• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega only making 4 retail IPs, closes 5 publishing offices, focuses on digital

They'll probably try to use the ports and main franchises to get by for the time being, alongside other digital releases. As long SEGA stops screwing-up, and perhaps even splits off from Sammy and into the hands of a different owner/co-merge, they should be fine.

You would think since digital release can typically be smaller than retail disc games, we might FINALLY get some of Sega's classic arcade-only racers like Super GT at home. The Daytona port was beautiful, but I feel like it's the only one we'll get. :(

a Sega community source tipped me on Daytona USA 2 a while ago. I heard about JSR Vita a good while before its announcement, so I'm still optimistic.

Aru

So, if only those 4 IPs get physical releases, what happens to other SEGA IPs ? Shelved or will SEGA be released those on DD platforms only ? SEGA should probably sell some IPs they don't "want" anymore: niche games like Shining or Valkyria series.

Busty

Banned
All in all it's very sad but I have a feeling this won't be the last we'll seeing of this kind of cost cutting move in the video game biz over the next few years. :(

And since when did Aliens become a 'cornerstone IP' for SEGA?

1-D_FTW

You only have to look at Sega to see why Nintendo will never willingly go 3rd party - it is a death sentence.

If Sega had the same franchise popularity as Nintendo, they never would have had to. They didn't die because they went third party, they went third party because their titles weren't popular enough to support a console. This is just a continuation of that.

And I'm sorry, but it's been forever since Nagoshi has made a game I've loved. This was an incredible asset that's been completely squandered IMO.

a Sega community source tipped me on Daytona USA 2 a while ago. I heard about JSR Vita a good while before its announcement, so I'm still optimistic.

Tell them if they're gonna port everything to PC, this is the one game that shouldn't be excluded. Daytona USA on the PS3 is crap with a G27. At the default settings, it makes the controller do a death rattle and if you turn things down in-game, there's almost no FFB. Being able to adjust things with the flexibility of a PC could have made the FFB work perfectly.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
"At the moment for us those are the four IPs we are talking about, they are our AAA IP. At the moment we are looking into options of course, but it's not like we are already developing some other titles in addition to that, no," said Post.
Well then.

My concern is what happens when the legacy titles run out. It's one thing for JSR HD to do well for an enhanced port, but would that be enough to justify a new JSR.

Reportedly, a new JSR was in development and was cancelled around the time that the initial restructuring was announced about three months back.

*sniff*

You had a good run Sega. I'll always keep my Dreamcast.

snake_salute-600x300.jpg

Someone needs to buy the remains of sega and do something with it. They're sitting on a goldmine of IPs and have no idea (or not enough money) to do a darn thing about it.

Well, at least we might get PSO2......

Every developer that is under direct employment of Sega needs to leave now. NOW! The ones that did contract games strictly for publishing like Vanquish did its cool if that is a one shot deal, any other studio that is in bed with this necrotic company needs to make an exit strategy now.

Sega honestly has outlived its usefulness to the industry, and when its flag ship mascot titles range from embarrassing to turd, I won't miss them.

Every developer that is under direct employment of Sega needs to leave now. NOW! The ones that did contract games strictly for publishing like Vanquish did its cool if that is a one shot deal, any other studio that is in bed with this necrotic company needs to make an exit strategy now.

Sega honestly has outlived its usefulness to the industry, and when its flag ship mascot titles range from embarrassing to turd, I won't miss them.
Sonic Colors and Sonic Generations would like a word with you.

What are the odds that Sega actually turns a profit on Colonial Marines, considering its long development? It might end up being a pretty good game, but it's releasing in an exceptionally crowded Q1 and just doesn't look that distinct from other entries in the genre.

Hopefully they make a new Valkyria Chronicles or a port of the first one for Vita. I don't care about Aliens, Sonic, Total War or Football Manager...

RedSwirl

You only have to look at Sega to see why Nintendo will never willingly go 3rd party - it is a death sentence.

Well really it was the Sammy restructuring of Sega's second party developers that killed their console software business in my eyes. Between 2000 and 2004 Sega was putting out great multiplatform games.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Really horrible, I liked Sega Germany :(. Good luck to all the employees!

Why don't they mention Monkey Ball? I get that there won't even be one for Wii U launch but do they really plan on not releasing any more Monkey Balls? Monkey Ball seemed to be quite a healthy and cheap to develop brand :/. And a Vita game is still coming.

Well really it was the Sammy restructuring of Sega's second party developers that killed their console software business in my eyes. Between 2000 and 2004 Sega was putting out great multiplatform games.

The problem was they weren't putting out great multiplatform games, they were putting out great games on multiple platforms. They should have gone truly multiplatform from day 1, not 1 game on 1 platform, a different game on a different platform and so on.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
They should just rerelease all Dreamcast games and remind us what good games used to be like. Games that you didn't care how long the campaign was because it was so good you would want to replay it forever.

That's right, I'm talking about Zombie Revenge.

On another note: Am I the only one in love with their IPs? Like, I thoroughly enjoy Sega Tennis purely because I think all of their characters are ridiculously charming compared to anything other companies have produced, including Nintendo.

Was there any major event that caused the house of cards to fall so flat and so fast? All I can think of Amusement centres in Japan doing poorly and also Mario & Sonic doing the same (now that would be a headline, Mario & Sonic kill SEGA). Or is this cost-cutting to avoid a worse future. At least wastage like emulating the same game twice (Backbone, M2) is eliminated.

Hopefully we'll still see released a PSO2 version in the west...
I'm worried that if we do it ends up being like PSU. Starts off behind on content (understandable due to launching later) and only gets worse there on out to the point most keen players leave for Japan.

Aim for that £20 game market from the start, you might be surprised at the success away from £40 retail bombas.
Unless SEGA have been idiots for the past decade they have been aiming at the £20 market. I mean anything they release ends up about there in a few months.

As for why not go there to begin with? Well selling 100,000 copies to retail at ~£30 then price protecting (refunding) them £10 in a few months time is money in the bank.

I would rather have Sega Saturn games with slightly upgraded graphics.

By slightly I mean higher res, flitering, make them not look pixelated in HD, but not true HD. Create an emulator already that can do this, and add some sweet effects to the game.

Shining Force3, Panzer Dragon Saga, Panzer Dragon Zwei, Burning Rangers, Astal, etc.

Sadly the Dreamcast games I loved the most where all Capcom games.
Powerstone 2, Powerstone 1, Rival Schools, Marvel VS Capcom 2, etc.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
The problem was they weren't putting out great multiplatform games, they were putting out great games on multiple platforms. They should have gone truly multiplatform from day 1, not 1 game on 1 platform, a different game on a different platform and so on.

This is a very good point. They tried to be far too clever with their multiplatform strategy and aim certain titles at certain consoles.

They have never quite 'got' multiplatform development and what it means to be a third party.

Even Sonic. One year you have Colours on DS and Wii, next year you have Generations on PS3, Xbox, PC, 3DS? Makes no sense. Complete waste.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Sega Benelux or at least the Belgian portion of it was just one guy, but it still sucks he lost his job of course. Went to see The Conduit at the French offices a few years back with him and although stressful it seemed like a job he really enjoyed.

Shion

No, Sammy is what killed SEGA.

After the merger between the two, Sammy didn't have the slightest clue about how to manage multiple studios, they fucked everything up and SEGA never recovered ever since.

abadguy

Banned
Pretty heartbreaking seeing what's become of Sega in recent years, as someone who was a diehard Sega fan since the Master System days.

chris3116

This is a very good point. They tried to be far too clever with their multiplatform strategy and aim certain titles at certain consoles.

They have never quite 'got' multiplatform development and what it means to be a third party.

Even Sonic. One year you have Colours on DS and Wii, next year you have Generations on PS3, Xbox, PC, 3DS? Makes no sense. Complete waste.

I don't remember but didn't Colours outsell Generations.

Meier

As long as I get my yearly Football Manager fix.. I'm all good on the Sega front. Haven't played a Sonic game in who knows how long.

Top Bottom