• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September 2014 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes October 14th

Welfare

Well, this is going to go well.

Pachter's estimates from this morning:

PS4 = 250K
Wii U = 85K
XB1 = 325K

Unless I'm reading this wrong...

WHAT

So what, Xbox did like 200k in that one week, and the majority of the PS4 sales took place in the final 3 weeks? Even then, this doesn't make sense.

PATCHER!

Xando

Its my first prediction so i'll probably be way off but:

[PS4] 465K
[XB1] 330K
[3DS] 85K
[WIU] 80K
[360] 60K
[PS3] 42K

Blanquito

PS4 = 250K
Wii U = 85K
XB1 = 325K

An even newer challenger appears!

Either he's going to look incredibly smart, or incredibly dumb. Time will tell.

Xando

PS4 = 250K
Wii U = 85K
XB1 = 325K

Didn't Sony said they had the largest sales since christmas when Destiny launched?
Also wasn't this a 5 week month?

Don't know how he can get to those numbers but its pachter so who knows.

PS4 = 250K
Wii U = 85K
XB1 = 325K

So... he is attributing the Xbox 1 winning solely by virtue of the one week free game deal? What an odd monthly conclusion for a one week event... Could Chartzzzz beat Patcher this month?

blakep267

Sony themselves said the destiny launch was the biggest sales since Christmas.
just a correction. they said the destiny launch week was bigger than the best week in December. September weeks 2-5 could've been way lower than December 2013 weeks 2-4 etc( I don't remember how many weeks were in December)

On Demand

Banned

PS4 = 250K
Wii U = 85K
XB1 = 325K

Yeah this doesn't make any sense. 250K for PS4 seems impossible. Destiny launch and a 5 week month. I don't get how a one week promotion would put XB1 ahead for the month.

If this is anywhere near true, which I know it's not, Destiny reviews must of messed up September really bad for Sony. But like I said in my last post even with a sales drop off sales shouldn't be under 300K. That's nuts.

just a correction. they said the destiny launch week was bigger than the best week in December. September weeks 2-5 could've been way lower than December 2013 weeks 2-4 etc( I don't remember how many weeks were in December)

no they did not, it's just the biggest week in 2014

GrayDock

PS4 = 250K
Wii U = 85K
XB1 = 325K

No way that's gonna happen.

My mistakes aren't well paid though.

[PS4] 420K
[XB1] 270K
[3DS] 100K
[WIU] 70K
[360] 55K
[PS3] 50K

RexNovis

Banned

PS4 = 250K
Wii U = 85K
XB1 = 325K

Hahahahaha!!!! What the hell is he thinking?!? Seriously? Come on man I thought you were getting paid for market research/insight doesn't that imply a slight grasp on reality? Like the sort grasp that would indicate a one week promotion might not be enough to offset a highly anticipated bundle release let alone a 5th tracked week of sales making your numbers look like a logical fallacy.

Pachter if the XB1 gets trounced this month you have officially lost any and all credibility when it comes to market analysis. What a joke.

PS4 = 250K
Wii U = 85K
XB1 = 325K

So yeah, I'm not really convinced Pachter puts much thought into his predictions. Like while I don't think that outcome is at all possible, it's really his reasoning that just seems silly. I mean the Destiny effect and the bundle effect for PS4 is going to be all of 13k? Sure ok whereas a one week buy a XB1 get a free game promo is going to add 120k [24k a week]?

Ty4on

PS4 = 250K
Wii U = 85K
XB1 = 325K

I predict the same number for the PS4. The black PS4...

I was about to lower my XB1 prediction and managed to forgot about the free game promotion so I'll have to rethink my rethought XB1 numbers.

Edit:
Sony themselves said the destiny launch was the biggest sales since Christmas.

Biggest week. Dec was 860k, but with the supply constraints sales one week could be anything. The average week would only be 170k though...

Tubie

PS4 = 250K
Wii U = 85K
XB1 = 325K

I bet Pachter did this on purpose to see the reaction on GAF. He's probably reading this thread too and loving it.

Otherwise it makes no sense. Even if the XB1 outsold the PS4, there's no way the PS4 only sold 250k after months of the Destiny bundle preorders on a 5 week month.

Boke1879

Again either Pachter knows something we don't

Or he's smoking that good stuff because I just don't see how those predictions can be right.

Ty4on

I bet Pachter did this on purpose to see the reaction on GAF. He's probably reading this thread too and loving it.

Otherwise it makes no sense. Even if the XB1 outsold the PS4, there's no way the PS4 only sold 250k after months of the Destiny bundle preorders on a 5 week month.

I imagine him responding to his clients post NPD: "But did you see how GAF responded?" :p

Welfare

Maybe Patcher is guessing that demand for the Standard Black PS4 fell sharply after the White bundle launched, or that during Destiny week, almost all PS4s sold were the White bundle, and THAT dropped a lot over the month.

Boke1879

I imagine him responding to his clients post NPD: "But did you see how GAF responded?" :p

While it's anecdotal. We've had people confirm in this thread that their retail chains in their region saw no drop off of the black PS4 model and that the white model did VERY VERY well.

Again anecdotal but I can believe it. I just don't see what would make the XB1 sell more than the PS4 last month

Ty4on

Maybe Patcher is guessing that demand for the Standard Black PS4 fell sharply after the White bundle launched, or that during Destiny week, almost all PS4s sold were the White bundle, and THAT dropped a lot over the month.

We haven't seen that from our sources though. It lost places on Amazon, but not much and all of the XB Live codes still ranked below it and Abdiel said this:
Comparing to last year is... Hm. There was a tremendous upswell around the new unit and Destiny as a franchise just was a clincher (even though you only save $10 on the game!). I'll honestly say it was kind of surprising how many people really were excited about the fact that the system was white, and how clean/sleek it looks in that color... even with all that, we were still selling black units too, they didn't really see much of a downswing, just the white had the star power status.

Edit: Beaten. That's a much more subtle way of saying it and I hope I didn't reveal too much.

allan-bh

Pachter probably is way off on PS4, but maybe he is right about XBox One sales.

I think the free game offer was a big thing and people here are underestimating the effect on sales.

Pachter was pretty reasonable last month, with a 175K PS4 estimate, a 150K XBO estimate, and a 65K Wii U estimate.

All of these were close to the real thing. It's weird seeing him making some crazy predictions when he has been doing decently as of late.

Akai__

Why would the One be lower in a 5 week month compared to a 4 week month?

I don't feel like one week will make such a difference. Sure, Destiny and some other games came out, but I feel like it's not been a good month for the Xbox One.

If I'm wrong, that's just how it is and I'm okay with that. It's a guessing game after all.

ChaosXVI

[PS4] 320K
[XB1] 190K
[WIU] 90K
[360] 30K
[PS3] 25K
[3DS] 45K

Total shot in the dark, first time I've ever tried to make a prediction...

I noticed Pachter didn't mention anything about the PS4 Destiny bundle. Maby he forgot?

I don't think so...he takes a lot of time discussing Destiny (as he should, considering it's the most important retail release of September 2014 by far).

I think he just genuinely believes it won't have all that much of an effect nationwide for some reason. A 250K PS4 prediction is very reasonable if you think the net effect from the bundle will be relatively negligible, or if you believe sales of the white PS4 Destiny bundles displaced typical black PS4 sales instead of attracting customers on top of the reliable sell-through base.

Tubie

I don't think so...he takes a lot of time discussing Destiny (as he should, considering it's the most important retail release of September 2014 by far).

I think he just genuinely believes it won't have all that much of an effect nationwide for some reason. A 250K PS4 prediction is very reasonable if you think the net effect from the bundle will be relatively negligible, or if you believe sales of the white PS4 Destiny bundles displaced typical black PS4 sales instead of attracting customers on top of the reliable sell-through base.

So there's a real chance Pachter didn't go insane and might be right?

I want this to happen just for the overreaction from GAF.

jakncoke

Banned
Maybe pachter is of the belief that sales will have a gta 4 effect where 360/PS3 sold even or less month over month, i cant remember exactly and didnt jump big like people expected. My only conclusion on why he'd predict like that.

Top Bottom