• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadows of the Damned - |OT| of Demons and Girlfriends from Hell

DJ_Lae

Shalashaska161 said:
Man the
second Sister of Death
screwed me because I'm colourblind. Couldn't figure out which one was her since I couldn't see the change in her color. Had to get my sister to come point at the TV and tell me which one I should shoot.

Oh shit, that explains why that fight was so difficult for me.

I just shot randomly around and after dying a few times, finally got through out of blind luck.

Owzers

Finished! I enjoyed the ending, struggled slightly through some of the ending fights because i can't aim :p Target the red area! * targets everything but the red area* argh! When i have a lot of machine gun ammo it helps with the lock on.

woah, finally got the platinum! the last two fights were a bit harder then i expected.

all told, man what a fun game, i didn't mind at all having to play through 3 times.

Jigsaw

Banned
japan got the better boxart

3334b5d3-s.jpg

anyone knows if the playbox issue will be included in any box?or is it a pre-order goodie?

2132454886irsc.jpg

fart town usa

Gold Member
This game is really trying.

I'm at the end of Act 4 and good lord Act 5 can't come soon enough. The big boner and the
cardboard cut out
level are just plain awful. Lots of things I don't like about this game and for the most part it feels like a giant letdown considering how excited I was for a game that had suda/mikami/yamaoka, all working together.

The soundtrack is awesome, but the game feels so incredibly janky. Also, just now, I died while following the glowfish in the library and the game just froze, I'm assuming it's not normal for a game to take 3+ minutes to reload a checkpoint so I just turned it off. I'm gonna push through though and finish it because I want to get started on Catherine and FEAR 3.

All in all, a linear game that grows old really fast and I honestly wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Nothing but disappointment on my end.

Oh, I have the ps3 version. Not sure how much worse/better the 360 version is.

Teknoman

360 version, no freezes on my end ( but there was one glitch where I got stuck in a building early on). Anyway, so Paula was actually
Fleming's girl in the first place when Garcia found her, and just never knew it before he fell in love with her
? At least thats the impression I got from the end sequence.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
i played a bit of this. Disappointed with the Gears-like tank controls instead of something like Uncharted's controls.

alr1ghtstart said:
i played a bit of this. Disappointed with the Gears-like tank controls instead of something like Uncharted's controls.
I really think the phrase tank controls is used way too often these days.

The way Uncharted plays would not work for this game.

theDeeDubs

Finishing up my first playthrough and I'm loving this game. Performance seems pretty decent. Only had one freeze on a loading screen although the loading screen felt jerky the entire way through for some reason. Screen tearing was awful on my 360 version until I set it to 720P, and now it's much better. It's crazy how the music can be so calming and serene then all of a sudden it's like someone's screaming in my ear and the tension goes through the roof. It's so well done in that department. Besides the
Big Boner
section, the entire game has just been fun as hell.

just started this on 360 today. really liking the atmosphere and sense of humour so far - just got up to 2-2. the screen tearing on the 360 version is TERRIBLE tho. exactly the same as RE5 for me.

I grabbed this for full price a few weeks ago and have only recently started to play through it. Honestly, I really am not sure of the game. The humor seems juvenile and the controls are just not very good. The turning/shooting/melee moves just seem really awkward and the running is really wonky too. Add to all this the tearing and performance issues and it just doesn't feel like a very good game.

I am going to finish it and really try to give it a fair shake, but maybe I just don't "get" what the game is trying to do. It sort of feels like it is trying too hard to be funny and over the top at times. It could be because I have never played a Suda51 game before, but I am really not digging the game. I can sort of see why it didn't sell much in the states.

I know I am in the minority here, and maybe I will change my mind the more I play, but I really don't think it was worth full price right now.

Abylim

Picked this up two days ago, expecting it to be sort of like RE4, but worse.
Man, if this had ng+ it may rank higher than RE4 for me. I love the control in this game. The upgrade system is abit weird, but I am in love!

Sinthetic

Definitely late to the party here due to my back log, but Suda never fails me. The game is just up my alley. So far, only an hour in, this is up there with NMH... It's highly possible it'll surpass it.

Ricker

Ok I just started this and I knew the light/darkness/blue switching that sort of put some parts on a timer would piss me off but the Bosses so far have been pretty good(only 2,I`m on 2-3 I think)and I`m enjoying it but i`m at a part now I don`t get...there`s some dark guys,and one of them on the other side of a fence,where the goat head is located,keeps climbing up there to shut the light from the goat off....do I have to keep on trying to kill the dark guys,that I do no harm to except with a swing or what? I just keep dying there after a while because they keep coming and i`m not sure what to do...

Sinthetic

Ricker said:
Ok I just started this and I knew the light/darkness/blue switching that sort of put some parts on a timer would piss me off but the Bosses so far have been pretty good(only 2,I`m on 2-3 I think)and I`m enjoying it but i`m at a part now I don`t get...there`s some dark guys,and one of them on the other side of a fence,where the goat head is located,keeps climbing up there to shut the light from the goat off....do I have to keep on trying to kill the dark guys,that I do no harm to except with a swing or what? I just keep dying there after a while because they keep coming and i`m not sure what to do...

Light Shot the Goat head and the crawler, then finish him when his dark veil comes down.

Curufinwe

Teknoman said:
360 version, no freezes on my end ( but there was one glitch where I got stuck in a building early on). Anyway, so Paula was actually
Fleming's girl in the first place when Garcia found her, and just never knew it before he fell in love with her
? At least thats the impression I got from the end sequence.

That was my impression, also.

Phat Michael said:
just started this on 360 today. really liking the atmosphere and sense of humour so far - just got up to 2-2. the screen tearing on the 360 version is TERRIBLE tho. exactly the same as RE5 for me.

Change your max resolution to 720p in the 360 settings and see if that helps. It worked for me.

FreeMufasa

Got this yesterday and finished it today. Total play time was just over 5 hours.

5 hours of pure greatness. This game has single handedly revived my interest in shooters. Gameplay is fast and satisfying and It paired with a great cast and funny story.

I'm gonna try more Suda/Mikami so next up for me is No More Heroes and Vanquish.

TheOddOne

zoner said:
Have they patched the game to let you skip cutscenes yet? It's the whole reason I can't play this thing twice.
Going trough Legion Hunter right now and no they have not patched it. I doubt they will patch it.

Himself

FreeMufasa said:
Got this yesterday and finished it today. Total play time was just over 5 hours.

5 hours of pure greatness. This game has single handedly revived my interest in shooters. Gameplay is fast and satisfying and It paired with a great cast and funny story.

I'm gonna try more Suda/Mikami so next up for me is No More Heroes and Vanquish.

Holy shit. You haven't played Vanquish yet. You, my friend, are in for a treat. It's about as good as a shooter can get. NMH is fun too. But if you really want Suda's most wacked game, pick up Killer7.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
alr1ghtstart said:

"Tank controls" means you can't strafe. This game has completely standard controls for a 3rd person shooter.

Curufinwe

Just went to Amazon and saw they are offering $31 to trade it in, and the Amazon price is the same as when I pre-ordered the week before launch. $59.95 on the 360 and $56.99 on the 360.

ok question, in ACT 3,
I just beat george at the end of act 2, and it says i unlocked the skullcusioner, didn't i already have that, the green shotgun thing?

I'm shocked at how much I'm enjoying this game--so much so that I'm considering going for the full-1000. It's too bad about a lack of New Game+.

Shortt Sirket said:
I am going to finish it and really try to give it a fair shake, but maybe I just don't "get" what the game is trying to do. It sort of feels like it is trying too hard to be funny and over the top at times. It could be because I have never played a Suda51 game before, but I am really not digging the game...

nailed it - &, no, having never played a suda game has nothing to do with it. suda in full-on grindhouse mode is distinctly different from his past stuff, &, unfortunately, his version of grindhouse in sotd is much closer to tarrantino-level 'trying to hard' than rodriguez' more imaginative re-imaginings (imo, anyway :) )...

i got halfway thru on release, & have yet to go back to it, myself. it's a good game, & fun enough, but it's just not anything all that special, or (unlike killer 7) memorable...

Kade

TSAGoodness said:
ok question, in ACT 3,
I just beat george at the end of act 2, and it says i unlocked the skullcusioner, didn't i already have that, the green shotgun thing?

You unlocked the upgraded one.

Jimmy Stav said:
I'm shocked at how much I'm enjoying this game--so much so that I'm considering going for the full-1000. It's too bad about a lack of New Game+.

It's really not that bad. I got 1000/1000 on my third and final play through on Legion Hunter (Hard). By the time I played on Legion Hunter I had been through twice already and I flew through it without dying, despite being on the hardest difficulty setting. And since the game's not really long and filled with goodness, it doesn't get old.

great game...up to Act 5-2 now. i dont like
the 2D Missions or the big boner ones however...thought they seemed to be a bit of an afterthought.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Finally played this game after borrowing it from a friend.

Overall, it's really solid, with a few really great combat scenarios and a few parts that are complete garbage. The writing was a lot better and more varied in tone than what the promo materials showed, so I now understand people's positive impressions of the dialog and delivery.

Aiming seemed to be kind of janky at certain ranges and even near the end of the game I was missing shots that looked like they should have hit when I was really close to enemies. Otherwise the shooting and bullet impact felt great. My favorite part of the game is the combat, which brings me to why I'll never play it again...

Tons of unskippable mini-cutscenes and full cutscenes, long load times when you die, and "exploration" is perfunctory for the most part. The parts where I'm not shooting dudes are parts I do not need to experience again. The
2D shooting levels
were visually interesting for about 30 seconds and then boring as fuck. They feel like shit, they play like shit, they are half-assed and pointless.
Paula chase scenes
were kind of shitty, but not because I'm fundamentally opposed to the idea of instant death trial and error gameplay. It's just that when the load times exceed the playtimes between them (as they did in the last of these sequences) I was instantly having less than zero fun. The fact that the game can't reload a small area instantly after you die is a testament to somebody's lack of talent or effort.

The
big boner
sequences are another one people had problems with, but I thought those were fine. It was pretty satisfying to headshot those big dudes from a distance, and it didn't take me too many attempts to complete it.

At first I was thinking the graphics were better than I had been lead to believe by promo materials, but by the end I was pretty much over brick walls and colored lights. There were some standout areas in terms of visual design, but a lot of blends together in my memory now.

Oh, and the music was excellent.

Overall I really respect the game for having its own coherent vision and aesthetic, even if I didn't always like it. Glad I played it, but also glad I didn't buy it.

TheOddOne

ToyMachine228 said:
It's really not that bad. I got 1000/1000 on my third and final play through on Legion Hunter (Hard). By the time I played on Legion Hunter I had been through twice already and I flew through it without dying, despite being on the hardest difficulty setting. And since the game's not really long and filled with goodness, it doesn't get old.
I went back to Alice after my first playtrough of Shadows, finished that game and went back to Shadows to do Legion Hunter. Boy, I remember medium being harder. I now do the
2D sections/Boner levels
without much effort. Crazy.

ToyMachine228 said:

Fair enough, but Act 4 (you know what I'm referring to) is terrible.

EDIT: is this game bomba price anywhere? I'm playing it on a rental, but I figure I should buy it.

EDIT 2: And what's the deal with the five different brutal kills achievement? How I do this? What about The Puppeteer?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Jimmy Stav said:

EDIT: is this game bomba price anywhere? I'm playing it on a rental, but I figure I should buy it.

EDIT 2: And what's the deal with the five different brutal kills achievement? How I do this? What about The Puppeteer?

Once you light shot an enemy, you can move up close and perform a brutal kill. This works on normal demons only however. If you want more time to move in, consider upgrading enemy stun time. The animation is random, there are 5 different ones. Keep trying and you'll see them all eventually.

Puppeteer... requires a bit of luck and persistence. Once you shoot out a demon's leg, he'll be in the air for a split second, that's when you need to head shot it. Recommended weapon is the dentist, but I did it with the boner.

Jimmy Stav said:

I honestly don't think the 2D sections were that bad. Were they obviously thrown in just to tack an extra half hour or so onto the game? Yes. Was it annoying that you couldn't shoot behind you? Yes. But they weren't deal breakers for me. Like I said above, by my third time through I breezed right through them.

Karish

Wow. I just finished the game. At first, I thought the ending SUUUUUUCKED.

Then I got to the real ending.
Where you sit in the darkness as your life slowly winds down
Perfect.

Overall, I really liked it. B+

It's kind of lame how playing through on Legion Hunter doesn't unlock the trophies for easy and normal as well. Oh well, overall it's a pretty good game. Glad I didn't play full price for it though.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Karish said:
Wow. I just finished the game. At first, I thought the ending SUUUUUUCKED.

Then I got to the real ending.
Where you sit in the darkness as your life slowly winds down
Perfect.

Overall, I really liked it. B+

I agree, but
then they add yet another ending to it which is ok, but makes no sense to me coming right after the darkness does whatever it does to you.

PooBone

A little LTTP here, but I got this game from Gamefly last night and popped it in. Played through the first few chapters. I chuckled a couple times, and I get the style they're going for, and the voice acting for Johnson is top notch, but the game really isn't very fun and I don't think I'm going to continue. What do you guys say, should I press on because it's about to get awesome, or if it's not my cup of tea now, should I just turn it in?

I will say that the music is FUCKING AWESOME, I've loved every second of the soundtrack and want it. Even the sounds you hear when you pick up the beer bottles is awesome, and reminds me of Silent Hill's item acquirement sound.

My wife said it best. Every Silent Hill soundtrack would have 2 or 3 great rock tracks, and a lot of droning noises, whereas this entire game is like the cherry-picked songs from Yamaoka's previous work.

Bliddo

PooBone said:
A little LTTP here, but I got this game from Gamefly last night and popped it in. Played through the first few chapters. I chuckled a couple times, and I get the style they're going for, and the voice acting for Johnson is top notch, but the game really isn't very fun and I don't think I'm going to continue. What do you guys say, should I press on because it's about to get awesome, or if it's not my cup of tea now, should I just turn it in?
The core gameplay is the same, but there's always something new in every chapter to spice things up. Boss fights are awesome too, and there are some nice touches scattered around the maps (e.g. the books with the backstory of the bosses).
But if you didn't enjoy the first chapters, you probably won't enjoy the rest of the game.

I'm on my second play through (Legion hunter) and I love every second of the game.

Top Bottom