• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sen no Kiseki III Confirmed to be a PS4 exclusive title

During Falcom's shareholder meeting it was confirmed that Sen no Kiseki III (Trails of Cold Steel III) is a PS4 exclusive title. The game is expecting to have a fall 2017 release.
すずき@SAO HR
‏@michsuzu

PS4専用タイトル、閃の軌跡IIIは2017年秋発売予定 #日本ファルコム総会

https://twitter.com/michsuzu/status/811072056930365440

First screenshots here: http://www.4gamer.net/games/328/G032807/20161220007/

Official site is up: http://www.falcom.com/sen3/

Story's protagonist is again, Rean Schwarzer.

Dio

Banned
Wow what!?

I mean good, because old gen hardware was holding Falcom back graphically, but I thought for SURE that it was going to be PS4/Vita like Ys 8.

At least I can tell from this shot of what appears to be Alisa's Cold Steel III model that they upgraded a lot graphically.

EDIT Oh shit! New screenshots!

Dsyndrome

Have both of these for the Vita and haven't started them... didn't think these were annual in the west but it seems this way with the release schedule.

PS4 only sucks though, curious what the breakdown is.

raven777

C0GEShaVIAE1FCm.jpg:large

Really weird decision and they should just port the original two to the PS4 as well. Otherwise I don't see how it makes sense =/
Sony's probably giving them extra support for going with PS4 rather than Vita/PS3 at this point. President Kondo also mentioned the development team's compromises and technical problems when making Ys VIII and Sen no Kiseki II for those platforms, whereas PS4 specs and tools have already boosted Tokyo Xanadu's framerate to 60 FPS. They'll take a commercial hit just from losing Vita sales, but hopefully fans will migrate over; best case, XSEED/Aksys and Falcom iron out the details behind PC versions and PS4 ports for Sen I/II.

I bet the long term sales for Sen III will do Falcom good, so long as they keep the older games accessible and Sen III delivers on promises made.

Dio

Banned
Have both of these for the Vita and haven't started them... didn't think these were annual in the west but it seems this way with the release schedule.

PS4 only sucks though, curious what the breakdown is.

Well, II came out in Japan in 2014 so it's been a couple years. Thankfully we're catching up with The 3rd hitting next year.

Moofers

Might wanna use the English title when referencing the game here since most of us are baka gaijin who don't know the glorious Nippon names of every RPG.

Megatron

Sony's probably giving them extra support for going with PS4 rather than Vita/PS3 at this point. President Kondo also mentioned the development team's compromises and technical problems when making Ys VIII and Sen no Kiseki II for those platforms, whereas PS4 specs and tools have already boosted Tokyo Xanadu's framerate to 60 FPS. They'll take a commercial hit just from losing Vita sales, but hopefully fans will migrate over; best case, XSEED/Aksys and Falcom iron out the details behind PC versions and PS4 ports for Sen I/II.

You think Sony is now paying developers think shun the Vita?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Maybe this new guy is the main character, or a main character?

His portrait is seen here, and there's no Rean.

But then Rean is here, so there's definitely chapters with and without Rean. Also, look at how much better those buildings look

Look at that flowing coat

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Cool. Don't let the Vita limit it.

Would be nice if they ported the first two to PS4, as well, but I'll take what I can get.

Oh wow.

As someone who doesn't own a platform to play the Trails of Cold Steel games on, it would be cool if they ported the first two games to the PS4 as well. More JRPGS on the PS4 is never a bad thing :)

Legend of Heroes is somehow even worse than Kingdom Hearts at jumping around platforms, particularly in the west. If they're doing this, they should at least port the last two games to PS4 (and not outsourced ports they don't have the rights to either).

Nice screenshots though.

Busaiku

Sucks for me, I guess.
Still finishing up the 1st chapter of Cold Steel II, I hope it doesn't end like the first one then.

RainForce

Banned
Fucking hell, I told myself I wouldn't play anymore Kiseki games after being bored by all 4 that I played to completion, but man this looks really good :/

Hopefully it isn't as ludicrously slow as the rest of the series.

Korigama

I saw Sara in one of the images, yay. Looked like she was keeping an eye on Lechter.

Also...
How, they actually did it

Some screenshots:
C0GELEVVQAAMShs.jpg
Looks like Altina with whoever those two new people are.

Either way, I see this being PS4-exclusive as a good thing, given word of them having had to compromise CS II because the Vita version couldn't keep up with their plans for PS3.

EDIT: Still wondering if Rean will be the lead, given how they dodged the question months ago.

Voror

So is there going to be any porting from the first two on Vita/PS3 or probably not bother given the complete change in platform?

Dio

Banned
Considering it is Trails, it will be. Expecting anything more is asking for too much.

That's not even a bad thing. I love the buildup to the finale with the character interactions and low-key goings on, myself, before things start to unravel and shit hits the fan. Some people don't like that and want constant action, though.

Damn I wish they would port the other 2. I've never been able to play them and now the 3rd game will just be sitting there begging me to play it when it won't make any sense :-(

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Reposting here since this seems to be where the Sen III discussion/speculation will happen for a while :-x

Probably something people already picked up on. But Alisa's outfit and Rean's outfit seem to share design elements to the point that it might be possible that it's kind of their uniform?
CSI+II spoiler
Like maybe that's going to be the uniform of a new proper Erebonion military/executive faction that Olivier hoped to give birth to?

Top Bottom