• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Several Tales games revealed in Jump

duckroll

Bebpo said:
Yeah, there was also a lot of rumors about a DC with added character when Graces first came out because when the cast stands in a group there's always space for one more person :lol

Sounds like ToV! :lol

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
miladesn said:
Do they really need to release the game on 360? sales on the 360 probably going to be negligible compared to the PS3 version, when FFXIII with aggressive advertising on 360 and larger userbase can't even match PS3 numbers, for niche titles like Tales it's going to be even worse.

FFXIII is the most tilted PS3:360 game of all time and it's got a 2:1 sales ratio.

Tales fans presumably already have 360s from Tales of Vesperia; there's no particular reason to conceive of Tales so-far as a "Sony franchise" like people would have with Final Fantasy. Why would it be "even worse" with Tales?

So, couldn't we conclude that a 360 version would at worse be 33% of the sales and at best more than 50%?

SEGA seems to be fine with releasing Yakuza games only on PS3 for example,

SEGA is targeting only Japan with Yakuza, something that comes through in both the speed and quality of the localizations and the general uncertainty with Yakuza 3 being localized at all, so you're making duckroll's point for him

Again, disproportionately Japanese, and this time with the benefit of being an ultra-niche publisher who makes ultra-niche titles. At that kind of volume, you could easily advocate developing for literally any single platform. This isn't what Namco is going for with Tales.

Rpgmonkey

Paracelsus said:
We don't know what are they doing with the 360, they could very well announce a porting together with the western release.

Why are they not releasing the game on 360 in Japan? Basically the entire fanbase moved on PS3 and it's not they can try to port the game one year later on either platform hoping people will fall for that scam once again.

Eh, maybe. The game seems to be a somewhat distant 2011 release and there's very little detail on it, maybe they are planning on doing something like that.

I'm not going to make that bet though. :lol

Pooya

Stumpokapow said:
SEGA is targeting only Japan with Yakuza, something that comes through in both the speed and quality of the localizations and the general uncertainty with Yakuza 3 being localized at all, so you're making duckroll's point for him

Again, disproportionately Japanese, and this time with the benefit of being an ultra-niche publisher who makes ultra-niche titles. At that kind of volume, you could easily advocate developing for literally any single platform. This isn't what Namco is going for with Tales.
well, I think Tales is in the same league as Yakuza right now, Yakuza actually sells better in Japan. Tales is not really a well-known popular franchise anymore (was it ever, aside from one game?), they are not going to sell millions with these, single platform should be enough.

Bebpo said:
Yeah, there was also a lot of rumors about a DC with added character when Graces first came out because when the cast stands in a group there's always space for one more person :lol
BETA version confirmed, funny it was buggy too :lol .

Jeels

duckroll said:
It's interesting seeing Namco finally realizing where the Tales fanbase really is. Two PSP Tales and two PS3 Tales in the upcoming line up says it all.

It only took almost half a freakin' decade.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I have this gut feeling the new nameless Tales game would be localized.

Manaka

Jeels said:
It only took almost half a freakin' decade.

Yeah :lol

I still can't believe there were 2 "flagship" titles on DS ( Tales of the Tempest being ...well..Tales of the Tempest), ToV being time exclusive and at last Graces until they came to this conclusion.

To the US/European situation: I realized t's not like we ever got that many Tales games to begin with- the complaints were always the same ( ToD2, ToR and ToD remake on ps2 for example)-back then I was very motivated to play them with walktroughs but I'm not that interested anymore, so I gues that's bye bye Tales of for me :lol

Yazuka

Since this thread is active, I'm just gonna ask a quick question about TOV for PS3.
If I buy the "korean" version of the game, I can still use the DLC from the Japanese/Hong Kong Playstation Store right?
I just want to be sure, before I buy it.

Boney

Banned
Can't say I wasn't expecting that. They have to recoup that initial investment from Graces, and I doubt a Japan only release helped them too much.

I seriously wonder why they are so reluctant to bring the series over, is it because they don't wanna over expose the franchise like they do in Japan? It still doesn't explain why it doesn't have any exposure at all :lol . Oh well.

What numbers do you guys think we're gonna see from this port? 200-300k? Or over the 400 barrier?

If the sales arent selling that much, or even being praised that highly by fans, then why even localize it in the first place. The only one that seemed to be a full scale critical success was Vesperia, so I dont get people crying for graces and such, The last one that wasnt vesperia Symphonia 2, wasnt even anything to write home about.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
miladesn said:
Last time you had this 'gut feeling' you ended up with that Justin Bieber avatar...

Maybe my prediction will be in reverse, meaning Tales of Graces PS3 would be actually localized!

ULTROS!

Fine, then I predict Tales of Graces and the new Tales game will never be localized ever.

Bebpo

Banned
Yazuka said:
Since this thread is active, I'm just gonna ask a quick question about TOV for PS3.
If I buy the "korean" version of the game, I can still use the DLC from the Japanese/Hong Kong Playstation Store right?
I just want to be sure, before I buy it.

I'm almost 100% it won't work.

DLC is usually (always?) locked to the same region game.

DR2K

Banned
Bebpo said:
Because X360 is dead in Japan and Namco has no plans to bring the game to the US?

It was never alive in Japan. Which is why that 200k is especially impressive.

I dunno about that.
At this time the 360 in Japan is at or around the level of the Dreamcast. I'm talking that one point where a handful of niche developers were racing to release the "Last Dreamcast Game Ever".

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
You know, Namco, if you'd release Graces for Wii in the U.S., I'd buy it. Really, I would. Don't you trust me? I bought Symphonia 2 for fuck's sakes...

I'll buy it for PS3 if you localize that, instead, though.

Aeana said:
If only we got it in English.

:lol Subtle.

Lucis

lol @ amount of bitterness in this thread.

this is great news IMO, stop QQing about you might not be able to play it because of language barrier, if you really want to play. learn japanese!

I just started ToG again for recording, good thing this news came out so I stopped.

TBH i don't want another TOV, they did the previous one masterfully and it ended. Unless they are takling about an entirely different story line in a somewhat related TOV universe, not interested other wise ;/

BTw here's an obligatory: "Namco sucks this gen" post from yours truly.
---
I thought it was bad before that N/B can only do fighting games and Tales games but now we're looking at Cross-over fighting games and sequels to Cross-over Tales games.

Talon

Kirashi said:
this is great news IMO, stop QQing about you might not be able to play it because of language barrier, if you really want to play. learn japanese!
This is so reasonable, Kirashi-chan.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Kirashi said:

Oh sure. Spend years learning one of the hardest languages in the world just so I can play a few video games. Yeah, seems totally reasonable.

rykomatsu

Kirashi said:
TBH i don't want another TOV, they did the previous one masterfully and it ended. Unless they are takling about an entirely different story line in a somewhat related TOV universe, not interested other wise ;/

I wouldn't mind a ToV prequel tbh (set a millenia ago or w/e that set the stage for ToV...Vesperia Zero?)

Yazuka

Bebpo said:
I'm almost 100% it won't work.

DLC is usually (always?) locked to the same region game.
Yeah, I know DLC usually is regionlocked. But I've heard some people have used the Japanese version with DLC from the Hong Kong store. (I think it was)
So just wanted to make sure.

Lyonaz

You know maybe Namco didn´t brought Graces over because they were already planning to bring over the PS3 version. Simultaneous world wide release!

Right?!

Already know this won't ever happen, fucking SCAMCO!!

Lucis

rykomatsu said:
I wouldn't mind a ToV prequel tbh (set a millenia ago or w/e that set the stage for ToV...Vesperia Zero?)

that's what i meant. make it completely unrelated to the first ToV story (character and timeline wise). Maybe just a loose end tied together some where by some insignificant things.

ZealousD said:
Oh sure. Spend years learning one of the hardest languages in the world just so I can play a few video games. Yeah, seems totally reasonable.

wait what? one of the hardest languages in the world? where's this lol coming from. oh, and i did it. plenty others have done the same thing also.

Pooya

Kirashi said:
that's what i meant. make it completely unrelated to the first ToV story (character and timeline wise). Maybe just a loose end tied together some where by some insignificant things.
A game about origins of Blastia would work.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I speak/read/write three languages already.
I'm not going to learn a very distinct fourth just for a handful of videogames.
I'll wait for translation patches instead!

Kagari said:
Makes me wonder if MS had anything to do with Vesperia's quick localization to the US.

Always been under the impression after that and Blue Dragon; capture a chunk of the PS2's powerbase going into the next generation, ya know? Le sigh...

A fat lot of good all that work did Microsoft. If anything they've become less relevant to Japan than they were during the Xbox 1 period. At least that system got a number of unique exclusives that really took advantage of the hardware. At this point unless it looks like the kind of game that could sell outside Japan it won't be seeing the 360 and even then it'll most likely be multi-platform. All of the exclusives are tied to the most niche of niche genres and they're not going anywhere but otherwise...yeah

It's going to take a miracle to sell Japan on the 720 or whatever the hell Xbox3 is called.

Paracelsus

rykomatsu said:
PS3 beta tests
360 gets the full version this time? :p

Wow, you just had to read the full post and you did not.

it did? I thought graces outsold it ltd and even graces didn't make the 200k mark.

Both average at about 205-210k, which makes ToV PS3 result even more worth mentioning, being a port that outsold two first major releases 1.5:1.

It's going to take a miracle to sell Japan on the 720 or whatever the hell Xbox3 is called.

Given the damage suffered this "round", you've gotta wonder whether there will be a next gen Tales period.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Kirashi said:
wait what? one of the hardest languages in the world? where's this lol coming from. oh, and i did it. plenty others have done the same thing also.

For somebody who's a native English speaker, Japanese is incredibly difficult to learn. They're fundamentally different languages. It's not like it takes a weekend or something, so telling somebody to spend the massive time requirement to learn it just so they can play a video game is absurd.

Geneijin

ZealousD said:

Honestly, it depends how much of the experience you want to have. If I wanted to play a Tales game solely for the gameplay, the barrier isn't too big actually. Of course, with the aid of a friendly guide and watching a few videos, it makes it possible. But if I wanted to appreciate and understand the dialogue and story? Got to hit the books for that.

It would take days to recognize kana and it would be enough if my goal was playing it strictly for the gameplay, but would I have even a rough rudimentary understanding of the language? Nope. That would take months to actually learn it. Years if I want to learn the language competently.

It really is troublesome though, but I understand where you might be coming from. It's just how much you want to play a game I guess.

rykomatsu

Paracelsus said:
Wow, you just had to read the full post and you did not.

Yeah, except you mentioned it was an impossibility when NBGI hasn't exactly been faithful to one console or another throughout its history. All signs are pointing towards what you said, but until I see it (or lack thereof I suppose in this case) I won't believe it.

Top Bottom