• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHADOW OF THE COLOSSUS |PS4 OT| The things we (re)do for love

BANGS

Banned
Not true really. I played this game originally on the PS2 years ago and had that mentality. Just rode from Colossus to Colossus without even bothering to look around.
But with the PS3 remaster, I remember spending a significant amount of time riding around getting lost, and just taking everything in. I loved every second of it. Being lost in the beautiful world they created.
With this remake, it's even more breathtaking to behold. And with Photomode? Forget about it.

It's very easy to get lost in the beauty of this gigantic, barren land. There's a bit of magic to that.
Different strokes. I didn't buy this game to be an amateur photographer, and I don't find the landscape very impressive. Especially with all the gross immersion breaking environmental pop in when running on the horse. The waterfalls, from far away, look damn impressive. That's about it honestly. There's really nothing that grasps my interest...

The PS2 version on the other hand had me a gripped a bit more in that way. I didn't mind getting lost for a bit because the graphics for it's time were mind blowing. But still, I'd consider it a flaw if you were ever on a second playthrough or whatever...

A.Romero

I'm a big fan of the original release. One of the few games that I actually played through several times and the first game that made me think vidyas could be artistic. I spent a few hours with the game this weekend and these are few notes:

It looks amazing. I normally play games on PC so I'm not normally impressed by graphics (with a few exceptions like Uncharted 4) and it might be the art direction but the game seems pretty to me. I'm playing on a regular PS4 so I can't play anything above 1080P and 30 FPS but that's enough to appreciate it. It must be crazy on a Pro.

It still evokes lots of emotions. I played this game originally during my college years on a 14 inch CRT monitor. Now, 15 years later I can play it on a 55 HDR screen with a decent enough home theater so in a way it makes me think about all I've gone through my personal life and how despite many things changing I still love playing games. It made me feel guilty, excited, scared, fearful, lonely and happy in different parts. For example, I remember well the Colossus at the lake as it is one of my favourites but the new graphics make it feel fresh and exciting again. The sense of speed while soaring in the sky it's a much different experience from the original thanks to the graphics and the sounds that the Colossi do (I don't remember them sounding that way).

Something seems off about the controls. It might be my memory playing tricks. I'm not sure exactly what it is and I'm not saying it is necessarily bad... It's just different.

The music it's great as always, It matches the atmosphere of the game perfectly.

Just as when it first came out, this game is not for everyone. I get how some people might be disappointed about the barren wasteland and the fact that there are only 16 enemies to beat. I've always felt that the point of this game wasn't to entertain in the way other ways do. It's telling a story and that story requires the world to be like this. I think Fumito Ueda was able to keep a very focused vision about it and it meant to leave out several things that can be found in other games such as GTA. It's a game that you need to try to find out if you like it or not.

I think I just killed the 10th Colossus. I don't want it to end!

Rodolink

Is something wrong with my PS4Pro?, cinematic mode drops to like 18-20 fps, trust me I can tell the difference between fps and it doesnt feel at 30 fps at all

nowhat

Is something wrong with my PS4Pro?, cinematic mode drops to like 18-20 fps, trust me I can tell the difference between fps and it doesnt feel at 30 fps at all
I've only noticed performance issues in the "hub" (which is kind of inexplicable, there are much more taxing areas). Perhaps rebuilding the database could help, your HDD may be too fragmented?

As a side note, why not performance mode? At least in this instance I'll gladly take 60fps over a slight resolution bump.

sublimit

Banned
For me this game has the most beautiful aesthetic ever seen in a game. Bluepoint did an amazing job staying true to the original especially regarding the environments and atmosphere of the world.

I have some nitpickings though but first i want to compare them side by side with the PS2 original before i can have a solid opinion.I did encounter some (funny) glitches though.In the area of the 2nd colossus Agro stopped moving and when i went on foot Wander's movement went crazy! Eventually i got out from that glitch without having to restart the game. As funny as that was i hope i will not encounter something like that in the rest of the game.

I'm currently on the 4th colossus even though i have had the game since launch.I'm taking my sweet time and exploring every nook and crany in that serene and beautiful world,taking countless photos,climbing in the most weird places and searching for coins (that was a nice addition even though i have no idea what their purpose is.)

Overall this game is a phenomenal work from Bluepoint and it deserves all of its success.

BANGS

Banned
It must be crazy on a Pro.

It's not, just increases frame rate which is very nice, but you still notice all the draw distance issues... Haven't tried "cinematic mode" because sacrificing framerate for resolution seems really silly IMO...

Something seems off about the controls. It might be my memory playing tricks. I'm not sure exactly what it is and I'm not saying it is necessarily bad... It's just different.
The buttons are slightly remapped, you can change them back to the original via options. TBH none of the available setups make sense to me and I wish they let us customize them, but you do eventually get used to the controls over time...

TannerDemoz

I got stuck in a tree the other day and had to reset. Character fell into the falling animation. Can climb a 100ft monolithic creatures but can't climb a 10ft tree. Logic.

(Game looks INCREDIBLE though).

Mostly blown away by the soundtrack.

Rodolink

I've only noticed performance issues in the "hub" (which is kind of inexplicable, there are much more taxing areas). Perhaps rebuilding the database could help, your HDD may be too fragmented?

As a side note, why not performance mode? At least in this instance I'll gladly take 60fps over a slight resolution bump.

Yeah I have no idea what could be, I prefer performance mode though, I was just trying out the cinematic mode and was surprised how bad it run. Maybe my PS4 pro has a PS4 inside and got cheated :(

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
I just finished this game. First time I've played it. Awesome game. The ending took me by surprise. Great ending.
The horned baby was nuts. My wife saw that part and was like "wtf is this?"

BANGS

Banned
I just finished this game. First time I've played it. Awesome game. The ending took me by surprise. Great ending.
The horned baby was nuts. My wife saw that part and was like "wtf is this?"
There's a reason they're called
Team Ico...

scydrex

I got stuck in a tree the other day and had to reset. Character fell into the falling animation. Can climb a 100ft monolithic creatures but can't climb a 10ft tree. Logic.

(Game looks INCREDIBLE though).

Mostly blown away by the soundtrack.

It´s a PS2 game... maybe that is why this happens and he character can´t climb those little objects.

A.Romero

The buttons are slightly remapped, you can change them back to the original via options. TBH none of the available setups make sense to me and I wish they let us customize them, but you do eventually get used to the controls over time...

Thanks for the info. I did notice there were different control schemes. Maybe I used the wrong term (English is my second language). The character moves slightly different from what I remember. Some stuff works better and some not so much. For example, mounting Agro works better, I remember several times I tried to mount Agro on the original release or the PS3 release and having Wanderer jump instead of mount. On the other hand, I don't remember climbing was so problematic before...

It might be my memory, though... At least I still recall how to beat every Colossus.

BANGS

Banned
Thanks for the info. I did notice there were different control schemes. Maybe I used the wrong term (English is my second language). The character moves slightly different from what I remember. Some stuff works better and some not so much. For example, mounting Agro works better, I remember several times I tried to mount Agro on the original release or the PS3 release and having Wanderer jump instead of mount. On the other hand, I don't remember climbing was so problematic before...

It might be my memory, though... At least I still recall how to beat every Colossus.
Yeah climbing does seem to be a bit more shaky in this one, but I don't know how much of that is just bad memory...

Tevious

I played The Last Guardian last year and enjoyed it a lot, despite the frustrating controls for Trico. I never played Shadow of the Colossus back in the day and never got around to playing the PS3 HD version I bought in a PSN sale. I just completed ICO for the first time on my PS3 in preparation for this remake, so I'll finally be starting this today. I could definitely see the influences ICO had on TLG, but I think this one may be a little bit different.

A.Romero

I never understood the difficulty people have with the controls. I have beat the game in hard difficulty and I have never had any issue with the controls.

I have beat it in hard difficulty as well on the PS2 release but on this version it feels different. I wouldn't say terrible but still.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I have beat it in hard difficulty as well on the PS2 release but on this version it feels different. I wouldn't say terrible but still.
The only time I had time controls was it first got release on PS2 and I was playing the first time. the controls felt very weird back then but once i got used to it had no further problem with controls.

Anyone had any errors playing this game? I was fighting the 14th colossus when it froze and send me back to the PS4 home with a CE-something error. Goddamn it's a long walk from the stone arch gouge where I prayed to there.

SirNinja

Anyone had any errors playing this game? I was fighting the 14th colossus when it froze and send me back to the PS4 home with a CE-something error. Goddamn it's a long walk from the stone arch gouge where I prayed to there.
Haven't had any in about 80+ hours of play so far. Sorry to hear :( At least you saved partway through!

Missed out on the original and the ps3 remake. Finally experiencing this game on PS4.

Its mimimalistic but it has been an awesome experience. I am drip feeding myself these colossus because its a small game i dont want to finish in one sitting.

Agree with the frustrating controls. I find the camera very annoying too. Constantly panning itself to get a cinematic shot. Beautiful but annoying as hell

Haven't had any in about 80+ hours of play so far. Sorry to hear :( At least you saved partway through!

Finished the game and had no other issues. I have no idea what happened, he hit one of the towers and as it was going down I tried to climb on the ledge and maybe the game got confused lol. I'm going to go for the collectibles now, SOTC is my favorite game of all time and I literally cannot believe how good this version is (and I was a heavy skeptic at first for idiotic purist reasons).

scydrex

Finished the game yesterday for the first time. Loved the game and that ending surprised me. Still hated 2 Colossus because of the controls. Those controls are bad...sure they let you play the game but still they are bad. The camera? I always had to fix the camera (17th Colossus) the camera is awful. Played the game on Pro 1080p 60fps the graphics is amazing for what is it without HDR.

BANGS

Banned
I haven't had anything too significant, just alot of graphical/animation crap. I've seen tons of horror stories on youtube tho...

Horns

Picked it up last night and blew through the first three bosses. Very impressed with this. Much more impressed with this than the PS3 remake.

Last edited:
Obtained platinum a few days ago. This game deserves the time to get the plat for it + the platinum sits nicely as a compliment to the special edition...

What is everyone's favourite and most hated colossus? For me all the smaller, agile colossi creeps me out. When you are so infused into the game and that ever-looming danger as soon as you turn back or not that the smaller, faster colossus will just catch up with you and knock you out...

My most hated colossus is colossus # 11 but still was able to defeat it in under 2mins on hard mode time attack, I guess when you conquer fears, you elevate....

Here's me doing it:

Bryank75

Banned
I'm at the huge four legged spider that you have to knock over with water spouts but he won't follow me.... he just stands there firing projectiles. Hmmm

BANGS

Banned
I'm at the huge four legged spider that you have to knock over with water spouts but he won't follow me.... he just stands there firing projectiles. Hmmm
Yeah he's kind of a pain in the ass like that... Kinda just gotta keep trying. Stay on Argo so you can dodge the blasts, then get close when he's above a spout...

Bryank75

Banned
Yeah he's kind of a pain in the ass like that... Kinda just gotta keep trying. Stay on Argo so you can dodge the blasts, then get close when he's above a spout...
I had to take a break from him last night... he was painful. Was plain sailing till him though. Thanks for the tips!

Last edited:

A.Romero

Just finished the game a couple of days a go (on normal) and I enjoyed the experiencie a lot. I think I'm going to put it on a shelf for a while before trying the trophies.

I think there was a lot of effort put on the game and it's worth playing it.

sublimit

Banned
Have you tried shooting him with arrows in order to make him follow you?It's always a good way to aggro most of the colossus.

I had to take a break from it last night... it was painful. Was plain sailing till him though. Thanks for the tips!

When the fight starts, just get on Agro and dash straight towards one of the geyser, get off Agro and start shooting arrows in its direction. It will follow you, just keep enough distance between you and the geyser so that the colossus doesn't stop before it.

Bryank75

Banned
When the fight starts, just get on Agro and dash straight towards one of the geyser, get off Agro and start shooting arrows in its direction. It will follow you, just keep enough distance between you and the geyser so that the colossus doesn't stop before it.
I will try just as you describe but it sounds pretty similar to what I was doing. Wish I had my Diablos hammer....

Hinedorf

Banned
One of my all time favorite games in rather accidental fashion I stumbled upon my original PS2 copy/Case. I've now bought this game for PS2, PS3, and PS4. Please stop making it so I can save my money!

Three

The tone of that pdf is hilarious 😄👌

Screenshot-20190406-140816-Drive.jpg

BOOM, stop being a little bitch.

psorcerer

Banned
So, got it for free on PS Plus.
Played it on PS2 at a launch time, JAP import. One of the best games ever.
Now to the port: it's terrible.
Controls are way off, collisions suck balls, a lot of animation fuckups, I would say that the game is in pretty unplayable state.
Wasted almost a hour on the third Collossus because none of the strategies form original worked (double jump grabs, camera swings).
And that camera, fuck me sideways. It was pretty terrible in the first game but here it's unbearable.

Last edited:
Top Bottom