• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SFV EVO Finals Watched By 5m Unique Viewers.

Csr

Yeah, and then you referenced my quote as a meaningless too, which makes no sense because it's logically more sound than Aris and wouldn't need stats to back it up. That's why I think it's some flat earth level conspiracy shit. Really not fair to compare my comment to the level of Aris, but whatever.

Sure, maybe my analogy isn't 1:1 with the sports thing. That's why I mentioned video games in that same post you just quoted.

And for what it's worth, I never said there aren't out there watching primarily for Punk or other players. People have various reasons as to why they watch something. But to assume it's because it's for the players mostly, that's absurd. If dozens are doing that, cool. But the assumption that people have been hate watching/ watching for players as the biggest reason for the majority of the viewers is outright dumb. Those numbers aren't coming from a bunch of dudes who are wiling to sit there day after day, tournament after tournament, and view a game they hate because they think Tokido is a cool dude.

In that clip he talked specifically about the haters and why they might watch the game and his statement, if he actually meant the rivalries and the personalities, i think is very possible. You on the other hand are talking about the majority of the spectators. I don't think it is that unfair to compare the validity of those statements given that both of you are making assumptions of something that is possible. If he was talking about the majority of the spectators then i might agree with you..

I think people who actually don't like the gameplay are hardcore fg players mostly and there aren't that many of them.

Makai

So, you don't understand fighting games I guess? That's ok dude. There are lots of places you can go to learn what's happening in this gif. One of the best things about SFV is how easy it is to learn about the game with all the community support out there!
image.php

kikiribu

More people watch SF5 than actually stick with fighting games that are perceived as better. It's true, you ask them why they don't actually try to play one that is better than SF5, they'll give you a ton of excuses.
"Excuses", or reasons that you don't want to accept? Seems like a salty post, tbh. Only Street Fighter plays like Street Fighter, and only Street Fighter has the iconic Street Fighter characters they grew up with. That's the biggest reason they don't drop the game. Then there's that other thing where the game is seeing constant changes and is not the same game it was a year ago, with recent leaks hinting at much bigger things. And then there's that other thing where the legendary Street Fighter players that fans love to watch are playing Street Fighter 5 and are either learning from them, enjoying their success, or both.

Whew lad, it's all so complicated.

"Excuses", or reasons that you don't to accept? Seems like a salty post, tbh. Only Street Fighter plays like Street Fighter, and only Street Fighter has the iconic Street Fighter characters they grew up with. That's the biggest reason they don't drop the game. Then there's that other thing where the game is seeing constant changes is not the same game it was a year ago, with recent leaks hinting at much bigger things. And then there's that other thing where the legendary Street Fighter players that fans love to watch are playing Street Fighter 5 and are either learning from them, enjoying their success, or both.

Dude, I've play most fighting game releases and I even ask people to play and try to introduce them to more things. I even play SF5 and sign for it at tournaments (I'm dumb enough to sign up for like 5 games each time at EVO). Like even during SF4 era, people complain a lot about a game, and online you can see people always say something like "play VF, GG, KOF, etc", games with legacy basically close to 2 decades old, but when it comes down to it, they don't. A lot of people think VF is some hardcore game, it actually isn't that hard to start playing. People think KOF is crazy at entry level because of it's combos, believe it or not it is easier to get a simple bnb because most of the time you don't need to link. A lot of people have perceptions of other games without much experience that you get this kind of echo chamber that makes them hesitant to try something else, even if they have qualms with what they are currently doing.

It may sound like salt (I'm really not, because tbh SF5 is actually a game I can have fun with still and I even play sets with people in person when I get a chance) but it's a firsthand anecdote that is pretty much true. It gets the most entrants with the most visible enmity toward it from its players, even though we are pretty much in a golden age of fighting games.

Like what the fuck do you think I am in denial of? Everything besides actually playing the game has been a misstep and the gameplay is a real subjective point for many players since it can feel too offensive. If people are actively complaining they have avenues to try other things, and I encourage it. More games would love support too.

kikiribu

Dude, I've play most fighting game releases and I even ask people to play and try to introduce them to more things. I even play SF5 and sign for it at tournaments (I'm dumb enough to sign up for like 5 games each time at EVO). Like even during SF4 era, people complain a lot about a game, and online you can see people always say something like "play VF, GG, KOF, etc", games with legacy basically close to 2 decades old, but when it comes down to it, they don't. A lot of people think VF is some hardcore game, it actually isn't that hard to start playing. People think KOF is crazy at entry level because of it's combos, believe it or not it is easier to get a simple bnb because most of the time you don't need to link. A lot of people have perceptions of other games without much experience that you get this kind of echo chamber that makes them hesitant to try something else, even if they have qualms with what they are currently doing.

It may sound like salt (I'm really not, because tbh SF5 is actually a game I can have fun with still and I even play sets with people in person when I get a chance) but it's a firsthand anecdote that is pretty much true. It gets the most entrants with the most visible enmity toward it from it's players, even though we are pretty much in a golden age of fighting games.

Like what the fuck do you think I am in denial of? Everything besides actually playing the game has been a misstep and the gameplay is a real subjective point for many players since it can feel too offensive. If people are actively complaining they have avenues to try other things, and I encourage it. More games would love support too.
They don't play those other games simply because they don't want to. Let the people decide what they want to play. Don't critique them and tell them they're wrong for it and that they're making excuses just because they stick with something they prefer. It's not your problem.

If games like Guilty Gear Xrd and King of Fighters don't get enough attention and are considered dead, then the interest just isn't there.

Alucrid

Banned
http://i.imgur.com/JevX9wz.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

it's pretty disingenuous to post that as an example of high level street fighter v play. but i get why you did it because you obviously hate the game and want to see it fail. so in order to actually convince people that high level street fighter v gameplay is fun to watch i'll provide my own evidence

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/1BSIbDp.gif

JusDoIt

it's pretty disingenuous to post that as an example of high level street fighter v play. but i get why you did it because you obviously hate the game and want to see it fail. so in order to actually convince people that high level street fighter v gameplay is fun to watch i'll provide my own evidence

1BSIbDp.gif

You're trying to clown, but I had a lot of fun watching that set.

I play Laura, tho.

1BSIbDp.gif

Is this high level play? That move (st.MK) is -2 on block and comes out in 5 frames lol. Karin player doesn't know the matchup for shit.

"Excuses", or reasons that you don't want to accept? Seems like a salty post, tbh. Only Street Fighter plays like Street Fighter, and only Street Fighter has the iconic Street Fighter characters they grew up with. That's the biggest reason they don't drop the game. Then there's that other thing where the game is seeing constant changes and is not the same game it was a year ago, with recent leaks hinting at much bigger things. And then there's that other thing where the legendary Street Fighter players that fans love to watch are playing Street Fighter 5 and are either learning from them, enjoying their success, or both.

Whew lad, it's all so complicated.

If I don't like something, I dont play it.

Is this high level play? That move (st.MK) is -2 on block and comes out in 5 frames lol. Karin player doesn't know the matchup for shit.

In case you're serious, it's Punk vs Idom at the Grand Finals of Defend the North. Took place last week.
I'm not a juggalo, there's no clowns here. Who doesn't like to see Punk get 3-0'd ending on a perfect?
After all, the upsets are why we watch SFV in the first place!

JusDoIt

You can actually tell Idom was a bit nervous because he could have punished that blocked sweep with crHP (which maybe he was going for when that whiffed stHP came out?).

JusDoIt

They all suck.

Please pick a good character or you can get easily frustrated.

You can't go wrong right now with Balrog or Necalli.

But pretty much any characters BESIDES the 4 listed above are fine to play.

FANG isn't bottom tier no more. He's just at the bottom of mid-tier...

I think Juri is the only one really struggling right now.

As someone who plays FANG.

No. He is still shit. If you can't do consistent damage in this game then you're shit. FANG still has an easier time of it than Juri, but that's not saying much.

JusDoIt

As someone who plays FANG.

No. He is still shit. If you can't do consistent damage in this game then you're shit. FANG still has an easier time of it than Juri, but that's not saying much.

He does need damage buffs. And his v-skill is probably the most useless in the game. Next to Ryu's. And Juri's.

JayEH

They all suck.

Please pick a good character or you can get easily frustrated.

You can't go wrong right now with Balrog or Necalli.

But pretty much any characters BESIDES the 4 listed above are fine to play.

I don't think you should discourage anyone from playing any character when first starting out. You can have fun with even a "bad" character. It's about what appeals to you.

I don't think you should discourage anyone from playing any character when first starting out. You can have fun with even a "bad" character. It's about what appeals to you.
lol who plays fighting games to have fun.

He does need damage buffs. And his v-skill is probably the most useless in the game. Next to Ryu's. And Juri's.
They either need to remove his poison and make him a full on frametrap based character, or make his poison good and make that the most consistent source of damage for this character.

This flip-floppy bullshit where he's good at a few things but shit where it counts (actually getting damage, zoning) is horrible.

This is reminding me how lightning hot a mic combo Yipes and Eli was. Completely off-topic yet always on point.

More people watch SF5 than actually stick with fighting games that are perceived as better. It's true, you ask them why they don't actually try to play one that is better than SF5, they'll give you a ton of excuses.

The dark forest some keep missing.

Just know what you're getting into and bear responsibility for playing on a "hard mode" as it were.

Aka 5 million people opened up twitch and gave them a view cause it was on the main page + the people who channel surfed past it on cable. Bullshit #, we already know it had less than 500K maximum concurrent views across all platforms. It's average was around 300K.

Zackat

Aka 5 million people opened up twitch and gave them a view cause it was on the main page + the people who channel surfed past it on cable. Bullshit #, we already know it had less than 500K maximum concurrent views across all platforms. It's average was around 300K.

not that I don't believe you, but where did you see this info?

HeelPower

The internet is so full of (irrational)hate when it comes to SFV.Almost any youtube video translates to complaints.

I find it super fun to watch,despite quiting the game early because I dont have time to get good.

Boke1879

ESPN2 and Disney XD had a higher viewership than twitch if I'm reading the OP right.

Shadoken

Gee I wonder why people didn't just randomly open up twitch and give other games a view coz Evo stream was on the main page.

MechaX

I want to know what they were thinking when they were like "We need Juri to charge up this fireball that goes 30% of the screen and have it do as much damage as most people's light attacks."

No, I will not let what they did to Juri go.

I don't even play SFV for real, but I see you.

Ok. Download of SFV completed. Completed the intro tutorial with Ryu and Ken.

Then I earned a trophy for completing the intro tutorial????

I'll spend more time with the game later tonight or over the weekend. Looking forward to this.

Here's a guide on using your Fight Money to get the DLC characters.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1408614&highlight=fight+money

Honestly don't spend your FM on stages especially if you play online. You will see them if your opponent has them as their favorites.
Thank you. This is especially insightful. I'm going to play offline more for the time being.

Nuu

Banned
Surprising as the top 8 was pretty weak. Only good thing about it was Tokido whooping Punk's ass.

Ok. Download of SFV completed. Completed the intro tutorial with Ryu and Ken.

Then I earned a trophy for completing the intro tutorial????

I'll spend more time with the game later tonight or over the weekend. Looking forward to this.

Thank you. This is especially insightful. I'm going to play offline more for the time being.

Is this your first SF? Or did you just wait with SFV?

Top Bottom