• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sengoku Basara (sequel) confirmed for the Wii

xfactor

Banned
Sad_Panda said:
No next-gen Sengoku Basara 3 definitely makes me a sad panda >_> didn'y Sengoku Basara 2 Heroes Wii bomb horribly hard ?
Oh well, still importing it day one, but disappointed.

Sengoku Basara 2 Heroes Wii is an enhanced port of PS2 Sengoku Basara 2. Sengoku Basara 2 Heroes PS2 was even launched on the same date as the Wii version. Nobody will expect the Wii version to sell well when the fanbase was already on the PS2 at that time. It was more of a test game to see whether there's a market for this genre on the Wii before they decide which platform to make Sengoku Basara 3 for.

It probably turned out that Sengoku Basara 2 Heroes Wii met their low expectation, and Koei's decision to release Samurai Warrior 3 further confirmed their decision. (Sengoku Basara 3 can get even more sales after Samurai Warrior 3 helps to expand the fanbase of the genre on the Wii)

cvxfreak

xfactor said:
Sengoku Basara 2 Heroes Wii is an enhanced port of PS2 Sengoku Basara 2. Sengoku Basara 2 Heroes PS2 was even launched on the same date as the Wii version. Nobody will expect the Wii version to sell well when the fanbase was already on the PS2 at that time. It was more of a test game to see whether there's a market for this genre on the Wii before they decide which platform to make Sengoku Basara 3 for.

It probably turned out that Sengoku Basara 2 Heroes Wii met their low expectation, and Koei's decision to release Samurai Warrior 3 further confirmed their decision. (Sengoku Basara 3 can get even more sales after Samurai Warrior 3 helps to expand the fanbase of the genre on the Wii)

This post.

Furthermore, Capcom just seems to largely be done with the PS2 at this point. They've also been bringing their best Wii projects to the North American and PAL markets, including Tatsunoko vs. Capcom and Monster Hunter 3, so I think Sengoku Basara 3 will see a Western release as well.

laserbeam

Banned
cvxfreak said:
This post.

Furthermore, Capcom just seems to largely be done with the PS2 at this point. They've also been bringing their best Wii projects to the North American and PAL markets, including Tatsunoko vs. Capcom and Monster Hunter 3, so I think Sengoku Basara 3 will see a Western release as well.

Indeed. I think Iwata is very serious when he says he is working with Capcom and Square as far as trying to bring some of these franchises to the west and make them successful.

Its a level of commitment 3rd parties like to get from console makers and it helps foster good relations long term.

Sad_Panda

xfactor said:

Yeah, I get what you're saying. Makes sense when you think about it. And I forgot about SW3 being announced as a Wii exclusive - well, even if a PS3/PSP/360 port down the line is almost guaranteed.
Still, I think there was a market for a musou-type brawler on PS3/360, especially considering Koei's lackluster offering. And I have serious doubts about Sengoku Basara being ever successful in the West.

xfactor

Banned
I am betting they are basing their decision to localise this game or not, by the sales of Tatsunoko vs. Capcom and Monster Hunter 3 in the west. After all, they've failed once with Devil King

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
They must of saw me complaining about Heroes not being brought to the West. With this move they can bring over 2 heroes to build up a small fanbase before they bring out 3. They also need to re-release a Wii budget version of SB2H in Japan now that it has a decent size install base.

Olaeh

The 3rd party situation definitely seems to be looking up in Japan these days. MH3 got the ball rolling; Hopefully SW3, SB3, Tales of, and FFCC:CB can keep the momentum.

wow, isn't it Capcom that was giving the middle finger to the Wii? Sounds to me like they continue to give to the PSP, leaving money on the table etc, etc.

If they are going to do another Devil Kings-like localization they can skip it though.

Spiegel

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
wow, isn't it Capcom that was giving the middle finger to the Wii? Sounds to me like they continue to give to the PSP, leaving money on the table etc, etc.

Well, the announcement was leaked in an article talking about Capcom and their Wii support. The game could still be multiplatform, unless I'm missing something.

Probably won't be multiplatform but this has happened in the past (Silent Hill: Shattered Memories)

billy.sea

Banned
The first thing they need to do when they localize this game in the US is to change the stupidly generic but still lame "Devil King" name.

duckroll

So since Cpacom has put out a press release saying the reports on this are not official..... maybe Sengoku Basara 3 is Wii/PS2 after all! :lol

laserbeam said:
Indeed. I think Iwata is very serious when he says he is working with Capcom and Square as far as trying to bring some of these franchises to the west and make them successful.

Its a level of commitment 3rd parties like to get from console makers and it helps foster good relations long term.

Now that's how you build 3rd party relations.That's how SONY received such close ties to Squaresoft. Being the best marketer in gaming definitely has its ups.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
They just released a Sengoku Basara game for PSP like 4 months ago. Sold pretty well, too.
3493+-+Sengoku+Basara%3A+Battle+Heroes+-+PSP

xfactor

Banned
AnimeTheme said:
Capcom DENIED it. At least it isn't an official announcement yet.

http://ir.capcom.co.jp/news/html/090812.html

Reread the press release again. Actually, read the English version:
http://ir.capcom.co.jp/english/news/html/e090812.html

Nowhere did Capcom denied it. They only said they refuse to talk about anything regarding the product in question at the moment.

In other words, they are telling the reporters to not ask any question regarding BASARA 3 now and that they will speak only when they think its time.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
HUELEN10 said:
AUGH!!!!!!! How did the capcom/konami meme start anyways?
Pretty sure it was Castlevania that started the trend. Some guy in the DoS topic thought it was a Capcom game so everyone went along with it.

Spiegel

HUELEN10 said:

I meant SH was revealed for the first time in a Nintendo centric magazine and people thought it was an exclusive, later the game was confirmed for PS2 and PSP.

TreIII

Pretty much called it in the last "count down" topic. But any way: YEAAAAAAAAAH, BOI! :D

xfactor said:

Nowhere did Capcom denied it. They only said they refuse to talk about anything regarding the product in question at the moment.

In other words, they are telling the reporters to not ask any question regarding BASARA 3 now and that they will speak only when they think its time.

Pretty much.

This is almost exactly like what happened with Tatsunoko vs. Capcom last year. By the time the actual board that TvC was running on was leaked (and that said board was based on Wii architecture no less), there was no more doubt about where the home port was going to end up, except for those in extreme denial. It was just that Capcom was not willing to say anything otherwise until a Famitsu leak some time later.

So, for those who know their history of such things in the past, this much shouldn't be new.

I'm just sure that Capcom is a bit PO'd at the fact that such a cat was let out the bag by a news publication that couldn't keep their mouths shut or otherwise found out something and leaked it before it was time. Oh well...! :lol

wrowa

xfactor said:

So, we have to wait until next week when Famitsu will reveal the EXCLUSIVE ANNOUNCEMENT of Sengoku Basara 3
for every console but Wii -- come on, that would be funny!

TreIII

wrowa said:
So, we have to wait until next week when Famitsu will reveal the EXCLUSIVE ANNOUNCEMENT of Sengoku Basara 3

More or less. Technically, those lucky few who were at the BASARA event last month hinted at the notion that we could expect to see something "later in August".

Welp, it's bout dat time. And right on time for Famitsu's new release schedule, no less!

xfactor said:

:lol I love how vague it tries to be. It's tiny, so I'll just quote the whole thing.
About certain report on August 12, 2009

Today, there was a certain report about Capcom in certain media.
We will make a necessary public announcement about product information when deemed appropriate.

Jokeropia

JoshuaJSlone said:
:lol I love how vague it tries to be. It's tiny, so I'll just quote the whole thing.
About certain report on August 12, 2009

Today, there was a certain report about Capcom in certain media.
We will make a necessary public announcement about product information when deemed appropriate.
:lol

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Spiegel said:
Well, the announcement was leaked in an article talking about Capcom and their Wii support. The game could still be multiplatform, unless I'm missing something.

Given the context of the article (Capcom and Nintendo's strengthening relationship, working together on demos and promotions), I doubt that Nintendo would be making that effort on a multiplat game.

TreIII

schuelma said:
Given the context of the article (Capcom and Nintendo's strengthening relationship, working together on demos and promotions), I doubt that Nintendo would be making that effort on a multiplat game.

Well, if nothing else, there's this. This was an interview taken last year.

...someone from 2ch managed to post a summary of interview with Kobayashi-san in Famitsu.
Quote:

41 名前:名無し曰く、 投稿日:2008/09/12(金) 11:58:41 ID:+AmdzTZh
ファミ通の小林Pのインタ読んだよ

BASARA3早く出せよと言われそうだけど
自分としてはPS2ではクロスで終了のはずだった
外でPSPで出して欲しいと声が大きかった事と
PSPが売れてることもあって決めた
とりあえずみんなが待ってるであろう数字の物はまだ待っててほしい
新ボイスは大量で外伝以上に撮った
CGでの新OPムービーや新主題歌もあり

だそうだ
- http://s13.zetaboards.com/koeiwarriors/single/?p=685551&t=255731

Basically, at the time of that interview, Kobyashi (producer for both BASARA and DMC), did more to say that PS2 development for the series is over, with either SB2:Heroes or SBX being the "last" game, depending on if you want to recognize SBX or not. :lol

But in any case, if Kobyashi was that certain a year ago, then I wouldn't expect a PS2 port of SB3. It's seemingly over and done, now.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
TreIII said:
Well, if nothing else, there's this. This was an interview taken last year.

Interesting, thanks for that.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is one of the featured 3rd party reveals at Nintendo's Fall Conference.

TreIII

schuelma said:
Interesting, thanks for that.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is one of the featured 3rd party reveals at Nintendo's Fall Conference.

Same here. At least at the JP version of the conference.

Of course, on the other hand, there is that "Sengoku BASARA" copyright that now exists in the US. Could really be a sign that they intend to push this game over here, as well.

xfactor

Banned
I almost feel bad that I leaked this news to the English speaking part of the world, and Capcom have to release that English press release, which also ended up confusing at least 1 site who have no idea that it was referring to BASARA 3 yet.

Troidal

sigh...

No Basara on PS3/360. It was obvious, but still can't feel but disappointed.

And this is by no means trolling, but I really feel like I am so left out this generation.

TreIII

xfactor said:
I almost feel bad that I leaked this news to the English speaking part of the world, and Capcom have to release that English press release, which also ended up confusing at least 1 site who have no idea that it was referring to BASARA 3 yet.

What's to feel bad about? :D

I mean, seriously. Relatively speaking? BASARA is so much of a "small fish" in the eyes of the English-speaking majority, it doesn't affect many people at all. The few among those who do care, and are crying foul for whatever reason, are even less in number. :lol

Netto-kun said:
Awesome news.:D Still need to pick up the Battle Heroes and the Wii version of Basara 2.

THIS.

PUT YA GUNS ON

I love seeing people's reactions when they see the start of the anime series lol. That reminds me ... would anyone happen to have the BASARA 1 version of this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5GOdJ52Sog ?

That is where the infamous anime scene came from, but the only clips I could find were from Devil Kings (which got rid of the guns line, prob to make it seem more sensible, and of course doesn't have Nakai's awesome Engrish either lol).

TreIII

AdawgDaFAB said:
I love seeing people's reactions when they see the start of the anime series lol. That reminds me ... would anyone happen to have the BASARA 1 version of this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5GOdJ52Sog ?

That is where the infamous anime scene came from, but the only clips I could find were from Devil Kings (which got rid of the guns line, prob to make it seem more sensible, and of course doesn't have Nakai's awesome Engrish either lol).

Here.

It says SB2, but this is actually Masamune's SB1 intro.

Brofist

HUELEN10 said:

I hate that meme, cause you know some people are genuinely still making the mistake, and now their ass is covered by that stupid meme.

Troidal said:
sigh...

No Basara on PS3/360. It was obvious, but still can't feel but disappointed.

And this is by no means trolling, but I really feel like I am so left out this generation.

Glad you said it first ;) But I agree.

Top Bottom