• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Selling codes on eBay, beware of a scam

Yeah, I got burned by this too. Learned the hard way. I got one of those Hitman PC codes off amazon when it was 30 bucks for the whole thing and I ebayed it because I wanted the PS4 version instead.

The scammer waited for about a month after the code was sold and then I got a chargeback notification.

Lesson learned.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Even with shipping proof, they'll likely find in favor of the buyer.

Yep, I sent a GPU via tracked delivery and the scammer signed for it (I could even see it on the Royal Mail website) but eBay still refunded him almost instantly so I lost out on £120 and he got a free upgrade. As the seller you have no protection whatsoever from my experience.

jblank83

Unless you have a tracked parcel with the customers signature at the end, your proof of postage is worthless.
Never send items to business addresses in case some Joe Blogs signs for it.

Absolutely

I'll take a risk of loss on something worth $10.

If I'm selling a $300 piece of hardware, I'd rather spend $10 extra for a signature than eat $290 of loss.

Yep, I sent a GPU via tracked delivery and the scammer signed for it (I could even see it on the Royal Mail website) but eBay still refunded him almost instantly so I lost out on £120 and he got a free upgrade. As the seller you have no protection whatsoever from my experience.

=(

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Digitally Delivered Goods are not allowed on eBay for this very reason. Without tracking that shows delivery of an item, of course eBay can't protect you. They can't verify of emails are sent that contain a working code, nor can they verify that the code itself wasn't bupkis. It's common sense. Not sure what you were expecting, OP. If you do sell a code on eBay, send it to the buyer physically tracked and NOT via email

I was thinking this too as I read the OP.

Unless you have a tracked parcel with the customers signature at the end, your proof of postage is worthless.

And this.

Pjsprojects

As above even when the seller does have online tracking and customer signature you can still get scammed.
I've lost more things than i care to recall over the years.

Izuna

Banned
We had to cancel bids and purchases on the following item(s) for the buyer, john.hunt1202012, because they were made without the account owner's permission:
272415201924 - Xbox One FIFA 17 Key - Download Code [ANY REGION] - INSANT EMAIL

Please note that we're working with the account owner to prevent any additional unauthorized activity.

All associated fees have been credited to your account. In these situations, we'll credit the final value fee for removed listings won by this buyer, and also the insertion fee if it was a single-quantity listing.
- We have credited any associated fees to your account.

This is a fucking pandemic. User 5 (who bought the relist, and totally used the code for certain) has done it as well.

I'm shipping the card to his address tracked etc. Let's see if PayPal actually gives a shit this time.

4 times! for fuck sake

So far only User 2 had his refunded (who never used the code). I'm hoping the same here.

I printed the ebay postage label, so it should be okay, right? If not, then literally it doesn't matter, code or not, people can do this unauthorised bullshit over and over.

MooMilk2929

A buyer can easily state the item received isn't as in good of shape as what was pictured. Could've been damaged in shipping. Or the buyer was buying a nicer version of something they already owned, and looking to swap out theirs for yours. They show eBay their roughed up version claiming that's the one you sent.

Of course they can fake it, but if they do then there can be repercussions. I never really sell anything on ebay so I'm not worried about the other part.

Izuna

Banned
OH I see what's happening now. Unauthorised Payment on eBay removes the listing, but then the person needs to "prove" it was unauthorised to PayPal

So it's likely the two who are trying to scam me won't get a refund in this case. And even then, sending the code does protect me from this so PayPal will take the loss.

Still, never again.

Dizzy

Banned
Thanks for this OP. I didn't know you had to ship something for seller protection to kick in.

I listed a fifa code too and ebay gave me a warning that I had to ship it, I see why now.

Some guy in Brazil bought mine. I didn't choose to list it worldwide so not sure how that happened. He had 4 feedback, two of which said non payment so I had a bad feeling. He asked me to change shipping to free and message him the code, but since ebay was saying i had to ship it I refused to do so and agreed with the buyer to cancel the transaction.

Its very rare I have codes to sell but from now on I'll be sure to ship them.

Shady859

The only way NOT to get scammed on eBay is to be the buyer.

Sellers are at the complete mercy of buyers and I had a rep tell me straight up the buyer will win 100% in item not as described claims unless they are dumb and say they are scamming you in eBay messaging. Even when they send back an item that weighs nothing like what you sent them.... Stick to the BST here or Craigslist.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I had one guy trying to state the item wasn't as listed a month after he got it and put in a dispute. It was in perfect condition.

I said send the item back and I'll give you a full refund.
I never heard from him again.

I hate fucking scammers.

Izuna

Banned
pHWxCRd.png

Doesn't work that way mate.

People are gross as fuck.

When I sell shit on eBay I just assume as much as half of what I sell will go to scammers.

I only sell stuff I won't mind losing completely.

eBay is rigged for buyers and scammers. As the seller, you have no rights and no recourse.

Zafir

Ebay is pretty awful for sellers. I mean even physical stuff they're likely to rule in the buyers favour. I've sold two or three physical items on it and had no issue, but I won't sell anything worth a lot on it just out of fear of getting scammed.

OP - I've just had this exact scam. The buyer has not yet filed a claim, but has sent me pretty much that exact same message about not knowing who ordered the item.

As soon as I received the message, I posted the game code via signed for delivery to catch the bastard out.

Izuna

Banned
OP - I've just had this exact scam. The buyer has not yet filed a claim, but has sent me pretty much that exact same message about not knowing who ordered the item.

As soon as I received the message, I posted the game code via signed for delivery to catch the bastard out.

It's weird as fuck. The guy who was definitely "hacked" filed for a refund asap, whereas these other ones haven't done shit.

I used eBay to print out the postage labels and a dude said "no, don't send it"... Like what the fuck is going on.

My buyer just filed a claim :( it's a blatant scam since the message he sent asking for the code was written in the same child-like manner as the message he sent asking for a refund. He only lives two hours away, so I'm seriously considering just turning up and kicking his teeth out.

I'll have to see the outcome of the PayPal claim. Hopefully I have a good case seeing as I've posted the code via signed for delivery, so the fact that he signed for it and that the code has now been used should point to an obvious conclusion.

I sell stuff on eBay all the time and I have only had an issue once, but it was a big one. I sold an iPhone and the guy claimed I sent him a box with a rock in it! PayPal sided with him so I was fucked. I refused to refund him so my account was banned. Not to be deterred I emailed every single eBay and PayPal executive I could find online. About a day after my carpet bombing I got a call back. My case was reversed, debt cleared and account restored. Just putting this out there for any one that finds themselves in a similar situation.

Izuna

Banned
My buyer just filed a claim :( it's a blatant scam since the message he sent asking for the code was written in the same child-like manner as the message he sent asking for a refund. He only lives two hours away, so I'm seriously considering just turning up and kicking his teeth out.

I'll have to see the outcome of the PayPal claim. Hopefully I have a good case seeing as I've posted the code via signed for delivery, so the fact that he signed for it and that the code has now been used should point to an obvious conclusion.

If it is unauthorised user, PayPal should take the hit if you have Proof of Delivery.

It's so fucked :S

Stig_92

Neo Member
I have also just lost £45 (and the game) over FIFA 17 on ebay. Within 1 minute of listing Fifa 17 Digital which I got with my Xbox One S the game sold. Received payment, sent the code with a 14 day trial too and thought that would be that...but no, I get a message from ebay a day later saying the user had his account compromised and that I should not send my item out.

Of course I wish I had sent the code in the post rather than ebay messages as now I screwed myself over with no 'proof of postage' which PayPal require when giving evidence against a claim. So this morning I lost the case despite giving them screenshots of my message to the seller and the screen of my code being redeemed already on Xbox store.

Pro tip: Never send the code via ebay messages, send it in the post and get proof of postage!

Oh and they never even used the 14 day trial..

Stig_92

Neo Member
I sell stuff on eBay all the time and I have only had an issue once, but it was a big one. I sold an iPhone and the guy claimed I sent him a box with a rock in it! PayPal sided with him so I was fucked. I refused to refund him so my account was banned. Not to be deterred I emailed every single eBay and PayPal executive I could find online. About a day after my carpet bombing I got a call back. My case was reversed, debt cleared and account restored. Just putting this out there for any one that finds themselves in a similar situation.

If you have some of those emails handy then that would be great to share in a PM, I don't feel like settling with the outcome either.

Izuna

Banned
I have also just lost £45 (and the game) over FIFA 17 on ebay. Within 1 minute of listing Fifa 17 Digital which I got with my Xbox One S the game sold. Received payment, sent the code with a 14 day trial too and thought that would be that...but no, I get a message from ebay a day later saying the user had his account compromised and that I should not send my item out.

Of course I wish I had sent the code in the post rather than ebay messages as now I screwed myself over with no 'proof of postage' which PayPal require when giving evidence against a claim. So this morning I lost the case despite giving them screenshots of my message to the seller and the screen of my code being redeemed already on Xbox store.

Pro tip: Never send the code via ebay messages, send it in the post and get proof of postage!

Oh and they never even used the 14 day trial..

It's obvs too late but... Print the label from eBay (you can do it after the bs email) then ship a piece of paper to empty letter or w/e... You know he fucking used the code.

It's disgusting how easy it is. How can people not realise how much this can hurt other people.

packy34

Yep, this has happened to me. Tried to sell 3 google play gift card codes on eBay, all 3 were hit with the exact same "fraud" message after they were purchased/sent. Do not sell any codes on eBay.

ty_hot

The story is simple and you made it look like a big mess.

Only sell to people with X+ positive feedback to avoid this.

big_z

I sold a bunch of codes on ebay. Two buyers caused problems with them. One claimed his card was stolen so I lost about $200 because no matter what a stolen card claim means seller loses.... the paypal rep even admitted to a history of fraud on the guys account.

The second guy tried to push a refund the day before Christmas which was also a few days before his claim period was over. In desperation I ran to walmart to take snaps of the physical version of the codes for my counter claim, then printed off a piece of paper that said "eat shit" and sent it to his mailing address with tracking. I waited till the last day to file my counter claim to buy time so that the envelope would arrive then submitted it.
I won. Would have lost $800 otherwise. I hate ebay.

The story is simple and you made it look like a big mess.

Only sell to people with X+ positive feedback to avoid this.

feedback doesn't matter. both people that have scammed me had plenty of 5 star feedback. most people rate buyers fairly quickly and then they'll run the scam so their account looks legit.

ty_hot

I sold a bunch of codes on ebay. Two buyers caused problems with them. One claimed his card was stolen so I lost about $200 because no matter what a stolen card claim means seller loses.... the paypal rep even admitted to a history of fraud on the guys account.

The second guy tried to push a refund the day before Christmas which was also a few days before his claim period was over. In desperation I ran to walmart to take snaps of the physical version of the codes for my counter claim, then printed off a piece of paper that said "eat shit" and sent it to his mailing address with tracking. I waited till the last day to file my counter claim to buy time so that the envelope would arrive then submitted it.
I won. Would have lost $800 otherwise. I hate ebay.

feedback doesn't matter. both people that have scammed me had plenty of 5 star feedback. most people rate buyers fairly quickly and then they'll run the scam so their account looks legit.
I know its never sure, but it helps a little... Its sad to think that ebay and paypal are so big nowadays just because of "buyer protection" which also mean "fuck the seller". I never sold anything there, but tried once on a Braziliam similar site. First they tried to scam me (it was a ps2 worth 400 obamas in that time), i didnt fell for it, then I sold it without problems. I only sell things now in person or if the buyer pays me in advance (100+ sales in brazilian fóruns). But ut always seem like you will get scammed, no matter what you do.

hayejin

Had it happened to me earlier this year and I wasn't even selling code originally.

Was selling The Division Gold physical copy for PC on eBay with buy it now and some ahole bought it. I printed the label and noticed buyer left a message telling me he doesn't need the discs and just the codes inside. I confirm with him via eBay message and he confirms that is what he wants.

So I removed the seal and took photos of the codes and sent to him. He left me positive feedback immediately which means he can't dispute with eBay so I thought all was good but he disputed with PayPal two months later and even with all the message captures and screenshot of his positive feedback he left me PayPal sided with him and refunded him.

But I called PayPal to vent and the CS who I spoke to understood the issue and gave me my money back. Ahole buyer still got the money but PayPal paid me back from out of their own pocket which was a surprise.

LQX

Happened to me years ago. Sold a code for Uncharted 2 and the fucker claimed it was already used. The funny part is I then called Sony and they hanged up on me. DO NOT SELL CODES ON EBAY. Especially gift card codes.

If you carefully read eBay terms you are actually not allowed to sell digital games for the most part, they have some shit automated systems to not allow listings if certain keywords go up but its pretty terrible so they just allow most listings to go through. Sometimes they go through and sweep the listings and cancel any digital game listings, and warn the seller that the account will be closed if they keep listing more.

It sort of makes sense from their POV - there is absolutely no way they can ever verify the goods are sent, redeemed, valid, etc. At least with physical products the buyer has shipment proof, can return physical goods (although a typical scam is to return a box of junk and claim the item is broken), etc. No such recourse at all for buyers on digital goods.

eBay is just not a good venue for selling digital games, between people who buy for the wrong country, don't understand what digital games are, scammers, hacked accounts, etc you are basically giving away your key if you sell on there. Sure, 80% of the time its probably going to go through ok but the 20% of the time it doesn't, eBay will ALWAYS side with the buyer.

Footos22

Sold my fifa code. Had the same as you. PayPal resolution centre sent me an email saying the buyer had bought this without authorisation. I even sent them.proof he wanted the code through email and the proof that he received the code and it was "all good" and proof that o sent him the code card. Didn't matter. Came back said we have resolved this case in the buyers favour. Fuck you papal.

robotrock

Banned
I had one guy trying to state the item wasn't as listed a month after he got it and put in a dispute. It was in perfect condition.

I said send the item back and I'll give you a full refund.
I never heard from him again.

I hate fucking scammers.

What was he trying to gain here?

joebruin

selling of digital goods is supposed to be forbidden by ebay. i still do it...but sometimes my listings get flagged.

i've never actually gotten ripped off yet though. which is surprising because i always sell stupid cosmetic pre-order dlc and people seem ok with paying a lot for it. generally its the people who have like low amount of feedback and outside your country that is a redflag. i won't sell to either.

i'll mostly sell on forums like gaf and cag now where i can request paypal gift so that the buyer can't pull some shit and try and get a refund since its not a business transaction. not to mention you make about the same amount anyways since you don't have to take into account e-bay/paypal fees.

GrazGamer

Exact same happened to me with FIFA 17 on xbone. Not heard from PayPal yet but putting this down to a lesson learned.

I actually contacted PayPal by phone and they are well aware of the scam and because this was my first time they still refunded the buyer but as a good will gesture they refunded me. Worth a try.

Fortunately never been scammed on eBay, even recently sold my 20th Anniversary PS4 on there, buyer was happy with transaction and all good. Would hate shit like that to go down though, some people are just scum unfortunately.

Sold my fifa code. Had the same as you. PayPal resolution centre sent me an email saying the buyer had bought this without authorisation. I even sent them.proof he wanted the code through email and the proof that he received the code and it was "all good" and proof that o sent him the code card. Didn't matter. Came back said we have resolved this case in the buyers favour. Fuck you papal.

PayPal have just found my case in the buyer's favour, even though I had tracking information for the item being delivered to the buyer, with his signature on it. Fuck this shit.

Izuna

Banned
Yeah, PayPal said that I got two charge backs. Basically, I may end up losing all the money for the codes. I put up all the tracking information, even paid for postage via eBay etc.

*sigh* whatever, you know? Outright disgusting practice.

This is all while I tried to buy a Gears code on eBay way back and... the User got their account removed from eBay and I had to call PayPal who, for some reason, sided with the seller there.

How does this shit work outside of scamming the fuck out of people?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Also, I'm guessing they've loosened up the rules on digital codes?

To answer this question since some aren't aware: Yes. The only restriction of note as far as selling video game keys is concerned is that you're required to have authorisation from the publisher, however, in practice, eBay assumes that you've made the listing in good faith and publishers hardly go out of their way to trawl eBay for illicit auctions, so it's not exactly a rule that's actively enforced. The relevant policy page can be found here.

Shoyz

Yeah, don't sell codes on ebay. Just physical stuff with proof of shipment.

I had one degenerate do a chargeback for a /$2/ code that I sold just for the feedback. $25 fee, lesson learned!

Trace

Banned
Never sell anything on ebay anymore. Buyers can easily scam sellers, good luck getting ebay to take your side on it. On top of that, it took an entire month for Paypal to give me the money I was owed, while they sat on it collecting interest.

Top Bottom