• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA registers Shenmue HD domain

ajim

Goddamn it i hope so!!

It would honestly be a let down if it was just shenmue 1 and not shenmue 2 combined with it.

200.gif

jobrro

Really hope they follow through. Would love to conveniently play the first two before the third comes out.

Megatron

Sega of Europe is PC central, so you gotta think this will come to the PC if nothing else. If it's planned for PC, PS4 and Switch, maybe the game's announcement was delayed until the Switch's presentation, which is why we haven't heard anything from Sega on the PC port front in a long time ... they've been waiting for Nintendo to give the green light.

Yeah, Sega sure has released a lot of Sonic, Hatsune Miku and Yakuza games on the Xbox One.

The funny thing is, of all four modern platforms only Xbox has had a Shenmue game.

OrochiJR

Gold Member
Is Shenmue still worth playing? Will someone who never played played the series be able to thoroughly enjoy it?

I backed Shenmue 3 with nearly 200 bucks, and consider myself a fan of the series... which I played back in the day when they were released in Europe. I honestly don't know how they hold up or if I would recommend them to someone who does not have a nostalgic connection to the games. What was fascinating at the time where the state of the art graphics and the open world concept. But the games' graphics, although great at the time, look very dated now, and the open world stuff has been built upon and been featured in so many other games that the novelty of it will be lost on first time players today. Also the games controls were already clunky at the time of release, this HAS to be addressed if they are indeed remastering both games.

I would say just try it to see how you like it. The story is nice and the OST is one of the best if that helps. ;)

Spaghetti

Is Shenmue still worth playing? Will someone who never played played the series be able to thoroughly enjoy it?
Maybe. It's timeless in the sense that if you don't like it now you probably wouldn't have liked it when it came out. Worth a shot, and when in doubt- skip to II and watch the digest movie for the first game.

If it clicks with you, it clicks for good. It's a very endearing series if your tastes align with what it offers.

--------

ANYWAY

Some people in the Shenmue community were tipped off about this last year. A few other domains relating to a Shenmue remaster were registered too, though one contained a typo if I remember what I was told rightly.

I believe these kinds of registrations can be faked, so remain optimistic, but take a pinch of salt with this news.

There are imo, two areas of Shenmue that hasn't held up well, and that is the English voice-acting and the controls, but aside from that, the game is still an amazing experience.

Part of enjoying Shenmue is not going in with the notion that it's any sort of "open-world" game or the sorts. More than anything else, it's closer to a point-and-click style adventure game set in a dense sandbox that tries its best, with Dreamcast's raw power, to simulate the sensation of being in Japanese town.

Shadoken

If this is just a straight up port in HD , it will perform horribly. The controls of Shenmue 1 need to be updated with that of Shenmue 2 along with the QOL changes.

dreamstation

Gold Member
Never got to play Shenmue 2 as I didn't have an Xbox so hopefully they do a double pack. Then I'd be interested in Shenmue 3.

Daingurse

Cool stuff, really want to get into this franchise. Unfortunately was not into this type of game I was into as a kid, so I missed out.

Sooooooo, Skies of Arcadia HD domain registry next, right? riiight? Sigh . . .

Well wouldn't that be something?

For some godforsaken reason I backed Shenmue 3 for $60 even though I've never laid a finger on either S1 or 2. I also don't own a Dreamcast or any Xbox console so not even hunting down overpriced used copies is an option for me.

Release the HD remasters of these first two please. You're reviving the series, how about giving the chance to those uninitiated?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Polygon: "Here is a pie chart of Shenmue's sales cross-referenced with US Naval wage changes since 1986"

Do you know where I can find out how much sailors make?

Spaghetti

I guess this might be a good place to plug an interview Yu Suzuki did recently with Tekken's Katsuhiro Harada? It's kind of flew under the radar.

Switch from the Shenmue Dojo is currently doing a piece-by-piece translation. It was translated out of order to give priority to the Shenmue bits, but it's a really great read.

Part 1 - Creating Shenmue, Shenmue's Popularity in the West

Part 2 - VR, Career Progression, Technical Challenges

Yu also showed off some design artwork from Virtua Fighter RPG/early Shenmue, and a hint of a recent artwork from Shenmue III. Here are a couple:

DSC1161.jpg

Yu shows Harada a fortified tulou to be featured in Shenmue III.

SCAN0003-1.jpg

A Hong Kong cafe.

SCAN0028.jpeg

Ren's hideout.

SCAN0048.jpeg

A fishing mini-game design document - possibly from Shenmue III?

synce

Weren't they teasing some PC surprises for 2017 just a while ago? Was not expecting this but I'd gladly take it, just please let us choose Japanese text and voices

EoinOL

It might just be Sega maintaining control of their copyrights.
You can't just lose control of a copyright.

You (presumably) mean trademarks, because you can lose control of a trademark through lack of use, but a domain registration doesn't count as "use", and besides, the trademark on "Shenmue" is active.

It's inevitable and ONLY MAKES SENSE (hiring of developers/talent that were a part of the unofficial HD remake, Suzuki being very enthusiastic about it etc) that the collection will drop at least a year before III. BUT...

NOT BELIEVING ANYTHING UNTIL I SEE IT. BEEN BURNT NUMEROUS TIMES BEFORE. FUCKING SEGA.

Vash63

Guys, this has been registered since at least September 2016. If it is anything real, it's not a sign that an announcement is incoming. From the WHOIS:

Creation Date: 07-sep-2016

Machina

Banned
Shenmue HD in 2017.

Shenmue 3 in 2018.

And people called Shenmue fans hopeless dreamers.

It's just evidence of how far the industry has come. There is so much money flowing around that publishers really don't care what they publish because they figure it's going to sell at least a decent amount in the modern digital age.

Spaghetti

It's just evidence of how far the industry has come. There is so much money flowing around that publishers really don't care what they publish because they figure it's going to sell at least a decent amount in the modern digital age.
I would say it's more down to how a significantly active fanbase kept chipping away for years and years making themselves known.

Shenmue topping #BuildingTheList and the monthly #SaveShenmue campaigns definitely gave the involved parties a lot to think about.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Same . Had to smack my dreamcast like 100 times to get it to read.

I wonder if this would be a 4k supported remaster on the pro?

If it's not a major graphical overhaul then they could do 8K or more downsampled to 4K.

Top Bottom