• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA registers Shenmue HD domain

qcf x2

I'll buy it regardless, but I hope they put it on Steam so we can get awesome mods. On that note, as someone who backed the kickstarter, is it possible to switch my incoming copy from PS4 to PC?

Spaghetti

I'll buy it regardless, but I hope they put it on Steam so we can get awesome mods. On that note, as someone who backed the kickstarter, is it possible to switch my incoming copy from PS4 to PC?
You'll get to choose your platform when the backer surveys go out. Current plan is for them to launch this summer.

Sajko

I have a feeling this and these domains might be connected and we will get something concrete fairly soon.

Edit: They were previously teasing these announcements for the end of 2016.

Would have been announced at PSX.

PSX would have been a nice time to announce the Valkyria Revolution localization, but they did that at a separate event afterward. It feels like the Yakuza localizations are Sega's only presence at PSX and that may be because of Sony's influence.

Not really. SEGA aren't beholden to any agreement between YSnet and Sony, and can announce this on their own time.

Well they dont have to, but not syncing up and maybe piggy backing off some fresh Shenmue 3 news seems real dumb.

This is totally happening. I expect "here is the debut trailer for Shenmue 3, Also play Shenmue 1-2 HD on X-X-2017" at some point between now and E3

Spaghetti

Well they dont have to, but not syncing up and maybe piggy backing off some fresh Shenmue 3 news seems real dumb.

This is totally happening. I expect "here is the debut trailer for Shenmue 3, Also play Shenmue 1-2 HD on X-X-2017" at some point between now and E3
I just wouldn't expect a huge amount of synergy between the two. YSnet and SEGA are understandably keeping each other at arm's length with a clear dividing line about where individual rights and responsibilities begin and end.

firelogic

After watching Giant Bomb play Shenmue for a few episodes, there's no way I'm buying a remaster. I can see why it wasn't popular when it released.

Garlador

After watching Giant Bomb play Shenmue for a few episodes, there's no way I'm buying a remaster. I can see why it wasn't popular when it released.

Wasn't it, like, the 4th best-selling game on the Dreamcast of all time?

Also, a lot of people fell in love with later on. I only got around to playing Shenmue II on my Xbox 360 last year.

... I'm all in. Great game. Great series.

Spaghetti

They will announce it at E3 to pad the Shenmue 3 delay because that is NOT coming out in '17
Again, this is assuming there's any kind of synergy between the releases, which based on what we know there is not.

It is what it is. If Shenmue III was to be crowdfunded, SEGA had to distance themselves from the project to a very clear role as rights holder who licenced the IP out to Yu Suzuki and YSnet.

xviper

hope this happens and we got both games on ps4

Shenmue 3 is obviously gonna take a looooong time to come

I need those dual audios! Yeah, the japanese wasn't great either, but it's damnright way better than the English. Plus, for the sake of completness!

Chances of getting a PC version?

i feel like recently sega games are coming out on steam pretty often.

celsowmbr

Banned
Chances of getting a PC version?

RgtBCwK.png

never played much of these games so I dunno what I was missing but I feel like the Yakuza series being so prominent in the last decade will have dulled the charm that Shenmue had

or maybe I'm wrong and it will be fun to play.

Garlador

never played much of these games so I dunno what I was missing but I feel like the Yakuza series being so prominent in the last decade will have dulled the charm that Shenmue had

I only played it last year. It's definitely a product of its time, but it's also charming as hell, really fun, and I can still appreciate how innovative and impressive it was upon release. It's a fun journey that paved the way for countless other games we take for granted today, and while it's a tad rough by comparison, it was crafted on Dreamcast hardware and that utterly boggles my mind given its final scope and presentation.

Not really. SEGA aren't beholden to any agreement between YSnet and Sony, and can announce this on their own time.

Offcourse but it would have made sense, Boyes said playstation fans have been very very very vocal about the franchise at e3. :p And they love pleasing the fans at PSX. Yakuza localisations too.
I think it mostly means we're going to get it fall 2017 if it's happening, announcement at e3. Fingers crossed.

Yudoken

Hopefully it will be complete with everything a fan could wish (things like supporting both english and japanese dubs and more).
Native 16:9 support and other stuff would be pretty awesome to see, I'm really excited. .

Shenmue 1+2 officially on pc, hopefully this time it gets out instead of just not getting out.

Yakuza has really spoiled Shenmue.. To be honest, Shenmue doesn't hold up well at all. But it's still they were great games for the time.

And unless these HD versions have at least new controls (especially movement) then honestly i wouldn't bother :(

Trace

Banned
Yakuza has really spoiled Shenmue.. To be honest, Shenmue doesn't hold up well at all. But it's still they were great games for the time.

And unless these HD versions have at least new controls (especially movement) then honestly i wouldn't bother :(

I don't think they could get away with releasing them without new controls. It's painful to play them now.

openrob

Honestly, if this was just a PC port then it's not gonna be a big deal.

But a reworked, from the ground up, HD creation would be mindblowing

Spaghetti

I don't think they could get away with releasing them without new controls. It's painful to play them now.
I know this is the internet and hyperbole is on the menu 24/7, but do people reaaaaaally have this much problem adapting to old control schemes?

Maybe I'm a secret gaming wunderkind for being able to go back to old games I've never played before with weird controls (shout out to Headhunter on Dreamcast).

They'll probably add some tweaked control schemes in.

I know this is the internet and hyperbole is on the menu 24/7, but do people reaaaaaally have this much problem adapting to old control schemes?

Maybe I'm a secret gaming wunderkind for being able to go back to old games I've never played before with weird controls (shout out to Headhunter on Dreamcast).

They'll probably add some tweaked control schemes in.

I played Shenmue for the first time on my Dreamcast in 2009 and got used to the controls pretty fast.

They're dated but the game is by no means unplayable.

_Ryo_

Didn't Sega say they wouldn't do an HD remaster unless they could do it right? I think that would imply new control methods.

celsowmbr

Banned
More salt...

Update: According to various individuals who work in retail abroad—whose employment we verified—the game should come out in April. The remasters are titled Shenmue 1 & 2 Pack right now in their systems but that might change as we get closer to an announcement. Keep in mind that these individuals might have forged their information so take this with a grain of salt until Sega offers an official press release or statement.

http://www.icxm.net/x/sega-hd-shenmue-remaster-registered.html

Top Bottom