Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
It was tucked in the middle of the last page, so I wanted to shout out to @Kazza for the post they made about their dream-list for a "Saturn Classic".

What've you folks been playing, all three of you who still have a Saturn hooked up?

My two most recent grabs were Hanagumi Taisen Columns and Fatal Fury 3.

Hanagumi Taisen Columns is a Sakura Wars-themed variant. Pretty fun as far as Columns is concerned with really good animations. it's a bummer that it only supports up to 2 players Versus. Columns III had up to 5 players!!

Anyway, the garbage in Versus mode is handled a bit differently than previous games which is why I wanted to own this Columns variant. You still charge up your gauge by completing combos and breaking 4 or more gems, but there isn't a manual "garbage" button like in some of the previous games. Instead, every time your meter increases a level (1 to 3) a menu pops up:

The top option is an Attack that sends numbered dice to your opponents side of the board. These dice count down and then turn into normal gems, just like the attack gems in Puzzle Fighter. The bigger the attack, the more gems you send. The middle option stores your attack but since you cannot manually trigger the garbage, you must fill your meter again before the menu pops up. The bottom option is defensive: it clears some of your gems from the bottom.

It's nifty. I like it. I'm glad I got it.

Fatal Furty 3... not so much. I like the fighting game itself, but it doesn't run very well, it has long load times, and it's not all that pretty of a game to start with so I don't know why the system struggles to play it correctly. Oh well. It was cheap anyway.

Oct 6, 2018
It was tucked in the middle of the last page, so I wanted to shout out to @Kazza for the post they made about their dream-list for a "Saturn Classic".

What've you folks been playing, all three of you who still have a Saturn hooked up?
This time of year reminds me of a time when, in a fit of festive generosity, I gave Saturn and 20+ games away to my distant cousins, who were visiting our house just after Christmas (around 98/99). A fine collection of games it was too (although Panzer Dragoon Saga wasn't among them - I might have be asking for it back this Christmas if it was!). As a result, any Saturn gaming has been reduced to emulation, and my basic laptop can only handle 2D games :(

My last couple were Shinobi X (surprisingly hard, and I've completed Revenge of Shinobi quite a few times) and 3 Dirty Dwarves. I usually play using my grey Japanese controller hooked up to a USB adaptor, but I'm studying in China for the next few months and didn't bring it with me. I have a USB SNES controller, but using that to play Saturn games just feels wrong! If I take a trip to Japan before I return to Europe, then I might pick up a nice white Saturn. But then I would probably have to buy a CRT etc - a lot of hassle.

Maybe next year we could create a thread on the main gaming forum called Saturn September, where we spend that month playing and reviewing Saturn games. The Saturn needs more love and attention. There are a lot of great games that people missed out on (even being a Saturn owner in the 90s, even I have a long list of games I want to try - Psychic Killer Taromaru being chief among them).

Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Speaking of giving the Saturn the love and attention it deserves, no one has been doing that better than Sega Lord X. I've gotten a lot of good game recommendations from him.
Good recommendation. I like his stuff a lot too.

I'd totally be down for a Saturn September! It's understandable -- if you're traveling -- that it would be a pain to acquire and set up a CRT.

Dec 25, 2018

Princess Crown Fan Translation

Princess Crown is a side-scrolling Action-RPG that has become a cult classic among gamers since its release on Sega Saturn in 1997. It was never released outside of Japan, but its creator went on to found Vanillaware, whose hit videogames include Odin Sphere, Dragon Crown and Muramasa.

Former IGN staff writer and critic Anoop Gantayat wrote his own fan translation to Princess Crown and posted on his website, complete with boundless numbers of screenshots. A Microsoft Word document was promised but was never completed, but thankfully, the website has been preserved by The Wayback Machine.

According to his notes, Gantayat admitted that he "purposely strayed from from making a direct literal translation of the dialog...Also, the story and characters are very familiar to Western audiences, so it seemed appropriate to take some liberties." One should note that this translation was made sometime in the late 1990s, so this attitude is very much in keeping with the era. I also suspect that the English script retains the meaning of the Japanese script, but takes liberties to allow for more flowing and natural dialog in its translation. Such things are perfectly normal in translations, as I can personally testify from my experience with Horus, Prince of the Sun.

Anyway, enjoy this English translation of Princess Crown.
Hello there!

New to the forums but would like to quote this in particular as I love Vanillaware games.

Regarsing Princess Crown, is it beatable without knowledge of Japanese? I ask as I don't think I am skilled enough to tweak my console to use a patched ISO without burning out the Disc Drive (I believe it was reworked when I bought a Region Free one a few years back).

What the guy has done is brilliant and I honestly hope he does more of these as it is greatly appreciated.

Was thinking on getting this on Saturn or PSP depending on the perks and flaws.

Any thoughts? :)

Oct 6, 2018
Hello there!

New to the forums but would like to quote this in particular as I love Vanillaware games.

Regarsing Princess Crown, is it beatable without knowledge of Japanese? I ask as I don't think I am skilled enough to tweak my console to use a patched ISO without burning out the Disc Drive (I believe it was reworked when I bought a Region Free one a few years back).

What the guy has done is brilliant and I honestly hope he does more of these as it is greatly appreciated.

Was thinking on getting this on Saturn or PSP depending on the perks and flaws.

Any thoughts? :)
Welcome to the Saturn appreciation thread!

You could try to play the patched ISO on an emulator (Mednafen is good, in my experience)

Dec 5, 2008

Got some SS for Christmas, including the first Sakura Taisen.

The CDs are in great shape (some cracks in the jewel case, but that's easy to replace). Those games probably came from Japan 100 yen bins LOL

Unfortunately my saturn isn't working with the Evangelion CD, it stays at the main menu and recognize them as audio CD only, dunno why.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2018
I've only played around half a dozen games via mednafen so far, but they all seem fine to me. Princess Crown seems to be working fine.
Ah okay then. I will try it out once I get back home tomorrow. (Away on Holiday).

Thanks for the advice!

My collection is pretty small but I like what I have so far.

I have so far; Panzer Dragoon Saga, Story of Thor 2, Daytona USA, Clockwork Night (Jpn version), SEGA Rally Championship 1995 Burning Rangers and Cotton 2. (Might be missing one but those are from the top of my head.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2018
Ah okay then. I will try it out once I get back home tomorrow. (Away on Holiday).

Thanks for the advice!

My collection is pretty small but I like what I have so far.

I have so far; Panzer Dragoon Saga, Story of Thor 2, Daytona USA, Clockwork Night (Jpn version), SEGA Rally Championship 1995 Burning Rangers and Cotton 2. (Might be missing one but those are from the top of my head.
A small, but good collection! Unfortunately, I gave away all my Saturn stuff to a cousin around 20 years ago, so am stuck with emulation for now. Let us know how you get on.