• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SFV EVO Finals Watched By 5m Unique Viewers.

MrCarter

https://capcomprotour.com/street-fighter-v-evo-2017-finals-viewership-ever-fgc-event/

Nearly 5 million viewers tuned in to watch an all-time great Street Fighter V final at Evolution Championship Series 2017. The finals aired on ESPN2 for the second year in a row and Disney XD for the first time, garnering an estimated total viewership of 3.1 million. Twitch’s total unique viewership of 1.65 million brings the overall number to 4.75 million, the largest ever for an FGC event.

Nine different characters were used in top 8 -- Dhalsim, Chun-Li, Guile, Rashid, Zangief, Cammy, Karin, Nash, and Akuma. The players got to show off some ingenious technology with their respective characters in the highly entertaining finals. Some of the highlights of the finals were ECHO FOX|Tokido versus SPLYCE|Filipino Champ and DTN|Itabashi Zangief and Moke in nail-biting sets as they played for their tournament lives in the losers bracket.

Last year, Street Fighter V Evo 2016 finals averaged an estimated 201,000 viewers, with a total of 1.95 million unique viewers on the ESPN2 live broadcast. On average, a minimum of 271,000 people watched the Evo 2017 finals on ESPN2 and Disney XD. That estimate combined with the 216,000 max concurrent viewers on Twitch brings the total max concurrent viewership to well over 500,000 viewers. This is even more impressive considering that the Evo Street Fighter V tournament was broadcasted during the same time slot as the Season 7 premiere of HBO’s Game of Thrones.

More people watched Street Fighter V at Evo 2017 than any other event but in case you missed out on the action, you can watch the re-airing of the Street Fighter V Top 8 Finals this Sunday, 8/6/17 at 6pm PST on Disney XD.

By: Michael Martin.

Despite its flaws I'm glad it's doing well in the FGC and continuing to grow a scene that's come so far from basically nothing. Again, a massive congratulations to Tokido for such a great performance!

gucoyXa.gif

Huge milestone for an event with such grassroots origins. Congrats!

And still the only thing of it's kind where if you want you can enter next year as an equal to tokido.

You might even play him.

Fighting games are tricky yes, but they are the most open and welcoming competitive game you can find.

And the FGC, is somewhere where you can make lifelong friends in every city jn the world just because you both like to throw a few hadoukens,every now and then.

Long live Evo and the FGC.

RedAssedApe

Banned
definitely better than last years. way more character variety from what i watched.

noticed they were still trying to milk that LI Joe storyline this year though lol. how'd he do?

Reset

I'm guessing no one is using Ken in the finals, huh? Once people see that thing, they'll want to tune out.

DrArchon

Great numbers for SFV. Helps that the top 8 was stupid hype too.

Wish we could get the numbers for other games as well, like Smash 4.

How does this compare to the big LoL, CS:GO, and other esports tournaments?

I doubt the gap between the FGC and those games will ever be closed, but I'm curious to know how close or far the numbers still are.

Maxinas

Too bad those numbers can't be translated into sales, because the game is terrible to play, but fun to watch.

What a time to be alive, next year with DBZ tho
x5JZ7yI.gif
I don't see the level of play that DBZ might have to be at all comparable though, it'll only have had a few months (if that) of people playing the game.

People have been playing SFV for 1.5 years now.
I heard this in dude's voice and almost spit out water on my keyboard.
That character is the weirdest thing.

Such. An. Asshole.

And yet his actor just pulled it off so well that I still found him so entertaining.

Great to hear.

With Street Fighter, DBZ and Marvel next year I'm expecting even bigger numbers and possibly more consistent across the board.

Shin

Banned
SFV is fun as fuck to watch at a high level.

Stay wrong haters.

Agreed, though I don't have the game yet (because no PS4) I plan on buying it despite whatever people say.
I enjoy watching the big tournaments where Street Fighter V is part of, the community is just full of awesome.

Skilletor

That character is the weirdest thing.

Such. An. Asshole.

And yet his actor just pulled it off so well that I still found him so entertaining.

Surrounded by all of the amazing acting, I thought his character felt off. Somehow I got used to it until he became this great character (I still hated).

I don't think it will be as hype at EVO as people think. It will do great sales, but I think it will fizzle off fast. It's like the fast food of fighting games.
I personally think it will be fun but just not in 2018, simply because people will still be getting acclimated to the game and learning the ins and outs.

2019 and beyond though, that shit is gonna be hype. It happens with every fighting game. Even SFV's finals last year were good but not anything great (IMO). This year was fantastic though.

Varth

Is there such a thing as a "best match compilation" from last EVO I can watch? Missed it completely.

Sayad

SFV is fun as fuck to watch at a high level.

Stay wrong haters.

EVO top 8 was pretty fun, my favorite top 8(any game) this year, but that's usually not the case in SFV season 2. I'd say, if EVO was a 9/10 most top 8s this season have been 3 or 4/10. ELeauge was fun, but that was more so due to the production team doing a great job.

DrArchon

Great to hear.

With Street Fighter, DBZ and Marvel next year I'm expecting even bigger numbers and possibly more consistent across the board.

A big part of these 500k viewers for SFV were on TV though. How many other fighters will be on TV other than SFV and whichever Smash game shows up on Sunday? I'm sure Capcom would be happy to promote MvC, but how much EVO coverage do these channels want to show?

I mean, I'd love to see the reactions to DBZ on ESPN, but right now it doesn't seem likely.

I personally think it will be fun but just not in 2018, simply because people will still be getting acclimated to the game and learning the ins and outs.

2019 and beyond though, that shit is gonna be hype. It happens with every fighting game. Even SFV's finals last year were good but not anything great (IMO). This year was fantastic though.

I'm still excited for it, I just don't know if it would be as big. I forgot it will probably release right before EVO too, so yeah 2019.

Top Bottom