• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senran Kagura Community Thread: Cuteness Is Justice, Ninjas Are Life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYPqoDghGpM

Here's a stream of PBS, just skip to the 50m 2s mark for it to start.

My thoughts

The camera is still an absolute mess, I got motion sickness just by watching it flail around

Oddly enough the movement is seemingly too fast for the pacing of the game

There's way too many "dead" spots where there is nothing happening to the player on the stages even with all the mooks around

Speaking of mooks they're still brain dead

Hard to tell how the fuck bosses are because Rin was barely on the screen niping the streamer and then she was taken down by one of the AI partners. Hardly what I'd call an engaging boss

Games has too much menus to be considered import friendly (although Uppers looked the same and was ultimately just the appearance)

Going back to the split storylines format is disappointing unless they actually wrote the stories as complementing each other instead of being mutually exclusive but I'm not holding my breath

I think is also likely Mikagura will be the super secret chapter unlocked by finishing the other routes ala Crimson Squad on Versus but I doubt NW and Legends will get the same treatment

Gameplay looks pretty bare bones but serviceable. I doubt it will have a long lasting MP scene though

The most interesting bit of the stream is the fact that Miss R was still giving commentary despite Rin being in the field so there's that

Same day as the PC launch of EV, the 17th.

Nice! I'll get Binding of Isaac Afterbirth+ for Switch and when I need a break from the gore I'll have new Senran Kagura ladies to play with.

Does Peach Beach Splash have a US date yet? I have it preordered from AmiAmi so I assume I'll get it sometime towards the end of March or early April but I'm not gonna actually play it till the US version drops.

I should probably finish off EV at some point I guess. Hmm.

Nice! I'll get Binding of Isaac Afterbirth+ for Switch and when I need a break from the gore I'll have new Senran Kagura ladies to play with.

Does Peach Beach Splash have a US date yet? I have it preordered from AmiAmi so I assume I'll get it sometime towards the end of March or early April but I'm not gonna actually play it till the US version drops.

I should probably finish off EV at some point I guess. Hmm.

I really hope we get an SK game on Switch eventually, it'd be so convenient to be able to play at home/on the go with one version instead of 2 like the PS4/Vita situation.

Also, if anyone has a preorder for an extra copy of the "5th Anniversary DX Pack" that comes with the giant mousepad I'd be willing to pay more than full price plus shipping for one :p (we could work out a price and do the actual sale through Ebay if that's cool)

SerTapTap

My copy of Peach Beach Splash might be a bit late since I'm getting from Ami Ami instead of Amazon jp but if anyone wants to add me to play when it launches, add me. PSN's in my profile, just say you're from gaf so I know who it is. If you don't mind exposing whatever your 'real name' is set to, I set my real name to Sir TapTap and my icon is my TapTap so I'm easier to find.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Getting this digitally, so hope to be playing sometime in the evening on Wednesday, 3/15. Preload starts 3/13. Will pick up a physical copy of the U.S. version whenever it releases.

Demoskinos

I think I'm just waiting on this one. Looks fun but I'd rather not have to try to figure oit all the menus and cards. Plus I already have a hot stack of games I need to finish.

lol
ShouldveBeenDeepCrimson.png
Also, the first set of DLC characters for Peach Beach Splash are the ultimate forms of Asuka, Homura, Yumi; Miyabi

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
hahahahahahahahaha, that's great.

........until you remember Ayane in EV wasn't allowed to have her clothing shredded, DESPITE THE SKIN SHE SHOWED VIA SWIMSUITS IN DOA XTREME 2 & 3.

..............when are we getting DoAX3 swimsuits as DLC outfits in SK??!

Eolz

........until you remember Ayane in EV wasn't allowed to have her clothing shredded, DESPITE THE SKIN SHE SHOWED VIA SWIMSUITS IN DOA XTREME 2 & 3.

Her clothing could be shredded, just not her underwear, which made sense for a third party character never going that far.
To be honest, I don't play SK for the bright lights that appear after some underwear explodes.

Marie Rose?? Yuuus!

Did Ayane have her original Japanese VA in Estival Versus? I don't remember checking.

Yep. Sounded a bit different, but it was the same VA in the end.

lol

Also, the first set of DLC characters for Peach Beach Splash are the ultimate forms of Asuka, Homura, Yumi; Miyabi

I wanted an SK game on Switch and they pulled it off in less than a week, fastest turnaround ever :p

I really hope that all the DLC makes it to the west, especially the DOAX3 stuff, do we know if Ayane is coming to EV yet? That may indicate the chances of the PBS stuff coming over.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Pretty sure she will. She was the only DLC character to originally make it over to the PS4/Vita versions.

Her clothing could be shredded, just not her underwear, which made sense for a third party character never going that far.
To be honest, I don't play SK for the bright lights that appear after some underwear explodes.
Should've worded that better, as that's what I meant. She kept her underwear on during the Purupuru Finishes. & I would argue those bright lights covered more skin compared to the skimpiest outfits you could get in Xtreme 2 & especially 3, along with the fact you could make them pole dance with it on.

I know it was a rule implemented by Itagaki that they could never be naked since he considers the girls their children (& Japanese rating regulations), but again, those skimpy swimsuits in DoAX2/3 showed about 95% of the girl wearing it.

If anything, I just hope the characters can actually contribute to the story instead of in EV where you can only use the DLC characters after finishing a mission, meaning you basically gotta beat the game first to use them & they offer nothing in terms of additional dialogue/interactions or story. Have Mirai instantly befriend Marie Rose & such.

I wanted an SK game on Switch and they pulled it off in less than a week, fastest turnaround ever :p

I really hope that all the DLC makes it to the west, especially the DOAX3 stuff, do we know if Ayane is coming to EV yet? That may indicate the chances of the PBS stuff coming over.

Ayane's been in SKEV since day one my friend! Or whatever day her DLC pack actually released. But the beginning!

She's OP as fuuuuck. I stopped even trying to get good ranks with the normal girls because going in and cleaning fuckin houuuuse with her was so much fun.

Lyte Edge

Peach Beach Splash, GOTY 2017 (lolol), unlocks today. Hype!
phil_.png

To clarify, Estival Versus' localized release did not get one set of DLC, which were the three characters from Ikkitousen. This was apparently due to licensing reasons. That's not a problem with the Dead Or Alive characters.

But now tomorrow we are finally getting the Ikkitousen characters as well. Peach Beach Splash, Ikkitousen DLC, and Estival Versus on PC all in the span of 24 hours? It's Senran overload for me, brehs.

I know it was a rule implemented by Itagaki that they could never be naked since he considers the girls their children (& Japanese rating regulations), but again, those skimpy swimsuits in DoAX2/3 showed about 95% of the girl wearing it.

None of that matters. Itagaki hasn't been a part of Team Ninja or at Koei Tecmo for years now. My guess is that someone at K-T just didn't want to have their character "nude" as part of the deal.

SerTapTap

Marie Rose before Kasumi. What even happened to DOA. SMH.

Anyway, hopefully getting PBS before the end of the month, add me on PSN if you want, it's in my profile. Say you're from SK GAF

mao2

KTEIgki.jpg

Peach Beach Splash adds Marie Rose and Honoka from Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 as DLC
https://twitter.com/famitsu/status/841574650500997122
Ayane will be joining too. Also, all 3 DLC characters will be available on March 30, each character costs 700yen, costumes cost 150yen or 350yen and an all DLC set for 3,000yen.
http://blog.hokanko-alt.com/archives/50855544.html
DEAD OR ALIVEシリーズとのコラボで、3/30に「マリー・ローズ」「ほのか」「あやね」が参戦。キャラは各700円、衣装は各150円or350円などで、全DLCセットが3000円。

Lyte Edge

OK guys, just started playing Peach Beach Splash. Right off the bat-

The interface is very similar to Estival Versus' menu screens. You can do single player, multiplayer, training, check options, check content, check cards, customize characters, shop, etc. I think there are more outfits and hair available than other games right from the start, although I did purchase a deluxe version of the game so some of it is DLC.

Playing this on a Pro and the game is a rock-solid, buttery smooth 60 FPS. Looks super clean. Colors pop and there's a bit more detail on the characters, mainly hair and clothing detail. EDIT: I saw the framerate drop a bit just now. It's not buttery smooth.

The presentation is standard Senran affair, I.E. visual novel style dialogue sequences. What's different now is that you have "Mr. K and Miss R" acting as the hosts of the watergun tournament (lol), which is being streamed on Newtube. It reminds me just slightly of Splatoon, which was probably intentional, heh.

As expected of a shooter, the game play is very different than the other Senran action games and I'm still getting a feel for it. At least from the start, there's two types of modes for your gun- a single shot or a water stream. Two types of aiming, free, and auto-target, and you can hold R2 to zoom in for more focus. X is still jump and you can use water to hover or jump higher. O is dash, but now like with double-jumping/hovering, this uses your water meter and can run out quick. Square reloads your gun and it's...well...let's just get this out of the way. It looks like your character is jerking off her gun. Just...LOL. Expected of Takaki, I guess. Triangle functions as a close range melee attack. It's pretty slow though. You can also equip trading cards that you get and use them for various ability enhancements. The touch panel powers you up, but I'm not sure exactly what that means just yet.

I need to play more, but my first impressions are that if you like Senran for its beat-em-up action and are not big on shooters, this game may not be for you. If you like Senran for it's insane fan service/perv shit and like shooters even just a bit, you'll probably enjoy this.

Lyte Edge

Single player is divided into three modes: Story, Paradise Episodes, and V-Road Challenges.

I just tried a paradise episode. I was Hikage and had to face the other four squad members at the same time. Got absolutely WRECKED. Gonna have to come back to that, lol.

The game gives you three chances before you're done, represented by hearts on the top left of the screen. I quickly lost all those hearts trying to take on the whole squad. It's tough! You run out of water so damn fast. You can at least move and reload at the same time, but it's slow.

When I lost a heart, Mr. K.chimed in with "OH, SHIT!!!" and I lost it.

Eolz

Thanks for the impressions!
How would you compare it to Splatoon? Of course not as polished, but the comparison can be obvious for the shooting.
Also, did you fight a boss yet?

Lyte Edge

Thanks for the impressions!
How would you compare it to Splatoon? Of course not as polished, but the comparison can be obvious for the shooting.
Also, did you fight a boss yet?

It doesn't play anything like Splatoon. The game play is straight "death match" and it's definitely not as polished control-wise.

Haven't encountered a boss.

While I'm having fun trying this right now, I'm not even sure how much I like this game yet. I definitely prefer the musou-style beat-em-ups to this right now.

Lyte Edge

Yeah, I'm gonna need more time with this before I can really judge the game play. I just did a squad match and played as Ryoubi. She appears to have a sniper rifle...but no scope. Doesn't seem like there's a way to zoom in. She only gets two shots before a reload, so I would get swarmed by enemies and could do much other than run away to reload. Meanwhile my CPU squad went and pretty much completed the match without me, so I did next to nothing, but somehow still got an S ranking, lol.

Eolz

It doesn't play anything like Splatoon. The game play is straight "death match" and it's definitely not as polished control-wise.

Haven't encountered a boss.

While I'm having fun trying this right now, I'm not even sure how much I like this game yet. I definitely prefer the musou-style beat-em-ups to this right now.

Thanks! I think I'll still get it as a spin-off, even if people know by now that I just want SK3 to happen :p

Kind of related: an official stream for PBS is happening in 10 hours.
Possibly NSFW given who is appearing in it and retweeted it. Obviously, if you've seen one official SK stream in the past, you know that this might have been the case...

Won't have this game until next week.

Dreading how much shipping will be for those two Yumi editions I ordered. Need to track down the butt pad one too. So much store exclusive bonuses too @_@

Lyte Edge

Tried online last night. It was awful- seemed to be running at an unstable 30 FPS and the connection quality wasn't very good. But I was also playing with Japanese players, so that would probably explain the latter. Like the more challenging single player missions I tried, I found myself repeatedly getting hit before I had a chance to really do anything.

I'd like to think that I'm still missing something here, but the game is pretty simplistic. I've upgraded some weapons a bit, but generally just find the shooting system frustrating since you constantly have to reload and you're screwed if anyone is close enough to shoot you back or melee you. There needs to be a dodge mechanic in place to roll out of the way, but nothing like that is available.

Meanwhile in the story mode, I went through some more stages with the AI teammates pretty much doing everything for me, then lost on a level where you have to shoot a number of flying drones. The stage was maze-like and I couldn't find them all in time...and neither could my team, lol.

Came away last night just feeling very disappointed with this game. I really enjoyed Shinovi Versus, Estival Versus, and Senran Kagura 2 a whole lot (SK1/Burst is OK and Bon Appetite would have been better with a better music selection), and I expected to have a blast with this, but it just seems kind of bad. :|

I hope I'm just missing something.

Also regarding the characters, there's no difference between any of them. It's pretty much all about the guns. So if you get the DLC, you're just buying skins.

Lyte Edge

From GameFAQs:
All in all the game seems like a step down from Estival Versus

I can't say I'd recommend this game to anyone that is a fan of the previous games, because I really miss the combat. Shooting is pretty boring, especially because you have to manually reload like every 3 seconds and it takes a while to fully reload
I'm glad someone is enjoying it, I'm not

I don't think the game is good

This game is to Estival Versus what School Girl/Zombie Hunter is to Onechambara Z2 Chaos

A terrible shooter based spin off to a good action/hack'n'slash series

That perfectly sums up how I feel about this game right now, too. SG/ZH was also pretty bad.

Lyte Edge

Super Sonico is going to be added to PBS as DLC.

Thanks for the impressions Lyte Edge! Unlike SG/ZH, this game actually looked promising. What a bummer. :(

Check out that video I posted above. That guy makes it look like it might be a decent game. Gives me some hope, but in the end I think this will be mediocre at best. It sucks that the multiplayer isn't that great because that's where something like this should shine.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
At least they're already going all out on the guest characters.

Though not gonna lie, it sounds like I should wait for the game to hit around $30.

Ultimadrago

I've said it before, but looking at the actual play of PBS, it has always looked bad to me. I'm not sure I'll be purchasing it at full-price myself based off of the combat alone. That said, I'll keep an eye out for more footage from the Japanese release. I've been on the fence about it for a while though.

As long as the DoA crossover remains for English (which I'd hope it would), I'll likely pick it up eventually. I hate to hear that there's no statistical difference between the characters, however.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Crap, so it's basically reskins? Ugh, makes it even less appealing than the DLC characters for EV, where at least they had their own move sets.

Not to mention, there's a bundle to get all 3 DoA characters for a whopping 3,000 yen, i.e. about $30.

Lyte Edge

Yep, you're paying 3000 yen for some skins and extra edit parts. Very pricey. The 1600 yen price for the four 'powered up' girls is better, but also crazy-high considering it's literally the same characters with different hair...they don't even get their own unique clothing. Just..WTF. Somebody got greedy.

The thing about Senran Kagura games is that they always had that good mix of gameplay and pervy shit going on. This is the first game where it's just the pervy shit and the gameplay just isn't all that good. I know I keep saying this, but I'm really hoping I'm missing something. I want to like this game.

This isn't the first Takaki-produced game to disappoint, however- last year's Uppers on Vita was also a let down, but I at least liked the game play in that more than in this title.

Top Bottom