• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seriously, what is Hiroyuki Ito (FFVI, IX, XII director) doing in SE right now?

Victrix

*beard*
That said, I would love to see Ito and maybe the Gooch as a contractor come in and fix the sad state of what Final Fantasy has become. I don't understand management's angle of having him work on Mobile games when he's got that kind of history.

Mobile is as big or bigger than console in japan?

Plus:

probably shouldn't go to vegas said:
WARNING game is very fun if u have my 2 pour in2 it.I've spent well over a $1000 easy 2 make it to the top 100 & once I slowed down couldn't keep up with all the new cards coming out.Great game but unless you are rich or have the best luck in the world this probably isn't 4 you.I never liked this kind of game intil I played this & haven't been able 2 stop playing since so if u have a addictive personally might want 2 stear clear..still 5*s

That's Deadman's Cross, a review from last month. 5 stars!!!

Does he have a twitter or an email account? We should try contacting him to ask him if he's working on something at Square.

Hiroyuki Ito Final Fantasy VIII - Battle system designer

Haha
From what I have heard, he only created the Junction system, Triple Triad and Guardian Forces systems before being moved to work on IX. The draw system was done by Nakazawa. Nor would it matter much if he did, would be just a blemish on an otherwise stellar career.

Probably nothing. He's no doubt on the FFXII HD project, but outside of that? Sweet F.A, I'd imagine. Real shame since he directed the best mainline FF games. I want to see FFXII's systems evolved, dammit.

From what I have heard, he only created the Junction system, Triple Triad and Guardian Forces systems before being moved to work on IX. The draw system was done by Nakazawa. Nor would it matter much if he did, would be just a blemish on an otherwise stellar career.

Yeah, that's Wikipedia being Wikipedia. Ito didn't do much before moving on to IX, his own FF project. Even the stuff he did do with VIII were the best parts of that game anyway (Triple Triad!)

BedBison

Neo Member
I sure as hell hope he's marking FFXVI. He directed my 3 favorite FF games so him doing another one would be great.

But more likely he's just making more mobile games because SE hates us.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

FFVIII is part of a stellar career in my eyes.

Pretty sure Triple Triad was all him. He is also the creator of the Job system and ATB system. He's absolutely the best designer on the series, nobody else really comes close to him.

BumRush

OP, you forgot to mention that he invented the ATB and he created Tactics...

I PRAY he's been hard at work on a FFXVI that returns to FF's fantasy roots.

cloud279

Neo Member
This was an interview with Hashimoto - producer of FF XV and KH3, where an interviewer asked him about Hiroyuki Ito.

RPG Site: I can see Nomura-san's crew need the room back for their next interview, so I'm going to wrap up by betraying my inner fan and ask a more specific talent question - Hiroyuki Ito, the creator of ATB, the director of FF9 - my favourite, which of course you produced - and FF12... Is he still at the company - and is he working on anything that we already know about?

Hashimoto: [laughs] You're a very unique journalist, asking about Ito-san! Yeah. He's still at Square Enix. He's been planning and doing some proposals for a new project at the moment, so... Really, he's the kind of guy that wants to challenge new things all the time, so, yeah. At the moment, he's doing... [laughs] He's putting some ideas together.

Source: http://www.rpgsite.net/interview/31...-with-final-fantasy-producer-shinji-hashimoto

if you google Hiroyuki Ito FF16, there is a thread posted by a user that speculates and believes that Ito is working on FF16.

This was an interview with Hashimoto - producer of FF XV and KH3, where an interviewer asked him about Hiroyuki Ito.

RPG Site: I can see Nomura-san's crew need the room back for their next interview, so I'm going to wrap up by betraying my inner fan and ask a more specific talent question - Hiroyuki Ito, the creator of ATB, the director of FF9 - my favourite, which of course you produced - and FF12... Is he still at the company - and is he working on anything that we already know about?

Hashimoto: [laughs] You're a very unique journalist, asking about Ito-san! Yeah. He's still at Square Enix. He's been planning and doing some proposals for a new project at the moment, so... Really, he's the kind of guy that wants to challenge new things all the time, so, yeah. At the moment, he's doing... [laughs] He's putting some ideas together.

Source: http://www.rpgsite.net/interview/31...-with-final-fantasy-producer-shinji-hashimoto

if you google Hiroyuki Ito FF16, there is a thread posted by a user that speculates and believes that Ito is working on FF16.

http://www.mognetcentral.com/thread...i-director-is-secretly-working-on-ffxvi.2277/

Some of the arguments are silly, some are strong. Here's a really interesting one:

Article said:
Yoshinori Kitase told me face-to-face while he was in London for the European launch of LR FFXIII, the reason Hiroyuki Ito has not worked on the Lightning Saga, FFXIV ARR, and the forthcoming FFXV, is because he has his own development team at Square Enix and is busy leading his own project.

duckroll

Deadman's Cross might have been his big budget game. It was originally supposed to be an ambitious project, before the FF14 1.0 trainwreck. They ended up turning it into a mobile game.

Deadman's Cross is just a zombie variant of Guardian Cross. I think you're thinking of Bloodmasque instead? That's the Unreal Engine 3 game which they were recruiting for but was eventually cancelled in favor of a mobile title instead.

Ito probably didn't have much to do with either Cross games anyway. The actual credit he has on them is "planning concept" for Guardian Cross, and "battle concept" for Deadman's Cross. When you're credited with "concept" rather than the actual design or writing role, it usually means they took an idea someone had, and let someone else execute it. Like with FFXV now! (lol)

If Ito is directing XVI I'll be making a blood offering to the gods. Ths needs to happen, I can't take another mainline Toriyama or Nomura game. Though I would like to see what Tabata can come up with by himself.

But still, Ito is by far the most intriguing potential director left at SE

Walpurgis

Banned
My optimistic view would be that 16 was temporarily put on hold because progress was so amazingly fast and some people have started to help with 15 to make sure it'll launch on time.
I think XVI will be really fast since it will likely use UE4. KH3 is going blazingly fast for SE standards so we should see XVI this gen. Since Nomura has been stretched thin and Toriyama has been banned from consoles, I can't think of a better person in SE's eyes than Ito. I love FFXII so FFXVI is my most hyped SE game.

As for the FFXV engine, I think it could be used for FFXVII since they can start development on that when the FFXV engine has all of the necessary features.

In any case, Final Fantasy seems to be in a transition phase and will certainly have much faster development times in the future. Thanks Wada.

aadiboy

If you are talking about the IGN or Gamefaqs threads, that poster is known as a troll on the Gamefaqs boards. You shouldn't believe those posts because he was lying the whole time. Now, it may be likely that Ito is directing FF16, but those threads are not proof of it.

When they inevitably announce the XII remaster I do hope it gets Ito back in the limelight again. Dude deserves to see the light of day too, dammit.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member

That's just a crazy gamefaqs fan. Who has been banned numerous times. It's best to just ignore him.

I think he has gone to the point of fabricating fake rumours also from nonexistent Japanese sources and whatnot.

Mar Nosso

Banned
Didn't Microsoft skip Windows 9 and went straight to 10?

At this point in time, I wouldn't even blink if XV died a horrible death in development hell and we went straight to XVI. It has to be Ito directing. This fucking series needs to shine again as the colossus that it was, which hasn't happened since 2006.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I have zero doubts FF16 is in production. I think Square Enix just can't really announce it until FF15 actually looks like it'll come out in a reasonable amount of time.

If he's working on FF16, I'd be ecstatic.
If a FFXVI is truly in production, it's called Final Fantasy VII remake.

DMiz

FF16 needs to be old school like FF9 please i need a breather.

It doesn't even have to be old school - I feel like there were quite a few ideas in Final Fantasy IX that he was responsible for or credited with that should be continued on in FF, really.

One of the most glaring absences in the more recent titles that he put forward is the ATE. I realize that larger parties becomes more of a development nightmare in today's day and age - it costs more to voice act, mo-cap, etc., with the more party members that you have - but the way that ATE basically let you split up the party while still learning more about them was fantastic. Such a charming way to learn more about how people were doing with recent events or their environment.

Granted, he probably really is just relegated to a desk job at this point. I sometimes wonder what exactly he must have done to get himself in this situation. Kawazu, too.

Either he's:
A: working on XII HD
B: working in VI remake
C: working on Tactics 2
D: working on XVI
E: working on some combo of A-D

Or:

F: he's had a serious mental breakdown and is no longer a functional human being,

Or

G: SE has really gone off the deep end.

dramatis

Deadman's Cross is just a zombie variant of Guardian Cross. I think you're thinking of Bloodmasque instead? That's the Unreal Engine 3 game which they were recruiting for but was eventually cancelled in favor of a mobile title instead.

Ito probably didn't have much to do with either Cross games anyway. The actual credit he has on them is "planning concept" for Guardian Cross, and "battle concept" for Deadman's Cross. When you're credited with "concept" rather than the actual design or writing role, it usually means they took an idea someone had, and let someone else execute it. Like with FFXV now! (lol)
Seems like I remembered wrong then!

I stick with my theory that Ito is washing SaGa dishes in the basement!

Yoshinori Kitase told me face-to-face while he was in London for the European launch of LR FFXIII, the reason Hiroyuki Ito has not worked on the Lightning Saga, FFXIV ARR, and the forthcoming FFXV, is because he has his own development team at Square Enix and is busy leading his own project.

about_img.png

Ito + FFXVI would be a gift from the gods. Ito + FFXVI + Ivalice would be brain-breakingly good beyond puny human comprehension. (Yeah, that's not happening.)

Hudo

I am sorry to resurrect this thread from the depths of hell (Well, although I like being a necromancer in RPGs...) but I just came to the realisation that Hiroyuki Ito directed all the Final Fantasy games that I would consider to be in my top 3. FF6, FF12 and FF9. I did not know he directed FF6 (I thought it was Sakaguchi and Kitase) and FF9. Shame on me.

So, I'd like to ask the question again in a more contemporary context: What is he doing? I can't imagine him just chillin' at Square Enix' lounge all the time. Surely he must be working on something, right? The last news related to him were about the Ivalice stuff in FF14.

The Snake

Man all this talk of XVI. I guess the way that they handled XV at Gamescom really did damage the public opinion of that game. I don't know why you guys are thinking of XVI already though, it's going to be torture for you in the 8 years it takes to actually come out.

That said, I would love to see Ito and maybe the Gooch as a contractor come in and fix the sad state of what Final Fantasy has become. I don't understand management's angle of having him work on Mobile games when he's got that kind of history.

All these companies revisiting their roots, while SE tries its damndest to change and erase what made Final Fantasy popular in the first place.

Doomtrain

Come on, Square, get your house in line! If Capcom can do it, so can you! Give us an Ito-directed FFXVI with a turn-based battle system and FFIX's level of charm.

Hudo

Come on, Square, get your house in line! If Capcom can do it, so can you! Give us an Ito-directed FFXVI with a turn-based battle system and FFIX's level of charm.
Yeah! I am even willing to sacrifice the setting of Agni's Philosophy for that.

Grinchy

Banned
Here's my guess of how they handle things over there:

They lock their creative directors up in a cage and feed them water and meat scraps for years. They let a bunch of writers, programmers and executives build random lore, assets, tools and DLC plans while advertising that the game is late in development. Then, in the last 9 months of development, they let the creative director out of his cage so he can scramble to put together anything he possibly can with all the fragmented pieces. And what releases is the best possible mess that could be achieved.

Teslerum

Also he came up with triple triad and designed Tactics. Basically hes FFs unsung hero.

As for why he got shafted. He was Sakaguchis golden boy. After Sakaguchi was out, he didnt get that treatment anymore.

FF Tactics was basically Sakaguchis dream team btw.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
Lets wait until we hear who's behind FFXVI. If he's not the one behind FFXVI then either he has silently left SE or he has been permanently transferred to the mobile games devision.

Top Bottom