• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senran Kagura: Estival Versus |OT| Summer Life in Your Hometown

wowzors

Played maybe the first two missions. I have the other game in vita but I don't think it was anywhere near this raunchy. Then again I only played like 30 minutes of it. I feel dirty playing this.

alpha69

Loving this game way more than the earlier ones. Battle is more polished and fun.

I'm eagerly awaiting those character DLC's like Ayane from DoA. I do hope we are getting those. Is there a confirmation or something.

Alfebit

Banned

LowParry

Sooooooooooooo...I figure if DOA3X is on the plate of things to do, might as well roll with this however where exactly should I start with this series? Currently only with a PC, PS4 and Vita.

L.O.R.D

I didnt even think of that. I just checked and they're just Hebijo. (I already have) so Imma close it back up.

Should I do a raffle?

its the vita version.
I won't mind
I don't have any physical Vita game yet,so I love my first physical game to be this.

Demoskinos

Sooooooooooooo...I figure if DOA3X is on the plate of things to do, might as well roll with this however where exactly should I start with this series? Currently only with a PC, PS4 and Vita.

You can start wherever you feel you want. Estival versus the latest one in the series is the "best" but Shinovi Versus is also really good in its own right and is coming to PC sometime this summer.

I'd vote you play Shinovi but it is not 100% necessary like it might be with some series. You'll still be able to follow along in EV you might just not get some of the callbacks they do to the previous game.

SerTapTap

Probably best to start with SV for all the back stories. I love EV but it doesn't evenly introduce characters at all. SV is stilted and formulaic as fuck, but it's still useful as it's forced nature gives you all you need to know about all the main characters. TBH you could probably play SV all the way through the chapter that does all the backstories (one chapter is just character-by-character backstory exposition time), quit, then go to EV.

But you'd probably be alright reading the wiki then going to EV, but that's more spoilery.

Since this game seems to directly acknowledge the 3DS series as being a different timeline I wonder how they'll handle that. The 3DS timeline is...kinda bad. And it bombed, at least SK2 in Japan.

Pejo

Beat the main story last night. It was a surprisingly touching tale from a booby game. That last fight was a pain too, especially because I hate playing as
Ryobi.

Time to dig into the Hearts mini stories. I suspect they'll be more light hearted. I'm basically just wasting time until appear offline happens for the PS4 firmware so I can go online and try out the multiplayer.

A.E Suggs

Let me get this girl from new wave as well
latest

This one as well

antitrop

Mirai sucks so badly, holy shit her missions are tedious as hell. She does like basically no damage and her combos are weak.

Her L1+Square always misses everybody (it loves to auto-track right into walls) and barely does any damage even when it does hit, it's completely worthless. L1+Triangle is the only decent thing she has.

Got my copy!

God I have so much SK to go through before I even play this. I haven't even finished one half of the first 3DS game despite owning all of the entries at this point -_____-

I am ashamed.

I got the "main" house for my pack of cards too ): I love Katsu and her bitchin rocket boots but I really wanted the house with Yumi and the GOAT chick with the blue hair and massive robot fists. I really need to play more so I can learn everyone's names ugh. I'm such a huge fan of the art style but I'm the worst when it comes to actually playing anything X_X

I don't suppose anyone would want to trade? I took them out of their shrink wrap to look at them to see if maybe they at least looked cool enough to change my mind about them but otherwise they're in perfect condition. Literally took the wrapper off, looked through them, and stuck them carefully back in the box.

Nyoro SF

The difficulty balancing in this game is pretty funny on Hard. Aggressive enemies are one thing but it's fairly easy to de-aggro them by abusing the camera.

However the main characters that come to fight you have increased resistance to stagger, and depending on the character the amount of hitstun required to stagger them is higher (Murasaki and Yomi have very high values). Not only that, but main characters can fully charge their guard breaks / status inflictors almost instantly. Luckily the speed of their supers don't increase.

Some weird PvE balance choices; in SV bosses would burst if they were reduced to half-health, forcibly try to return to neutral state on the ground immediately so they could transform. In this game though they seem rather content to get beaten up normally until they get KO'd. Also they'll make odd choices, like instantly going into Frantic Mode or bursting when getting hit with full health or rattling off supers one after the other with no pause between after a certain time limit.

I'll be sure to write up something more coherent when I finish. I'm on Day 3, playing through slowly cause I don't have much time to play. Aerial Raves are still broken by the way, but I can't tell if they contribute to EXP gain; don't see why they wouldn't, but I was just trying to see if there was a downside to them at all.

A.E Suggs

Wow! New wave girls look WAY MORE interesting than the ones we currently have. Holy shit, it's not even close.

Yeah, looking through them they are nice

Honestly they can be hit or miss, but if we're talking about New Wave then these two NEED to be in:

Well of course, but I find more that I like from that series over most of the new one's added to the playstation senran series. I love drill girl as well, just to many to post.

antitrop

Alright, I've finished everything in the game. Just need the trophy for buying all items from the store for the Platinum.

Unfortunately, all of the new content that was added in through patches now counts towards that trophy, so they've made it pretty fucking difficult. All of the guides online are pretty outdated.

EDIT: Got it! Cleaning up the last few Creative Finishes I was missing was pretty tricky.

I have to admit I wasn't quite prepared for how lewd this game is, I know you guys warned me but wow it seems like the whole point of the game is to perv on these girls non-stop, there are bouncing boobs and upskirt/panty shots every second of anything that is going onscreen whether it be gameplay or cutscenes. I've never seen anything like it lol. The story is absolute garbage, just pages and pages of text with nothing significant happening, just girls getting mad at each other for no reason then wanting to feel each other up for no reason?! Wtf! Maybe because I'm not really into Anime etc but I really don't see the point of anything that is happening in this game, it's so shallow and boring, after the first 3 or 4 missions i've just started to skip all the story and the game has been much better since then.

Luckily the graphics and gameplay are actually really good though, so far I have finished about 14 missions on Normal all with A rank. I like using Yumi whenever I get the chance because of her L1+Triangle special, but there are a few other good characters (namely ones with swords but I don't know any of their names outside of Yumi). I am finding the difficulty a bit too each though so I may crank it up to Hard. If anyone is having trouble with the game every enemy can literally be beaten without taking any damage by double jumping straight up and pressing Triangle (where you come straight down with a corkscrew like attack), if you can time this correctly you can jump around the whole stage not taking any damage at all. The framerate is excellent (is it 60fps?! it seems like it) and I haven't seen any glitches etc. Also the amount of content is staggering, the main reason I can't remember any of the girls names is because there seems to be a never ending amount of them....new ones just keep popping up every new mission, either that or they're the same girls with different outfits (I have real trouble telling any of them apart except Yumi lol).

Just a couple of questions if any of you guys can help me out.

1. Is the dressing room good for anything? It seems like all the costumes etc are just for show/perv factor.
2. So far I have bought everything in the store but I have millions left over, should I be spending my cash on the lingerie mini-game? How do I get the lottery tokens? Are these lingerie good for anything or again are they just for show?
3. Am I correct in assuming the Yin Yang etc bars get filled up depending on what state you play the missions in? E.g. Normal, Shinobi and Naked? It seems like there is no point to be in any of these modes except Shinobi? As soon as your health gets low (if at all) press L1 to go into Shinobi and destroy everything or press L1 from the beginning and just destroy everything. There seems to be no downside to using Shinobi mode off the bat? I'm very confused why these bars even exist, do I get something when I fill them up?
4. Lastly is there any reason to keep levelling up after you unlock the L1+Circle art? What level should I be aiming for? I've gotten Yumi to 20 and stopped and started using some chick with heaps of swords on her back, she seems overpowered as fuck.
5. Is there any point to getting A rank etc in the stages? Is there an S rank?

The game is very light hearted and well made, the art style is fantastic (however the girls could look a little more realistic to take away from the creep factor a bit). They could've really made this for a mass market if they hadn't made it so perverted imo, bit of a missed opportunity to make a bit more cash but it is what it is and overall a very good game.

My PS4 copy is finally arriving tomorrow. I've never played these, other than a little bit of the one on 3DS that was digital only. Anything I should know, anybody I should play first or any tips?

Alfebit

Banned
New Wave is likely not something we will get outside of some special characters.

I've mentioned this before in the community thread but I would prefer the New Wave girls to get their own spin off game than to add them in with the current girls in a sequel. We already have 25 girls, anymore and it'll be hard to give any of them any focus.

Does the price of each mega bundle go up after each week or something? I saw it listed as US $29.99 elsewhere but on the PSN store it's currently $19.99, I was gonna wait to buy it but if the price is gonna go up when the next one comes out then I'll have to jump now I guess.

ShinMaruku

I've mentioned this before in the community thread but I would prefer the New Wave girls to get their own spin off game than to add them in with the current girls in a sequel. We already have 25 girls, anymore and it'll be hard to give any of them any focus.

That would be best, make the main girls go into the youma thing and the slice of life regional thing be a side game a gaiden if you will.

Nattan

Yeah I agree that's a great box :D Have fun with it and it looks like you got that cover too :p
I was anticipating the typical flimsy and wobbly box, but it turned out to be great. Nice sturdy box with some great artwork.

I forgot there was a reversible cover. Had to check and... fabulous.

Random question: anyone else's PS4 sounding like an aircraft taking off during the "visual novel" talky bits? The fan goes crazy during them and I was wondering if I have to do the ol' thermal paste replacement trick. PS4 was bought in November 2014 and I have recently cleaned all dust out from the fan so I know it's not a dirty console causing it.

Yasumi

Banned
Random question: anyone else's PS4 sounding like an aircraft taking off during the "visual novel" talky bits? The fan goes crazy during them and I was wondering if I have to do the ol' thermal paste replacement trick. PS4 was bought in November 2014 and I have recently cleaned all dust out from the fan so I know it's not a dirty console causing it.

It's the 3D backgrounds that are doing it, particularly the beach. You're not alone, it seems to be an optimization issue.

It's the 3D backgrounds that are doing it, particularly the beach. You're not alone, it seems to be an optimization issue.

That's a shame. I'll try a few other games to see if it still happens. I could probably live with it if just this game does it, but if the console sounds like a hairdryer everytime I use it then I'm cracking out the screwdrivers.

Bombless

Same issue for me and I have the newer, quieter ps4. It's just a game issue, not your console.

Also, I made this yesterday.

Edit : The first thing I did was check if it had a reversible cover. And what a cover it is.

Pejo

Is there a way to make an accessory show up *only* post transformation? I like making Miyabi turn into a pirate, but I don't want her to have a pirate hat pre-transform when she's wearing the kimono.

I have been trying to look for a way to do this for a while.

Bombless

Is there a way to make an accessory show up *only* post transformation? I like making Miyabi turn into a pirate, but I don't want her to have a pirate hat pre-transform when she's wearing the kimono.

I have been trying to look for a way to do this for a while.

Yes. Select that particular accessory and press Triangle. You'll be able to custom a lot of variables on it, including when it shows up. Discovered that last night myself lol

I had the same problem with pirate Daidouji pre-transform. She would keep the pirate hat post transformation.

Pejo

Yes. Select that particular accessory and press Triangle. You'll be able to custom a lot of variables on it, including when it shows up. Discovered that last night myself lol

I had the same problem with pirate Daidouji pre-transform. She would keep the pirate hat post transformation.

Thanks so much! I could have sworn I pressed every button in every part of the menu, but I'm sure I must have missed that.

Top Bottom