• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Mega Drive Ultimate Collection announced for PS3/360

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I don't think I am capable of getting excited over yet another Genesis collection, I shall stick with the Gametap.

Burai

shitonmychest57
_dementia said:
They aren't straight ports though.
SoR2 and Sonic 2 XBLA have online multiplayer.

Ikaruga, SamSho II, etc have online play and therefore are exempt

Ikaruga is exempt because it was rendered at 720p.

SamSho II was exempt because SNK had already passed it for certification long before they released it and before Microsoft dropped the banhammer.

SNK are now releasing the rest of their XBLA ports as a disc compilation just as Sega and Namco are doing.

mollipen

Burai said:
SNK are now releasing the rest of their XBLA ports as a disc compilation just as Sega and Namco are doing.

If that (a) is true, and (b) somehow causes the games not to have online multiplayer, I swear to god I will burn Microsoft to the ground.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Burai said:
Ikaruga is exempt because it was rendered at 720p.

SamSho II was exempt because SNK had already passed it for certification long before they released it and before Microsoft dropped the banhammer.

Where are you getting your info on the SNK Disc?

ghibli99

brain_stew said:
If your eyes are broke, perhaps. There aint no way in hell you can say this looks anything other than vomit inducing if you have even the most basically functioning eyes:
Seriously. Done w/ this thread. :(

Ranger X

If this collection let me play in the correct screen ratio and if i can turn off this shit filter of ultimate uglyness i will consider purshasing this.

filters are as bad as getting ripped off on digital releases on old classics.

i guess both ends will never learn. this would have been perfect opportunity without filters.....

Fox

Banned
two things are important for this collection:

sonic 1 in japanese version (usa/pal sux)
sonic & knuckles with lock on possibilities.

or else, shame on you sega.

Jim

720p shots:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

I prefer giant chunky pixels.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
MMaRsu said:
There's the reason not more Sega classics are on XBLA.

Fuck that shit. I don´t want to play 40 fucking megadrive games, there are probably only a few on that dvd that will interest me.

Fuck this shit ?!? Do you want to pay each game $6-8 like on Wii's VC? If they price it anywhere close to its PS2/PSP brothers it is well worth your money!

Rolf NB

solarplexus said:
More than 40 games (Mega Drive, Master System, 80's Arcade): Sonic 1, 2, & 3, Columns, Alien Storm, Ecco the Dolphin, Space Harrier, Streets of Rage 1, 2 & 3, etc.

Developer: Backbone Entertainment

You can play all games in 720p.

Release Spring 2009 worldwide.

source http://www.gamefront.de
Stupid unlockables confirmed?

Apenheul

I probably already own most of those on the VC/Wii and the Sega Genesis Collection on PS2, I think for people who don't own a Wii or Sega Genesis Collection this might be a nice ultimate collection. If visuals really are such a big deal then just get the VC versions.

Benedict

Not a single shoot-em-up on the list.

Why?
That was one of the benefits of the Megadrive,
Loads of great shoot-em-ups.

Not a single one.

WaltJay

Complete list of games. Also, it looks like it'll be $29.99.

Link to official site

Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
Alien Storm
Altered Beast
Beyond Oasis
Bonanza Bros.
Columns
Comix Zone
Decap Attack starring Chuck D. Head
Dr. Robotnik's MBM
Dynamite Headdy
Ecco the Dolphin
Ecco II: The Tides of Time
E-SWAT
Fatal Labyrinth
Flicky
Gain Ground
Golden Axe I
Golden Axe II
Golden Axe III
Kid Chameleon
Phantasy Star II
Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom
Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millennium
Ristar
Shining in the Darkness
Shining Force
Shining Force 2
Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
Sonic 3D Blast
Sonic and Knuckles
Sonic Spinball
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Sonic the Hedgehog 3
Streets of Rage
Streets of Rage 2
Streets of Rage 3
Super Thunder Blade
Vectorman
Vectorman 2

*Unlockable games to be revealed soon!

mollipen

From the video, Vectorman is also included.

Edit: Hah, guess nobody cares about my little bit of news thanks to the post before me. Jerk. And seriously, Phantasy Star better be one of those "unlockable" games, plus I'm sure not seeing a lot of arcade titles on there from a quick glance.

WaltJay

$29.99 isn't too bad considering the amount of content. I was obsessed with Shining Force back in the day. Because of that game, I automatically think every javelin-throwing character has to be half-horse. :lol

Ranger X

OMG @ the list. All the games i would buy on VC are there.

PLEASE SEGA make so i can turn of the fucking filter and also play in proper screen ratio.

WaltJay

ChrisGoldstein said:
I really hope they add achievements but I'm getting it anyway, will love to take a stroll down memory lane lol

All X360 games must have achievements, so I think you're safe (that is, if you're getting that version).

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
They just took the original sprites and applied a Median filter to it. What a horrible, lazy way to upscale.

Whoever is in charge of this should be ashamed of themselves.

Jim

WaltJay said:
All X360 games must have achievements, so I think you're safe (that is, if you're getting that version).

Achievements and Trophies:
UNLOCKABLE CONTENT. Unlock arcade games and interviews with the original game developers as you earn Achievements on the Xbox 360® and Trophies on the PLAYSTATION®3.

Those 720P shots look like any free pc emulator available.
I hate that look, luckily I still have my Megadrive II (+8 bit adapter) hooked up.

kuYuri

Damn, I just bought the PS2 Sega Genesis Collection not too long ago. @_@

But that filter is ugly. Ugh.

Also, inb4PrincessSkittles

So they basically just ported an emulator and slapped on HQ3x. Well, at least at $30 you're paying $0.75 per game, much more realistic pricing for ROM dumps.

Ranger X

jetjevons said:
LOLz at all the hate. Day 1 for me, filters be damned!

To me this is like listening to music with only with one ear. Watching a movie in a black and white TV, etc.
If it's not proper screen ratio and display you simply miss on the experience. I'm deceived at you. (and all those young people out there listening their music with only one headphone in the bus)

WaltJay

BobFromPikeCreek said:
Those filters are optional, right? Cause they look like butt. I hate filters.

I think they are optional on the XBLA versions, so I would imagine they would be on the disc version, since both are developed by Backbone.

mollipen

Wow, I totally read that name as Sega's Ultimate Genesis Collection, not Sonic's. WTF at that name. Oh, and when Sega says "Massive multiplayer options" on that site, they mean playing in the same room with other players. Yeah, great, that's a massive amount of options. Joy.

Rolf NB

twinturbo2 said:
Hm, I wonder what the unlockables will be. At $30, I'll buy. :D
Space Harrier (mentioned in the op) is obviously absent.

edit: why is there no Alex Kidd In Miracle World? That's really important!

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
bcn-ron said:
Space Harrier (mentioned in the op) is obviously absent.

edit: why is there no Alex Kidd In Miracle World? That's really important!
Arcade-perfect Space Harrier? AWESOME! :D

Now what about Hang-On? Super Hang-On?

JudgeN said:
Why the hell can't sega make a worthwhile collection? Like the "Shining Force collection" it includes Shining Holy Ark, Shining Force 1-3 for saturn all in 720p. SEGA MAKE THIS HAPPEN SCREW THE OTHER SHIT!!!

Hell yes.

Lindsay said:
SOLD

Its about time they bothered to re-release this game!

Isn't it out on the VC too?

Busty

Banned
Pai Pai Master said:
If they released these games individually on PSN/XBLA you could probably expect them to be $5-10 each. Depending on what games are in this bundle in the final lineup it could be well worth it.

That's an excellent point actually.

jman2050

1. Get Gametap
2. Get Fatal Labyrinth, E-Swat, Shining Force 2 and Super Thunder Blade through other means.
3. Skip this

Problem solved.

Top Bottom