• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA Sammy acquires Index (Atlus) for 14 billion yen, now a subsidiary of Sega

Status
Not open for further replies.

graywolf323

oh dear God please no

NOOOOO.gif

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
SEGA has released 8 niche jrpg titles in the last 3 years, none of them was released in the West.

[PSP] 7th Dragon 2020-II (SEGA) {2013-04-18}
[PSV] Phantasy Star Online 2: Special Package (SEGA) {2013-02-28}
[PSP] Shining Ark (SEGA) {2013-02-28}
[PSP] Shining Blade (SEGA) {2012-03-15}
[PSP] 7th Dragon 2020 (SEGA) {2011-11-23}
[PSP] Phantasy Star Portable 2: Infinity (SEGA) {2011-02-24}
[PSP] Valkyria Chronicles III (SEGA) {2011-01-27}
[PSP] Shining Hearts (SEGA) {2010-12-16}

Now, now. Those are also all on the PSP, which should be rather telling.

Soriku

SEGA has released 8 niche jrpg titles in the last 3 years, none of them was released in the West.

No surprise when all except one are PSP games, and then a Vita game.

OnFire331

This is a point that really needs to be raised much more than it is currently. In lieu of doing my own research, here's a copypasta from Nirolak about devs that Sega has bought and generally treated well, allowing them to maintain relative independence, continue working on the same sorts of things, and even expanding:

(In the case of Creative Assembly, Sega even picked up the Warhammer license for them.)

This is absurd. Look at some of the other options in Japan and tell me honestly that this would be worse than... Konami? Than Square-Enix?

So the evidence shows that the complete opposite of what this thread is suggesting is what's likely to happen, this gives me hope.

Eusis

This is absurd. Look at some of the other options in Japan and tell me honestly that this would be worse than... Konami? Than Square-Enix?
Yeah, Sony'd actually be one of the better ones if we just sniped away the console exclusivity issues, and it's not as if Konami or SE have been great on the digital front so they can suck and just pull a bunch of Atlus games because. Though if we were to go with platform holders Nintendo's a bit worse (and has the same core problem of console exclusivity issues), and Microsoft's far and away the worst for reasons I outlined. Though I forgot to bring up that they'd probably either kill Atlus USA or fuck them up entirely.
So the evidence shows that the complete opposite of what this thread is suggesting is what's likely to happen, this gives me hope.
Mostly. If I was Japanese I wouldn't worry at all, but Atlus USA is the new variable in these SEGA buyouts. The best case scenario is something akin to Hudson that actually works in the long term due to Atlus being generally more successful and viable. Worst case scenario may in fact not even be Sega making them mobile developers, but letting Atlus Japan be left alone and run like they are, but to destroy Atlus USA and fail to localize all but the biggest Atlus games. Then not license them period so we can't even get the smaller ones through companies like XSEED, Aksys, or a hypothetical new company formed from Atlus USA staff. At least when stuck to mobile there'd be a good chance of Atlus staff leaving and going to other companies or forming new ones, who'd then have fresh chances for their games to be localized.

Scum

This is not actually a plausible scenario.

I'm not going to be nearly this optimistic, but I would note that Atlus USA is probably a hell of a lot cheaper to run than Sega USA used to be and could probably put together profitable localizations on some titles that Sega otherwise couldn't.

So Atlus USA turns into Sega USA...?

MechaX

Konami can barely be assed to do anything that's not Lords of Shadow/Metal Gear/PES related. With that said, none of their smaller series were really that popular and we know that Atlus's IPs can at least make a profit. In a strange sense, Konami might be in a better position to say "fuck it" and leave Atlus to its own devices as long as it brings them money.

Capcom is too schizophrenic to get a good bead on these days. And Namco-Bandai would be either bizarre or ATLUS would be the new testing ground for this F2P phase Namco seems to be going through right now (Tekken Revolution, Ace Combat Infinity).

Square-Enix would be objectively awful. Some people say that Microsoft would be bad, but I would say that Microsoft just wouldn't do too much with ATLUS. I could see Square-Enix's management and directorial incompetence literally sinking a lot of these franchises.

Man........

Zornack

True, Sega is known as a staunch 3DS supporter with their niche Japanese titles.

Hasn't P5 been in development for a few years now, though? Unless it started as a 3DS game I would hope they wouldn't gut the project and move it to a handheld.

True, Sega is known as a staunch 3DS supporter with their niche Japanese titles.

Dohohohohoho

Pretty much. I've been trying to remember the last time Sega fucked up a company they bought. It's been a long damn time.

Atlus has been a pretty big supporter of the 3DS too, except for where Persona is concerned.

That's because (correct me if I'm wrong, of course) until P4 Arena, Persona games were all on Sony platforms. They split it: Sony got Persona, Nintendo got SMT.

It's almost like the PSP has been dead in the West for several years.

androvsky

Those franchises sold like garbage and thus stopped coming over here. Surprised we even had Yakuza games past two.

Pretty sure stuff like Persona and SMTIV sold more than VC ever did.

Atlus USA knows how to market niche Japanese games, they might have more success with the Yakuza games than Sega did.
Especially when we start talking limited editions.
I think Sega was starting to catch on with Yakuza 4, but they were still trying to apply big-budget marketing tactics like the trailers with the awesome narrator without the budget to actually run that trailer in a lot of places (iirc). Atlus and the other small localization companies have a dedicated fanbase they know how to whip up into a frenzy without spending a ton of money.

web01

This is terrible say goodbye to Atlus localisations in the west, SEGA doesn't even bring across their own games.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Atlus has been a pretty big supporter of the 3DS too, except for where Persona is concerned.

So this will open up the possibility of a Persona game on the 3DS, right?

As for Vita, I don't think this will change anything for it in terms of Atlus games, but someone might correct me for this.

Soriku

Hasn't P5 been in development for a few years now, though? Unless it started as a 3DS game I would hope they wouldn't gut the project and move it to a handheld.

Yeah. The Persona team's last game was Catherine, Persona 5 has been in development now and is obviously going to be a console game (for PS3 and whatever else).

yami4ct

So Atlus USA turns into Sega USA...?

More likely SEGA USA turns into ATLUS. Kill the localization teams at SEGA, hand all of SEGA's Japanese titles other than big ones like Sonic over to Atlus to handle. Makes way more sense. SEGA has a shit reputation in the western release of Japanese games, as you can see from this thread. Ridding themselves of that trouble and handing the keys over to one of the most well regarded brands around makes so much sense. Also, Atlus knows how to make money on small games. That skill is super valuable.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

As for Vita, I don't think this will change anything for it in terms of Atlus games, but someone might correct me for this.

I'm being sarcastic they've been mind bogglingly inactive on 3DS for anything but Sonic, some music games, and Puyo. :p

Sophia

That's because (correct me if I'm wrong, of course) until P4 Arena, Persona games were all on Sony platforms. They split it: Sony got Persona, Nintendo got SMT.

I believe Sony has some investment in the Persona series. I doubt it's going to Nintendo anytime soon. I can see like a PS3/WiiU release or something however.

Nirolak was being sarcastic. Outside of Miku, and Sonic SEGA's basically released nothing on 3DS post launch.

Yeah I realized that. Ah well, my point still stands. :p

yami4ct

Surprisingly high price. Does Atlus have any IPs that actually sell well?

SMT and Persona sell really well in Japan and relatively well in the US. Their other titles are low budget and can make their money back on niche sales.

Eusis

I should probably be angry about that, but I've been playing SMT2 on my phone the last few days.
Incidentally, this is why we shouldn't panic just yet. It's one thing to go full on smartphone. It's another to make some cheap smartphone cash-ins while still rapidly putting out meatier games, and given Sega's been pretty active on handhelds still while SE's been in a lurch I'm not overly pessimistic there. Probably just means we get some shitty Persona spin-off that no one cares about, like Mass Effect Galaxies or whatever.

Surprisingly high price. Does Atlus have any IPs that actually sell well?
Persona, Shin Megami tensei, Etrian Odyssey, Trauma center, among others. True none of these games are "OMG millions upon millions of copies sold" like Pokemon or Mh but they're one of the best companies with one of the most loyal fanbase.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Persona, Shin Megami tensei, Tactics Ogre, Etrian Odyssey, Trauma center, among others. True none of these games are "OMG millions upon millions of copies sold" like Pokemon or Mh but they're one of the best companies with one of the most loyal fanbase.

One of these things isn't like the other...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom