• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of the Colossus Trailer PS4 (E3 2017)

The main reason to still hold onto the original is the difficulty is still as originally intended. It's a shame they never patched the grip issue. Game was definitely harder on PS3 than on PS2. Hopefully the team goes back to original and figures out what the issue was and resolves it on the PS4 remaster

https://youtu.be/YS9MGiFU0gU
Leonard from big bang theory agrees with you
giphy.gif

jett

D-Member
n2PCTUY.jpg

a_3k_lui_painting_120823.vembedmed.jpg

I figure they have a long way to go nail things.

Watch this new remaster being based on the code base that they ported over for the PS3 release result in the same gripping/slipping issues all over again. And then BluePoint would remain ever-silent as always.

I love BluePoint, but their silence on that issue will forever remain a mark against them in my eyes.

Yeap I feel the same.

I'm hearing reports from people at E3 that Shu has characterized this as a full remake with an updated control scheme. It looks like a remaster to me (which is 100% fine) and if they're re-tooling controls then even better.

Edit: I guess remake might be a better term for it if the PS3 version was an HD remaster and this looked to be leagues past that.

Blader

I'm glad I got to revisit the game on PS3 so many years after first completing it, but agreed that if they don't fix the control/grip/physics problem from that remaster, then I have no interest in this. There were a couple Colossi that just took forever to bring down because of that. It just wasn't fun.

jett

D-Member
Swift Horse needs to be put into the actual game, instead of the end credits.

One of the most epic tunes in all of gaming.

I have no idea where it could be put to use in the game. I figure Ueda thought it had no place in the finished game, or just didn't fit in, or maybe flat out didn't like it. Like the "Final Battle" bonus track, which I assume it was meant to be played during the second half of Colossus #16, but instead Demise of the Ritual is played again.

I'm hoping that if this is indeed treated as a remake, they can add some meaningful changes to the control scheme, and even add Colossi/gameplay ideas that were scrapped from the original game due to technical constraints, lack of funding and lack of time.

In other words, broaden the vision of the original design that Ueda was unable to do at the time but always wanted to.

It still irks me to this day that BluePoint never once acknowledged the issue or responded to anyone who inquired about it.

It's not that Wander's grip mechanics were altered, his feet just slip or lose their footing more easily when a colossus shakes than they did in both the original US and EU releases. People are mistaken when they say that the game features the same gripping/slipping mechanics as the original PAL release. Wander's feet slip much more easily in the remaster than they did in the PAL PS2 release for sure.

My money has always been on physics calculations in the game's engine being tied to framerate, and with the more stable 30fps lock in the remaster it's sampling more times per second on average when colossi shake and resulting in Wander more consistently losing his footing when jostled.

It never ruined the remaster for me, however. Sure, it makes two of the Hard Time Attacks very difficult, but the HD remaster is still the definitive way to play SotC in my eyes.

The third colossus on HTA in the HD version is damn near impossible to beat. It drives me crazy that they couldn't have at least patched in a few extra seconds to that colossus if they weren't going to fix the slipping issue. It took me over six hours of replaying that colossus to finally beat the HTA. You flat out needed to manipulate the colossus AI at times just to have any chance of getting a good time and then you pretty much had to pray to the RNG that you'd have a good run. I just barely managed to beat it after hours of attempts and even then I only did so with like five seconds left. It's still one of my most frustrating gaming moments. I mean, I used to re-do the HTA on the PS2 over and over again because of how much fun I had with it. Now I never want to touch it again and if this remake has the same issue, I won't be attempting it again.

Sony Boss Shuhei Yoshida Clarifies Shadow of the Colossus On PS4 Is A Remake Not A Remaster

Well there you go.

Shuhei Yoshida: ”It is a remake. The game content is the same as the original version, but all the assets are being remade.

Famitsu: So the game will have the same content it had in its PS2 version.

Yoshida: ”It's the same, but player preferences for controls and such change over time, so we're working on implementing a more modernized way to play.

Even money says they're also going to address the grip issues, etc..

A-V-B

n2PCTUY.jpg

a_3k_lui_painting_120823.vembedmed.jpg

I figure they have a long way to go nail things.

Noticed this right off the bat too. It's of course nowhere NEAR as bad as Fluffy Bear Jesus. Still, my only hope is that they don't just say "nah that's good enough" and let the visuals rest here. Please keep improving, BluePoint.

Ex-Psych

Read an article that said that it will be just be same as the ps2 with no extras.

That's honestly is a shame. I mean I'll double dipped just for idea that they might make a sequel if enough buy it. But its still a real bummer.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The main reason to still hold onto the original is the difficulty is still as originally intended. It's a shame they never patched the grip issue. Game was definitely harder on PS3 than on PS2. Hopefully the team goes back to original and figures out what the issue was and resolves it on the PS4 remaster
The grip 'issue' is because they were porting the EU version of the game, which was the final intended original release, and the grip was weaker in the EU original game just like that probably because Ueda or his team felt the game was too easy on the US release, or something.

ScOULaris

The grip 'issue' is because they were porting the EU version of the game, which was the final intended original release, and the grip was weaker in the EU original game just like that probably because Ueda or his team felt the game was too easy on the US release, or something.

This is a common misconception. Wander would slip or lose his footing even more easily in the HD remaster than he did in the PAL (EU) PS2 release. Most likely it had to do with physics calculations being tied to framerate, and in the remaster the framerate was oftentimes 10-15fps higher when things got hectic than in the PS2 version.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
This is a common misconception. Wander would slip or lose his footing even more easily in the HD remaster than he did in the PAL (EU) PS2 release. Most likely it had to do with physics calculations being tied to framerate, and in the remaster the framerate was oftentimes 10-15fps higher when things got hectic than in the PS2 version.
Interesting. I wonder if the emulated version of the game has the same issue then, as you can probably lock to 30FPS on a fast enough computer there. I've never played the EU version, but I've heard many times that the grip was weaker in it, and it was possible to fall off the colossus more easily.

I agree with you on principle btw - I wish they ported US version of both Ico and SotC in that PS3 remaster. Most of the EU changes and additions were to the detriment of both games.

ScOULaris

Interesting. I wonder if the emulated version of the game has the same issue then, as you can probably lock to 30FPS on a fast enough computer there. I've never played the EU version, but I've heard many times that the grip was weaker in it, and it was possible to fall off the colossus more easily.

I agree with you on principle btw - I wish they ported US version of both Ico and SotC in that PS3 remaster. Most of the EU changes and additions were to the detriment of both games.

The worst part about them choosing to use the PAL version of ICO in the collection is that it has an inferior ending to the US release. The music is all wrong and the mood is totally different between the two versions.

Shockingly, I know, I never played this.

So this is a lovely treat to me and the countless other PS4 owners that never played what many consider an all-time classic. Can't wait.

This video to me highlights that there are a lot of "I only like the first album" posts in here. I appreciate that some experiences are always better in hindsight - I followed SOTC from reveal up until day of release, just as I did with Ico and TLG, and vividly remember my first playthrough - but posts about how BP has missed the mark with the atmosphere/lighting/"dream-like mist" etc really don't jive with this comparison this video depicts. In all the most important ways, they've really nailed this.

I agree Wander's model and face still need work, but the rest of it is really a pretty magnificent encapsulation and update of Team Ico's work.

Kaako

Felium Defensor

So this is a lovely treat to me and the countless other PS4 owners that never played what many consider an all-time classic. Can't wait.
Few games make me wish I could wipe my memory clean as this one. I envy you first timers so so much haha. Hope you guys have an amazing time with it as I did my first playthrough.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
This video to me highlights that there are a lot of "I only like the first album" posts in here. I appreciate that some experiences are always better in hindsight - I followed SOTC from reveal up until day of release, just as I did with Ico and TLG, and vividly remember my first playthrough - but posts about how BP has missed the mark with the atmosphere/lighting/"dream-like mist" etc really don't jive with this comparison this video depicts. In all the most important ways, they've really nailed this.
I totally agree. I think they even went and faked the old-timey looking effects, like the low precision HDR exposure, to simulate the look of those overblown highlights. If they just went with normal tonemapping precision available today, that stuff would never look they way it does in this trailer.

The worst part about them choosing to use the PAL version of ICO in the collection is that it has an inferior ending to the US release. The music is all wrong and the mood is totally different between the two versions.
Yeah, I was a bit shocked with how much less impact the EU ending held due to those retimed music cues. I remember we actually agreed on this back when the PS3 remaster came out. I thought at first I was being crazy, until you confirmed the ending is indeed different.

Doomsayer

If I had one complaint about the PS2 version of SotC (never played the PS3 one) is that it was super janky. I think it looks great and if the controls are fixed then this is an instabuy for me.

I agree Wander's model and face still need work, but the rest of it is really a pretty magnificent encapsulation and update of Team Ico's work.
Yeah I agree. I absolutely love the way the skyboxes look in this remake if I'm going to be honest

StoneFox

Looks pretty spot on. I just hope they keep the weighty feeling of the controls from the original. I'm not liking what I'm hearing about altering them for "modern" tastes.
If they indeed change the controls it will be awful. Wander doesn't know how to use the sword--as he stole it--plus, he isn't the best athlete. He is supposed to feel awkward and bumbling. It seems like the only thing he really has a knack for using is a bow and arrow and riding a horse.

It's like when people complained about GenDesign not giving TLG the most precise controls as though they expected the boy was the protagonist of a character action game or something.

Few games make me wish I could wipe my memory clean as this one. I envy you first timers so so much haha. Hope you guys have an amazing time with it as I did my first playthrough.

Thanks man trying to avoid spoilers so clicked off the reveal trailer after 30 seconds he he we're in for a treat.

Coffinhal

Do we know if Ueda is supervising/giving his approval on the remake or is it fully independant ?

God damn you people are harsh.

Yeah. The game really deserves it, a whole new generation who never would have played the PS2 game (even remeastered) will likely embrace it. The average gaf only thinks about him and doesn't see that he is not the only target audience here...

I hope they are going to do the same with ICO.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I'll buy this game...but it didn't need to exist.

Demon Souls PS4, say it with me Bluepoint

Just do it

G-Bus

Banned
So many of you are crazy.

The amount of people excited at the rumor of a SoTC remake and then seeing the reactions of GAF surprised me a bit. It shouldn't have, I've been here long enough to expect that.

Looks great. Can't wait to play it. I missed out on the remaster for PS3 so it's been a long time for me.

Feel sorry for bluepoint. People are going to tear this game apart for the most trivial of reasons.

So many of you are crazy.

The amount of people excited at the rumor of a SoTC remake and then seeing the reactions of GAF surprised me a bit. It shouldn't have, I've been here long enough to expect that.

Looks great. Can't wait to play it. I missed out on the remaster for PS3 so it's been a long time for me.

Feel sorry for bluepoint. People are going to tear this game apart for the most trivial of reasons.
One can excited for something and still be critical

Hype doesn't equal unequivocal excitement, and criticism isn't a bad thing

Movie remakes get critiqued all the time, even the good ones. How the more modern tech and techniques influence storytelling and visuals compared to the original work, the carryover (or not) or themes and plot, and so on

Why should game remakes and remasters be any different?

Considering how seminal SoTC is for the medium, this would be like seeing they're remaking Psycho shot for shot with modern visuals and actors, and then not discussing how and what could change and the relationship between the original and remake

Yes, I know there's a shot-for-shot remake of Psycho

Ethelwulf

Suggestion: enjoy the ride in this game. Like, everything. You will know what I mean when you get your hands on... Few games have managed to touch me in such a deep and meaningful way. Sotc is on my top 5 games of all time.

Top Bottom