• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senate's McConnell says Obamacare repeal high on agenda.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bossking

Banned
I was getting my healthcare through state-sponsored Kynect, which was discontinued last month in favor of healthcare.gov. Should I even bother applying now (not like I can anyways since the site never fucking works)? I'm concerned and worried about how new applicants are going to get their insurance, or even be able to keep their current plans.

Ric Flair

Banned
I seem to hear this a lot. Are there that many people out there that will be royally screwed if it goes away?
Literally shit tons of people, anyone with a preexisting condition can kiss quality healthcare goodbye unless they want to pay out the ass for it. This isn't going to be healthcare reform, it's fucking tapping out to insurance companies

As a cancer survivor, I will probably have to close my business, this was the only way I could be insured. Maybe can get it through my wife, but that's 2x as expensive as my exchange plan, and since it's via her adjunct university gig, is tenuous.

That was the plan for the democrats too, right? If not "replace it with something better" then something like "make drastic changes" to the point that it's essentially been replaced with something better.

As is it's a disaster and I don't think there's much left for debate about it. The end goal is great and I hope/think we'll get there eventually, but the current execution is not ok at all.

We won't get there eventually because the GOP is going to nuke it. The place we are at now with ACA and healthcare reform is a place we NEED to be. We need to go through this if you really want to see something better on the other side. People don't get this. They want fucking healthcare reform overnight like all it takes is the snap of a finger and are too blind or ignorant to the actual process necessary and the realities of the issue.

devilhawk

If they outright repeal it, they will destroy themselves as too many (20+ million) voting Americans will be negatively impacted immediately and the knock-on effects will be felt through the entire health industry, including old republican voters who want their meds and medicare.

They won't do this.

They will grandstand for a while (probably a long while, especially if obstruction is left open and the filibuster isn't attacked immediately), tear it apart little by little, but they won't outright tear it down unless they are insane and want to immediately start dismantling themselves. They will also use it as an blame-space against ever-rising premiums (as its not going to stop), and scapegoat on Obama for years further.
This is pretty much our best hope. Republicans haven't really needed alternatives or to be more measured in the repeal bills they send since Obama was guaranteed to veto it. Now there are consequences for their actions. We need to hope that a straight up and down repeal of the ACA is too unpalatable for the GOP, and I really think that it might be.

I was getting my healthcare through state-sponsored Kynect, which was discontinued last month in favor of healthcare.gov. Should I even bother applying now (not like I can anyways since the site never fucking works)? I'm concerned and worried about how new applicants are going to get their insurance, or even be able to keep their current plans.
You should. There is definitely the possibility that people with insurance can keep it but new applications are stopped.

Expect "something better" to be patreon or gofundme the day you get a serious condition.

My friend has cancer and I donated to her GoFundMe last month. Even with the AHA people are still forced to get crowd funding for treatment. The AHA didn't improve upon that and I don't think whatever Trump puts out will either tbh. I'm a nihilist when it comes to healthcare at this point

sensui-tomo

Here's the question i've had, I had medicaide for a year because i was qualified for it (and i only took it because of that bullshit penalty for not having health care that would be reflected in my tax return) and i'm loosing it (because i make more than enough money this year vs last year) will i more than likely not need health insurance or will i still have to get it to avoid a penalty during the next tax return season? If obama care didnt have that bs mandate that i need healthcare or i gotta pay through taxes i'd have been fine.

Kin5290

Yeah and guess what, it fucking worked out for them. The GOP played dirty as fuck and now they control the government. I'm gonna be bitter about that for a long time.
I always had this problem with the Kumbayah in the Clinton campaign. Big tent or not, you can't trust Republicans further than you can throw them, and that came back to bite her hard. Plus, it was never sustainable.

Fuck tou, turtle man.
What a shame that Obama's legacy is going to be reduced to ashes by these old fucks.
I still can't believe that America gave the reigns of power to a bunch of cartoon villains. Seriously, the US Republican party is constantly mocked all over the world but somehow they still managed to swindle their country, what a sad day.

Jenov

Premiums were rising like crazy before Obamacare, so I cannot imagine how repealing it would make much of a difference.

I do hope that if they repeal it they have SOMETHING in place to keep in some of the more positive public health parts of the plan (pre-existing conditions, children on plan, free bc for women, etc), but republicans are so rabid they'll probably trash the entire thing without a back up.

But hey, we got a vague idea of "something better" right? No state line restrictions or something...

Pizoxuat

Time to schedule time with my doctor to trade to a 10 year IUD. Who knows what my reproductive rights will be in a few months.

It's not a fix for what will happen to me if my cancer comes back, but we'll cross that bridge if we get to it.

TomServo

Yes, clinton's plan was to fix it but a lot of voters didn't grasp that seemingly.

Clinton didn't have a realistic plan to fix it. She was going to somehow implement price controls on Rx drugs and force states to accept Medicaid expansion.

Beyond that, her platform were bullet points which started with "Expand Access..", which in all likelihood would mean "Increase Costs..."

Here's the question i've had, I had medicaide for a year because i was qualified for it (and i only took it because of that bullshit penalty for not having health care that would be reflected in my tax return) and i'm loosing it (because i make more than enough money this year vs last year) will i more than likely not need health insurance or will i still have to get it to avoid a penalty during the next tax return season? If obama care didnt have that bs mandate that i need healthcare or i gotta pay through taxes i'd have been fine.

the mandate is what supports the system. Heaven forbid the "greatest and richest country in the world" ask it's citizens to all chip in so that health care can become a right, rather than a privilege.

Clinton didn't have a realistic plan to fix it. She was going to somehow implement price controls on Rx drugs and force states to accept Medicaid expansion.

Beyond that, her platform were bullet points which started with "Expand Access..", which in all likelihood would mean "Increase Costs..."
If the choice is between rising premiums while covering all Americans vs. Rising premiums while leaving millions of Americans without healthcare... I'll choose the former.

mr2xxx

Banned
Mom currently has cancer and luckily had healthcare due to the ACA. Now with a preexisting condition, no idea how much her coverage will skyrocket. Hopefully she's able to get better before any new changes take place.

Honestly, good. I like Obama, but obamacare turned out pretty terrible. My girlfriend who is in school full time, only works a 7 hour a week work study job, has to pay almost $100/mo out of pocket after tax credits for a plan that hardly covers anything with a grossly high deductible. And the rates are going up next year? Yea screw that...

Maybe if the ACA's ripped out, people will realize the problem is multiple redundant for-profit insurance agencies and not the government's attempts to fix the consequences of their existence.

Then we can move to single-payer.

Maybe.

I hate to say this, but after what I saw what my new premium will be next year on the ACA (67% monthly increase ), I won't miss it too much. Hopefully Trump truly does replace it with "Something better"
Wow, what a dismissive attitude. Doesn't it bother you millions of people are going to get their health insurance snatched away from them?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Tax cuts, the end of obamacare, and no nuclear war with Russia are 3 things you can 100% count on for Trump's first term.

Its finished.

Zips

I would expect something like them reverting everything back to what it was like before Obamacare in terms of the system itself, without any significant changes.

Most you might get is along the lines of `We`ll leave it as this for now as Obamacare must go, and work out changes later.`

Followed by no actual improvement. Just back to the old system.

Spoiler: he won't.

That's why Republicans talk a big game about "repeal and replace" and "market based solution" and then nothing else. Obamacare IS the "market based solution" and it already has problems.

My bad I should have put "/s" at the end of my post. I thought I was being obviously sarcastic when I was banking on a new plan under the premise that it would be "something better" with no details on it whatsoever. I agree that we're screwed, I'm just saying the future of the AHA wasn't looking that great either even before the election happened.

Honestly, good. I like Obama, but obamacare turned out pretty terrible. My girlfriend who is in school full time, only works a 7 hour a week work study job, has to pay almost $100/mo out of pocket after tax credits for a plan that hardly covers anything with a grossly high deductible. And the rates are going up next year? Yea screw that...

So you work on improving the law, instead of an outright repeal that leaves 20 million Americans in the cold.

so is the better plan for your girlfriend to not have insurance at all? So that when heaven forbid something happens she gets hit with an absurdly high medical bill she will never be able to pay that tax payers will have to pick up the tab for anyway?

The rates are gonna go up regardless.

TomServo

If the choice is between rising premiums while covering all Americans vs. Rising premiums while leaving millions of Americans without healthcare... I'll choose the former.

Fair enough. Despite being a libertarian, I'm for single payer.

The reality is that those of us with coverage are already paying for those without.

The $3,000+ I paid for an ER trip in the middle of the night last year bore no relationship to the amount of service I received or the costs expended. It was simply, "holy shit, this guy can pay, stick it to him!" The inflated bills we pay cover for the people who can't pay at all.

Kin5290

My bad I should have put "/s" at the end of my post. I thought I was being obviously sarcastic when I was banking on a new plan under the premise that it would be "something better" with no details on it whatsoever.
In retrospect, the scare quotes were a giveaway, but there are newly emboldened Trumpsters and I couldn't be sure.

But yeah, best case scenario the GOP is going to gut it but not destroy it, and then point at it as an example of failed policy NHS style.

Blader

It'll be like Obama was never president at all. It's fucking heartbreaking.

Maybe if the ACA's ripped out, people will realize the problem is multiple redundant for-profit insurance agencies and not the government's attempts to fix the consequences of their existence.

Then we can move to single-payer.

Maybe.

Yes, I'm sure the three conservative-dominated branches of government will now implement a single-payer system.

Ric Flair

Banned
Fuck tou, turtle man.
What a shame that Obama's legacy is going to be reduced to ashes by these old fucks.
I still can't believe that America gave the reigns of power to a bunch of cartoon villains. Seriously, the US Republican party is constantly mocked all over the world but somehow they managed to swindle their country.
There's a large swath of people living in rural America that have zero interaction with the outside world or even other cultures. Its like white eutopia all throughout the rural Midwest. These people have nothing to do on a Tuesday afternoon and vote in droves for whomever is going to give them theirs and leave them the fuck alone in their little eutopia. This is the problem with American politics. Urban America is a majorly liberal society, wheres you have these incredibly large populations of white people all throughout the country whose only interaction with minorities of all kinds is through the television screen. For instance, all these millions of stupid fucks throughout the country worried about their kids sharing the bathroom with a transgendered kid, the chances of any of them ever encountering a single fucking transgendered person of any age at any point in time whatsoever is god damn slim (like 1 in a billion) yet they want to punish these people because fox news tells them they're going to touch their kids in the bathroom.

Boogie, the Youtuber, was talking about how he will now lose his healthcare because of this. His wife, his primary caretaker, will need to get an outside job. She's currently CEO of his businesses, but cannot get affordable insurance without the ACA.

He can afford getting another caretaker, but it will change his life drastically. I could imagine many are gonna be in the same boat.

Didn't Boogie also say he wasn't going to vote for Hillary and go third party or is his new video saying he voted for her? Sucks that his life will have to change

Edit: His new video says he voted for Jill

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Do it. I hope you fuck this up and start all of your terms in the worst way possible.

(There's no way this isn't going to botched anyway, I do wish people weren't about to suffer from this)

thefro

I think there's going to be a couple year phase-out from everything I've read, so it'd be worth signing up if you need it.

I truly hope "something better" means something better, but I have my doubts of course.

There's no way they cut support for those with pre existing conditions. Not if they want to be re-elected.

If they outright repeal it, they will destroy themselves as too many (20+ million) voting Americans will be negatively impacted immediately and the knock-on effects will be felt through the entire health industry, including old republican voters who want their meds and medicare.

They won't do this.

They will grandstand for a while (probably a long while, especially if obstruction is left open and the filibuster isn't attacked immediately), tear it apart little by little, but they won't outright tear it down unless they are insane and want to immediately start dismantling themselves. They will also use it as an blame-space against ever-rising premiums (as its not going to stop), and scapegoat on Obama for years further.

If the filibuster isn't addressed Day-1, then what little sanity remains will gridlock government for four years.

Oh, they will. Premiums won't stop, medicare will fall apart, and their drugs will become prohibitively expensive, little by little, and more of them will get sicker and sicker. Soon the very same people who said "get better" to pre-existing conditions, will have pre-existing conditions.

but they won't realize it right away. It will be a slow, slow rot.

So, Republicans will just keep ignoring healthcare issues and not come up with a replacement or improvement, because as privileged rich people it doesn't affect them? That'd be depressing. What would it take for them to want to improve it? Cause if they don't, they're basically saying they don't care for anyone who happens to be middle class or lower.

The sad thing is that the ACA looked great on paper and largely accomplished its goals in that it 1) protected those with pre-existing conditions and 2) did expand the number of insured people. It failed at selling itself as a vibrant market because insurers didn't see the financial sense in offering plans on it and the under 30 "invincible" crowd didn't sign up for it in the numbers they were projecting when they drafted it, driving up premiums at large since most of the people that actively shopped it were sick and needed insurance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom