• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sequence |OT| Rhythm, Role-Playing, and Ronald Jenkees

Shahadan

I love it so far but i have two problems with this game.

-Challenges when learning a spell are boring and too long (but only did two so far, don't want to do more because of that x_x maybe the later ones are different)

-There is imo absolutely no "feel" when validating an arrow. I miss some sound effect or something graphic like the arrow exploding or such. Well there is a sort of light column but it feels off.
This is something that generally stains my enjoyment a bit as I have the impression that I enter my arrow key in the air and it has little effect. It's hard to explain but it is something that is essential for me (in FPSes and shooters this issue is more obvious I think)
I hate it because this is the little thing that can transform a good game into an addicting game sometimes.

Anyway, very pleased by the game, the humor, and the art ! Thanks a lot.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Valygar said:
The game crashed when trying to access the Spellset (X360 controller here), and steam already had updated. Next I tried the beta command, it didn't crash.

I have a question, the % item drop shown before the battle... what do they mean? At first I thought it was like 80% of getting the first item, 70% of getting the second item, and 59% of getting the third one. I've only did three battles so far but in two of them only 1 item dropped, and in the other one it dropped nothing.

That is exactly what it means

for example:

50 - 40 - 30

You will get the 1st item 50 percent chance, 40 for 2nd item, 30 for 3rd item.

This doesn't limit you to 1 item either though, on a good go I will get all 3, on a shitty one I will get zilch.

The
first boss
has their tier 3 item as a 100 percent drop, but my first time facing them that is ALL I got, but my 2nd time (rushing through on glitch hunt) I got all 3 items.

Hopefully that explains it for you :)

Edit:
Hamster0 said:
It actually not working for me

Make sure NO folders/etc. are open when you use it. It won't work if it has one already open, it needs to do a fresh open of a folder (I extensively tested this for about 30 minutes trying to help source the glitch)

Darktalon

Here is some more information on the game crashing immediatly after the logo, this is from the event viewer.

Application: sequence.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.InvalidOperationException
Stack:
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Media.MediaQueue.Play(Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Media.Song)
at Sequence.Game1.startModeInitialize()
at Sequence.Game1.logoModeUpdate(Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GameTime)
at Sequence.Game1.Update(Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GameTime)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Tick()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.HostIdle(System.Object, System.EventArgs)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GameHost.OnIdle()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.RunOneFrame()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.ApplicationIdle(System.Object, System.EventArgs)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application+ThreadContext.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponent.FDoIdle(Int32)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application+ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr, Int32, Int32)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application+ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32, System.Windows.Forms.ApplicationContext)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application+ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32, System.Windows.Forms.ApplicationContext)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(System.Windows.Forms.Form)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.Run()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.RunGame(Boolean)
at Sequence.Program.Main(System.String[])

Faulting application name: sequence.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4ea0c1f2
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.17651, time stamp: 0x4e211319
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x0000b9bc
Faulting process id: 0x1468
Faulting application start time: 0x01cc8fce9c20ee62
Faulting application path: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\sequence\sequence.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\syswow64\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: e2385a09-fbc1-11e0-928e-001fd08198e4

Fault bucket 2471478622, type 5
Event Name: CLR20r3
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: sequence.exe
P2: 1.0.0.0
P3: 4ea0c1f2
P4: Microsoft.Xna.Framework
P5: 4.0.0.0
P6: 4c72cc22
P7: 504
P8: 51
P9: System.InvalidOperationException
P10:

Attached files:
C:\users\Mongoose\AppData\Local\Temp\WEREA7.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

These files may be available here:
C:\Users\Mongoose\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_sequence.exe_e5b5dcde5fe7e94965913a405b881772b657cc_1acb2929

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: e2385a09-fbc1-11e0-928e-001fd08198e4
Report Status: 0

aj_hix36 said:
Here is some more information on the game crashing immediatly after the logo

Same here

qjHpQl.png

lsslave said:
I am completely unable to recreate your crash, changing offensive item and/or spellset you say? (Are you playing the beta or the most recent normal client? If normal client than he has already fixed this, and I just rushed (at lvl 2) to the 2nd floor without any equipment for nothing (aside from challenge, a low-level no-gear run might just be some sick challenge for replays)
It's the Steam version, so I'd say the last normal one.
Opening the spellset menu causes an istant crash. The gear menu doesn't crash the game - changing objects, however, does.

Feep

Banned
Dyni Crippler said:
It's the Steam version, so I'd say the last normal one.
Opening the spellset menu causes an istant crash. The gear menu doesn't crash the game - changing objects, however, does.
Yeah, we're on this. The beta version already has this fixed, I might add.

So it's not just the "Siren Scroll" I guess, I just got the "Soothing Scroll" and I can't learn that either, the game crashes. Not sure if its just all scrolls now, but I could learn them just fine before floor 3.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Quite a few pages appeared when I was away, so I'll just ask this - what's the easiest way to make the game stop crashing after pressing "1"? Rebinding the keys?

Feep

Banned
You guys either need to apply the beta patch (see page 8) or just wait...I'll say...four more hours at this point till the Valve guys apply the fix.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Feep said:
You guys either need to apply the beta patch (see page 8) or just wait...I'll say...four more hours at this point till the Valve guys apply the fix.
Four hours doesn't seem that but, guess I'll do something else until then.

But I've got to say, from what I've played so far, the writing and the vo are both great.
One think I don't really understand, maybe I got it wrong - if you have 2 arrows, let's say up and down to press at the same time and you're playing on keyboard, do you have to press one on the normal binding and the other on the alternate one? Like s + ^? Or is w + s also ok?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Feep said:
w+s is also okay.
Thanks. I thought it said that you have to use both in the tutorial and each time I tried w+s (or a+d? not sure) it didn't work. Guess it was just bad luck.

Game now crashes when I attempt to go to my spellset in the 4th safe room. The story is getting heated, I wanna keep playing, but I also want to equip my 4th spell :eek:

Feep

Banned
EchosMyron1 said:
Game now crashes when I attempt to go to my spellset in the 4th safe room. The story is getting heated, I wanna keep playing, but I also want to equip my 4th spell :eek:
Are you beta'ing?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Boo, the window crashes after alt-tabbing, didn't know that.
Ok, changing the key binds didn't help and the game still crashes after selecting spell 1 in the tutorial - guess I'll wait for the patch after all.

Nabs

paperboywriter said:
crashes when i sellect spellset after the tutorial. seems like it does this every time. any suggestions?
Either wait for the upcoming patch (soonish), or grab the beta patch (page 8).

MrBig

Received my code last night and have played up through the tutorials. The window keeps flashing as if it's about to minimize every 10 seconds or so, and another program opens up on the taskbar, and then the game comes back. Fixed in the patch?

MrBig said:
Received my code last night and have played up through the tutorials. The window keeps flashing as if it's about to minimize every 10 seconds or so, and another program opens up on the taskbar, and then the game comes back. Fixed in the patch?
Happened to me too.

Feep

Banned
MrBig said:
I am trying desperately right now to fix this. It appears to be some kind of deep-rooted issue within XNA. The biggest problem is that essentially none of the XNA guys are awake to help out at the moment.

Temporary work-arounds: go fullscreen, or do not lose focus on the window until you're done playing. = (

gblues

Banned
I guess doing all this testing gives a new meaning to the term "Sequence-breaking". :)

I'm leaving for work, but I'm happy to help you test. PM me when you've got a new build and I'll test it out.

Quick issues:

- There's a bug that makes the screen go blank for a few seconds (annoying)
- Is there any way to change resolution? It is not scaling fullscreen for me (1080p monitor).

That being said, I really enjoy the game. I'll be donating at least the Steam price of the game, if not more.

MrBig

Feep said:
I am trying desperately right now to fix this. It appears to be some kind of deep-rooted issue within XNA. The biggest problem is that essentially none of the XNA guys are awake to help out at the moment.

Temporary work-arounds: go fullscreen, or do not lose focus on the window until you're done playing. = (
Full screen works great. Enjoying the game and art so far :)

Really enjoying the game. Nice work!

I've only completed the tutorials at this point so I don't have much else to say about the game but it definitely needs a 1080P option and I have to agree with Shahadan's comments about the arrow confirmations. It feels like I'm not doing anything...

TheExodu5

Banned
ROBOKITTYZILLA said:
Really enjoying the game. Nice work!

I've only completed the tutorials at this point so I don't have much else to say about the game but it definitely needs a 1080P option and I have to agree with Shahadan's comments about the arrow confirmations. It feels like I'm not doing anything...

It's weird. This was my problem with the game on XBLIG, but I find it's perfect this time around.

I have to assume it's an audio or video lag issue, that's causing a disconnect in between the arrow feedback and the sound. I'm using the Astro Mixamp which has pretty much no audio lag, which would account for a good difference since my TV has around 50ms of audio lag.

Has the patch gone live? Im also stuck on the Spellcasting menu crashing. Its SUCH an awesome game that im so glad its not just my pc that cant handle it.

Thanks a bunch Feep, even with the bug this game rocks!

Feep

Banned
bobs99 ... said:
Has the patch gone live? Im also stuck on the Spellcasting menu crashing. Its SUCH an awesome game that im so glad its not just my pc that cant handle it.

Thanks a bunch Feep, even with the bug this game rocks!
It's uploaded...just waiting...

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Feep, I take it that all of the beat patterns were matched to the rhythm manually? Cause the ability to upload your own music would make this game even more kick-ass.

Jintor

Fantastic job Feep, I must say. I played up to the first boss before I had to go out but I could already feel the damn thing growing on me.

Not actually sure if I want to play with the controller or not, it was working alright on keyboard

Feep

Banned
Yeah.

This was discussed earlier in the thread...the music, in large part, actually determines the difficulty of the battle. How quick the song's beat is, how long it lasts...if these can be manipulated, so can the difficulty of the game. = ( It's a tough call, but I had to disallow it.

Top Bottom