• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Serious question, do you think Apple copied Nintendo?

FStubbs

Nintendo definitely copied the Apple aesthetic with the DS lite and the Wii.

The original DS was a big bulky unit and the Gamecube was a lunchbox.

Last edited:

demigod

I think Apple was always gunning for a touchscreen type computer, given their track records. As soon as the tech caught up, big surprise, it was a major success.
Apple has had a touchscreen computer since at least 1995 when i was in junior high. Our science class had it and the teacher would let the kids touch it for lectures.

PhaseJump

Banned
I am talking about the use of a touch screen on a modern home device. I believe nintendo made the ds before the first ever smartphone, known as the iphone. I understand before that touch screens existed, but they were never really used in such a way, think slot machines etc. I never hear anyone really bring that up, discuss.

PDAs like the Apple Newton, Palm devices, and PocketPCs existed. Wacom tablets and the pen stylus existed.

tumblr_omsivb3Xkk1uji5dbo8_400.gifv

You young punks realize I know we had touch screens a long time ago, its Nintendo that poppularized on a home device. Nintendo DS -154 Million Units Sold

lFknV3U.jpg

TLZ

Banned
Nintendo DS - November 21, 2004

iphone - June 29, 2007

What a coincidence two modern home devices that use touch screens, after years of no such thing
Why are you specifically picking Apple like nothing existed before it or Nintendo? Neither them no Nintendo were the first. In fact, Nintendo is never the first in anything. They use old tech and sell them cheap for a reason.

I remember having a PDA way before that. Like mid to late 90s I think. I'm not sure from which company. It was so cool back then.

WitchHunter

Banned
I am talking about the use of a touch screen on a modern home device. I believe nintendo made the ds before the first ever smartphone, known as the iphone. I understand before that touch screens existed, but they were never really used in such a way, think slot machines etc. I never hear anyone really bring that up, discuss.
Blip

niche devices that barely sold are somewhat irrelevant

ds came out 3 years b4 i phone

ds sold an astronomical amount - (160 million)

lets connect the dots, it doesnt take high level thinking

Just like the dpad

Just like the rumble pack

Just like joysticks

they all existed but it took nintendos application to make it standard and mainstream

John Wick

So here's a question did Nintendo invent touch screen?
No. End of.
Other devices existed well before Nintendo did it.
This has to be one of the silliest questions ever.
Edit
Actually OP everything cool in gaming was invented by Nintendo. You happy?

Last edited:
Sony invented OLED, samsung and lg are better known for OLED, it happens all the time where one company innovates the other takes all the glory.

TLZ

Banned

That's not how it works. Your question was who copied who. Clearly Nintendo copied an existing tech that became old and cheap enough for them to do something with.

What they actually did with the tech is cool.

Banned

uhm... there were touch based smart devices literally decades before the iPhone came out

Sony invented OLED, samsung and lg are better known for OLED, it happens all the time where one company innovates the other takes all the glory.

and also no, Sony did not invent OLED... that was invented by a few british students and the first OLED device made was made by Kodak in the 80s I think

edit: the first bigger screens were apparently made by Pioneer, but I was right, Kodak was the first to make smaller OLED tech.
edit: nope Kodak also made the first bigger screens...

Last edited:

Trimesh

Banned
My guess is that Apple had been thinking about this for some time, but concluded they didn't want to use a resistive touch panel (easy to damage, hard to operate with just your fingers, incapable of handling more than dual touch) - so the thing that triggered the development of what became the iPhone was Cypress's announcement of a single-chip low power projected capacitance touch controller (incidentally, that's also probably the real reason that the iPhone had a 3.2" screen - that was the maximum size you could address using a single chip).

Bryank75

Banned
Jobs went to Japan and got a Walkman, which we all know was made by Nintendo..... he loved the clean design language and really studied it.

He always tried to apply that philosophy of simplicity, few buttons and clean looking design language and touch screen fitted that...... but the wheel interface on ipod came before the touch-screen was ready and that was quite intuitive.

But yeah....Nintendo is great, they make great TV's and they even have a bank now....they should call it Mario Bank. (People might be mean and call it Mario wank though!)

John Wick

Your spot on with your last comment. It aptly applies to you and this troll thread

You lost me when you said the iphone was the first smartphone.

The DS had a stylus on a capacitive screen, and it was worse than some of the stylus phones.

Just like the dpad

Just like the rumble pack

Just like joysticks

they all existed but it took nintendos application to make it standard and mainstream
Lol all three of those were already things, you might have an argument for standardization for only the first one though. But rumble and joysticks are a joke, joysticks were everywhere.

You young punks realize I know we had touch screens a long time ago, its Nintendo that poppularized on a home device. Nintendo DS -154 Million Units Sold

lFknV3U.jpg
Literally millions of stylus devices sold before DS. Hundreds of millions.

It's just a game system man.

lFknV3U.jpg
So wait a minute. Apple came out with the Newton before Nintendo. Yes, the Newton was a flop (and barely worked at times - I wanted to throw the one I had access to at the wall often). But because Nintendo went on to sell 154 million units of their touchscreen device, then when Apple improved upon their own original concept that means they copied Nintendo? I'm sorry, but that just doesn't make any sense...

Oh, and thanks for calling me a young punk. At 49, I don't hear that anymore. Makes me feel good. :D

Last edited:
The only company Steve Jobs admired was Sony.

“Buoyed by resentment and an almost pathological hatred of styluses, Jobs and his team got to work on creating the prototype of a working multitouch display. Said display, eventually, would go on to serve as a touchpoint for future iPhone designs.”

No he didnt copy the DS. Maybe he played with one, and hated it so much he pushed for a multitouch display.

RCU005

Apple couldn’t have copied Nintendo, because the innovation of the iPhone wasn’t the touch screen, but the capacitive touchscreen and multi-touch that wasn’t used before, even replacing the keyboard altogether.

There might have been multi-touch before the iPhone, but I believe the iPhone’s was the first one that was very precise and responding.

Nintendo did innovate with the DS having a touch screen that was used to play games like never before and allowed for casual people to jump into gaming. Which led to the idea of the Wii most likely.

NewYork214

My mom was faster with qwerty back in 2002, when I was 11. She tried typing the gameshark codes in by touching my TV screen like a dope. Maybe she invented it 🤣🤣

OP wants an excuse to gouge himself on Nintendo's ballsack that much more. Let's all agree that Apple stole the concept to make him happy.

Top Bottom