• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SFV EVO Finals Watched By 5m Unique Viewers.

Is there such a thing as a "best match compilation" from last EVO I can watch? Missed it completely.

Just starting with Top 8 is pretty good. Lots of great matches and no mirrors. You can even see Cammy go from her default to CPT costume.

Neoxon

It was a great Top 8 overall, I'm glad that it got a shit-ton of viewers. Hopefully it'll help SFV & the FGC as a whole grow within the esports community.

Skilletor

A big part of these 500k viewers for SFV were on TV though. How many other fighters will be on TV other than SFV and whichever Smash game shows up on Sunday? I'm sure Capcom would be happy to promote MvC, but how much EVO coverage do these channels want to show?

I mean, I'd love to see the reactions to DBZ on ESPN, but right now it doesn't seem likely.

Disney XD now has an eleague show, so maybe they'll expand it next year.

Neoxon

A big part of these 500k viewers for SFV were on TV though. How many other fighters will be on TV other than SFV and whichever Smash game shows up on Sunday? I'm sure Capcom would be happy to promote MvC, but how much EVO coverage do these channels want to show?

I mean, I'd love to see the reactions to DBZ on ESPN, but right now it doesn't seem likely.
If anything, maybe DBFZ could be prime time on Saturday so Top 8 can be aired on Toonami (or Adult Swim if EVO doesn't want to wait until 10pm CST for DBFZ Top 8).

As for other TV showings of fighting games, Disney XD now airs ESL Brawlers for SFV on a regular basis.

fhqwhgads

I'm curious how there's so many viewers yet not enough buyers.
What's the hold up.
First impressions are a killer. It's slowly been getting better in the eyes of the public, but don't expect SFV to sell gangbusters and be an overnight success. Capcom really screwed the pooch with the reveal and it's not the first time they've doomed a game's sales (Street Fighter X Tekken)

The views do make me think that Street Fighter still does have strong-ish brand recognition, which makes it even more damning on how badly Capcom did with the launch to where that wasn't enough to get it going at first.

Arms has a total of 3 viewers on Twitch. That's none of my business tho.

200w.gif
Can we please not do this

DrArchon

If anything, maybe DBFZ could be prime time on Saturday so Top 8 can be aired on Toonami (or Adult Swim if EVO doesn't want to wait until 10pm CST for DBFZ Top 8).

As for other TV showings of fighting games, Disney XD now airs ESL Brawlers for SFV on a regular basis.

Oh man, DBZ finals on Toonami would be stupid hype.

Good on Capcom for striking as many deals as they can to show off high level SFV play. I see no reason to believe that SFV and Smash 4 won't be on TV next year. And I'll bet on MvCI beeing on Disney XD as well, I'm mostly just wondering how Disney will feel about running the EVO finals for three or more fighting games on there channel one right after the other. Seriously, that's a lot of time spent on fighting games!

tbm24

I personally think it will be fun but just not in 2018, simply because people will still be getting acclimated to the game and learning the ins and outs.

2019 and beyond though, that shit is gonna be hype. It happens with every fighting game. Even SFV's finals last year were good but not anything great (IMO). This year was fantastic though.

Y'all crazy. The first major tournament after it releases is going to be bananas during the phase where people figure shit out. Expect to see a bunch of characters and teams that you may not see a year later.

Neoxon

Y'all crazy. The first major tournament after it releases is going to be bananas during the phase where people figure shit out. Expect to see a bunch of characters and teams that you may not see a year later.
But the later years are when we really get the tournament showings that hold up in the long-term.

XenoRaven

Always nice to see the FGC growing.

I wonder what the reactions from meathead sports bros turning on ESPN to see video games were like this year. Reactions last year were a fun read.

Z3M0G

its been much less than $40 several times. think i saw it at $10 just a week or two ago

It was $10 on Amazon a few times and I grabbed a copy. I still couldn't be bothered to keep it... the game felt absolutely empty.

Blows my fucking mind that they didn't just patch in a quick/dirty arcade mode...

RedAssedApe

Banned
It was $10 on Amazon a few times and I grabbed a copy. I still couldn't be bothered to keep it... the game felt absolutely empty.

Blows my fucking mind that they didn't just slap on a quick/dirty arcade mode...

i remember Amazon had it for $10 super close to launch last year. i was salty cuz i had paid full price (well with BB GCU) lol

kirblar

Blows my fucking mind that they didn't just patch in a quick/dirty arcade mode...
The presumption is that they're waiting to launch an actual arcade version to add the mode.

Ninjimbo

Tokido did awesome. But everyone else put on a show as well. It was a glorious Top 8.

I hope this streak of play continues.

RocBase

I see DR2K has learned that GAF apparently hates PopGAF gifs... and has now been adding them to his arsenal of flamebait posts lol

Nahh, I think luce definitely has a point. The first year we'll probably be seeing more people than not running the same early success formula. Only later on when people start labbing and getting more personal with their tech will things really start to get more interesting.

Amazon sold it for $10 then a week later sent an email saying they'd buy it back for $25 with the trade-in program, lol

JusDoIt

Every time somebody says SFV has a watchability problem I'm all

nick-young-confused-face.jpg

I think the only fighting game more fun to watch than SFV is Super Turbo.

Every round of SFV is like watching 1980s Tyson fights.

MechaX

This is a good number.

Hopefully it can lead to showing other games on top of SFV in the future to expand awareness of the FGC.

kirblar

Amazon sold it for $10 then a week later sent an email saying they'd buy it back for $25 with the trade-in program, lol
Back when that happened I bought a few copies and traded em in to Best Buy 2 days later. (along w/ a few other games they dropped on accident) Made a bunch of money.

SmokeMaxX

definitely better than last years. way more character variety from what i watched.

noticed they were still trying to milk that LI Joe storyline this year though lol. how'd he do?

I knocked him into Loser's this year. (TBH I don't think he's been playing much with his new job, but I'll take it lol).

Kikujiro

I'm going to buy the game for the next season. When they revealed Akuma I thought he didn't look great, but I changed my mind watching Tokido's amazing run, probably the best version of Akuma, I really love how he hits hard.

I look forward to NOT seeing this thread on the front page in a half hour, because it's a positive SF5 thread, and GAF rarely has much to say in positive SF5 threads.

jwhit28

That's a lot of people watching Punk getting his soul snatched.
It's hard to feel too bad for a young guy like Punk who won the eleague TBS thing with a similar cash prize when this is Tokido's biggest win after playing since before Punk was even born.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
SFV top 8 was great, it was the second best top 8 this year to me :D Was really good and the grind final was great until punk lost his cool in the final half sadly

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
5 million tuned in to see Punk finally get the U.S a win in SF. Oh wait, wrong timeline.

Great numbers and hopefully things keep getting bigger. It would be a dream to see EVO fully being broadcasted on an ESPN channel.

Top Bottom