• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA registers Shenmue HD domain

lawtowler

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but haven't we moved on from this? Aren't these games very dated at this point?

How exactly have people moved on from Shenmue? The franchise broke multiple Kickstarter records and Shenmue III is now entering full development.

What game from 1999 isn't dated now? That does not mean there's no scope for a remake/remaster. The demand is there

I hope it sells gangbusters so that Sega releases some other HD ports.

I played Shenmue 2 on a Euro Dreamcast back when it came out, but haven't played more than a few minutes since then. Really looking forward to revisiting these magical games.

Spaghetti

Ah yes.
This is the very first thing they should do, no one would put up with that control scheme today
Ehhh, that's a bit much. Tank controls or not, they only ever got hairy in close quarters... which is unfortunately where the game starts hahaha. If they make the B + analogue stick feature for tweaking Ryo's position apparent to players it shouldn't be too difficult with the old scheme.

I'd like to see them take a crack a dual analogue setup for real, but I doubt we'll get full 360 camera control.

Shion

If true I hope it's more than just a res bump, both Shenmue 1 and 2 are one of my favorite games ever, but honestly they didn't really age that well, it would be a shame if they came out with a lazy res bump shattering nostalgia of many gamers just before S3 hits.

A better voice acting would greatly enhance the type of experience that Shenmue is going for.

Personally, I've played the games countless times so I can stomach it, but I'm afraid it's going to be a deal-breaker for most newcomers.

Yeah, the best we can hope for is a fresh English translation of the Japanese script and a dual language track.
That would be great.

The controls aren't even that bad. It takes like 10 minutes tops to adjust to them. Could they be better? Sure. But I honestly wouldn't even care if they stayed exactly the same.

Spaghetti

The controls aren't even that bad. It takes like 10 minutes tops to adjust to them. Could they be better? Sure. But I honestly wouldn't even care if they stayed exactly the same.
The "clunkiness" is an unfortunate trade-off of moving through a realistically designed and filled environment, and sometimes I wonder if there's genuinely no sweet spot for doing it right.

I tried the Yakuza 6 demo the other day, which has much looser and I suppose "freer" controls than Shenmue, and I was catching on the environment all the time when navigating tight spaces like stairs. At least in Shenmue (II, at least, IDK about the original) you auto-corner on sets of stairs if you hold the run button.

Similarly in smaller spaces like stores I was still catching and bumping into stuff to a lesser extent, whereas with Shenmue I can at least move more deliberately because of the heaviness of the controls.

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
Remember when nokiasucks.com was registered by Nokia? Those were the days.

That said, I'd love to get a crack on an updated version.

Suzuki Yu

tank controls should stay in.
not only here but also in Shenmue 3.
i can't imagine playing any Shenmue game where i can rotate the camera around Ryo! seriously fuck that! it will destroy part of the immersion known in the originals. the camera should ALWAYS be behind the character and you can only control Ryo's head to look around.

the old controls is near perfect to me, it makes perfect sense for the experience. they only need to make use of the right analog to look around and maybe offer a left analog option for movement. also try to make use of the new features like touch pad for the notebook. that's it.

Hutchie

Seriously doubt they would change the controls. I'll take the hit, heck i would even accept digital only if they released 1 & 2 together. What would you guys accept as reasonable price? £20/$25?

LiK

As long as they offer an optional control scheme like RE1 Remastered,. I'm fine with them keeping the old archaic controls.

The "clunkiness" is an unfortunate trade-off of moving through a realistically designed and filled environment, and sometimes I wonder if there's genuinely no sweet spot for doing it right.

I tried the Yakuza 6 demo the other day, which has much looser and I suppose "freer" controls than Shenmue, and I was catching on the environment all the time when navigating tight spaces like stairs. At least in Shenmue (II, at least, IDK about the original) you auto-corner on sets of stairs if you hold the run button.

Similarly in smaller spaces like stores I was still catching and bumping into stuff to a lesser extent, whereas with Shenmue I can at least move more deliberately because of the heaviness of the controls.

I really like the heaviness to Ryo. I'm not into Yakuza, but I downloaded a demo of one of them on the PS3 and was turned off by how light the main character felt. Everything in the demo just felt really 'arcadey'.

Spaghetti

I really like the heaviness to Ryo. I'm not into Yakuza, but I downloaded a demo of one of them on the PS3 and was turned off by how light the main character felt. Everything in the demo just felt really 'arcadey'.
It's not for everyone. Same way Shenmue isn't for everyone.

I'll agree with the arcadey feel comment though, which is personally why I feel Shenmue and Yakuza are diametrically opposed despite skin-deep similarities; considering Shenmue was created as like a total 180 on Yu Suzuki's established arcade career.

I am fine with tank controls if I can manipulate Ryo with a single stick. If the camera never moves, moving left should be as easy as pressing left on the joystick. This is how Resident Evil 4 worked. None of this rotate-on-a-point-and-then-press-forward business.

Gigarator

Awww yeah!

Rp36X5M.gif

Liamario

Banned
How exactly have people moved on from Shenmue? The franchise broke multiple Kickstarter records and Shenmue III is now entering full development.

What game from 1999 isn't dated now? That does not mean there's no scope for a remake/remaster. The demand is there
I'm no talking about the franchise, but rather the gameplay in the original games. I don't think it's going to hold up to a new audience.

celsowmbr

Banned
Some clarifications guys:

These domains were registered four months ago, at the same time that Sega Europe's COO Jurgen Post was coming forward to explain that while the idea of releasing new versions of Shenmue 1 & 2 had their "full attention," they were not yet able to greenlight the project due to complications with product licensing.
A third of a year later, there has been no further news apart from this belated discovery of two domain names registered within days of those particular comments.
(Some sites are mistakenly reporting that the domain records have been recently updated. The date they are reading is the last refresh date of the WHOIS database - basically the last time the record was checked for changes, not the last time there were any.)

https://www.facebook.com/TeamYu/posts/1456346887710679:0?hc_location=ufi

well...

IMO, I see a positive side: the gaming press will question @SEGA_Europe again about ShenmueHD & maybe we'll get a new statement/status :D

I'm no talking about the franchise, but rather the gameplay in the original games. I don't think it's going to hold up to a new audience.

Eh, people for the most part accepted the controls of games like REmake, Resident Evil 4, Shadow of the Colossus, The Last Guardian etc.

As for the gameplay, I think it holds up really well as things considered. The atmosphere, immersion and overall experience completely shines through any flaws - at least it does for me. It's similar to any Ueda game.

Spaghetti

I don't think it's going to hold up to a new audience.
Anecdotally speaking, during the Kickstarter thread/in the community thread on GAF/LTTP threads/comments in passing, I've seen a lot of people have picked up the games in recent years and actually get along with it. I think there are even a few comments in this very thread from newcomers to the series.

Even beyond GAF the game can still be enjoyed by a new audience.

II is more palatable than the original because of pacing/quality of life improvements, but both games still have the capacity to grip players even today. Like it or not, Shenmue's style of gameplay is its identity. What's the point if you strip it of that?

The concept of a dated game is nebulous bullshit anyway.

tank controls should stay in.
not only here but also in Shenmue 3.
i can't imagine playing any Shenmue game where i can rotate the camera around Ryo! seriously fuck that! it will destroy part of the immersion known in the originals. the camera should ALWAYS be behind the character and you can only control Ryo's head to look around.

the old controls is near perfect to me, it makes perfect sense for the experience. they only need to make use of the right analog to look around and maybe offer a left analog option for movement. also try to make use of the new features like touch pad for the notebook. that's it.

The man has spoken.

Spaghetti

Why is Sega Europe in charge of it?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'd have to guess because SEGA Europe have made the most noise about Shenmue remasters in recent years that they'd be the ones controlling the reigns, or at least working on the negotiation and promotional aspects. SEGA USA was mostly gutted as a cost-saving measure, and SEGA Japan is, well, SEGA Japan.

There seems like genuine enthusiasm within the European division for the series too.

lawtowler

I understand your point however I have to disagree. Yes the controls are clunky but there are plenty of beloved and popular games around now that have control issues too.

I think it would hold up, I suppose it will be divisive - as it was 15 years ago!

Vash63

Some clarifications guys:

https://www.facebook.com/TeamYu/posts/1456346887710679:0?hc_location=ufi

well...

IMO, I see a positive side: the gaming press will question @SEGA_Europe again about ShenmueHD & maybe we'll get a new statement/status :D

I tried pointing this out back on post #240... It's really not that exciting of news once you realize it's months old. Considering they've already been sitting on it for months I really don't think an announcement is imminent just because people finally did a WHOIS on the domains.

¯_(ツ)_/¯

I'd have to guess because SEGA Europe have made the most noise about Shenmue remasters in recent years that they'd be the ones controlling the reigns, or at least working on the negotiation and promotional aspects. SEGA USA was mostly gutted as a cost-saving measure, and SEGA Japan is, well, SEGA Japan.

There seems like genuine enthusiasm within the European division for the series too.

I've been wondering why it would be Sega Europe too, and the best I can come up with is location, and the possibility that Blitworks have been brought back in by Sega to continue work on a Shenmue remaster. It makes sense after the success of the Kickstarter last year, and also last year, Blitworks said in an interview after the Kickstarter ended ton continue to voice support for the franchise.

I've learned to accept that 3D will never feel right like 2D did. Both Shenmue and Yakuza feel fine for me but neither are perfect.

Spaghetti

I tried pointing this out back on post #240... It's really not that exciting of news once you realize it's months old. Considering they've already been sitting on it for months I really don't think an announcement is imminent just because people finally did a WHOIS on the domains.
Never let logic get in the way of hype.

But really, I'm kidding. The Shenmue community sat on the knowledge of these domains for a little while for the exact reason that they were already months old before there were found.

Even though an announcement probably isn't on the horizon (if these are genuine), it might at least prompt SEGA for comment now they've come to light.

Top Bottom