• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA Sammy acquires Index (Atlus) for 14 billion yen, now a subsidiary of Sega

Status
Not open for further replies.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Something I've learned over the years is that enthusiast gamers can too often be militant and hyperbolic when it comes to change. Both Atlus and SEGA have a rich, admirable history of collaborations and partnerships with other developers, pursuing new series' and genres aimed across a wide spectrum of tastes.

We should view this partnership as yet another exciting step in the world of game creation. Who knows what their combined visions will conjure for our favourite franchises, and what surprising sequels we may see!

dragonsonicwsr7j.jpg

Yup. The tl;dr version here is that a Nintendo purchase would've killed Persona, while a Sony purchase would've basically gutted their handheld/small-title operation..

How would Nintendo kill the Persona series? They've been very supportive of SMT theres no reason to believe they wouldn't support Persona equally especially given its standing. The only way Persona would be killed would be all the butthurt people who refuse to buy it for being on a Nintendo system. SMT transitioned well from Playstation to Nintendo theres no reason to believe Persona wouldn't have done the same.

Mostly. If I was Japanese I wouldn't worry at all, but Atlus USA is the new variable in these SEGA buyouts. The best case scenario is something akin to Hudson that actually works in the long term due to Atlus being generally more successful and viable. Worst case scenario may in fact not even be Sega making them mobile developers, but letting Atlus Japan be left alone and run like they are, but to destroy Atlus USA and fail to localize all but the biggest Atlus games.

Right, I think this is a pretty good summary of the bull and bear case on this scenario. (I personally think the likely realistic scenario is closer to the bull case, but we'll have to see.)

And Namco-Bandai would be either bizarre or ATLUS would be the new testing ground for this F2P phase Namco seems to be going through right now (Tekken Revolution, Ace Combat Infinity).

Namco were actually pretty high on my list of candidates, heh.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Let's be fair: Sega-Sammy sucked in the 00's. But recently they've been pretty good. They gave Arc back the Guilty Gear IP. They haven't done too much with their PC developers, something SEGA (-Sammy) never had experience in before.

I'd say this is more a "wait and see" before doing the doom and gloom dance over the next year or two for Atlus and their titles.

Something I've learned over the years is that enthusiast gamers can too often be militant and hyperbolic when it comes to change. Both Atlus and SEGA have a rich, admirable history of collaborations and partnerships with other developers, pursuing new series' and genres aimed across a wide spectrum of tastes.

We should view this partnership as yet another exciting step in the world of game creation. Who knows what their combined visions will conjure for our favourite franchises, and what surprising sequels we may see!

dragonsonicwsr7j.jpg

I'm crying

dragonsonicwsr7j.jpg

Oh god, my eyes! It burns!

Silky

Banned

Not worthy.

Seriously, I don't see a single issue with SEGA/Atlus releasing their games on a 3DS/other platform not sony. What makes it so blasphemous? Does it just boil down to fanatical preferences or something?

I'll buy MegaTen/Persona on anything. Here's hoping SEGA can deliver.

PK Gaming

dragonsonicwsr7j.jpg

Lost it when I saw Shadow, good god

How would Nintendo kill the Persona series? They've been very supportive of SMT theres no reason to believe they wouldn't support Persona equally especially given its standing. The only way Persona would be killed would be all the butthurt people who refuse to buy it for being on a Nintendo system. SMT transitioned well from Playstation to Nintendo theres no reason to believe Persona wouldn't have done the same.

Every SMT except nocturne has been on nintendo, nocturne just happens to be worse selling mainline SMT too.

daegan

love everyone in this thread who has no idea that Index has already been making garbage Persona mobile games for years

yami4ct

The game never charted on the NPD list, the banned site has the title at 90k, probably it's close to that I bought a copy of the game at launch and then 2 copies for $8.99 each a few months later.

Looking at Etrian Odyssey III from the same banned site, a game from about the exactly the same time, it apparently sold 91k vs VCII's 86k. That may not seem like a huge difference, but the EO games (before Untold anyway) had very little dialogue, text or VA. They likely cost considerably less to localize. I wonder what could have been done with VC if Atlus had their hands on it?

Those franchises sold like garbage and thus stopped coming over here. Surprised we even had Yakuza games past two.

Do we have figures on whether any Atlus franchises reliably sell better than either? Persona seems reasonable to expect, but what about the others? Plus, Atlus might have gotten away with smaller profits as a small company; now that they're part of Sega, who's to say their general strategy won't suddenly change to fit that of the parent corporation? Atlus franchises that made it over before like Devil Survivor may suddenly fail to meet whatever unknown minimum sales expectations Sega has for all its series.

That said, I suppose Sega did greenlight Hatsune Miku. So maybe their "core franchises only for the West" approach from 2012 has changed.

VanWinkle

Nintendo doesn't really have any of their first-party studios make games like Persona do they? It seems their first parties usually stick with G and PG style content.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
sega should just have Atlus internal devs make action games like catherine.

no more JRPGs.

mhm.

S/Catherine/Trauma Center: Under the Knife 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10.

old

Not good news. Look at how Sega royally fucked up Valkyria Chronicles in the West. They moved it from a successful outing on the PS3 to the PSP, a platform any halfwit knew meant failure in the West, then saw VC2's Western sales sink. To top off their idiocy, they released VC3 on PSP as well and didn't even bother bringing it to the West.

They had a golden JRPG brand loved by critics and gamers alike, and with good sales to boot. And SEGA fucked it up.

Now those morons are in charge of Atlas.

dragonsonicwsr7j.jpg
Sir, you're a horrible human being. That is the most horryfing thing I've seen this day..... thank you,

bakedpony

As long as we get English localizations of Persona and SMT games I'll be content. They should be on region-free systems too (for our Euro bros).

How would Nintendo kill the Persona series?

By taking a franchise that sells into a very specific market, and whose selling points are heavily connected to a certain type of console production values, and handing it over to a platform-holder that does not (and will not in the foreseeable future) have a successful console?

If your analysis of that is that people are "butthurt," you basically don't have a clear enough picture of the situation to talk about it.

BadRNG

Alright, maybe I'm just being overly optimistic/naive, but I don't get all the doom and gloom about this. Atlus USA is, I'm pretty sure, a profitable branch that has made it's bread and butter off localizing great games. Atlus has a great team that appears to be able to pull profit off niche localizations too.

Sega presumably wants to profit off this acquisition, so why dismantle a system that is working? If anything this could lead to localizations of Sega titles we may not have seen beforehand, utilizing the efficient/cost effective resources Atlus already has in place.

Kumo

This is absurd. Look at some of the other options in Japan and tell me honestly that this would be worse than... Konami? Than Square-Enix?

It's funny how Square Enix years ago would've been miles ahead the top option for many fans. My how times have changed.

t26

On the bright side, no matter what happen Sega Europe should make the wait for Atlus games in Europe a lot shorter.

yami4ct

Catherine and Dragon's Crown were very good to me.

All I can do is to hope for the best.

Dragon's Crown brings up an interesting point. The unfortunate casualty here will certainly be ATLUS the niche game publisher, rather than developer. Internal stuff will be fine, but their external work has been really enjoyable. Will be sad to see it go.

vazel

Banned
Didn't Sega restructure itself to focus on bigger games after the failure of Binary Domain. And they buy a company known for its niche games? -_-

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
By taking a franchise that sells into a very specific market, and whose selling points are heavily connected to a certain type of console production values, and handing it over to a platform-holder that does not (and will not in the foreseeable future) have a successful console?

If your analysis of that is that people are "butthurt," you basically don't have a clear enough picture of the situation to talk about it.

What do you mean by this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom