• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sessions going to El Salvador to talk about MS-13 gang

Slayven

sessionsjeff_061317gn10_lead.jpg

http://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...going-to-el-salvador-to-talk-about-ms-13-gang

Trip comes amid heightened tensions with Trump.

Attorney General Jeff Sessions left Washington on Thursday amid escalated tensions with President Trump to fly to El Salvador. There, he will explore ways to quash the violent street gang known as MS-13, the Justice Department announced.

Halting MS-13 violence is one of the president's priorities. The administration is providing full coverage of the El Salvador trip to Fox News. The network is sending a crew to follow Sessions on the trip.

Sessions will meet with El Salvadorian authorities, including Attorney General Douglas Meléndez, and meet with former members of the MS-13, which Sessions has said could be designated as a terror organization.

The El Salvadorian gang, also known as Mara Salvatrucha, is infamous for its brutality and gang loyalty and has a large presence in the U.S.

The look when you go on a work trip and might not come back to a job

The Trump admin is ace at this. Sessions isn't going to do anything. He'll meet 1 or 2 politicians then get drunk at some hotel for a few days. He ain't meeting no gang members.

Ovid

Why is MS-13 a major topic all of a sudden?

They've been in NY for decades. Nassau and Suffolk Counties (Long Island) have problems with them.

I just find it really odd.

MS-13? Now that's a name I haven't heard in a long time. I think they actually had a decrease in membership recently. They had been handling a massive smuggling operation for weed, but when Colorado and Washington legalized they basically lost a whole market.

Edit: Entirely possible I'm thinking of another gang.

Chris R

They've been in NY for decades. Nassau and Suffolk Counties have problems with them.

Gotta go after those "Bad Hombres" crossing the border illegally.

rhandino

Banned
I haven't thought about MS-13 since 98
Good for you! We only have to deal with them on a every day basis thanks to them extorting people who operate public transport and private business and even charging for "security" in the suburbs.

Oh, and let me not forget the everyday murders and the piles of bones/bodies they found buried every time the police decides to investigate an area aka the mara didn't pay the tariff of protection that month so they HAVE to do something.

And I am not even from El Salvador!
Honduras here

They've been in NY for decades. Nassau and Suffolk Counties (Long Island) have problems with them.

What? Don't you know? I can't even walk down the street without a gang member thrown at me! There eeeeeeeeverywhere!

Guevara

Hits all the talking points:

Illegal alien 'mexican' gang

DogDude

MS-13 is absolutely crazy. Had a girlfriend tasked with help taking some of their stateside members down. The stories she would tell were nuts.

I'm from El Salvador and gang violence is honestly a major issue that needs a lot of work. The government in El Salvador has no idea what to do, and everything they've tried has failed to improve the conditions.

It's a very deep economic problem; but El Salvador is a country that can barely provide for law abiding citizens, much less any re-insertion programs for gang members.

Doesn't help the rich class is basically a kleptocracy that has stolen hundreds of millions from the treasury. It's honestly really sad to see what's happened to ES since I left ~13 years ago.

Tagyhag

They're still a problem in the West Coast.

They're given extra attention now because it helps Trump's "Brown people are bad" rhetoric.

That said, the silver lining being that they SHOULD be focused on. Criminals are criminals.

Good for you! We only have to deal with them on a every day basis thanks to them extorting people who operate public transport and private business and even charging for "security" in the suburbs.

Oh, and let me not forget the everyday murders and the piles of bones/bodies they found buried every time the police decides to investigate an area aka the mara didn't pay the tariff of protection that month so they HAVE to do something.

And I am not even from El Salvador!
Honduras here
My initial comment was crass gotta admit, MS-13 as a conservative talking point in the US just seems kinda random to me.

LQX

The MS-13 gangs need to be crushed by any means possible. They are probably the most ruthless gang out there. Recently they killed a couple teenagers in NY. A few years back they executed another group of innocent teens in a school yard in NJ. These fuckers are making other gangs look civilized.

My initial comment was crass gotta admit, MS-13 as a conservative talking point in the US just seems kinda random to me.

The money they make from selling drugs to Americans is what fuels their international criminal activity. It's a real North & Central American problem from the US down to Nicaragua.

Yeah and Sessions, who is a fucking idiot, going to El Salvador is not going to help any of that.

The Salvadoran government tried a "hard hand" tough-on-crime approach to gangs and it only made things worse. Sessions will for sure not help because he's not interested in addressing the root causes. Nobody in Central America seems to be and it's gonna be hopeless until they do.

The MS-13 gangs need to be crushed by any means possible. They are probably the most ruthless gang out there. Recently they killed a couple teenagers in NY. A few years back they executed another group of innocent teens in a school yard in NJ. These fuckers are making other gangs look civilized.

Yeah and Sessions, who is a fucking idiot, going to El Salvador is not going to help any of that.

The money they make from selling drugs to Americans is what fuels their international criminal activity. It's a real North & Central American problem from the US down to Nicaragua.
Yep, nothing will come from this until US changes the way it handles drugs. Its just talking point/busy work for Trump and company.

chekhonte

Would you believe a year ago that you'd be praying for Sessions safety and continued service in the US government?

Donny is (somehow) not satisfied with the political quagmire that health care reform has become, and still really, really wants to pillory himself over this whole Mexican border wall debacle.

Top Bottom