• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow Complex Remastered (PC) appears on PEGI website.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Honestly the other day browsing the X1 digital store I swear I saw the Shadow Complex logo pop up. I resigned it to it being a BC thing or me falling deeper into insanity or something.

jimboton

I must be the only one* who thought this was rather mediocre as far as Metroidvanias go and suspect it was only popular because it came out in a time where there was a drought of them (not so much anymore). Everything about it was just so... bland.

* I know I am not literally the only one on Earth, thanks

I agree completely. Not sure who should care about this in a post Axiom Verge, post Ori, post La-Mulana (and so many others) world

Well sure. But try to imagine, say, a KS of this game being presented today, after all the Metroidvanias we've had. I'm almost certain no one would give a shit. So I think timing does have something to do with the game's popularity.

oh no, i mean. I agree with you. I hate this game and i think people who like it are way too easily impressed: i.e. game reviewers at the time.

brad shoemaker never shuts up about this game. i think if anyone ever played a good metroid game in their life, and actually played it and understood why it was good, they'd obviously see this game has no chance against any of them

Although morally I don't know if I'd buy this because I think Orson Scott Card is a complete and utter waste of oxygen, so a bit divided on this.
I skipped the original release because of the Orson Scott Card association, but I've heard on GAF since that he has pretty much nothing to do with Shadow Complex. That his tie this game is pretty much just that ChAIR worked with him on other projects. I don't know how accurate that is though, so feel free to correct me.

Psyren

It may not be the best metroidvania game out (even at the time of release, and at the time i had the ability to purchase this game), but it got my attention because it was a simple, to-the-point, and tight little package.

There wasn't any bullshit that wasted my time, no arbitrary mechanics, no excessive stonewalling, and the game played and controlled nicely. Sometimes, simple and tight is all that's necessary to be a really enjoyable experience.

It may not be the best metroidvania game out (even at the time of release, and at the time i had the ability to purchase this game), but it got my attention because it was a simple, to-the-point, and tight little package.

There wasn't any bullshit that wasted my time, no arbitrary mechanics, no excessive stonewalling, and the game played and controlled nicely. Sometimes, simple and tight is all that's necessary to be a really enjoyable experience.

good point, and well said. i hadn't considered that.

el87

This is so good!

This is one of the 360 exclusives I always had on the list of to-play if I ever get my hands on 360

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Is this real? I loved this game so much when I had a 360 and was always so sad when I got rid of it that I couldn't play it anymore. I hope this is true.

Next we need Scott Pilgrim and the Simpsons Arcade games on PC. Well at least Scott Pilgrim. So sad I could never play it. It came out after I got rid of my 360.

poodaddy

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! I'm gonna buy multiple copies of this shit, friends need to know! This and Marvel VS Capcom 2 are literally the reasons I still own a 360, now if only Marvel would decide to start showing PC gamers a little love my life would truly be complete.
No the recent shit Spider man games and Deadpool game do not count.

poodaddy

Is this real? I loved this game so much when I had a 360 and was always so sad when I got rid of it that I couldn't play it anymore. I hope this is true.

Next we need Scott Pilgrim and the Simpsons Arcade games on PC. Well at least Scott Pilgrim. So sad I could never play it. It came out after I got rid of my 360.

I feel for you brother, Scott Pilgrim is a lot of fun. My crazy ass got it on both 360 and PS3, and I'm glad I did just for posterity though I never thought they'd take it off the digital stores. If you lived in the southern Seattle area I'd say bring a six pack over and let's get some co-op going, lord knows I don't have anyone to game with anymore lol.

Yukinari

Im pretty sure i bought Shadow Complex when it was new, beat it in a few days then forgot everything about it.

I dont know why it just doesnt stick out to me as a memorable metroidvania game.

Ratrat

Always wanted to play this. Totally forgot I have a 360 now...

Were there any issues with the 360 version that would make playing it on pc considerably better?

Red

When I first finished Shadow Complex I was ranked 9th on the leaderboards. I liked the foam gun. You are awesomely powerful by the end game, invincibly running between neck snaps. I enjoyed that. I remember finding a lot of bugs. Sequence breaks were sometimes accounted for (again, thank you foam gun), but I occasionally wound up in spots where I could no longer backtrack or progress. I remember one door was set to open only if you approached it from one direction. I did something too quickly once and wound up on the wrong side, so the door was open when I was distant and closed when I approached it. But for as rough as it sometimes was, I enjoyed it. I think overall I agree with Miker, on the last page.

LewieP

I wonder if they will release a demo for the remaster and then I wonder if you will be able to glitch out the demo to let you play the full game. Like you could in the demo for the original release.

PaulloDEC

Wow, and I thought the wait for Alan Wake on PC was a long one.

Anyway, great news. Looking forward to finally checking this one out.

Crub

I agree completely. Not sure who should care about this in a post Axiom Verge, post Ori, post La-Mulana (and so many others) world

I haven't played Shadow Complex myself so I can't speak on its quality, but the game's legacy will be enough to sell it. Being released in XBLA's heyday as one of the service's flagship titles, and in a time when there weren't as many good alternatives, people have fond memories of it.

I think it's pretty safe to say the game wouldn't have been quite as big a hit if it debuted today.

Portman

Great find! This is the game that I kept a 360 around for. Looking forward to finishing the game finally and hoping for an announcement of a sequel if the story sets it up for one.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Please be an UE4 remaster with the complete art and design overhaul. I mean, for Christ's sake, Bionic Commando Rearmed looks better than this, still looks good today and it's 7 years old now. I'm sure it's not that hard to make a complete UE4 remaster.

P.S. Day 1.

What if... This is gearing up for a Game Award (or even PSX) announcement... You know... Kinda like "We're here tonight to announce Shadow Complex 2 and to keep you busy while were workng on it, here's a remaster of the original".

Also... Something something about Spreadsheets.

This seems quite plausible. Regardless, Day 0 for the PC release.

Played it again when BC was put on the preview program on Xbox One, finally 100% it. Fantastic game. Sad we never got a sequel.

jelly

I want a sequel!

Played so many times and it's still great but new game please. Hurry up and fail at something Chair and do another one.

Wonder what they're doing that makes it a remaster...

Honestly the other day browsing the X1 digital store I swear I saw the Shadow Complex logo pop up. I resigned it to it being a BC thing or me falling deeper into insanity or something.

You likely did. When you click into the 'browse all games' option from the front page of the games store, the 'recommended for you' listings tend to briefly appear in the top row right below the featured items only to be quickly pushed down to the bottom of the page. Shadow Complex, along with every other officially listed BC title and their corresponding DLC, are all on the store and you can search for them and install or start them from there, but you cannot buy them from the X1 store yet.

Top Bottom