• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sequence |OT| Rhythm, Role-Playing, and Ronald Jenkees

Feep

Banned
PBalfredo said:
Thanks for the free game! I've put an hour and a half into it and I've been enjoying it. The first and third boss fights are pretty funny.

However, I'm having a problem where the game crashes when I try to learn a new spell. I select the spell I want to learn, it deducts my XP, then crashes right before the song begins. I'm playing windowed mode and with a 360 controller, on Windows 7.
You'll want to grab the beta. This fixes that. (Most people were going to the Spell screen first, but the same error exists on the Learn Spells screen as well.)

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Feep said:
I have a present for everyone.

Apparently, someone works very, very late at Valve. Now, I wasn't about to just publish new changes without doing more testing...I've learned my lesson. Plus, it's nighttime, so not much more damage is being done.

However, I managed to squeak out a beta build. (Please don't put this on the Steam forums.) If you'd like to try out the EXTREMELY HASTILY MADE patch, do this:

Who wants to be in the midnight beta brigade? = D

Not sure how to do it, but I'll give you a beta run. Anything in particular you want me to test out?

Feep

Banned
lsslave said:
Not sure how to do it, but I'll give you a beta run. Anything in particular you want me to test out?
Nothing in particular. I know I need to fix the "twitchy" window bug, but that's the only remaining critical error. Just run through the game and see if you find anything. = D

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Feep said:
Nothing in particular. I know I need to fix the "twitchy" window bug, but that's the only remaining critical error. Just run through the game and see if you find anything. = D

You got it, now if only I knew how to run a beta how you explained it >.>

Feep

Banned
lsslave said:
You got it, now if only I knew how to run a beta how you explained it >.>
You need to use the command prompt. Hit the Windows key, type "cmd" (no quotes), and hit enter. You navigate to the steam directory via your directory structure...

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Feep said:
You need to use the command prompt. Hit the Windows key, type "cmd" (no quotes), and hit enter. You navigate to the steam directory via your directory structure...

Good stuff, beta testing now

Edit: It happens on dead screen. When I am actually playing I am getting no flicker but between text boxes or when I am not playing I don't get it.

So far haven't seen one flicker during actual interaction with the game though (only ripped past the intro/tutorial so far)

Edit 2: Leaving the window to type that (during a battle-complete screen) and returning the screen goes white and stops responding.

Is tehre any way to make arrows come down faster?

I'm used to playing those crazy bemani games and I'm used to like 7x speed. I couldn't even pass the first tutorial because I was hitting those arrows way too early. I get panic attacks when an arrow hits the line and i reflexively hit it much like in those games....

Feep

Banned
narcosis219 said:

I'm used to playing those crazy bemani games and I'm used to like 7x speed. I couldn't even pass the first tutorial because I was hitting those arrows way too early. I get panic attacks when an arrow hits the line and i reflexively hit it much like in those games....
Drugs.

Mr_Zombie

Played the game yesterday for about an hour (no crashes here). It's fun (I love those dialouges :D); however, maybe I'm deaf, but I don't see how is the music (which is fantastic BTW ;)) connected to arrows you have to push >_>

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Feep said:
600107_oh_you_super_The_green_lantern-s450x338-191724-580.jpg

Jintor

Mr_Zombie said:
Played the game yesterday for about an hour (no crashes here). It's fun (I love dialouges); however, maybe I'm deaf, but I don't see how is the music connected to arrows you have to push >_>

It's a lot clearer with the mana stuff since that seems to be synced properly to each song. Spells have their own little music patterns that only really seem to vary depending on the BPM, while the incoming damage stuff is also synced but is far less frequent.

Darktalon

I downloaded the beta patch, and my game still crashes after the logo screen. I have reinstalled it, validated it, and even ran the .net and xna installers and selected repair. Nothing I do fixes it.

I launch it from steam, the game pops up in a window, the logo appears, it disappears looking like its about to go to a menu, and the game crashes.

Feep

Banned
aj_hix36 said:
I downloaded the beta patch, and my game still crashes after the logo screen. I have reinstalled it, validated it, and even ran the .net and xna installers and selected repair. Nothing I do fixes it.

I launch it from steam, the game pops up in a window, the logo appears, it disappears looking like its about to go to a menu, and the game crashes.
This is an error I've seen from about four people now. It's very limited, and it's next on my priority list after the twitchy game window thing.

You're the first person it appears to have happened to on GAF, so I might, uh, use you for some beta testing tomorrow. >.>

lsslave

Jew Gamer
narcosis219 said:

The tutorials are slow, and (correct me if I am wrong Feep) don't seem to be based on your difficulty. Once you get to the real battles the game gets harder and on the hardest difficulty I have to work pretty hard

Not that I don't believe you Feep that the changes are coming (I do! I see the stuff you've been doing and I appreciate it, as does everyone else!), I'm gonna wait another day or two just to be on the safe side.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Professor Beef said:
Not that I don't believe you Feep that the changes are coming (I do! I see the stuff you've been doing and I appreciate it, as does everyone else!), I'm gonna wait another day or two just to be on the safe side.

Taking part in it you could help navigate these errors out :p

Hamster0

Got the beta, and just got passed the "hitting 1" bug

edit: i am playing in windowed mode, seems when i click out of the game and back in, the game freezes on me

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Hamster0 said:
Got the beta, and just got passed the "hitting 1" bug

edit: i am playing in windowed mode, seems when i click out of the game and back in, the game freezes on me

Haha I am totally talking to him about this! I have found a "temporary" fix! On your taskbar, make sure no windows are open for folders, and click your documents icon on the taskbar!

Watch as the screen turns colourful again and the game can be played more! (Also, crash happens with a click or keyboard, if you use a gamepad the game won't crash but the screen will not respond, you can hear sound effects and the like)

Sophia

Question. Is there any way to make it so the mouse clicks goes to whatever it's highlighted over? Like if you're highlighted over Spell Field, have it go to that one, instead of having Left click go left, and right click go right?

Also, I've had the game stop responding a few times on the Battle Complete, but I can't seem to replicate the effect. Docuement fix worked tho. (Maybe it's exclusive to Windows 7?)

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Marrshu said:
Question. Is there any way to make it so the mouse clicks goes to whatever it's highlighted over? Like if you're highlighted over Spell Field, have it go to that one, instead of having Left click go left, and right click go right?

Also, I've had the game stop responding a few times on the Battle Complete, but I can't seem to replicate the effect. Docuement fix worked tho. (Maybe it's exclusive to Windows 7?)

Been creating this bug pretty successfully for him, I've done it over 10 times now and have a "quick fix" for the time being (see post above yours)

As for the go left-go right with the clicks, 1st off you should use Q and E man, I do the entire battles keyboard only, 2nd off SHHH for now, he got Windowed mode (while doing a .net bug fix) today and is now up all night trying to fix the errors that came with rushing that bit out! hahaha

Edit: FWIW the out-of-window crash I am about 99 percent on the cause of it and have notified Feep of this guys.

Sophia

lsslave said:
Been creating this bug pretty successfully for him, I've done it over 10 times now and have a "quick fix" for the time being (see post above yours)

As for the go left-go right with the clicks, 1st off you should use Q and E man, I do the entire battles keyboard only, 2nd off SHHH for now, he got Windowed mode (while doing a .net bug fix) today and is now up all night trying to fix the errors that came with rushing that bit out! hahaha

I'm too used to mouseoverhealing in World of Warcraft. =P

And yeah, I saw the fix above it (and edited my post)

IceMarker

Feep has the corporate gaming industry not taught you that having a beta before release is good?
lol
I look forward to the next patch

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Marrshu said:
I'm too used to mouseoverhealing in World of Warcraft. =P

And yeah, I saw the fix above it (and edited my post)

Haha yeah, I really want to use my mouse for this game at first, but it wasn't there and I adapted pretty quickly.

(And I noticed your comment after I posted mine, but it would seem a silly post to just leave it empty, so I just decided "I'll look silly either way" and left it :)

lsslave said:
The tutorials are slow, and (correct me if I am wrong Feep) don't seem to be based on your difficulty. Once you get to the real battles the game gets harder and on the hardest difficulty I have to work pretty hard

I'm playing on hard and it's still the same speed. It is a lot denser, as expected.

I still can't hit the arrows properly =(. It's a lot harder to "see" the rhythm and patterns at this slow a speed. I guess I'll have to go through growing pains.

I completely understand the slowness though. Without it, you wouldn't be able to see the other panes fast enough to react.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
narcosis219 said:
I'm playing on hard and it's still the same speed. It is a lot denser, as expected.

I still can't hit the arrows properly =(. It's a lot harder to "see" the rhythm and patterns at this slow a speed. I guess I'll have to go through growing pains.

I completely understand the slowness though. Without it, you wouldn't be able to see the other panes fast enough to react.

Wait until you go up floors man, trust me.

The game gets pretty hard.

And don't use Barrier (I didn't think it did anything before I erased my save to start finding the glitches), you'll be so busy defending that you'll be jumping between windows so fast it will be just like playing super fast trust me on that :p

Sophia

narcosis219 said:

I'm having difficulty with this as well. My mind simply can't adjust to the controls either. I may have to bust out the gamepad.

Sophia

Aye, Floor 1 was rather lame, but Floor 2 is pretty challenging so far. When the concept works, it's pretty fucking awesome and ingenious

AwShucks

Just wanted to double/triple/whatever confirm that for me at least the Press 1 on Tutorial 3 no longer crashes when doing the beta launch.

Time to get some gameplay on before I go to sleep.

Feep

Banned
Good news:

1) The twitch and the "leave and come back" crashes are the same bug.
2) I know the exact line that's causing it.

Bad news:
1) My internet is down, despite arround 99.5% uptime. Wow.
2) Getting fellow devs to help is gonna be hard over the freaking phone.

Don't know if it has been already posted, but...
Second floor. Opening the spellset or changing objects (offensive one, at least) crashes the game.
The game is really fun, but I think I'll change the difficulty to Hard. Medium is too easy.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Feep said:
Good news:

1) The twitch and the "leave and come back" crashes are the same bug.
2) I know the exact line that's causing it.

Bad news:
1) My internet is down, despite arround 99.5% uptime. Wow.
2) Getting fellow devs to help is gonna be hard over the freaking phone.

1) I knew it would be
2) So murder this line, stab it in the fucking eye, mutilate it! Legit, make it suffer so I can get back to actually playing the game now! (Grats man, now that you have it working I am gonna watch some "Home Movies" and get trashed on rum until my tooth stops bugging me! Was fun trying to find bugs for you)

Edit:

Dyni Crippler said:
Don't know if it has been already posted, but...
Second floor. Opening the spellset or changing objects (offensive one, at least) crashes the game.
The game is really fun, but I think I'll change the difficulty to Hard. Medium is too easy.

Really? I'ma rush to the 2nd floor right now and try this

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Dyni Crippler said:
I also tried to return to the first floor, and it still crashes. Let me know if it happens to you too.

I am completely unable to recreate your crash, changing offensive item and/or spellset you say? (Are you playing the beta or the most recent normal client? If normal client than he has already fixed this, and I just rushed (at lvl 2) to the 2nd floor without any equipment for nothing (aside from challenge, a low-level no-gear run might just be some sick challenge for replays)

Hamster0

damn, trying to read the forums and play the game at the same time.. and i keep forgetting the game crashes when i do that, lol.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Hamster0 said:
damn, trying to read the forums and play the game at the same time.. and i keep forgetting the game crashes when i do that, lol.

Just don't forget the document trick, that'll get you by until the patch goes live :)

Loving the game, game crashes whenever I try to learn "Siren Scroll" for some reason. Tried to do it about 4 times now and it's crashed every time. Doesn't really bother me since, I'm not entirely sure what that scroll does by the description. Thought it was worth mentioning, though.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
EchosMyron1 said:
Loving the game, game crashes whenever I try to learn "Siren Scroll" for some reason. Tried to do it about 4 times now and it's crashed every time. Doesn't really bother me since, I'm not entirely sure what that scroll does by the description. Thought it was worth mentioning, though.

Before I rush this one, are you using beta client or just running normally?

Valygar

The game crashed when trying to access the Spellset (X360 controller here), and steam already had updated. Next I tried the beta command, it didn't crash.

I have a question, the % item drop shown before the battle... what do they mean? At first I thought it was like 80% of getting the first item, 70% of getting the second item, and 59% of getting the third one. I've only did three battles so far but in two of them only 1 item dropped, and in the other one it dropped nothing.

Top Bottom