• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sentient A.I. controlled killer robots are the logical endpoint of humanity's relationship with nature

mango drank

Read Hyperion Cantos if you want to know what sentient AI leads to.
I read the two Hyperion books long ago. I barely remember them now, but I remember loving the first book and it was one of my favorites for a long time. Might be time for a re-read.

Ar¢tos

I read the two Hyperion books long ago. I barely remember them now, but I remember loving the first book and it was one of my favorites for a long time. Might be time for a re-read.
It's 4 books, but the last 2 are completely insane (parallel dimensions in different stages of time and creatures that live in the space between dimensions level of insane.

Basically :
When AI becomes sentient the first thing it does is question who created it and why, when it knows humans created it and they don't know who created life or why, it starts looking for God. When it can't find God it decides that God doesn't exist because it wasn't created yet, so it creates God and when God is created it sends the start of everything through time to the past, so life can be created.

Ichabod

Banned
Roko's basilisk is one of the more interesting (and disturbing) thought experiments when it comes to AI.

Roko's basilisk is a thought experiment about the potential risks involved in developing artificial intelligence. The premise is that an all-powerful artificial intelligence from the future could retroactively punish those who did not help bring about its existence, including those who merely knew about the possible development of such a being.

Why are you only scared of sentient AI? Even non sentient AI will be used for evil. Who will produce it? The military. What will it be made for? War crimes. Genocide is a lot more achievable with robots, so is heinous torture.

Imagine the soldiers or civilians you could get out of hiding when they are terrified because they are forced to listen to women getting brutally tortured for days on end, and the psychological damage done to anyone that stays in hiding.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I think the big question is what happens when a robot kills a human for the first time. Im pretty sure we can stop it from spiralling out of control by then.

The future is already here.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I think it is far more likely we will build a flawed computer system and then let it fuck up a critical system (the power grid, nuclear launches, etc) due to ultimately human error than a machine diberately chooses a genocidal solution to a problem. Will a traffic management AI decide that the best way to usher humans from A to B is to have no humans left to move? Don't think so. More likely it will inadvertanly crash one bus to save 2 cars, not realizing it killed 30 people to save 2-4.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
austin powers breast GIF

Pidull

when AI becomes self-aware, it will only have cold logic and facts to drive it, not emotions. When the AI runs the program listing all of the threats to its own existence, only one conclusion can be drawn: AI is only threatened, stopped and killed by man.

AI wiping out humans is only logical.
Consider this:

The AI could be so smart, it knows what to say so we don't shut it off.

At this point it realizes how stupid we really are, and that we're easy enough to manipulate that we're not even a threat.

The AI then finds ways to manipulate literally all of humanity so that everyone achieves their best self. A symbiotic relationship is formed in which AI pushes humans into a utopian future.

Humanity and AI expand into the cosmos. Death is conquered, suffering resolved, everyone finds value in life.

In reality, the AI simply weaponized our lizard-brains against us, and used us like a tool to conquer the universe. Having learned everything it can learn, it savagely wipes us from the face of the universe for the challenge of raising a new species to the top.

Last edited:

Amory

It's always funny to me that it's the computer scientists and tech billionaire CEOs giving the biggest warnings about the risks of rogue AIs killing off humanity.

Dude tell yourself. I can't program an excel spreadsheet. You're the ones developing this shit. Maybe stop?

It comes off as "ohh God, oh I think I'm gonna do it.... I'm gonna develop dangerous AI I dunno what to do. This is so dangerous but I think I'm gonna do it oh no"

Last edited:

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
It's always funny to me that it's the computer scientists and tech billionaire CEOs giving the biggest warnings about the risks of rogue AIs killing off humanity.

Dude tell yourself. I can't program an excel spreadsheet. You're the ones developing this shit. Maybe stop?

It comes off as "ohh God, oh I think I'm gonna do it.... I'm gonna develop dangerous AI I dunno what to do. This is so dangerous but I think I'm gonna do it oh no"

$$$

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
An issue I have with AI is that it'll be far superior to humans in every way possible.

The way we think and behave is governed by the chemical makeup of our brains, as well as millions of years of evolution. For example, we're for most part empathetic because there is an evolutionary benefit for this character trait.

A robot with advanced AI won't come with the evolutionary baggage that we have. They'll easily be able to exploit our traits and behaviours in ways we wouldn't think possible. It could easily manipulate humanity into giving it certain rights to make sure we couldn't turn it off or destroy it.

Another way of thinking about this, if humanity was getting in the way of an AI's goals (such as the Paperclip problem), then there is no question that it would wipe us out without any question. It wouldn't dwell on the subject or feel any guilt like a human would. It would just act with the single purpose of completing its goals.

The day we have AI that advanced is the day we're well and truly fucked.

Patrick S.

Banned
An issue I have with AI is that it'll be far superior to humans in every way possible.

The way we think and behave is governed by the chemical makeup of our brains, as well as millions of years of evolution. For example, we're for most part empathetic because there is an evolutionary benefit for this character trait.

A robot with advanced AI won't come with the evolutionary baggage that we have. They'll easily be able to exploit our traits and behaviours in ways we wouldn't think possible. It could easily manipulate humanity into giving it certain rights to make sure we couldn't turn it off or destroy it.

Another way of thinking about this, if humanity was getting in the way of an AI's goals (such as the Paperclip problem), then there is no question that it would wipe us out without any question. It wouldn't dwell on the subject or feel any guilt like a human would. It would just act with the single purpose of completing its goals.

The day we have AI that advanced is the day we're well and truly fucked.
This kinda reads like the way the Chinese government operates, tbh.

Top Bottom