• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Serkantoto: DeNA and Nintendo join press conference at 5PM JST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, ANY translator is better than NO translator. 10 years ago we wouldn't have even been able to hear / know about this conference until the next day.

chrono01

Hey guys, ANY translator is better than NO translator. 10 years ago we wouldn't have even been able to hear / know about this conference until the next day.
Agreed.

We joke, but it's better than nothing. I'm thankful for it, it's a lot more difficult to live translate than it appears [from what I've read/heard].

I never said the perception was true. Just that it exists.

It only exists to the people outside of their demo. Of course I agree that changing their brand for those outside their demographic is probably a sisyphean task at best, but there are many, many adults who see Nintendo as perfectly fine for them. For instance, people in their 40s are far more likely to look at the accessible, everyone branding of Nintendo and think it's for them as opposed to the bro-branding and complexity of Xbox or Playstation.

JNA

Banned

Very true.

However :)P), the guy translator should really be doing the answers and the lady doing the questions still.

chiimisu

You understand that it's not nervousness, right? This is a joke? Japanese and English sentences are grammatically different - verbs and nouns are switched between the two languages, so sometimes you have to pause, hear the whole sentence and then render it into English because the important verbs are at the end.

Stuttering, long pauses,"Uh"s and "Actually"s are still unnacceptable for professional real-time translation. Stop being so defensive. *shrug*

Excuse me but what does that have to do with anything?

If you don't understand Japanese grammar, you're really not qualified to comment on the quality of a Japanese translation, especially in real time.

As I explained above, Japanese verbs are at the end of sentences, so you often have to pause, hear the whole sentence, and sometimes the next sentence for correct context, because Japanese drops subjects more than English. That's why the translator either goes back and revises what she's saying, or pauses, waits and then blurts out a whole sentence.

The female translator is also translating much more complex material.

Basically, you're commenting and criticizing this thing you don't understand.

That's all I needed to know about NX for now. Bittersweet news for me, great to have an account system but I'm worried about the future Nintendo's dedicated handhelds (if NX doesn't turn out to be the rumored crossplatform system). I know Iwata's intentions are to expand their IPs but I'm not expecting too many people to get a taste of their IPs on mobile running towards a dedicated hardware.

I'd like to know what you all think we are underplaying?

You called this a "side show" when I would argue that it a fundamental change in the way they do business. They are talking about creating first parry content and putting it on phones, tablets, and PC. They go out of their way, multiple times to stress that no IP is off the table, and that Nintendo will be actively and aggressively targeting mobile with internally developed games.

I get that you clearly don't care for Mobile games, but I think you are letting that bias cloud your perception of today's conference.

Very true.

However :)P), the guy translator should really be doing the answers and the lady doing the questions still.

Haha fair enough. I'm just a grumpy old man towards you young types!

I sat in the room when Smash Bros. Melee was announced and shown for the first time on Gamecube...and back then the way this conference has been run today would have been ground breaking -- that is, we are halfway across the planet and getting it in English as it happens, which is awesome!

Royalties like Club Nintendo on the new account system. Will probably be tied into the number of games someone purchases, as Iwata mentioned previously that they want to reward dedicated customers.

Cipherr

You called this a "side show" when I would argue that it a fundamental change in the way they do business. They are talking about creating first parry content and putting it on phones, tablets, and PC. They go out of their way, multiple times to stress that no IP is off the table, and that Nintendo will be actively and aggressively targeting mobile with internally developed games.

I get that you clearly don't care for Mobile games, but I think you are letting that bias cloud your perception of today's conference.

I called it a side show because the CEO of the company has multiple times stated that this does not and will not effect nor change their core business methods. Being traditional dedicated gaming hardware with software to go with it. He then described this venture as something in addition to that core business, not a replacement.

Now thats from his mouth. If you have a problem with that, take it up with Iwata, but don't accuse me of downplaying it when I'm merely paraphrasing what the man himself just said less than 4 minutes ago (for the second time).

Fundamental denotes base or basis; Core, of which he said this does not modify nor replace. /shrug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom