• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SETI has observed a strong signal that is Russian's that need funding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toxi

Banned
the Fermi paradox doesn't take biology into account. take earth, for example. very low success rate for intelligent species.
There isn't a low success rate for intelligent species, there's just a fuckton of foundation required for intelligent species to exist in the first place.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
wew well i can't wait for my dad to start telling me that 'scientists have proven that there's life on other planets'

he is already certain that scientists 'found life on mars' in spite of my trying to explain to him several times that they haven't, and has encounters with ufos once or twice a month!

I swear it's only a matter of time before I turn turn on my T.V. and see an alarming "BREAKING NEWS" headline.

I know the likelihood of us ever contacting /being contacted is slim, but I don't think it's impossible. The universe surprises us all the time.

Maybe we are that Breaking news to them at the moment. Radio shows are probly swamped with "I told you so!" calls.

There isn't a low success rate for intelligent species, there's just a fuckton of foundation required for intelligent species to exist in the first place.

i think you're saying the same thing in a different way.

regardless out of the billions of species that have existed on this planet there's only one that has reached a high level of intelligence. it's why the Fermi paradox isn't a paradox at all. there is likely a ton of life out there it's just not going to reach a high level of intelligence at exactly the right time for us to observe it.

pager99

Greetings earthlings, weve chosen neogaf as our first contact , we see earth is a type shithole civilization.............
Runs, please dont ban me :)

longdi

Banned
I feel we are in for a real breakthrough within this decade.
It's being awhile since our world was positively shook.
Aliens? Aliens.

Granted as long as there are no surprise terrorist race-wars bullshit or financial scrubby.
Pump more money into da space race! Go China Go USA!

AP90

Obligatory:

resized_ancient-aliens-invisible-something-meme-generator-i-m-not-saying-it-was-aliens-but-it-was-aliens-1824f9.jpg

Yes. I now feel satisfied with this thread lol.

TheMan

That would be amazing, but would the government really allow for the discovery of intelligent alien life to be made known? There would be havoc on earth.

Jme

SETI@home Astronomer Eric Korpela shit all over this

I looked over the presentation. I was unimpressed. In one out of 39 scans that passed over star showed a signal at about 4.5 times the mean noise power with a profile somewhat like the beam profile. Of course SETI@home has seen millions of potential signals with similar characteristics, but it takes more than that to make a good candidate. Multiple detections are a minimum criterion.

Because the receivers used were making broad band measurements, there's really nothing about this "signal" that would distinguish it from a natural radio transient (stellar flare, active galactic nucleus, microlensing of a background source, etc.) There's also nothing that could distinguish it from a satellite passing through the telescope field of view. All in all, it's relatively uninteresting from a SETI standpoint.

But, of course, it's been announced to the media. Reporters won't have the background to know it's not interesting. Because the media has it, and since this business runs on media, everyone will look at it. ATA is looking at it. I assume Breakthrough will look at it. Someone will look at it with Arecibo, and we'll be along for the ride. And I'll check the SETI@home database around that position. And we'll all find nothing. It's not our first time at this rodeo, so we know how it works.

fallout

That would be amazing, but would the government really allow for the discovery of intelligent alien life to be made known? There would be havoc on earth.
The government doesn't really have much in the way of jurisdiction when it comes to this stuff.

Also, on a personal note, I've always felt that the vast majority of people on Earth would actually be personally unaffected by the discovery of intelligent alien life. Sure, it would cause a bit of a stir, but for the most part ... people would return to their daily lives without thinking much about it again.

Not convinced that this is anything special unless we hear something more conclusive from Seth Shostak at the SETI Institute. Their silence at the moment speaks volumes. SETI in general and the SETI Institute are not one and the same...

Smart money here is on terrestrial military background interference.

In the meantime, have a of read of this article that Seth wrote this month :

We thought we had found E.T.

It was early on a summer evening in 1997. I had just finished dinner, and although I don’t recall the fare, I do recall the post-prandial excitement. Tom Pierson, the SETI Institute’s chief executive, called me at home and suggested that I hightail it down to the office....

The really incredible bit of concern is the folks in power due to religion. Could you imagine if another civilization came and were aware of their creator? (be it evolution or other)

Even more interesting, what if they confirmed a specific religion?

These topics are absolutely fascinating.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The really incredible bit of concern is the folks in power due to religion. Could you imagine if another civilization came and were aware of their creator? (be it evolution or other)

Or they never bothered with the concept of religion and are baffled by us believing in magic men and things living in the sky or what not.

C-Drive

Just like it always has been, religion will continue to say that "X" is wrong and the truth is whichever they are selling.

TBH, I'd expect aliens to actually land on the White House lawn and offer Hillary some Reticulan Liver and Onions before SETI ever found anything.

EM signals are way too much of a needle in a haybale, and we relatively are taking apart the bale one straw at a time. And we started about ten minutes ago. And we are wearing drunk goggles. And someone may not have even added the needle yet, or maybe have ditched needles for a sewing machine.

Update from Seth at the SETI Institute. They are looking at it with their telescope array but he doesn't sound at all optimistic.

Update for 9:30 p.m. PT Aug. 28: Seth Shostak, senior astronomer at the SETI Institute in Mountain View, Calif., weighed in on HD 164595 in an email to GeekWire:

“This is a bit of a puzzling story, as the Russians found this signal a year ago or so, but just didn’t let others know. That’s not good policy, as what you really want is confirmation at another telescope, but… Is it real? The signal may be real, but I suspect it’s not ET. There are other possibilities for a wide-band signal such as this, and they’re caused by natural sources (or even terrestrial interference).

“I just did a quick calculation of how much wattage they’d need to wield from 94 light-years (I think that’s the distance) in order to produce the apparently received signal, and that would be a big utility bill, even if they were directing the transmission (as opposed to broadcasting equally in all directions). It’s also the case that the known planet around the star is in an awfully tight orbit, which means it’s probably a place that’s hotter than Seattle’s best restaurant. Of course, there could be other planets there …

“So, not too much to say so far. However, we’re looking at this object with the Allen Telescope Array as I speak to you!”

And another group.

Doug Vakoch, president of San Francisco-based METI International, said his research group would try observing HD 164595 as early as tonight, weather permitting, with the Boquete Optical SETI Observatory.

sono

Why. Modern society is ready, there is so much popular media (e.g Roswell, Independence day etc)

It is not like they are invading (.. er right ?)

Brashnir

I think in that case actually they would say "Hey ! You are our kind of people, high five!!!"

It turns out that High-fiving is the standard greeting of all friendly species throughout the Galaxy. Once they see our sports broadcasts, they will know we are an enlightened species.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
SETI@home Astronomer Eric Korpela shit all over this

Until he's wrong.
Shouldn't there be a peer review of this kind of thing. Why should we take one guy's word.
He sounds jaded as fuck.
I remember in the movie Contact (1997) TM , the main character had people outright denying her funding to continue researching. People like this guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom