• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of the Colossus Trailer PS4 (E3 2017)

gfxtwin

I wonder if Ueda is involved with this at all. Even though I have nitpicks, it looks pretty amazing for a remake that wasn't done by the original team - a team with a visual style that is totally their own and difficult to emulate.

If it's all Bluepoint, I'm so much happier with this than I thought I'd be. They still need to bump up the style at the expense of trying to Horizon Zero Dawn everything, but it's coming along nicely. If nothing else, I will be fine with this being like a shot-for-shot remake of a classic done by a different director (like the original Psycho vs the Van Sant version, only minus the bad casting). If they pack in a 1080 port of the original it will be a win win for me.

Qwyjibo

I think this is more of a 2nd chance for the game to appreciated by a newer audience. The HD shine will surely attract people who are not into these games.
I hope so. It definitely deserves the attention. Although you wonder how many people are left who for some reason didn't play this on PS2 or PS3 and will suddenly be interested in this.

SOTC is amazing but, assuming this is just a straight remake, it's just not all that exciting and I think there is a high potential for this to bomb as a full price game.

The Jason

ITS A REMASTER according to the Playstation blog. Looks incredible.

Day one on PS4 pro for me

One of my all time favorite games

3rh19Esh.png

xmBV778h.jpg

Loxley

ITS A REMASTER according to the Playstation blog. Looks incredible.

Day one on PS4 pro for me

One of my all time favorite games

It looks like a "remaster" in the same way Modern Warfare Remastered was a "remaster". Meaning every asset in the game is recreated from the ground-up. This is not a simple up-rez with higher-rez textures, as with the original PS3 remaster of SOTC. Bluepoint has put some damn work into this (as they always do).

reKon

Banned
I'm so happy we got this. I never finished the original on the PS2. I have the PS3 version as a PS Plus download, but I'd much rather play on the PS4. And now I get a remake?

This, RDR2, Anthem, and more...

2018 just going to continue the moment

Mobius 1

I had a holy shit moment when it popped onscreen, I recognized the bridge in a microsecond. My only concern is preservation of the intended aesthetics and environmental storytelling. It would be a shame if it was lost in the effort to increase visual fidelity. The original made great use of its own limitations.

It's one of 3 games that I always hesitate about seeing remade: SotC, Ico and Vagrant Story.

JMY86

I am looking forward to this. I have tried to play SotC several times but could not because of the shit controls. Bluepoint is good so I hope they can deliver...

CrisKre

It looks great, but it does seem a little redundant. I don't know if I want to replay the game so soon after the collection

kanuuna

Tonemapping and the player character's skintone look different sure, but I really do wonder how close they can get the physics to feel to earlier releases of the game. I never played the PS2 game, but I imagine this is going to feel different from the PS3 version.

StoneFox

As someone who has put over 100 hours on the original release, I'm excited. I'm hoping that it is better than the only-slightly-above-average PS3 port.

Smellycat

Game of the conference for sure. My jaw dropped when I saw the trailer. SOTC is one of my favorite games of all time, and I have been yearning for a remake. Hopefully they will include the unreleased Colossi. (not sure if that will happen though)

Bl@de

I am looking forward to this. I have tried to play SotC several times but could not because of the shit controls. Bluepoint is good so I hope they can deliver...

Same problem. I finished it on PS3 but I never liked the game because of the floaty controls (played the game after MGSV ... bad timing). Maybe I'll give it another chance but I don't think they'll change much aside from graphics.

This was the biggest surprise for me (i didnt read any rumors leading up to e3)

My hand was over my mouth when I realized what it was. It's one of my favorite games of all time, so this is amazing news, and it looks SO GOOD.

SotC with updated visuals was a personal pipe dream of mine that I didn't ever expect to actually happen. Dayum.

Yeah. I even saw the rumors and didn't even know what to make of them since I wanted this so bad.

plip.plop

Blue point really needs to come out with their own game. They are seriously talented over there. This game looks amazing my favorite of the show, with spiderman a close second.

Whos blue point, how have they proven themselves worthy of handling sotc?

2009 God of War Collection (1 and 2 Remastered)
2011 The Ico & Shadow of the Colossus Collection
2011 Metal Gear Solid HD Collection (2,3 and Peace Walker Remastered)
2012 PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale (Vita Port)
2013 Flower (PS4 port)
2014 Titanfall (360 port)
2015 Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection (1-3 Remastered)
2015 Gravity Rush Remastered
2018 Shadow of the Colossus remake

Now that I'm realizing this, they must have been busy with this one if their last title was in 2015.

Highlight of E3 for me.

12 year old game. Amazing.

Please bluepoint - fully remake Ico, you so clearly completely understand Ueda and Team Ico's sensibilities.

Whos blue point, how have they proven themselves worthy of handling sotc?

lol

No offense, it's just kind of a comical post once you have the background

SOTC doesn't need a remake...it still holds up phenomenally

I know where you're coming from, and if anyone else had done it, I would agree. But I think watching the footage in HD, this really is as close to Team Ico remaking it themselves as you could possibly get. Combined with the fact that BP are sooo much more technically competent, and their clear reverence for the source material, I think fans are in for a real treat.

Rewatch the footage in 4K or 1440 if you can - it's just... totally staggering.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I never played it on PS3 but the PS2 version had a frame hitching issue that gave me actual headaches. If ever there was a game in need of a remake with a smooth frame rate, it was this one.

I guess so...the PS3's fps is okay, but the grip on the colossi was ruined.

I'm kinda put out by the idea of this, but i guess i'm coming around...if a remaster with new graphical assets gets new people to try it out...

SeanTSC

One of my biggest, deepest shames - I never actually played SoC, though I think I own the PS3 remaster version.

I will absolutely play the fuck out of this though.

It looks really good, but it's missing the haze the original had. Gave the world a more mysterious look that feels missing in the trailer. Either way, I'm excited.

Top Bottom