• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of the Colossus Trailer PS4 (E3 2017)

BeeDog

This has to be Bluepoint's biggest project so far, right? I have complete faith in them to deliver an amazing remake, but I doubt it will contain any cut content.

Will definitely nab this game since I skipped on the PS3 remasters, but I have to say this type of announcement didn't set my pants on fire.

Lynx_7

Only thing that got me excited from Sony's conference tbh, looks great. Always down for replaying one of the best games of all time.

Shin-Ra

I never played it on PS3 but the PS2 version had a frame hitching issue that gave me actual headaches. If ever there was a game in need of a remake with a smooth frame rate, it was this one.
PS3 version performance is pretty solid as long as you play in 720p.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
It looks really good, but it's missing the haze the original had. Gave the world a more mysterious look that feels missing in the trailer. Either way, I'm excited.

atleast we don't have to deal with the aggressive pop in and over-smattering of bloom that was overly prevalent in 2005 this time to simulate lighting

This made me jump out of my seat and almost drop to my knees, when I thought nothing could matter that much to me in 2017. I am so into it and I needz it.

However, after rewatching the trailer a couple times, I'm not sure I like the way Wanderer looks now. I could be over-scrutinizing (also tired) and it's hard to actually fully see him, but he looks lankier, taller and a little more eurocentric like he was made with thin build Bloodborne options.

Maybe that's just for scale and proportion adjustments, but I just want to make sure I'm still Atreyu from Neverending Story x Anotsu from Blade of the Immortal back:

DCLS3OJUMAIv17B.jpg

DCLS4jtVoAEH8Eu.jpg

Turin

Banned
I actually didn't get the PS3 remaster as it released at a time when I just didn't buy those if I had the original. I'm glad I waited.

Shit like FFVII Remake and Crash have absolutely wrecked understanding of what a remaster is vs. a remake. For ages, a remake was something that upgraded the graphics to a more modern level and maybe added/changed some shit up. While a remaster was just upping the resolution and slapping it onto a new gen of consoles.

Suddenly FFVII decides to go crazy and people need to defend it, so remakes don't mean what they meant for ages before that. Suddenly it's more akin to reboot (for some people), and a remaster means "just changing the graphics".

This is definitely a remake, and it looks hype as hell. I never got SoTC on the PS2, and didn't have a PS3, so this is definitely my time to play it. I'm sad that I already know the twists, but it's without a doubt a paragon of gaming that I need to play myself.

gfxtwin

In order for this game to meet standards it's going to need a more impressive draw distance than Red Dead Redemption AND Horizon and the landscape in the distance will need to look impressionistic.

atleast we don't have to deal with the aggressive pop in and over-smattering of bloom that was overly prevalent in 2005 this time to simulate lighting

The lack of pop in is a blessing. The bloom wasn't like the bloom in any other game though and seemed intentionally stylized to evoke a dreamlike atmosphere if you ask me.

Ludens

Banned
I completed the original one on PS2 35 times, got the Platinum on PS3, I'll take this too but I hope they fixed the screwed PS3 physics.

pretty much the only thing that would kill my hype for this game is if they got rid of the original OST.
there's no way they'd do that right?

Kremzeek

Wow this will be incredible, coming from Bluepoint.

I did not expect this but it's shot to the top of my most wanted list.

Apathy

holy shit I gotta say it looks beautiful, bravo bluepoint.

I wish, even thought I also don't at the same time, they would put in some of the not finished colossi in there

Hesh

Man, I really hope they let Bluepoint put back in the cut Colossi from the original game. That game had some bananas easter eggs and unused areas in that world, would love to see this truly be the "definitive" version of the game and not just a visual upgrade.

Shit like FFVII Remake and Crash have absolutely wrecked understanding of what a remaster is vs. a remake. For ages, a remake was something that upgraded the graphics to a more modern level and maybe added/changed some shit up. While a remaster was just upping the resolution and slapping it onto a new gen of consoles.

Suddenly FFVII decides to go crazy and people need to defend it, so remakes don't mean what they meant for ages before that. Suddenly it's more akin to reboot (for some people), and a remaster means "just changing the graphics".

This is definitely a remake, and it looks hype as hell. I never got SoTC on the PS2, and didn't have a PS3, so this is definitely my time to play it. I'm sad that I already know the twists, but it's without a doubt a paragon of gaming that I need to play myself.

I mean, Final Fantasy III on the DS was already pretty big.

To me, remaster = upresing a game. smoother framerate. maaaybe touching the textures a little bit.

Remake = The second you change most of the models its a remake.

We probably could use three categories to split remake into soft remake (SotC, Crash) and a hard remake (FFIII, FFVII)

Lynx_7

SotC is a niche PlayStation classic, so I imagine the crowd at PSX 2017 would have lost their shit during this reveal.
It wasn't just for SOTC though, the crowd looked dead pretty much the entire show lol
I also can't really blame them

Just like with Resident Evil 4 and Ninja Gaiden, 2nd times the charm! I will finally play it the 2nd time I own it.

RE4 GC>Wii

NinjaGaiden Xbox>PS3

SotC PS3>PS4

In order for this game to meet standards it's going to need a more impressive draw distance than Red Dead Redemption AND Horizon and the landscape in the distance will need to look impressionistic.

The lack of pop in is a blessing. The bloom wasn't like the bloom in any other game though and seemed intentionally stylized to evoke a dreamlike atmosphere if you ask me.

Speaking of draw distance, GTAV Remastered doesn't get enough credit.

I'm as big a fan of SotC as you're likely to meet, but I think this looks awful. The art and animation is simply nowhere near the caliber of Team ICO, so I just don't see any reason why this should exist.

Sorry to be negative in a thread where people seem to be generally excited, but this look terrible to me.

Dafuq were you watching? That looks amazing. I don't see how anyone who is a fan can watch that and say it looks terrible.

simple_sleep

Neo Member
I don't think enough people have said this: this remake (don't kill me plz) NEEDS the cut colossi. The best ones at the very least, like that phoenix thing, that spider, that dragon, etc. They don't need to be necessarily tied to main story, they could be optional final bosses, only available after beating the main game or whatever. It's already great that they're already giving us these sweet graphics, but... Please. Cut colossi. Gives us. I beg of you.

Like, seriously. I need to maintain this boner. And only confirming the cut colossi will help me do it. I've dreamed about them. Now make them real.

Also, another thing...

The colossi that were cut. Give them back.

Razmos

I don't think enough people have said this: this remake (don't kill me plz) NEEDS the cut colossi. The best ones at the very least, like that phoenix thing, that spider, that dragon, etc. They don't need to be necessarily tied to main story, they could be optional final bosses, only available after beating the main game or whatever. It's already great that they're already giving us these sweet graphics, but... Please. Cut colossi. Gives us. I beg of you.

Like, seriously. I need to maintain this boner. And only confirming the cut colossi will help me do it. I've dreamed about them. Now make them real.

Also, another thing...

The colossi that were cut. Give them back.
100% this. It would be such a massive missed opportunity if they didn't

SirNinja

I literally leapt out of my chair and shouted when I saw that first shot of the bridge. I haven't reacted that way to an E3 trailer in years, maybe ever.

SotC was my game of the gen. And now it looks incredible. Best possible developer to do it, too, since Bluepoint already knows the thing inside and out.

Top Bottom