• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Separable Subsurface Scattering - Amazing realtime skin rendering demo

-SD-

Banned
http://www.iryoku.com/separable-sss/downloads/Separable-SSS-DX10-v1.0.exe

The demo runs really smoothly on my GTX 570. Really an amazing thing to look at O_O

You can get to the settings by pressing space.

Here's the original post (with source code): http://www.iryoku.com/separable-sss-released

...and a video: http://vimeo.com/36048029

separable-sss-dx10-v1zij6w.png

This looks amazing. I would really like to have a glimpse into say an AAA+ 2020 title. Just one screenshot... my mind would probably recognize it as a photo.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I wonder if the same kind of uninformed responses from the Leo demo thread will show up here :p

I will try it later. It certainly looks nice.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I can't wait until character creation utilities give me the full range of beard I need to render myself in 3D.

Eyelid looks like

f6QfA.jpg

Homers mouth. Can't unsee :( Otherwise though very impressive can't wait untill this kind of tech is the standard :D

I wonder if the same kind of uninformed responses from the Leo demo thread will show up here :p

Actually, I honestly think that Kameo was doing this in real time in 2006. I dunno about on a technical level, but I've seen these effects faked, so I'm not impressed.

Oh and the art direction wasn't anything special either. They should've rendered alien skin to make it more exciting. The DOF wasn't impressive and the head looked really low poly.

Did I cover all bases?

Anyway, that was really impressive. It's hard to imagine that we will get to a point where that kind rendering is possible in real-time, in-game.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Just now noticing the lack of eyelashes. That's probably why they look odd. But that's no surprising considering how the skin is the focus of this technical video.

AColdDay

I can deal with crappy skin textures, just focus on giving me good hair!

Do you hear me lurking devs and programmers? Work on the hair first, what we have right now is a goddamn embarrassment.

Note to the guy who posts that Alice gif, that was one fucking game and also was a technical trick rather than a real advance in hair technology.

GABDEG

Unlike the Ati Demo everyone can appreciate why this demo is amazing.

It also runs at 70 fps on my old ass GTX 275. :O

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

It also runs at 70 fps on my old ass GTX 275. :O

Anyone without a sense for what's good I suppose. This is nice but obviously less intensive and impressive just because lighting can be very expensive.

I have a 6970 so I expect to run this at least as well as murphy up a few posts.

The AMD demo was made to show realtime lighting techniques that can be used now. People complained about art, textures and polygons.

This demo is made to show a skin rendering technique and skin is all you can see here. No animations, no hair, no eyes. I guess it gets the point of the demo across better.

Anyone without a sense for what's good I suppose. This is nice but obviously less intensive and impressive just because lighting can be very expensive.

I have a 6970 so I expect to run this at least as well as murphy up a few posts.

Same card so yeah, it will :p

*edit* Oh wait, mines a 6870, it'll probably go towards 200fps lol

Imagine something like LA Noire with that on a next-next-gen system or PC, with proper body movement & texturework that could look unbelievable.

schuey7

Just tried it on my ancient 8800gts 320mb and ran at 20+ fps which was smooth enough to really appreciate the tech.Next gen cutscenes will be jawdropping to say the least .

bengraven

Next gen, everyone will have pockmarks to show off that technology.

Much like how most of the launch titles this gen are over-shiny.

Deadstar

Question: If this model were in a shooter game, or any other game where you kill stuff, would you feel strange putting a bullet into that head?

Top Bottom