• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SFV EVO Finals Watched By 5m Unique Viewers.

kikiribu

Mike Ross heard crying in the distance.

That Top 8 was simply glorious. It's well deserved. Those of us that have been following Tokido's journey with Akuma probably enjoyed it even more.

Arms has a total of 3 viewers on Twitch. That's none of my business tho.

200w.gif
Lmao dat karma tho

MCD250

It's hard to feel too bad for a young guy like Punk who won the eleague TBS thing with a similar cash prize when this is Tokido's biggest win after playing since before Punk was even born.
You right, he probably feels bad enough for the rest of us.

Damn! That's awesome viewership. I've never played a Street Fighter game, but I enjoyed watching it.

How does this compare to the big LoL, CS:GO, and other esports tournaments?

I doubt the gap between the FGC and those games will ever be closed, but I'm curious to know how close or far the numbers still are.

The finals for LoL Worlds 2016 was 14.7 million viewers concurrent. Unique viewers (same statistic as this thread) was 43 million. No idea on CS:GO

mas8705

Kudos to the EVO staff and the Top 8 players for putting on one hell of a performance. Honestly, let's hope that this continues to grow even bigger than it does now. Not just because "it is Capcom," but the idea that this was an impressive showing for eSports in general since it was a showcase on actual TV channels. Definitely would love to see how much bigger the viewership can be for next year.

JusDoIt

That doesn't add up. Sounds pretty pathetic. But it's Aris, so who knows if he's serious.

He can't be. He's basically saying more people tune in to watch top level players lose at bad games than they do to tune in and watch top level players win at good ones.

Street Fighter is such a staple, that I don't even watch for the game anymore, I watch for the players. I love Tokido, and you can tell Punk was very emotional after he lost

meerak

LOL a majority of SFV in a nutshell

So, you don't understand fighting games I guess? That's ok dude. There are lots of places you can go to learn what's happening in this gif. One of the best things about SFV is how easy it is to learn about the game with all the community support out there!

Csr

EVO top 8 was pretty fun, my favorite top 8(any game) this year, but that's usually not the case in SFV season 2. I'd say, if EVO was a 9/10 most top 8s this season have been 3 or 4/10. ELeauge was fun, but that was more so due to the production team doing a great job.

This is how i feel as well.

Csr

I assume Aris meant that people watch it for the rivalries, watching your favorite players fight each other, seeing who is the strongest.
I know that for me that is the only reason i watch sfv these days.

I assume Aris meant that people watch it for the rivalries, watching your favorite players fight each other, seeing who is the strongest.
No one is doing that en masse or enough to cover a significant portion of viewers. That's like watching football because you like one of the players. You'd still have to sit through a football match and spend time with it.

I think Aris is joking but that excuse has been floated for so long and it's really just sour grapes at this point.

Skilletor

He can't be. He's basically saying more people tune in to watch top level players lose at bad games than they do to tune in and watch top level players win at good ones.

That sounds like what people are saying.

I dunno...I have better things to do with my time than to watch something I hate and then bitch about it.

lol. Okay.

kikiribu

What does he even have to do with any of this?
I heard he was talking quite a bit of shit on floe's stream recently. It's not really a secret that he hates SFV, by the way. I thought you of all people would know this, seeing how you're both so similar.

ghibli99

Nice! Even I got into EVO this year.

Base SFV is $20 digital at Amazon and Gamestop right now. S1's character pack (2016) is $10 at those two places as well.
Okay, gonna bite on this after being out of actually playing fighting games for many years now (to be perfectly honest, I haven't really touched one since the early SF4 days, and that was just barely)... I have an old PS3 Hori RAP3, so hopefully that'll work for me on my PS4.

Csr

No one is doing that en masse or enough to cover a significant portion of viewers. That's like watching football because you like one of the players. You'd still have to sit through a football match and spend time with it.

I think Aris is joking but that excuse has been floated for so long and it's really just sour grapes at this point.

Do you have any statistics for your first sentence or is it as meaningless as Aris's statement?

I only speak for myself when i say why i watch sfv tournaments, the few times i actually watch them and yes i used to watch sports because i had gotten attached to certain teams or players and i thought the rivalries between teams were interesting, even though at some other point they started to suck and their matches were boring and i know that a lot of people i hang out with are doing the same.

lol. Okay.

Great shitposting as usual.

Boke1879

Next year should be really good. DBZF should bring in some viewership or maintain it at least and MVC:I think will be fun to watch as well.

Gren

I was out to dinner during SFV top 8. So when I heard Tokido won & went straight to watch GFs, there was no way the previous matches we're topping that.

Great set, wish I could've watched the whole thing luve on TV.

So, you don't understand fighting games I guess? That's ok dude. There are lots of places you can go to learn what's happening in this gif. One of the best things about SFV is how easy it is to learn about the game with all the community support out there!

giphy.gif

Do you have any statistics for your first sentence or is it as meaningless as Aris's statement?

I only speak for myself when i say why i watch sfv tournaments, the few times i actually watch them and yes i used to watch sports because i had gotten attached to certain teams or players and i thought the rivalries between teams were interesting, even though at some other point they started to suck and their matches were boring and i know that a lot of people i hang out with are doing the same.

Great shitposting as usual.

Do YOU or Aris have any stats to back up your claims? Because y'all were the ones bringing up this ludicrous commentary about how most viewers are hate watching the game/only watch it for the players. This is like some flat earth shit.

It's weird how other sports or games don't get hate watched. Or have people watching because they like the players en masse. It's just strange how you mentioned yourself as one, but most people who watch football like the game enough to keep tuning in.

And it's just weird how, despite how much SFV sucks and everyone just watches it to see the players play (which like, makes no sense because you are sitting there watching a thing you don't like because of some video game celebs), the game still gets thousands and thousands of viewers.

It's just strange.

Take the hint!

Csr

Do YOU or Aris have any stats to back up your claims? Because y'all were the ones bringing up this ludicrous commentary about how most viewers are hate watching the game/only watch it for the players. This is like some flat earth shit.

It's weird how other sports or games don't get hate watched. Or have people watching because they like the players en masse. It's just strange how you mentioned yourself as one, but most people who watch football like the game enough to keep tuning in.

And it's just weird how, despite how much SFV sucks and everyone just watches it to see the players play (which like, makes no sense because you are sitting there watching a thing you don't like because of some video game celebs), the game still gets thousands and thousands of viewers.

It's just strange.

Take the hint!

Who are you talking to?
I already said that what Aris said was meaningless because he doesn't have statistics either.

Football or any other sport doesn't change the way the game is played every few years the comparison doesn't make sense the way you want it to.
The thing that changes is the people that consist the teams and their performance and even though teams go through periods where they play badly there are still people watching.

edit : For what it is worth, i don't think there are that many people who hate the game and still watch it i just don't agree with the narrative that people that express dislike for sfv don't actually dislike it and they still watch it for that reason.

More people watch SF5 than actually stick with fighting games that are perceived as better. It's true, you ask them why they don't actually try to play one that is better than SF5, they'll give you a ton of excuses.

Who are you talking to?
I already said that what Aris said was meaningless because he doesn't have statistics either.

Football or any other sport doesn't change the way the game is played every few years the comparison doesn't make sense the way you want it to.
The thing that changes is the people that consist the teams and their performance and even though teams go through periods where they play badly there are still people watching.

edit : For what it is worth, i don't think there are that many people who hate the game and still watch it i just don't agree with the narrative that people that express dislike for sfv don't actually dislike it and they still watch it for that reason.

Yeah, and then you referenced my quote as a meaningless too, which makes no sense because it's logically more sound than Aris and wouldn't need stats to back it up. That's why I think it's some flat earth level conspiracy shit. Really not fair to compare my comment to the level of Aris, but whatever.

Sure, maybe my analogy isn't 1:1 with the sports thing. That's why I mentioned video games in that same post you just quoted.

And for what it's worth, I never said there aren't out there watching primarily for Punk or other players. People have various reasons as to why they watch something. But to assume it's because it's for the players mostly, that's absurd. If dozens are doing that, cool. But the assumption that people have been hate watching/ watching for players as the biggest reason for the majority of the viewers is outright dumb. Those numbers aren't coming from a bunch of dudes who are wiling to sit there day after day, tournament after tournament, and view a game they hate because they think Tokido is a cool dude.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Should I text Seth Killian? He's a pretty cool dude, fun to drink with too. Shit why did I even go to Evo twice? WHAT WAS GOING ONNNN

Top Bottom