• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SETI has observed a strong signal that is Russian's that need funding

Status
Not open for further replies.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
So much stuff happening lately. We are about to be invaded folks.

Also according to every single metric and physical law we've thus far discovered and validated. Not saying there absolutely isn't a way, but there most likely isn't. (I REALLY hope I'm wrong though).

Einstein theories only work when you force gravity to be the speed of light in a vacuum but that doesn't necessarily mean it is the case.

Alexlf

With any technology, it's a hard limit with the physical laws of the universe.

It requires more energy than exists in the known universe.

Not any more! Topology research actually came up with a few novel ways to reduce the energy required to only a tiny bit of negative mass. Very achievable, if negative mass could/can exist.

Einstein theories only work when you force gravity to be the speed of light in a vacuum but that doesn't necessarily mean it is the case.

There's been experiments to validate that gravity moves at light speed, look up the LIGO research for some recent(and very neat) stuff.

umm i find no mention of this at seti.org. was it discovered by actual SETI folk or someone only loosely affiliated or..?

SETI is usually pretty damn cautious about not overhyping any potential signals, so the thread title got me excited... (coincidentally i was also listening to Startalk and they were talking about finding extraterrestrial life heh)

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Yeah, but it would take 95 years for their reply to reach us. So if this signal is a response to our earliest radio broadcasts, it is 95 years too early.

Not if they started broadcasting at the EXACT SAME TIME WE DID

All civilizations started at the same time in the universe, and all progressed technologically at the same pace.

It's just like a game of MOO

there's also the problem that any sufficiently advanced society is going to be using encryption. which is indistinguishable from white noise.

gutshot

I hope SETI have a lock on this and its not just another "WOW" signal that disappears

Well the signal itself was received in May 2015 and it sounds like they have yet to do any further observations. Hopefully they can get some eyes on it again soon.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
If a warp drive can be made, it's probably an AI that will figure out how to do it.

Is there an Three Body Problem thread somewhere around here? Gonna need it when Death's End drops later in September...
I don't think so but you're welcome to make one, especially with Death's End releasing next month. An OT for the Remembrance of Earth’s Past trilogy maybe? I'd be willing to contribute to the OP. I'd make the thread myself, butI can't make threads anymore unfortunately.

Admodieus

I don't think so but you're welcome to make one, especially with Death's End releasing next month. An OT for the Remembrance of Earth’s Past trilogy maybe? I'd be willing to contribute to the OP. I'd make the thread myself, butI can't make threads anymore unfortunately.

I'll look into making it this week. PM me with any content you want included

Man, knowing there's life out there besides us in this lifetime is what I've dreamt of. closing in on 30, though.....hope life longevity drops before I go.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
The signal may turn out to be nothing, but at least we got some Three Body Problem reminders out of the thread. I had missed that the Dark Forest translation was done.

mantidor

Damn.

I dreamt about this last night, scientists were baffled about some sort of moving planet they could not identify, it first ate up the moons of Jupiter and then used them as some sort of matrix that inverted the planet, as in, Jupiter ended up having the opposite colors it has now, no one knew if it had any plans for Earth, it was terrifying and exciting.

jstripes

Banned
If we are not the most infinitesimally small percentage of miracle civilization, aliens are purposefully ignoring and hiding from us.

If there is some sort of extraterrestrial civilization capable of visiting us, and we haven't been colonized or subjugated, we're probably in some sort of exclusion zone to prevent cultural contamination honestly. We're a warlike species dominated by religious fundamentalists, so keeping us contained is wise. :p

Dat product placement.

Those are legit great monitors.
5zUwAus.jpg

ced

I haven't read about this too much yet, but why did they wait more than a year to announce this. These things need immediate verification with different radio telescopes.

I guess after a year they should have already ruled out interference but who knows.

aliengmr

Not sad, very fortunate. A type II civilization would see us like an annoying disease and clean this planet with a nanobot swarm, just in case.

Would you expend the effort, time, cost, etc, nuking an anthill on Mars?

Unless Earth has some unique element the other civilization needs, we're nothing more than a curiosity.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Would you expend the effort, time, cost, etc, nuking an anthill on Mars?

Unless Earth has some unique element the other civilization needs, we're nothing more than a curiosity.

Or they're a species that takes no chances about losing their control of the galaxy and stamp out any planet that looks to be cultivating a species that could eventually spread to the stars. Its a classic sci fi trope.

Bs

If its aliens, that would mean intelligent life is really common.
. ...Which I doubt

But think about it, if its way beyond our tech and only 95 ly away.....thats fucking scary

They would've been here by now

Bs

If its aliens, that would mean intelligent life is really common.
. ...Which I doubt

But think about it, if its way beyond our tech and only 95 ly away.....thats fucking scary

They would've been here by now

I'm not sure if it would necessarily mean intelligent life is common (and if this big the universe is, it wouldn't surprise me if it were common but the universe again, pretty big)

It could be a matter of being in the right place at the right time. Kinda like the discovery of gravitational waves. Maybe we'll get lucky with this too.

gutshot

I haven't read about this too much yet, but why did they wait more than a year to announce this. These things need immediate verification with different radio telescopes.

I guess after a year they should have already ruled out interference but who knows.

The observation occurred in May 2015 but it sat in the data pipeline for some time. Once it was discovered, they then had to analyze it further to make sure it was legit, then write a paper on it, then publish it. Each step in that timeline takes probably a few months to complete, so hence the year long gap between its observation and announcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom