• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senate Republicans to make another attempt at Obamacare repeal

Effect

Wtf is Trump's obsession with repealing Obamacare. If you want it repealed so badly, fucking sell it. But you won't because you're a lazy piece of shit.

I honestly have not hated an individual as much as I do Trump. Didn't know I had it in me.

He hates Obama and wants his legacy destroyed. He and the vast majority of republicans in Congress hate that a black man was President and was able to pass healthcare reform. They've never gotten over that and will never get over it. This obsession with repealing the ACA/Obamacare is their racism on full display. If they actually provided a real plan that helped people and was better then Obamacare on all fronts I would think other wise. I really would. They aren't, they're going to hurt people, and the driving force behind that and their lack of giving a single fuck about the people they will harm is their hatred of Obama and it only comes from one single place.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Honestly, that sounds like something they could push through w 50 votes. Graham and McCain seem to be on the same page most of the time and Heller is involved so... yeah I dunno. I thought the time for 50 votes had passed.

Let them keep trying and failing. Voters are going to get tired of this. Imagine you voted for these republican senators and you had a laundry list of things you wanted them to change. Yes, this is one of those... but imagine if you have 20 things you'd like to see addressed, but they don't get to it because they refuse to go past item #1.

There are going to be a LOT of really unhappy donors come mid-terms.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they have. The only way forward is to pass a bill that requires 60 votes. Which is why Trump is calling for Mitch to change the rules so that bills will only need 51 votes rather than 60.

So the article is wrong? They mention using reconciliation for 51 votes

JordanN

Banned
Why can't they just stop? This is asinine. It's wildly unpopular and clearly they can't reach a consensus on it. Just drop the issue and move onto something else instead of constantly trying to kill your constituents.

Republicans lost the popular vote in 2016. So to kill healthcare is the only way to bring those numbers down.

That's my only explanation. There's no way a Trumpcare will save more lives than it destroys.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
You can't get McCain, Murkowski and Collins so fuck off Cheeto.

When the fuck does the damn recess start already? Oh McCain is already gone so this ain't happening in August anyway.
McCain is friends with Graham. He would make it work.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they have. The only way forward is to pass a bill that requires 60 votes. Which is why Trump is calling for Mitch to change the rules so that bills will only need 51 votes rather than 60.

I don't think that's correct, based on the tail end of the first thread. That's the funny thing about the Trump tweets about 50 v. 60. They only need 50, meaning at least one of Collins, Murkowski, or McCain.

TyrantII

fuck these assholes, so determined to take away health care from millions of Americans.

It's even more evil. That's just collateral damage.

They're after the money. They can't pass tax breaks in reconciliation without the money stripped from the ACA. tax breaks that only benefit about 100 billionaires

Betty

Banned
Can't let you do that Trump

maxresdefault.jpg

Even if Democrats just brought the chamber to a 50-50 tie (with Republicans technically still in control thanks to Pence), that would probably be enough to sink any attempt at repealing ACA. The GOP would need to hold every member of their caucus which means they'd need Collins and Murkowski.

Bee tee dubs, McCain won't be voting for the foreseeable future so they'd need one of those two anyway to hit 50. Oops!

Mathieran

Banned
Damn I was hoping we could rest for a while. I have healthcare through my employer so I wouldn't be immediately impacted (although I'm sure premiums would start increasing more quickly) but like any decent human being I don't want to see people who rely on ACA to lose their healthcare.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Let them keep trying and failing. Voters are going to get tired of this. Imagine you voted for these republican senators and you had a laundry list of things you wanted them to change. Yes, this is one of those... but imagine if you have 20 things you'd like to see addressed, but they don't get to it because they refuse to go past item #1.

There are going to be a LOT of really unhappy donors come mid-terms.
I think you are over-estimating the American public tbh. Very few of them have anything close to 20 things in their list and most of them can be told "we made new jobs" and they'll eat it.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
So the article is wrong? They mention using reconciliation for 51 votes

I don't think that's correct, based on the tail end of the first thread. That's the funny thing about the Trump tweets about 50 v. 60. They only need 50, meaning at least one of Collins, Murkowski, or McCain.

Yeah, I was going off what gaffers said in the other thread. I hope someone can clear it up.

Saya

Which 8 Dems is Trump talking about? Schumer, obviously, but who else?

Or is this just Trump spouting off at the mouth?

1. Hillary Clinton
2. Hillary Clinton
3. Barack Obama
4. Chuck Schumer
5. Hillary Clinton
6. Hillary Clinton
7. Hillary Clinton
8. Chelsea Clinton

Socivol

Which 8 Dems is Trump talking about? Schumer, obviously, but who else?

Or is this just Trump spouting off at the mouth?

Hahaha!

He just means 8 in general because the Republicans only have 52 seat, 8 shy of the 60 needed to pass most legislation.

Will repost this topic as many times as I need to.

Why can't they just stop? This is asinine. It's wildly unpopular and clearly they can't reach a consensus on it. Just drop the issue and move onto something else instead of constantly trying to kill your constituents.

Because they are just as obsessed and invested as Trump in undermining Obama and other Democrats in this arena. After talking about this for almost a decade they've convinced themselves they have to deliver. They also all come from the inherent perspective that the government should have no hand in the health of their citizens. As long as they hold that view they cannot stop. They must deny Americans healthcare because it's one of their major primary functions at this point. Hard coded programming that cannot be erased.

UberTag

Trump can't rest until he knows he finally managed to kill millions of people.

What a pathetic little manbaby.
He has the nuke codes. I don't see anyone stopping him from using them if he's so desperate to murder millions of innocent people.

At least with a nuke he could target away from his precious base instead of allowing them to suffer and die without health care like those hated Liberals.

Kusagari

Anything that defends planned parenthood is an instant no for Murkowski and Collins.

And with McCain gone; that kills it.

Ekai

It's nicknamed after a black man who made fun of him at a dinner once. That's honestly as deep as it goes.

It's funny since that's the Republican made nickname for it to try to get their base to hate healthcare they didn't have before and wouldn't have under Republicans.

What will it take to get the Republican Party outlawed?

They're a political party hell bent on watching people die.

I wonder this every single day.

jelly

It's so annoying how much they lie about healthcare and just want to make it worse. People actually believe it.

Look at this government waste. The government isn't the problem, republican led governments are the problem. There are so many issues that need to be resolved and they keep trying to force an unpopular legislation. When is the media going to call out Trump and the Republican leadership for continually wasting taxpayer money?

Piecake

He hates Obama and wants his legacy destroyed. He and the vast majority of republicans in Congress hate that a black man was President and was able to pass healthcare reform. They've never gotten over that and will never get over it. This obsession with repealing the ACA/Obamacare is their racism on full display. If they actually provided a real plan that helped people and was better then Obamacare on all fronts I would think other wise. I really would. They aren't, they're going to hurt people, and the driving force behind that and their lack of giving a single fuck about the people they will harm is their hatred of Obama and it only comes from one single place.

I'd put good money on Trump hating Obama more for humiliating him at the 2011 White House Corespondents Dinner.

Shoeless

It would be amazing to see the song and dance required to change the laws and conditions so Republicans can do this and ignore opposition, and it would be even more amazing to see the song and dance required to repeal those same changes if the Democrats ever held a majority and the Republicans realized those rules could now be used against them.

The lack of long term thinking on display here is astounding.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
It's so annoying how much they lie about healthcare and just want to make it worse. People actually believe it.

Doesn't believe the news, or reporters. Doesn't believe science. Doesn't believe facts.

"You can't fool me!!"

Believes in the people who open lie to them.

UberTag

The lack of long term thinking on display here is astounding.
Trump has no concept of long-term thinking. He wants his wins now. Now, now, now. He wants his parades now. He wants to end all of Obama's legacy now. He wants to arrest Hillary now. He wants to fire Mueller now. He wants to lift Russia's sanctions now.

And he doesn't want to work for any of it. Because he won last November so he should get everything he wants. That's how this works, right?

Ekai

Their base will eat up anything as will some moderates because they don't stop to critically think about any of this. Which makes sense given how much Republicans have attacked education. An educated populace doesn't help them stay in power and line their pockets. Which is all they want at the end of the day.

The fact some even realize their loved ones will die if the ACA is repealed but still vote for Republicans anyway is even more baffling to me. And these people really fucking exist. I guess their bigotry that leads them to support Republicans means more to them than their loved ones.

Top Bottom