• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega will release "Golden Axed: A Cancelled Prototype" Oct 18 on Steam

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
what the fuck guys..
what the hell is this
this means perhaps a lost sonic build
do you guys even understand wtf this could mean ?

a new sonic lost canned game?>

Holammer

How do you go from Golden Axe, Revenge of Death Adder & The Duel to ugly garb like that? Well, by going down the same path they did with Beast Rider obviously.
If you're going to sell a product on nostalgia, just make it a colorful sprite based hack'n slash evoking the past games. Pass on the violence and it'll sell a couple of million like Castle Crashers did.

Bullet Club

uBFzNat.png

HYW86TT.png

Deft Beck

I saw this earlier today. I think it's pretty scummy of SEGA to dress up the prototype like this, but I suppose they aren't obligated to mention the opinions of anybody who worked on the actual prototype as they own it and can do what they want with it.

lachesis

Well, I just played the game and it was pretty good. I was pretty impressed for this "internal pitch". Great job.

As per the Tim and others who worked on the pitch - as I've been on same situation many times for internal pitch, as I'm the guy who needs to make it happen, that's just the nature of the business... Unreasonable time, last minutes overhauls in design, inept management who can't think of anything further than their own time table, yet they think the work can be done in a blink of an eye. While I'm in another business, not in videogame - but sounds like it's more or less the same thing that I often go thru every year, multiple times.

So seeing this the labor of crunch, I salute to the ones who made the game. It really hyped me up when I saw Death Adder sitting behind mocking the warrior, while I was fighting of bunch of enemies. Would have loved to see the game made in full, with I guess cinematic magic sequences, and all - but pitch is a pitch. Can't expect to have it all, but a vision of what it could be - and it delivered quite well I think!

Kazza

Well, I just played the game and it was pretty good. I was pretty impressed for this "internal pitch". Great job.

As per the Tim and others who worked on the pitch - as I've been on same situation many times for internal pitch, as I'm the guy who needs to make it happen, that's just the nature of the business... Unreasonable time, last minutes overhauls in design, inept management who can't think of anything further than their own time table, yet they think the work can be done in a blink of an eye. While I'm in another business, not in videogame - but sounds like it's more or less the same thing that I often go thru every year, multiple times.

So seeing this the labor of crunch, I salute to the ones who made the game. It really hyped me up when I saw Death Adder sitting behind mocking the warrior, while I was fighting of bunch of enemies. Would have loved to see the game made in full, with I guess cinematic magic sequences, and all - but pitch is a pitch. Can't expect to have it all, but a vision of what it could be - and it delivered quite well I think!

I just played it, and I thought it was pretty decent too (given the circumstances under which it was made). Given time, I'm sure the Castle of Illusion Remake team could have produced a good game. Now however, I'm 100% for the Dotemu/Lizardcube team who made SoR4 being given the opportunity to make a new Golden Axe. True 2D isn't as looked down upon now as it was then.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Fun little demo/pitch. I think it had a lot of potential and could have been something great. It already played fantastic IMO and I liked the 3D type movement through the level.
For it to show this much promise under the small development window is highly impressive. If it would have been given a green light and finished with a high amount of
polish, man "what could have been!"

golden-axe-prototype-axed.jpg

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Tim Dawson seems like a big time asshole.

Too bad. Sega cut off development and what was made is what it is became, and they decided just to have fun and release it for gamers for free as a quick demo level.

Sega over the years have been witty with games their twitter where some guy acting as Sonic twitter PR dude was having fun with gamers. Sega is just doing it again, including cheesing it with that Streets of Rage Yakuza game for laughs.

Amazing how non-management people always have the gall to publicly criticize management. You typically don't see that a lot from upper brass. Most company's execs barely even do twitter and when they do it's probably just family shit or corporate PR blurbs. You never see a VP say, well it looks like my department has 3-4 crap employees screwing everything up.

BUT, anyone sitting in on upper management decisions (like me) have our fun too. We just don't do it publicly. We sit in big meetings go over the business and then go over talent. Who's good, who's bad and who are assholes.

We don't do Twitter. We just chime in and the VPs have final say which fuckheads to fire for dong shit jobs.

Shit flows downhill.

Last edited:

Holammer

Tim Dawson seems like a big time asshole.

Too bad. Sega cut off development and what was made is what it is became, and they decided just to have fun and release it for gamers for free as a quick demo level.

Sega over the years have been witty with games their twitter where some guy acting as Sonic twitter PR dude was having fun with gamers. Sega is just doing it again, including cheesing it with that Streets of Rage Yakuza game for laughs.

Amazing how non-management people always have the gall to publicly criticize management. You typically don't see that a lot from upper brass. Most company's execs barely even do twitter and when they do it's probably just family shit or corporate PR blurbs. You never see a VP say, well it looks like my department has 3-4 crap employees screwing everything up.

BUT, anyone sitting in on upper management decisions (like me) have our fun too. We just don't do it publicly. We sit in big meetings go over the business and then go over talent. Who's good, who's bad and who are assholes.

We don't do Twitter. We just chime in and the VPs have final say which fuckheads to fire for dong shit jobs.

Shit flows downhill.

Speaking out about being an oppressed gamedev suffering from crunch makes you a folk hero in some circles nowadays, so he scored a lot of social capital with that twitter thread.
He'll make it to the big leagues if Jim Sterling makes a video about it.

If you hold down the button for heavy attack (not just tapping it lightly), your guy screams and kills a guy with a single blow when you connect. I wish they did program the block and magic buttons because they don't actually do anything. But it was a neat little demo along with Streets of Kamurocho. More publishers should do like SEGA and dig up their cancelled projects to release any demos they might have hidden away.

Last edited:

Tschumi

Australian games.. i remember going on a tour of new parliament house in the 90s and being given a 2D cartoon game for free.. and it being awful.. this coming from a kid who at the time thought the encyclopedia Britannica mind maze game was tense Gothic suspense action..

Megatron

what the fuck guys..
what the hell is this
this means perhaps a lost sonic build
do you guys even understand wtf this could mean ?

a new sonic lost canned game?>
Considering some of the Sonic games they have released, I don’t want to think about how bad one they cancelled must be.

Though I guess I would be curious to try the cancelled Saturn game. Sonic Extreme, I think it was?

RAIDEN1

Why not instead complete the project, if you can be successful with Streets of Rage 4 then why not Golden Axe?

Harts316

Bit too late for this version, but they should reboot Golden Axe in a SOR4/Dragon's Trap style.

Wouldn't the anti-crunch hero's be the same people crying about game preservation and how important it is to get this kind of thing out there? I feel like there's a decent amount of crossover there.

Guy needs to get over it.

Gandih42

I usually find Sterling's video interesting, if nothing else to get one extreme end of perspective on things. But this one seemed like a bit of a stretch to me. I don't want to disregard what this guy went through, doesn't sound like a good time. But it doesn't strike me as something to be that upset about so many years later. Two hard weeks on a project that went down the drain? Yeah that sucks, but it sounds like that risk was there from the start. Though I suppose none but the people there really knows.

As for their way of announcing this, I think it was appropriate with the humor and sass. I doubt the intention was to shit on his or other peoples work on it. At least people get to play it, for whatever that's worth.

Ymir

It's sad how much he tries to appeal to the outrage mob so he can be important. He was likely the only person during that time to have ever gone through crunch, he mentions an injury that has nothing at all to do with the game, hatred towards bosses because they didn't love his idea, and because they call a prototype janky/buggy (which most prototypes are....) they're now the devil and have personally attacked and belittled him even though no one even knew he worked on it. The unbearable slap in the face to the people they didn't even name that worked on it...

I'm sure it wasn't the greatest work environment since it was a dying dev team that was eventually killed off but that doesn't mean that Sega somehow abused you or caused you PTSD by releasing one of their old prototypes. Feels like such a massive stress when all Sega tried to do was release an interesting scrapped idea for their 60th anniversary.

As an Aussie indie dev, D dark10x 's video on Golden Axed really hit home. That was a fantastic watch. I've been a programmer on contract before and I've been dropped into projects with the task of single handedly piecing together game projects on an emergency basis to get them ready for release in a hilariously unrealistic time frame before.

Those experiences put me off of game development TBH. I only just recently started coding again.

Back on topic: Golden Axed doesn't seem to be available anymore on Steam. Does anyone have a link to a copy?

Last edited:
Top Bottom