• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA releases Bayonetta (8-bit) on Steam

Soodanim

Gold Member
I don't want them on PC, because I know that they'll be definitive and I haven't even touched the Wii U's versions I've had since release. I don't want them from be wasted!

Piccoro

If for some reason Bayonetta 3 happens and its just PC/PS4, It would be the weirdest trilogy to grace consoles that I have ever seen.

Bayo 1 on Xbox 360 (PC maybe) since ps3 version sucks
Bayo 2 only on Wii U
Bayo 3...

What a weird story this would be, of course theres always emulation.
Bayo 1 is on Wii U and it's the best version.

Bayo 1 is on Wii U and it's the best version.

At least until the PC version shows up.

God I hope this is real, I bought the PS3 version when it was on sale and didn't know how shitty it ran. Playing it at 1080p/60 with proper anti aliasing is just gonna be amazing.

And maybe in the future, downsampled 4k!

Jacobson

The thought of Bayonetta at resolutions above 720p, a solid framerate, no slowdown...

giphy.gif

Doesn't Bayonetta run at 60fps on the Wii U?

Drek

I don't think Bayo 1 and 2 is that out of the question honestly.

First, SEGA worked with Nintendo for the Bayo 1 pack-in on Wii U already.

Second, It's not like the game is helping Nintendo sell Wii U's at this point.

Third, The financial requirements owed to SEGA on 2 likely make a Switch port non-viable at this point, but an agreement that sees SEGA porting both games to PC would also open the door for porting to the Tegra X1 based Switch, a system Nintendo very much needs content on, especially content that would appeal to the more "core" gamer.

The big question to me would pertain to how Bayo 2's engine was created on Wii U and how similar it was to Bayo 1. Bayo 1 was an X360 game so PC porting isn't much of an imaginative stretch. The Wii U is entirely different hardware and if the engine was heavily customized around it that could present a cost hurdle no one is willing to foot the bill for.

But beyond that something to the effect of SEGA saying "we'll pay for the PC port, you pay for porting that PC base to Switch, we take PC sales profits, you take Switch sales profits" is something I could see a reasonable decision maker at Nintendo saying yes to.

(I own the double set on my Wii U which I still play regularly so I'm rather indifferent, but I don't think Bayo 2 is as insurmountable an agreement as some are making it out to be, that's all, no thirst here. Also 1 > 2.)

It has similar slowdowns to the 360 version, roughly better to my impression but for the sake of argument, let's say they're the same.

Bayonetta 2 is a joint copyright to Sega and Nintendo, majorly financed and published by Nintendo. Nintendo owns the code and needs to sign off on Bayonetta 2 leaving the Nintendo platform. Likely they will not.

Bayonetta is owned wholly by Sega and they can afford to do a port to PC.

It's literally that simple.

Shiggy

On the game page, it says the game is in my library. But when I search for it in my library, there's no entry. What's wrong?

Bayonetta 2 is a joint trademark to Sega and Nintendo

You keep telling this. It's simply not true (or else show me evidence). Bayonetta (2) is not a trademark of Nintendo.

Grief.exe

Should change the title of the thread to better reflect the reality.

On the game page, it says the game is in my library. But when I search for it in my library, there's no entry. What's wrong?

Try rebooting steam and see if it shows up.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Since it's a free game, or more accurately a free game that uses a Free on Demand package, it won't appear in your library unless it's installed. (You can permanently affix FoD games to your library by purchasing DLC, but obviously that isn't applicable in this case.) You can install the game by clicking "Play Game" on the store page or skip a step and just click this link.

not definititively

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zll8sayyHZk

Can't go wrong with 360 or WiiU versions, but both have frame drops and performance issues at points.

Wii U is also missing some effects, in addition to having the frame rate basically die in the second half, though it does have higher shadow quality. But the point of the initial post was clear, for something like 4 years the place to play Bayonetta 1 was obviously 360 because the only other version was that PS3 nonsense.

I wonder if they do release Bayo on PC, if it will be a Platinum port or if they'll use an actually porting company.
From my understanding Platinum does not let anybody else port their games after the Bayonetta PS3 fiasco.

Sega can do anything they want really but who knows, maybe they gave Platinum the chance first.

BPoole

If this isn't a tease for Bayonetta 1 on PC I'm boycotting Sega for the rest of my life. That is just cruel.

Shiggy

Since it's a free game, or more accurately a free game that uses a Free on Demand package, it won't appear in your library unless it's installed. (You can permanently affix FoD games to your library by purchasing DLC, but obviously that isn't applicable in this case.) You can install the game by clicking "Play Game" on the store page or skip a step and just click this link.

I think that's the issue. As I'm on a Mac, I can't install it though. Will try it later on a Win PC.

You keep telling this. It's simply not true (or else show me evidence). Bayonetta (2) is not a trademark of Nintendo.

It's not true. He's wrong. Bayonetta and Bayonetta 2 are owned by Sega. Nintendo published and has exclusive rights to Bayonetta 2 since they were deeply involved, this is true, But they don't own Bayonetta nor do they own Bayonetta 2. That's bullshit. Sega has full trademark and copyright to Bayonetta and Bayonetta 2.

thelastword

Banned
Locked? No.....Resolution is not all that great either, especially for 2017.......I'd like to see better IQ (textures, texture filtering, higher resolution effects) and of course a locked 60fps on the PC and next gen consoles...

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
This would be awesome on PC. 1080p/60fps, yes please. I'd play through the first one again if it's just that one coming. Would also like to see Viewtiful joe make it's way to PC at some time.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I wonder if they do release Bayo on PC, if it will be a Platinum port or if they'll use an actually porting company.

Platinum has said they won't allow outsourced ports of their in-house titles since the PS3 Bayonetta fiasco and so far that's been held true since.

In my experience, it's about the same as the 360 version, certainly no better. The first Bayonetta has some really serious slowdown issues in some of the later levels which you don't see in any of the framerate analysis videos since they tend to just do the opening hours of the game (as in, the whole game plays at half-speed for extended periods), and as far as I know they're present in every version of the game. This PC version will be the first truly 60FPS version of Bayonetta.

Grief.exe

Sucks because there are companies out there that do a way better job at porting than they do.

They do a serviceable job and seem to be improving with each release, so I give them the benefit of the doubt. We also don't know what kind of shoestring budget they are being given either.

It's not true. He's wrong. Bayonetta and Bayonetta 2 are owned by Sega. Nintendo published and has exclusive rights to Bayonetta 2 since they were deeply involved, this is true, But they don't own Bayonetta nor do they own Bayonetta 2. That's bullshit. Sega has full trademark and copyright to Bayonetta and Bayonetta 2.

This is false. Read the copyright for both games.

phant0m

Not gonna lie, I'd pay $100 for a Bayo 1/2 HD* Remaster Twin Pack.

*Bayo 2 may have been 720p, but from DF's description: "right down to its native 720p presentation, lacklustre texture filtering and no anti-aliasing"

Proper AA treatment and 1080/1440/2160p would do both games very well.

EDIT:
hah, have we not talked about the graphics options in the 8-bit game?
4JOqLzp.png

Top Bottom