• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SF BayGaf

Milchjon

What are some must-visit reasonably priced food and beer destinations for a first time visitor from Germany? Central SF preferred.

Edzi

Anyone going to Fanime this weekend? I've always been interested, so I might pick up a weekend pass and check it out this year.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone going to Fanime this weekend? I've always been interested, so I might pick up a weekend pass and check it out this year.

It's definitely grown a lot since I started going a few years ago. Always something interesting to check out there.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Where most out-of-city SF employees commute home.

VLbTDZS.gif

Tornix

My friend's dad would commute in from Elk Grove to South SF for work after they moved out that way. Still does as far as I know. Brentwood to Hayward is far enough for me.

Tom Nook

Hello Bay Area GAF,

I live in San Jose/Campbell area and I'm looking to lowering my Internet bill. Currently with Comcast internet bundle (Internet 25 + local TV) @ around $60/month. I never used the TV service because Comcast said was cheaper just to get the bundle than getting internet alone.

What service you're using and, if you don't mind, how much you're paying? I'm looking for options.

Thanks

harSon

Banned
Hello Bay Area GAF,

I live in San Jose/Campbell area and I'm looking to lowering my Internet bill. Currently with Comcast internet bundle (Internet 25 + local TV) @ around $60/month. I never used the TV service because Comcast said was cheaper just to get the bundle than getting internet alone.

What service you're using and, if you don't mind, how much you're paying? I'm looking for options.

Thanks

Now that Google abandoned us, you're basically stuck.

broz0rs

Hello Bay Area GAF,

Thanks

your other alternative is AT&T U-verse, which can start cheap for the first year but rise after the promotional period. check Internet only plans

clav

your other alternative is AT&T U-verse, which can start cheap for the first year but rise after the promotional period. check Internet only plans

If you're considering Uverse, you might as well consider Sonic as they are a reseller in the Bay Area without data caps. Only problem is you are required to rent a modem, and your speeds may be worse.

If you live in SF, you might be lucky to get their fiber network.

Hello Bay Area GAF,

Thanks

I'm in that general area and if you want any decent amount of speed, you're pretty much stuck with Comcast or AT&T U-Verse which means it's pretty hard to lower your bill. I was hoping for Google Fiber but that seems to have died. On the up side, there's a good chance you could get AT&T's gigabit connection, but that will cost you more.

"I have a private shipper who can get it for me. I can send you a certified check. When you have the money, I will send my shipper."

Littered with typos.

v1lla21

There was a dude in a standoff with swat by where I live and it caused a shitload of traffic that made me late to class. Class ends up being cancelled due to a low amount of students -_-

I got some double play bundle with comcast where I was paying 80 bucks for 150down and 10up. It went up to $100 bucks this month.

usctrojan

Just the other day we were talking about how that New Orleans food truck had the worst graphics. But with your reviews, I will give it a shot!

olympia

i feel bad for the person who made lobster because they threw it on a font site for free and now every company and their parent company uses it

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
i feel bad for the person who made lobster because they threw it on a font site for free and now every company and their parent company uses it

hahaha true. whoever that was really dropped the ball on that one.

Tabris

I'm moving to SF in less then 2 weeks. Work is putting me in a hotel for a couple weeks. Looking to find a place by Oct 1st. I'm targeting SoMA, Civic Centre, or South Beach as I want to live in a new high-rise. I haven't stayed more then a few weeks in SF before, and mainly in the financial district and fishermen's wharf, and that was for business. I took a tour bus once so I've seen all the areas.

So I had a couple questions:

1) What's the best places to eat and drink? Where's the nightlife?
2) I'll be working near the Embarcadero, what train do I use to get there (assuming I don't just Uber or bike ride every day?)
3) How is it riding a bike around SoMA?
4) How's transit (for whatever train I'm taking)?
5) What's Amazon Prime delivery like in SF? I've never used it but I'm excited to use it to avoid most shopping. Is it same day? If so, when do you need to order by for it to get delivered same day?
6) Any other tips for someone new to the city?

EDIT - Oh, I'm just using CL right now, but what's best website for finding someone looking for a roommate? I'm going to do the roommate situation in SF since rent is high and I have no US credit yet.

EDIT 2 - Also looking at Mission Creek area since there seems to be a bunch of new developments there.

Hi BayGAF!

Do you guys ever have like a retro game night or local co-op night? If not, maybe I could host one. I'm in SF in Central Parkside, circa 23rd and Wawona. I have the following:

• A 65" 4K Samsung TV
  • Alienware PC w/triple-SLI NVidia 980 Tis
  • Wii U + various controllers
  • PS4 + 2 controllers
  • Lots of chairs + some couchspace too
  • A popcorn popper
  • Lots of nearby parking
  • Loose morals
  • Weed

Nelo Ice

Banned
Hi BayGAF!

Do you guys ever have like a retro game night or local co-op night? If not, maybe I could host one. I'm in SF in Central Parkside, circa 23rd and Wawona. I have the following:

• A 65" 4K Samsung TV
  • PS4 + 2 controllers
  • A popcorn popper
  • Lots of nearby parking
  • Loose morals
  • Weed

Closest thing I can think of is the High Scores arcade in East Bay. Not exactly a game night but I've been to the new Hayward location and it's pretty awesome. $5 for an hour or $10 for all day with every machine on free play.

beat

I'm moving to SF in less then 2 weeks. Work is putting me in a hotel for a couple weeks. Looking to find a place by Oct 1st. I'm targeting SoMA, Civic Centre, or South Beach as I want to live in a new high-rise. I haven't stayed more then a few weeks in SF before, and mainly in the financial district and fishermen's wharf, and that was for business. I took a tour bus once so I've seen all the areas.

So I had a couple questions:

1) What's the best places to eat and drink? Where's the nightlife?
2) I'll be working near the Embarcadero, what train do I use to get there (assuming I don't just Uber or bike ride every day?)
3) How is it riding a bike around SoMA?
4) How's transit (for whatever train I'm taking)?
5) What's Amazon Prime delivery like in SF? I've never used it but I'm excited to use it to avoid most shopping. Is it same day? If so, when do you need to order by for it to get delivered same day?
6) Any other tips for someone new to the city?

EDIT - Oh, I'm just using CL right now, but what's best website for finding someone looking for a roommate? I'm going to do the roommate situation in SF since rent is high and I have no US credit yet.

EDIT 2 - Also looking at Mission Creek area since there seems to be a bunch of new developments there.
2) BART, maybe. Otherwise almost all the Muni streetcar lines go through the same stops as BART does in downtown SF. All of those stop at Montgomery and Embarcadero. Otherwise, you could try the F streetcar line that goes along the Embarcadero.

3) I like transit in SF. Depends what you're willing to deal with. Caltrain (for going to the Peninsula and South Bay) is expensive but relatively plush. BART is OK. Muni feels bad but covers the city; BART is just functionally a single line (within SF proper) running south to the Peninsula (and SFO) and north/east to the East Bay.

6) misc tips:

- a Muni pass (monthy or even seven day) also gets you free rides on the cable cars, which are otherwise priced to fleece tourists.

- it's hella hilly in many parts of SF.

- start looking for a roommate right now if you want one by Oct 1st.

- develop some healthy skepticism about CL postings. If things look too good to be true, then either the poster mislabeled the address or is straight up scamming. In the latter case, for example, they love to put 3 br/2 ba posts for comically low prices.

- Oct is one of the warm times of the year, more than actual summer.

AcridMeat

Banned
Hi BayGAF!

• A 65" 4K Samsung TV
  • PS4 + 2 controllers
  • A popcorn popper
  • Lots of nearby parking
  • Loose morals
  • Weed
I'll die for the team. I mean take one.

There's a game night I post about all the time at folsom st foundry, but unfortunately they recently raised their cover to $10.

Top Bottom