• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SF BayGaf

Edzi

I'll die for the team. I mean take one.

There's a game night I post about all the time at folsom st foundry, but unfortunately they recently raised their cover to $10.

Wait, seriously? Wow, that's really pushing it considering a lot of us have to already spend money to BART down there.

AcridMeat

Banned
Wait, seriously? Wow, that's really pushing it considering a lot of us have to already spend money to BART down there.
They changed the rewards program to instead of every 5 times (5x5) it's every 2x sign in (2x10) to get free entry.

So while it's more money up front it's cheaper for regulars.

At least from the update that's what I gathered.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Considering the Bay Area is a huge hub for tech and gaming, I'm honestly surprised with how little esports venues there are. Round1 San Jose recently had a tourny for SFV, but there's really not much anymore...

I was surprised. Going up for PAX, I saw a ton of esports venues along the Pacific Northwest. Lots of big PC lan places and the like, and not really a bar-type set up like here. I'm honestly surprised that there's a bunch up there, but like, nothing here. The market seems good to create something like that in the area. Those places seemed more competitive, too.

olympia

yeah. svgl used to be insanely packed with hardcore fighting game communities on Wednesday nights and weekends. One of the big tournaments there is the ancestor to Evo

Breezy excursion had MK weeklies at their warehouse before they moved to LA

there's AFK, I guess. There were some cafes around but they closed

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I have yet to go to AFK. Too bad, though. Someone needs to start up something. Would be nice to see more of a presence here. Both competitive esports, but also something chill to do casual things at. Oh, and be fairly centerally located. Someone should invest!

Battjmo

Neo Member
Hi BayGAF!

Do you guys ever have like a retro game night or local co-op night? If not, maybe I could host one. I'm in SF in Central Parkside, circa 23rd and Wawona. I have the following:

• A 65" 4K Samsung TV
  • Alienware PC w/triple-SLI NVidia 980 Tis
  • Wii U + various controllers
  • PS4 + 2 controllers
  • Lots of chairs + some couchspace too
  • A popcorn popper
  • Lots of nearby parking
  • Loose morals
  • Weed

The Museum of Art and Digital Entertainment (The MADE) in Oakland is open from 12-6 every weekend day, $5 admission, non-profit game museum full of playable retro action. I volunteer there.

EDIT We also do large weekly Smash tournaments (64, Melee, and new) tournaments, and have done other games (SFV, Hearthstone) in the past.

GamerJM

Banned
Not exactly super eSports, but in addition to tournaments at the Foundry and the MADE, UC Berkley, Santa Clara University, and San Jose State all regularly host Smash tournaments (during the school year at least).

Lunar15

Tentatively getting a job in San Mateo. I live out in Florida, so I honestly have no idea what to expect if the whole thing comes together. It's probably a long shot, but it's definitely got me thinking about what that move entails.

GamerJM

Banned
half moon bay is supposedly the place to go but it's been a while since i've been there

while were at it i kinda want to go a corn maze

I used to travel down to one down in..I think it was Hollister with my family every year? It was pretty good but also basically the same every year. We used to go to a bunch of pumpkin patches since my mom is kind of a Halloween nut actually but I can't remember where any of them were because I never really asked where (geographically) we were going when I was a kid.

Rootbeer

Banned
ac696362a86cd53b07af6dc519905bac.png

Wow fucking seriously?

I've had it up to here with this heat. I thought the worst was behind us but it just keeps coming back. Please, let it get cool.

Like a lot of folks in the area, we don't have AC. We stomach about a week's worth of hot days per season normally, but there's been a lot of hot days this year.

Good thing I bought a new vornado fan last week. Really coming in useful.

Hope you all are doing fine!

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

Wow fucking seriously?

I've had it up to here with this heat. I thought the worst was behind us but it just keeps coming back. Please, let it get cool.

Like a lot of folks in the area, we don't have AC. We stomach about a week's worth of hot days per season normally, but there's been a lot of hot days this year.

It's supposed to get cooler later in the week, even below normal averages for October by next weekend.

Tabris

CB2, HD Buttercup, West Elm, EQ3, etc delivers.
Ever look into a Casper mattress? Free shipping/returns.

No, I don't know what a casper mattress is. Looking at it online though, it doesn't seem like it would be hard enough for me watching an unboxing video. I like that perfect balance between soft and hard.

Thanks for the heads up on furniture stores though! Do you know any Herman Miller resellers here close to South Beach?

No, I don't know what a casper mattress is. Looking at it online though, it doesn't seem like it would be hard enough for me watching an unboxing video. I like that perfect balance between soft and hard.

Thanks for the heads up on furniture stores though! Do you know any Herman Miller resellers here close to South Beach?

You can check out a Casper mattress at any West Elms. All the ordering can take place in stores or online through the actual Casper website.

EQ3 and Room & Board sells Herman Miller stuff. You're close to Townsend/Brannan/7th Street where a lot of furniture stores are. There's also a ton of mid-century stores in the Mission District that sells vintage Eames stuff too. Blu Dot opened a store in Mission not too long ago.

Craigslist for the Bay Area is actually a goldmine for Herman Miller/Eames stuff. A lot of cool places across the bay in Berkeley/Oakland/Marin too.

Tabris

Thank you so much for the heads up. I'm going to try to balance between my favourite Ikea (in Emeryville I think), Herman Miller, and one of those furniture stores for the rest.

I wouldn't want to risk Craigslist for Herman Miller stuff because there's so many knockoffs.

Thank you so much for the heads up. I'm going to try to balance between my favourite Ikea (in Emeryville I think), Herman Miller, and one of those furniture stores for the rest.

I wouldn't want to risk Craigslist for Herman Miller stuff because there's so many knockoffs.

Herman Miller/Eames knock offs are easy to spot. Most of the sellers on Craigslist SF Bay Area are usually collectors and are good to deal with. Yes, the closest Ikea to you is in Emeryville. There's an EQ3 and West Elm in that same shopping center too.

Wow fucking seriously?

This summer has actually been cooler than usual and it's not abnormal to have high temps into October.

They're actually decently firm despite how it comes out of the box. You'd never be able to put it back into the box either. Plus with free shipping, and free pick up if you don't like it, there's very little reason to not give it a shot.

Tabris

Do people in SF complain about weather a lot? They seem to complain when it was slightly chilly late this week and then now complaining about sub-100 temperatures as too hot?

Do people in SF complain about weather a lot? They seem to complain when it was slightly chilly late this week and then now complaining about sub-100 temperatures as too hot?

People in CA like mid 70s. So SF tends to be in the 60s, and 90+ isn't common in SF.

This temperature range is golden though! You guys shouldn't complain. Especially nice when you got that ocean breeze on you.
We are spoiled here. For example, most of this summer was mid 70s with the occasional mid 80s. 90s is hot to us when temperature year round is usually pretty perfect. When you get used to it, complaining tend to happen when it breaks the norm.

olympia

on the flip there are a bunch of companies and ventures that are constantly trying to get rid of HM chairs. that's where i got mine

Tabris

on the flip there are a bunch of companies and ventures that are constantly trying to get rid of HM chairs. that's where i got mine

Ah that's a good point. My first purchase was going to be an Aeron chair.

I'm leaving my furniture up in Vancouver so I'm starting fresh here. I'm going to slowly get some of the same stuff I had in Vancouver, but Aeron chair is definitely something I can't live without. It's soo comfortable.

We are spoiled here. For example, most of this summer was mid 70s with the occasional mid 80s. 90s is hot to us when temperature year round is usually pretty perfect. When you get used to it, complaining tend to happen when it breaks the norm.
uh what, it was like high 50's for a lot of the summer in SF proper

Sorry I meant to imply the Bay Area in general. SF is typically colder than the rest of the Bay Area.
I don't think saying the Bay Area is a meaningful way of referring to anything in general. SF/Oakland is usually much cooler than anywhere south in the peninsula (and Oakland is warmer than SF typically too) or like Fremont areas, and out near Concord is usually much hotter as well

I don't think saying the Bay Area is a meaningful way of referring to anything in general. SF/Oakland is usually much cooler than anywhere south in the peninsula (and Oakland is warmer than SF typically too) or like Fremont areas, and out near Concord is usually much hotter as well

Anywhere outside of SF, ie peninsula, south bay, Fremont, Oakland, etc tends to be about 10 degrees or more warmer. If you go and look at the average high temperature during the months of June, July, and August for Burlingame, Redwood City, Mountain View, Santa Clara, San Jose, Fremont, Hayward, Oakland and even Concord, you'll see it hovers in the 70s and 80s. SF is the only one under 70.

Now up to 300 acres just in the past couple of hours.
Fire started on Loma Prieta and Loma Chiquita Road in between Los Gatos/West of Morgan Hill.

Now up to 300 acres just in the past couple of hours.
Fire started on Loma Prieta and Loma Chiquita Road in between Los Gatos/West of Morgan Hill.

Damn, that's directly south of where I live. Less than 8 miles away. I'm definitely going to be seeing smoke on the way home. Wonder how bad the air quality is going to be.

I could see the fire driving home from work the entire way. So that's in Santa Clara out by Great America. I live pretty close to it too so I've got quite the view. Close enough to see flames coming up. I'll see if I can take a pic of them.

M52B28

Banned
Seriously Bangkok smells better then SF
Yeah, San Francisco has terrible smells. Whenever I go up there for a bit, my nose starts to burn from the pungent smells.

I can say that I've grown to fight through it, but man, sometimes that smell of piss, shit or sewage just punches me in the face.

Also, for those who are complaining about the heat, it's supposed to cool off a large amount after Tuesday, so hold on for a bit longer. Also, if the suggestion is correct, we're going to be getting scattered showers one of the days next week. I'm especially excited because I haven't seen rain in the Bay Area since...... I can't remember the last time I've seen rain.

Tabris

Stay safe Marty Chinn.

Yeah, San Francisco has terrible smells. Whenever I go up there for a bit, my nose starts to burn from the pungent smells.

I can say that I've grown to fight through it, but man, sometimes that smell of piss, shit or sewage just punches me in the face.

Yeah but for a city with so much money and property tax income (I assume with the high housing prices) - they can't afford to clean up their sewage system in the downtown?

I talked to someone and apparently it smells so bad because the sewage is dumped into the bay and the tide brings it back to the soil that's under the city and it's seeped in? And then they are doing construction opening up the ground? You still would think they could do something about it with the money the city should have.

Fjordson

Can see the fire driving home on 101 (from Morgan Hill towards San Jose).

I live kinda close to Morgan Hill. It looks distant right now, but it's a little nerve wracking =/

Top Bottom