• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega only making 4 retail IPs, closes 5 publishing offices, focuses on digital

MormaPope

Banned
Sega for the love of fuck release more dreamcast games digitally. Jet Set radio HD is a great start, but Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia would greatly help out now and it would/must've been pretty straightforward to port these games.

MarkusRJR

Ugh Sega has so many quality IPs it's such a waste how they've turned out.

We should have seen...
-ChuChu Rocket on all downloadable services
-Shenmue 3
-Space Channel 5 using motion controls ala Dance Central
-Awesome Sonic games (well, this is the only thing they've been doing right so far I guess)
-NiGHTS that didn't suck and have shitty platforming tossed in
-A new Crazy Taxi game for downloadable services
-Panzer Dragoon
-A new single player Phantasy Star ala Final Fantasy.
-Samba de Amigo with WORKING motion controls
-A new Shinobi game for 360/PS3
-Bayonetta 2
-A new Jet Set Radio game
-Skies of Arcadia 2
-A new awesome Super Monkey Ball game
-Revitalized IP's from the genesis era
-Shining Force 4

We got way too many licensed games and games that were just shit. I liked some of what they did this gen (Valkyrie Chronicles, Yakuza, Sonic Generations, Condemned, HotD: Overkill, Bayonetta) but it's not hard to see how they got in this position (along with help from Sammy). Fucking depressing... :(

GUYS

Is this just Sega Europe or the whole of SEGA? Because the thread title is really misleading.

If so, then there's a ton of FUD in this thread.

iavi

Sega for the love of fuck release more dreamcast games digitally. Jet Set radio HD is a great start, but Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia would greatly help out now and it would/must've been pretty straightforward to port these games.

Right now, we know Sonic Adventure 2 and Jet Set Radio are coming, at the least. If JSR sells, I can see a Future port being put on the short list, and rumours have been to Skies and Shenmue.

I'm hopeful.

RedSwirl

This is a very good point. They tried to be far too clever with their multiplatform strategy and aim certain titles at certain consoles.

They have never quite 'got' multiplatform development and what it means to be a third party.

Even Sonic. One year you have Colours on DS and Wii, next year you have Generations on PS3, Xbox, PC, 3DS? Makes no sense. Complete waste.

Good point, but as I remember it the real reason this happened is because each of Sega's studios probably decided independently what console they wanted to focus on.

AM2 and Overworks generally focused on the PS2 with stuff like Virtua Fighter 4 and Shinobi. Smilebit focused on the Xbox with Panzer Dragoon Orta, Gunvalkyrie, and Jet Set Radio Future. Finally Sonic Team decided to focus on the Gamecube with Sonic and Phantasy Star.

We should have seen...
-Shenmue 3
-Awesome Sonic games (well, this is the only thing they've been doing right so far I guess)
-Panzer Dragoon
-Bayonetta 2
-Skies of Arcadia 2
-Shining Force 4

We got way too many licensed games and games that were just shit. I liked some of what they did this gen (Valkyrie Chronicles, Yakuza, Sonic Generations, Condemned, HotD: Overkill, Bayonetta) but it's not hard to see how they got in this position (along with help from Sammy). Fucking depressing... :(

As much as I love Sega's old IP's. I think the company was always at their best when they were developing new franchises and not regurgitating the old ones. The Genesis and Dreamcast generations of consoles both come to mind here. During the Genesis era, Sega's Japanese studios were churning out all sorts of new franchises that have become considered classics now. Even Sega's American teams during the 16 bit years produced a lot of great things.

During the Dreamcast era, all of Sega's Japanese studios were making new producing new franchises like crazy. Outside of Sonic, Phantasy Star Online, and the odd Sega arcade port, it was all mostly new stuff. Jet Set Radio, Rez, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Samba de Amigo, Crazy Taxi, Chu Chu Rocket, Space Channel 5, Virtua Tennis... those were all franchises developed during the Dreamcast years.

Sega used to be a company that never relied on their old franchises to keep them going. They always kept things fresh, even during the worst of times back then. And always produced new series that you couldn't find previous Sega consoles. Same could be said for the Master System and Saturn generations too, so many original franchises exclusive to both those consoles.

They used to be one of the most creatively progressive developers out there. But these days they are nothing more than a shadow of their former selves.

Though, you still have to give Sega credit for publishing some of the Platinum game titles.

Culex

Banned
GUYS

Is this just Sega Europe or the whole of SEGA? Because the thread title is really misleading.

Sega EUROPE!

Look at the titles being discussed in the OP, all European-centric and well selling franchises.

Sega JP and Sega USA are all doing their own separate restructuring under Sammy.

Conan-san

At some point, you have to start wonderng what the leadership of Sega Sammy is going to do. Pachinko is the only business unit that's really profitable for them. I figure they'll make a deal to sell off a package of Sega IP, scrap the Consumer & Amusement Facility division and scale back the Amusement Machines.
Thing is, Pachinko does mad bank. Literately, Sega could stop making games right htis moment and the pachinko money would last them indefinitely.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Can Sega please just sell the IP for Condemned back to Monolith, so maybe I can have my Condemned 3?

Thing is, Pachinko does mad bank. Literately, Sega could stop making games right htis moment and the pachinko money would last them indefinitely.

Same thing is true of Konami, or Williams, or anyone else who got into the "gaming" business along with the games business.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls

We should have seen...
-Shenmue 3
-Panzer Dragoon
-Bayonetta 2
-Skies of Arcadia 2
-Shining Force 4
Pretty much all of this + release Phantasy Star Online on a non-handheld. Can anyone explain why the game that began it all, online action rpg on a console, moved its sequels onto handhelds during the genre boom?

Pretty much all of this + release Phantasy Star Online on a non-handheld. Can anyone explain why the game that began it all, online action rpg on a console, moved its sequels onto handhelds during the genre boom?

The pack of turds running that company couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery.

We don't really know the full extent of what they plan for Digital platforms going forward either. You couldn't walk into a store and buy a VF5FS disc but that doesn't mean the game isn't readily available for a lot of people to buy. PSO2 had already adapted itself to a digital future and from what people have said from the alpha, closed and now open betas it's everything a PSO fan could want.

While it's too early and uncertain to be wildly optimistic, there's a definite possibility that the only thing that could stand in the way of people enjoying many classic Sega experiences is an aversion to not really owning a physical disc in order to access the games.

Glix

So...

Virtua Fighter, Bayonetta, Shenmue, and Space channel 5 are the four franchises? (and maybe Shining Force)

Right?

RIGHT?

*cries*

SmithnCo

So...

Virtua Fighter, Bayonetta, Shenmue, and Space channel 5 are the four franchises? (and maybe Shining Force)

Right?

RIGHT?

*cries*

Shenmue? THEY'RE BRINGING IT BACK, BABY!

:(

We should have seen...
-Shenmue 3
-Panzer Dragoon
-Bayonetta 2
-Skies of Arcadia 2
-Shining Force 4

Okay, reading this thread is just depressing. ChuChu Rocket on HD consoles should've happened a long time ago for one thing.

ArjanN

Isn't retail way more important for AAA titles? I don't think SEGA could sustain the Yakuza franchise as it is only by DD tbh.

Well, to be honest I was speaking more from a PC gamer perspective, where retail is already dead to me.

Are games like Yakuza even technically "AAA" titles though? I figured compared to something like an Assassin's Creed, GTA, Call of Duty etc. they were probably (relatively) cheap.

Glass Rebel

Well, to be honest I was speaking more from a PC gamer perspective, where retail is already dead to me.

Are games like Yakuza even technically "AAA" titles though? I figured compared to something like an Assassin's Creed, GTA, Call of Duty etc. they were probably (relatively) cheap.

Yakuza is certainly less expensive than these other franchises and AAA might not apply but I still think it has a decent budget that couldn't be recouped with a digital release only, especially when it's such a Japanese centric game.

I'd still love to play it on PC though!

Rlan

From the sounds of it this is 4 retail titles within US development. SEGA Japan gets to do whatever it wants with Yakuza & Phantasy Star etc.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
GUYS

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Sega Europe isn't developing 50-75 digital titles a year, which is the other half of this quote.

From the sounds of it this is 4 retail titles within US development. SEGA Japan gets to do whatever it wants with Yakuza & Phantasy Star etc.

While I am expecting retail Miku and Yakuza games for now, I feel it's worth noting there's no signs of a Phantasy Star game that isn't PSO2 right now, and that was by far one of their biggest Japanese retail titles.

Yakuza 1 & 2 deserve an HD digital remake. The frame rates, load times, and cameras of both games suck to the point of rendering them nearly unplayable today. It would be easy money in Japan and since the western localization is already done might as well give 'em a western release even though the sales will be modest.

Yakuza 1 & 2 HD Vita? like I said, easy money for Sega in Japan (at least) if Sega wants to make money, which I'm not sure given how they operate.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly

I don't think Sega Japan have restructured yet.

It's not like they have much internal development left over there, any way.

ArjanN

Yakuza is certainly less expensive than these other franchises and AAA might not apply but I still think it has a decent budget that couldn't be recouped with a digital release only, especially when it's such a Japanese centric game.

I'd still love to play it on PC though!

You're probably right. I agree with what you said earlier though:

If SEGA manage this right old fans could profit from this. Lots of their old franchises don't really lend themselves to a retail model but would stand out in the digital space if they manage to make some quality titles.

A lot of their franchises would work very well as digital titles.

We should have seen...
-Shenmue 3
-Panzer Dragoon
-Bayonetta 2
-Skies of Arcadia 2
-Shining Force 4

Most of those games wouldn't sell.

That's part of the problem. The market has changed.

Such a lame topic

Sega Europe should have been in the thread title but hey, let's not put that in and make the news sound way worse than it is.

It's one word. Europe.

Yagharek

This is why you don't go third party :(

Sega used to be one of the most creative publishers in the business. Why wasn't that enough?!

buy their games if you want them to stay alive. don't wait until they drop down to 10 pounds and complain afterwards.

Such a lame topic

Sega Europe should have been in the thread title but hey, let's not put that in and make the news sound way worse than it is.

It's one word. Europe.

not punchy enough.

Spiegel

While I am expecting retail Miku and Yakuza games for now, I feel it's worth noting there's no signs of a Phantasy Star game that isn't PSO2 right now, and that was by far one of their biggest Japanese retail titles.

I'm confused. What were you expecting exactly from Phantasy Star?

Phantasy Star Portable games were based on the most recent Phantasy Star game at that time (PSU).
PSO2 is the next Phantasy Star game and it's getting a handheld release.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I was playing Orta and remembered when I first played it thinking, 'Man, this is okay but not great. I hope Sega gets out of this slump.'

AND THAT WAS 10 YEARS AGO

bjork

This is why you don't go third party :(

Sega used to be one of the most creative publishers in the business. Why wasn't that enough?!

It was all downhill after Tom Kalinske left. Having an easily pirated format for the DC didn't help matters. No sales, no stability.

I'm totally ready for a GOOD company to buy Sega and all it's IP.

Like how about Square-Enix or Capcom.

Just not EA or Activision.

BUT, we need PSO in English 1st.

I don't even know why they are dragging ass on that one. It looks great.

BD1

Banned

Oh, I get that. But at what point does the boss of Sega-Sammy Holding say "Wow, we make a lot of yen on Pachinko... How much more could we be making without Sega's massive losses."

Not saying it would definitely happen, but in my opinion, these massive reorgs look like the last desperation attempt to become profitable. Another year of big losses from the three "Sega" divisions, and a the pure profit of a big IP portfolio sale looks pretty attractive.

Busty

Banned
Can Sega please just sell the IP for Condemned back to Monolith, so maybe I can have my Condemned 3?

SEGA just published the Condemned games for Warner Bros.

All the ("modern") Monolith IPs barring NOLF are owned by WB.

I'm totally ready for a GOOD company to buy Sega and all it's IP.

Samsung? Given what they are doing with Gaikai it doesn't sound as ludicrous as it did 5 years ago.

Im not saying Samsung will put out a new SEGA console but if they are serious about a gaming service across TVs, phones, tablets etc they could so worse than buying SEGA and using that brand and it's IPs.

Just sayin......

Top Bottom