Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice | OT | Borne of Souls

Feb 9, 2018
Don't you hate when you get stuck in a miniboss? I've given Long Arm Centipede Sen'un more tries than it took me to beat Genichiro. I just suck at fights in enclosed spaces.
One of the easiest fights in the game. Just bash the parry button repeatedly and watch his bar fly up, then death blow.

#Phonepunk#

Sep 4, 2018
How does parrying work if you're guarding all the time? You quickly release the guard and then reapply it at the last second? Sounds harder to successfully deflect this way?
i mean you can either:
1) stand there without your sword up and hit L1 when the attack is coming or
2) already be holding L1, just mashing it again when the attack is coming

the latter will get you refilling your posture bar faster, it refills when you are blocking.

not that you have to fight this way, but it feels easier to me. my finger is already on the button, you know? getting down the perfect deflects is only a matter of getting the timing right on your presses. in that way it's more like a rhythm game. once you know the boss's attack patterns, you know what patterns to hit & when, but all that takes just playing and replaying a fight to learn.

Last edited:
Reactions: NutJobJim

Shifty.

Sep 25, 2015
Somewhere in space
How does parrying work if you're guarding all the time? You quickly release the guard and then reapply it at the last second? Sounds harder to successfully deflect this way?
Essentially, yes. The game gives you a short window after releasing guard where you'll still block if you get hit, so it's not as risky as it might first seem.

The game will punish you with a reduced perfect parrry window if you mash though, so you can't exploit that particular mechanic for easy wins.

I still run like a chicken to not get hit and that does wonders in keeping your posture bar low.
Your posture bar will still take longer to reset that way though. Running away to create safe distance, then holding guard until the enemy re-engages is the faster way and gives them less time to reset their own bar.

Last edited:

Fuz

Jun 8, 2009
Cagliari, Italy
Your posture bar will still take longer to reset that way though.
(I'm thinking mostly at my fight with owl and the ape)
My posture bar didn't take any time to reset, since I wasn't blocking at all. Just running away from the blows and around them to hit them.
Trying to do it properly only made my posture bar broken a lot... I suck at parrying. Running like an headless chicken? Worked like a charm.

Last edited:

JRW

Nov 29, 2006
Clovis, California
Uhm so I'm fighting Genichiro Ashina and after 3 hours of trying I've come to realize Lady Butterfly wasn't so difficult afterall lol.. holy crap I'm not even remotely getting the upper hand in this fight. I hope the 144fps mod isnt working against me here (I doubt it?).

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Mar 22, 2017
Uhm so I'm fighting Genichiro Ashina and after 3 hours of trying I've come to realize Lady Butterfly wasn't so difficult afterall lol.. holy crap I'm not even remotely getting the upper hand in this fight. I hope the 144fps mod isnt working against me here (I doubt it?).
Genichiro ‘s posture is weak, you need to be aggressive against him. In his first phase after jump attack he always follows up with thrust attack that you can Mikiri Counter but in his second phase he either use thrust or sweep attack, if you can counter them with jumping on him when he uses sweep attack and Mikiri Counter his thrusts then you can do nice posture damage on him.

Ivellios

Mar 26, 2015
Brazil
Any tips for
Owl Father on Hirata Estate?

Im stuck hard on him. This is the first boss i cant even get to half of hp after a fair amount of tries, and that is on its first phase...

I dont really need to beat him, since i plan to get the other ending but still the completionist in me wont let me skip him.

Shifty.

Sep 25, 2015
Somewhere in space
It may be.

I'm usually all-in on that sort of thing, but skipped out for Sekiro because the forum thread I found it in ended with a bunch of "I uninstalled it, can't deal with the parry bugs".

Last edited:

JRW

Nov 29, 2006
Clovis, California
Genichiro ‘s posture is weak, you need to be aggressive against him. In his first phase after jump attack he always follows up with thrust attack that you can Mikiri Counter but in his second phase he either use thrust or sweep attack, if you can counter them with jumping on him when he uses sweep attack and Mikiri Counter his thrusts then you can do nice posture damage on him.
Thanks I looked him up after my previous message (I usually dont like to) and I definitely need to focus on staying close and Ive been slacking on using Mikri

It may be.

I'm usually all-in on that sort of thing, but skipped out for Sekiro because the forum thread I found it in ended with a bunch of "I uninstalled it, can't deal with the parry bugs".
I remember Dark Souls (original) had a couple minor bugs when using fps mod but if Parry issues exist here that would be bad lol, I'll just remove the mod for now see if anything feels different.

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
I finally beat shinobi Hunter after owning the game for a few days.

I suck at this game, but can feel myself slowly getting better. Or maybe I'm delusional. I don't know.