• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega of America workers overwhelmingly vote to unionize

_Ex_

"We are overjoyed to celebrate our union election win as members of AEGIS-CWA. From the start of this campaign, it has been clear that we all care deeply about our work at Sega," Sega translator and AEGIS-CWA member Ángel Gómez said in a statement. "Now, through our union, we’ll be able to protect the parts of our jobs we love, and strengthen the benefits, pay, and job stability available to all workers. Together we can build an even better Sega. We hope our victory today is an inspiration to other workers across the gaming industry. Together, we can raise standards for all workers across the industry.”

9th-gen-selling-points-redux.jpg

Corndog

Banned
Hopefully it improves their quality of life. Developers get treated like trash throughout the Industry from what I heard, with few exceptions.
I’m not 100 percent against unions. But most of the time they seem to just make things worse. Maybe if you have ethical people involved.

Tedditalk

I’m not 100 percent against unions. But most of the time they seem to just make things worse. Maybe if you have ethical people involved.

Yeah middle management problems. I just do not think there is any other way for workers to combat company greed other than by collectivizing and then leveraging that power. Any other arrangement I seen, they could just utilize scab workers to get the stuff done at much lower rates, displacing workers. I am open to new ideas though.

For fuck sake, Sega of América always do the minimum, the lowest effort and they need a union? Why?

This is for middle man PR and management, not developers, the real people Who work their asses

Reactions: Isa

chlorate

So, if workers unionize to get their fair share of the profits, do these guys want their fair share of the losses? This is Sega we’re talking about after all, they don’t make money

Not trying to be political, I’m just wondering how this company can possibly stay afloat

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Interesting definition of victory!

Lets see what happens when they try collectively bargaining for something the management isn't willing to budge on!

Its interesting that this is announced at what, 2 or 3 months into the WGA strike? You'd think that writers for movies and tv would have way more leverage given how time-sensitive that sort of media production is, but yeah...

Sorry, but especially for people in low-level positions such as QA, withdrawal of labour is an empty threat. Builds will just end up outsourced to different sites and providers, most likely overseas.

At least in the US the depression of wages and benefits directly correlates to the decline of collective bargaining. Hopefully this union will be beneficial for its members and work with management to fight that trend.

Corndog

Banned
Yeah middle management problems. I just do not think there is any other way for workers to combat company greed other than by collectivizing and then leveraging that power. Any other arrangement I seen, they could just utilize scab workers to get the stuff done at much lower rates, displacing workers. I am open to new ideas though.
I thought about it. Maybe after so many years at a company you automatically become tenured. The problem would be what would stop the company from laying off people right before tenure.

Edit:
What we really need is more honest, ethical people.

Last edited:

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
What we really need is more honest, ethical people.
Companies are changing, but everything done for employees is actually smoke and mirrors.

Like FTO (Free Time Off), where in theory you can basically take as many days off as you need, is all BS, people actually take less days when the days are not accounted for.

I'm all for union, the issues are that like the managers of companies, unions can also be corrupt.

Companies are changing, but everything done for employees is actually smoke and mirrors.

Like FTO (Free Time Off), where in theory you can basically take as many days off as you need, is all BS, people actually take less days when the days are not accounted for.

I'm all for union, the issues are that like the managers of companies, unions can also be corrupt.
Free time off is a joke and a ripoff to employees. Unions ARE corrupt.

night13x

Sweet that means double denuvo, $300 cosmetic and item pack dlc, $50 story DLC cut out from the game, and more botched steam releases than there has been recently so far.

Im only half way kidding.

Corndog

Banned

I’ve seen too much garbage from unions to ever fully support them. But I do understand being a powerless peon inside a large corporation. You can always be replaced.

Reactions: Isa

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I’ve seen too much garbage from unions to ever fully support them. But I do understand being a powerless peon inside a large corporation. You can always be replaced.
That's why I think most people should take more agency, or also realize it's just a job. People often get so much anxiety from a work place, and unless you're a brain surgeon or such, is it really life and death? I've been trying my best to let that go for the past years, understanding that it's just a job.

Barakov

This seems like bad news but we'll see. The idea of unions is not the worst idea and they're beneficial to workers in some industries but the corruption overall in unions is pretty bad. The videogame industry has enough problems as it is and adding unions into that and you're going see things get worse for all parties involved. Including us the ones that buy games.

Last edited:

Fbh

Sega of America is mostly just a bunch of marketing, sales, PR and maybe localization people, right? Not really anyone making actual games.

Good for them I guess, I hope it works out how they expected

JCK75

Ugh.. the right to unionize is important.. as in.. when things jusrt are not right you get together and demand some change..
then when you get what you wanted.. you disband and go on about your job..

Keeping a full time union just rewards mediocrity.

Top Bottom