• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of the Colossus Trailer PS4 (E3 2017)

jett

D-Member
Ah ok, thanks. Didn't know there were drops. Didn't even know it had a 1080p mode. Thought it was 720p all this time.

The grip physics were changed in the remaster? I thought the colossi were just more aggressive and shook their heads/bodies more.

No, they behave the same, it's Wander that more easily and often flails around when they do. It's not more difficult, it's just more annoying.

If they remaster the game a second time without including any of the cut colossi I'm going to be a sad panda, would be such a wasted opportunity, especially since this seems more akin to a full on remake.

Dash_

Don't have much of a problem with the way it looks so far (need to see more of the lighting though).

As big a concern for me is if they re-record the dialogue and to make it more 'accessible' and marketable, they drop the foreign language.

I should have faith they won't, but Sony wanted to make an action film based on this game once not too long ago.

Fumito Ueda - Famitsu magazine August 2011&#65279 said:
There were some grander ideas, such as changing Shadow's ending or adding some of the colossi that got cut from the original, and honestly having features like that would've been attractive from a business perspective. If we put just a few extras in, though, gamers would naturally expect more than what we could provide. Instead of just putting in a few half-baked things, I thought it'd be better to stick with the original concept of staying faithful to the base work. If I get another chance in the future to do a remake, I might wind up changing quite a lot more.
Bois

ScOULaris

No, they behave the same, it's Wander that more easily and often flails around when they do. It's not more difficult, it's just more annoying.

It still irks me to this day that BluePoint never once acknowledged the issue or responded to anyone who inquired about it.

It's not that Wander's grip mechanics were altered, his feet just slip or lose their footing more easily when a colossus shakes than they did in both the original US and EU releases. People are mistaken when they say that the game features the same gripping/slipping mechanics as the original PAL release. Wander's feet slip much more easily in the remaster than they did in the PAL PS2 release for sure.

My money has always been on physics calculations in the game's engine being tied to framerate, and with the more stable 30fps lock in the remaster it's sampling more times per second on average when colossi shake and resulting in Wander more consistently losing his footing when jostled.

It never ruined the remaster for me, however. Sure, it makes two of the Hard Time Attacks very difficult, but the HD remaster is still the definitive way to play SotC in my eyes.

Blader

Hoping they realize the potential of the PS4 and maybe have time to add some extra Colossi!

That would require way more work, and likely involvement from Ueda. Think this is a just a higher-end remaster being done by Bluepoint rather than actually reopening the game itself.

Drencrom

There were some grander ideas, such as changing Shadow's ending or adding some of the colossi that got cut from the original, and honestly having features like that would've been attractive from a business perspective. If we put just a few extras in, though, gamers would naturally expect more than what we could provide. Instead of just putting in a few half-baked things, I thought it'd be better to stick with the original concept of staying faithful to the base work. If I get another chance in the future to do a remake, I might wind up changing quite a lot more.
Bois

Woah, sounds like we're getting new content if Ueda still stands by this

Laplasakos

Famitsu had an interview with Yoshida and he was asked about the game. If someone could translate maybe we could get some info. Here is the part.

――つぎに、『ワンダと巨像』についてうかがいます。これは、リマスター版なのでしょうか、それともリメイク版なのでしょうか?
吉田 リメイクです。今回は、ゲーム内容はオリジナル版といっしょですが、アセットはすべて作り直しています。PS4の時代に『ワンダと巨像』を作るなら、こういう技術が使えるだろうと。Bluepointは、PS3向けの『ICO』と『ワンダと巨像』のリマスター版を作った開発会社なんです。だから中身はよく知っています。

――ゲーム内容はPS2版と同じなのですね。
吉田 同じですが、操作系などは時間とともにユーザーさんの好みが変わっていますので、現代風に遊べる工夫を入れようと思っています。もちろん、オリジナルの感覚でも遊んでいただけますが。原作のよさを、いまの技術で表現します。上田さん(上田文人氏)は、今回はあまり関わっていません。

Sephzilla

Hearing that OST again

UUr3xbM.gif

Roubjon

Famitsu had an interview with Yoshida and he was asked about the game. If someone could translate maybe we could get some info. Here is the part.

From Google Translate:
- Next, I will look at "Wanda and the Colossus". Is this a remaster version, or is it a remake version?
Yoshida: It is a remake. This time, the contents of the game together with the original version, but all the assets are being rebuilt. If you make "Colossus with Wanda" in the era of PS 4, this technique could be used. Bluepoint is a development company that made remastered versions of "ICO" and "Wanda and the Colossus" for PS3. So I know the contents well.

- The content of the game is the same as PS2 version.
Yoshida: The same, but since the preference of the user has changed with time as for the operation system etc., I am planning to introduce ingenuity to play in contemporary style. Of course, you can also play with the original feeling. I express the goodness of the original with the present technology. Mr. Ueda (Mr. Umeda fumito) is not much involved this time.

Seems like there won't be new stuff based on this. Also Ueda isn't involved?

😧😧😧😧😧😧 every thread I go into is just people complaining , I thought this looked awesome

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Google translate to the rescue:

- Next, I will look at "Wanda and the Colossus". Is this a remaster version, or is it a remake version?
It is Yoshida remake. This time, the contents of the game together with the original version, but all the assets are being rebuilt. If you make "Colossus with Wanda" in the era of PS 4, this technique could be used. Bluepoint is a development company that made remastered versions of "ICO" and "Wanda and the Colossus" for PS3. So I know the contents well.

- The content of the game is the same as PS2 version.
Yoshida Same, but since the preference of the user has changed with time as for the operation system etc., I am planning to introduce ingenuity to play in contemporary style. Of course, you can also play with the original feeling. I express the goodness of the original with the present technology. Mr. Ueda (Mr. Umeda fumito) is not much involved this time.

From what I can piece.

- Yoshida confirms it's a remake, not a remaster.
- Same content but with rebuilt assets.
- Planning to introduce some modern game play mechanics but will offer option for gamers to play the game in it's original form (probably means alternate control settings)
- Ueda is not involved much with this project.

Loudninja

From what I can piece.

- Planning to introduce some modern game play mechanics but will offer option for gamers to play the game in it's original form (probably means alternate control settings)
Yeah make sense if he is not involve much not a good idea to add new stuff like that.

jett

D-Member
Did they confirm what engine this is running on? Is it TLG's engine?

I doubt anything will run on that frankenengine ever again. Probably whatever it is JapanStudios uses for its games, like Knack. If not, UE4, seems the preferred third party engine for Japanese devs.

Hag

Ueda and the old team not involved? That's why looks so off

Dream is dead about using all the other colossi and areas

Apathy

I wonder if this is gonna be multiplayer. The original PS2 game was supposed to be multiplayer, they even had some video for it IIRC. That could possibly get me interested on this.

I think you must be thinking of something else

Ueda and the old team not involved? That's why looks so off

Dream is dead about using all the other colossi and areas

Whelp there goes my interest in this.

Ueda already worked with blupoint when they did the ps2->ps3 remaster of sotc and praised them for the work. They are just doing it again, that agent going to be changing fundamentals of the game. Bluepoint have shown themselves to be capable at what they do.

jett

D-Member
It still irks me to this day that BluePoint never once acknowledged the issue or responded to anyone who inquired about it.

It's not that Wander's grip mechanics were altered, his feet just slip or lose their footing more easily when a colossus shakes than they did in both the original US and EU releases. People are mistaken when they say that the game features the same gripping/slipping mechanics as the original PAL release. Wander's feet slip much more easily in the remaster than they did in the PAL PS2 release for sure.

My money has always been on physics calculations in the game's engine being tied to framerate, and with the more stable 30fps lock in the remaster it's sampling more times per second on average when colossi shake and resulting in Wander more consistently losing his footing when jostled.

It never ruined the remaster for me, however. Sure, it makes two of the Hard Time Attacks very difficult, but the HD remaster is still the definitive way to play SotC in my eyes.

Yeah I dunno, it kinda ruined hard mode for me. Colossus #3 is just a pain in the ass. It just stops being fun and starts being frustrating.

ScOULaris

Yeah I dunno, it kinda ruined hard mode for me. Colossus #3 is just a pain in the ass. It just stops being fun and starts being frustrating.

Watch this new remaster being based on the code base that they ported over for the PS3 release result in the same gripping/slipping issues all over again. And then BluePoint would remain ever-silent as always.

I love BluePoint, but their silence on that issue will forever remain a mark against them in my eyes.

muteki

From what I can piece.

Eh, if they can sort out and return the controls and feel to the original PS2 release, I may be interested. Otherwise not really excited about it, personally.

wmlk

The game is perfect as it is. I really don't see the point for me to buy this and play it again if there aren't any changes that truly make this the definitive version.

Anung

Un Rama
The game is perfect as it is. I really don't see the point for me to buy this and play it again if there aren't any changes that truly make this the definitive version.

Good controls and camera should help make it stand out.

I just hope they put as much attention to detail into Wander's animations. Nice graphics are nice graphics but Ueda's games are all about the heft.

ArchAngel

They changed some styles of textures completely. Stonesword in the original is a "crumble texture", in the remake it's "normal stone texture" even on the broken piece.

But, I can't wait for this. An option to play the original would be cool.

Top Bottom