• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadows of the Damned - |OT| of Demons and Girlfriends from Hell

Ricker

I think i`m almost done with this game...the Reaper in 3-3 is one of the most annoying fight ever,especially with those janky controls...what do I need to do exactly here? just get lucky and hit the right one? they keep multiplying and the freakin fight never ends.

Ricker said:
I think i`m almost done with this game...the Reaper in 3-3 is one of the most annoying fight ever,especially with those janky controls...what do I need to do exactly here? just get lucky and hit the right one? they keep multiplying and the freakin fight never ends.

One of them will have a glowing red heart that you have to shoot, doing so will break the darkness and the other witches will disappear.

Are you color blind? It's kind of a faint red glow but I didn't have any problems.

Ricker said:

If I know what you're referring to, then
shoot the one that's glowing

Gravijah

thepotatoman said:
I agree, but
then they add yet another ending to it which is ok, but makes no sense to me coming right after the darkness does whatever it does to you.

Yes, they kind of ruin the ending with that part.

NEO0MJ

Just finished the game yesterday, pretty fun. Have to ask something about the story

Is Paula the Huntress Johnson was talking about?

Ricker

Goddamn it...ok i`m when you get the Big Boner for the first time and I just can`t complete the second round in that mini kinda game...any tricks or do I have to just not suck and kill them in one shot each time?

TheOddOne

Ricker said:
Goddamn it...ok i`m when you get the Big Boner for the first time and I just can`t complete the second round in that mini kinda game...any tricks or do I have to just not suck and kill them in one shot each time?
Could you be a little more specific?

Owzers

Ricker said:

I ran into the same problem. Basically just relax and be calm, keep switching around to always make sure one of the monsters isn't in charge mode, if it is shoot that first. Also when you shoot a monster it stalls him, so if you shoot one far away and hear another coming you'll have time to switch areas to see if that one is closer and then return back to the one you damaged.

Ricker

TheOddOne said:
Could you be a little more specific?

When you get the Big Boner,you jump into a place with all the strip clubs and you use the phone to start some ennemies that walk up streets slowly and you have to shoot them with the Big Boner...you have to move left or right with RB or LB to face the right alley...I got the first section but the second one is harder and one of them always come to close and it`s instant Game Over.

TheOddOne

Ricker said:
When you get the Big Boner,you jump into a place with all the strip clubs and you use the phone to start some ennemies that walk up streets slowly and you have to shoot them with the Big Boner...you have to move left or right with RB or LB to face the right alley...I got the first section but the second one is harder and one of them always come to close and it`s instant Game Over.
Yeah, there are slow walking enemies that just walk and there are runners. If you see a runner kill him first. Also try to get headshots, instant kill.

Phat Michael said:
just started this on 360 today. really liking the atmosphere and sense of humour so far - just got up to 2-2. the screen tearing on the 360 version is TERRIBLE tho. exactly the same as RE5 for me.
re5 has no screentearing once you set the output on 720p :)

Ricker said:
Sigh...that`s what I thought,thanks guys....i`ll get it eventually I guess lol.

Don't take too much time trying to headshot them. Normal hit stuns them wich in turn gives you time to check other alleys. Not missing too many hits is important though.

If you really are struggling, be aware that their order and location is scripted... It's detailed in the gamfaq's faq.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
That Big Boner chapter was just...
0071_5b1b.gif

Ricker

I thought the side scrolling stuff in Alice was bad but the ones in this game in Chapter 4 are just awful...as awful as the other stuff in this game is awesome...I hate that all the upgrades and shit you accumulated so far in the game all mean nothing because of these dreadful,frustrating,annoying side scrolling chapters...I`m done with this game,I don`t have patience for stuff like this anymore.

Gravijah

Ricker said:
I thought the side scrolling stuff in Alice was bad but the ones in this game in Chapter 4 are just awful...as awful as the other stuff in this game is awesome...I hate that all the upgrades and shit you accumulated so far in the game all mean nothing because of these dreadful,frustrating,annoying side scrolling chapters...I`m done with this game,I don`t have patience for stuff like this anymore.

I don't remember them being particularly hard. The only thing in the game I had trouble with is the Big Boner minigame.

Bliddo

Ricker said:
The side scroller and the big boner levels are a chore, but they are far from beign frustrating, even on the hardest difficulty.

yeah. They were a minor annoyance for me. What annoyed me most was the amount of big boner sections but other than that I didn't mind it...hell I enjoyed the art and music enough in the sidescroller levels not to be irritated by their presence.

Now...where's that soundtrack?

Tokubetsu

Discotheque said:
yeah. They were a minor annoyance for me. What annoyed me most was the amount of big boner sections but other than that I didn't mind it...hell I enjoyed the art and music enough in the sidescroller levels not to be irritated by their presence.

I check amazon.co.jp like every week and i always bump this thread asking =/

Ricker

Discotheque said:
yeah. They were a minor annoyance for me. What annoyed me most was the amount of big boner sections.

You mean there`s more Big Boner sections in Chapter 5 and 6 ???? please noooooo hehe....made it past Chapter 4 finally but now i`m stuck in Chapter 5, I only have ammo left on the Bonechrusher I think it`s called(the green weapon)and i`m at a mini Boss fight(guys with all the electrodes on them)....might have a hard time there as well lol.

Bliddo

Ricker said:
I only have ammo left on the Bonechrusher I think it`s called(the green weapon)and i`m at a mini Boss fight(guys with all the electrodes on them)....might have a hard time there as well lol.
Abuse the sticky shot from the hot boner ;)
You can shoot the charged shot even when you have no ammo, and then just roll against an enemy to make it explode.

kliklik

Banned
NEO0MJ said:
Just finished the game yesterday, pretty fun. Have to ask something about the story

Is Paula the Huntress Johnson was talking about?

I was thinking the same thing while playing.

1. She has perfect aim without any apparent experience - that time at the carnival that she shot the pin holding the target without even looking

2. At the end, Garcia says that she's the Lord of the Underworld's mistress, and it seems that all this time, he has only had one (recall the story of Bowling for Uglies)

3. All through the game, she's being killed, then being revived, then being killed again. Like he said at the beginning of the game: she has a lot of dying to do. In the story of the Huntress, it said he kept killing her, then reviving her just to hear her defiance again before he killed her again, etc.

And the whole finding her in a garbage bin was kind of shady.

Just finished the reaper fight in 3-3.

Really loving everything about this game despite the somewhat loose controls. Aesthetically it's just a lot of fun, and its sound design/soundtrack might be the best I've heard from a game since Red Dead Redemption.

I can see the boss fights/Paula chase sequences getting more annoying, but I haven't hit any walls yet.

Owzers

Ricker said:

chapter 4 is probably why i'm not going to bother buying this game, i doubt i'll ever want to replay that. I think they made the side scrolling boss easier after you die once, at least it felt easier even with me knowing what to do more, seemed like it took less hits to die.

_Justinian_

Gold Member
The side-scrolling portions of the game are actually incredibly easy once you figure out the patterns. The demons reappear in the same exact manner each time. I did have some trouble with the boss, however, but I'm sure there's a pattern to that as well.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
kliklik said:
I was thinking the same thing while playing.

1. She has perfect aim without any apparent experience - that time at the carnival that she shot the pin holding the target without even looking

2. At the end, Garcia says that she's the Lord of the Underworld's mistress, and it seems that all this time, he has only had one (recall the story of Bowling for Uglies)

3. All through the game, she's being killed, then being revived, then being killed again. Like he said at the beginning of the game: she has a lot of dying to do. In the story of the Huntress, it said he kept killing her, then reviving her just to hear her defiance again before he killed her again, etc.

And the whole finding her in a garbage bin was kind of shady.

Yes, well, she escaped Hell and that's where Garcia found her
in the garbage bin. IIf you recall, he was telling Johnson, at one point in their relationship, she 'freaked out' the first time Garcia got a phone call while they were having dinner, because she knew Flemming was going to call looking for her. And lo' and behold, at the end of the game... Flemming calls looking for her. Seemed to me this cycle has happened before... she hunted Flemming and died at his heads, but he chose to keep her alive as his bride. Endless torture, she escapes, finds someone to protect her, get's dragged back down to hell... suffers torment at Flemmings hand, escapes, etc. This drove her essentially mad. In this part of her wheel, she finds Garcia who happens to be one hell of a badass who actually falls in love with her and willing to keep fighting to break her out of the cycle. Damn this game was fun

KageMaru

Ricker said:

Pretty much this. I have been loving the game, but the 2D levels are the reason I haven't finished it yet. Such a buzz kill level design.

Kusagari

I can't believe people are actually quitting on this game because of the side scrolling levels. Maybe on the harder difficulties they're worse? Because on normal they were all ridiculously easy. They're not even long besides the last one.

KageMaru

Kusagari said:
I can't believe people are actually quitting on this game because of the side scrolling levels. Maybe on the harder difficulties they're worse? Because on normal they were all ridiculously easy. They're not even long besides the last one.

I never said I quit =p

It's just not something I'm eager to jump back into.

TheOddOne

John Harker said:
in the garbage bin. IIf you recall, he was telling Johnson, at one point in their relationship, she 'freaked out' the first time Garcia got a phone call while they were having dinner, because she knew Flemming was going to call looking for her. And lo' and behold, at the end of the game... Flemming calls looking for her. Seemed to me this cycle has happened before... she hunted Flemming and died at his heads, but he chose to keep her alive as his bride. Endless torture, she escapes, finds someone to protect her, get's dragged back down to hell... suffers torment at Flemmings hand, escapes, etc. This drove her essentially mad. In this part of her wheel, she finds Garcia who happens to be one hell of a badass who actually falls in love with her and willing to keep fighting to break her out of the cycle. Damn this game was fun
You filled in some of the things I was really iffy about. Damn, awesome story.

Owzers

Kusagari said:

Hey guys, suck less!

I think i played on Normal...or Easy. Big Boner stage 2 gave me a lot of trouble until i read some tips and really relaxed then i did okay. Side scrolling wasn't hard except for the boss fight, but i didn't find it fun at all either.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Sidescrolling stuff was a complete waste of time. I much preferred the Big Boner sections, although initially I did die a couple of times. It was for sure a lot less boring than the sidescrolling stages.

kliklik

Banned
John Harker said:

Yep, that's the impression I got too. And yes, it really really was =D

sillymonkey321 said:
HSide scrolling wasn't hard except for the boss fight, but i didn't find it fun at all either.

Boss tip for anyone who's having trouble: Stay to the very far left of the screen and you can't get hit by any projectiles. No dodging required. Boss is a cinch.

I beat the game on Legion Hunter and didn't die once. o_o How can people say this game is hard? The normal enemies, stun, run up, instakill.

The rolly guys... let them run into each other, or run into the walls? Then kill. The guys with the red vial things on their shoulder, shoot the sticky shot and blow it up, easy kill. The sidescrolling levels are a joke, too.

So yeah..

kliklik

Banned
DarknessTear said:
No. I can't brag! The game is too easy. Maybe if I beat like.. Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 on Master Ninja without dying..

Well some people have had difficulties. I can tell you from experience that there is nothing more aggravating than having trouble with a section on a game, coming to a thread for help, and seeing people say "what, you had trouble with that? I had no trouble at all! You should be fine." Makes you want to reach into the internet to grab them by the collar and give them the stink-eye.

DarknessTear said:
I beat the game on Legion Hunter and didn't die once. o_o How can people say this game is hard?

kliklik said:
Well some people have had difficulties. I can tell you from experience that there is nothing more aggravating than having trouble with a section on a game, coming to a thread for help, and seeing people say "what, you had trouble with that? I had no trouble at all! You should be fine." Makes you want to reach into the internet to grab them by the collar and give them the stink-eye.

Yeah... and I'm not even sure I believe the not dying once part. Not once ? Really ?
No Paula catching up with you ? No getting stuck behind a door or a cloud in the shooter ? All three big boner sections in a row without a single mistake ? Knowing exactly what to do with all the bosses, including the last one ?

Still, good for you if true.

But to pretend to wonder how can people say this game is hard is downright insulting on top of being the opposite of helpful. I think I'll go in the Demon's souls thread advising people having trouble with Maneater or some other shit to pull themselves together. It's very easy after all - did it on my first try.

Ricker

Ok i`m not the best player but I did reach 5-2 after all but I can`t beat that section yet because 1,I hate having to face 2 waves of ennemies before the wave I can`t beat starts and 2, dying there because of a fucking QTE and having to redo the first 2 waves again...drain some of my health,heck eliminate some of my tequila`s during the grab but don`t kill me for good because I miss some QTE prompts...jesus.

TheOddOne

Ricker said:
Ok i`m not the best player but I did reach 5-2 after all but I can`t beat that section yet because 1,I hate having to face 2 waves of ennemies before the wave I can`t beat starts and 2, dying there because of a fucking QTE and having to redo the first 2 waves again...drain some of my health,heck eliminate some of my tequila`s during the grab but don`t kill me for good because I miss some QTE prompts...jesus.
Fire Hot Boners at them, dodge, shoot. Rinse and repeat.

Always dodge and run away so that they don't grab you.

Sticky bomb is indeed the best way to dispose of them, you'd run out of ammo with any other weapon (including the dentist though it would seem like the obvious choice for this particular fight).

And a tip for the end of the game : upgrade the dentist as much as possible (damage and capacity should be max).

Ricker said:

Ricker said:

Ricker said:

Ricker said:
You mean there`s more Big Boner sections in Chapter 5 and 6 ???? please noooooo hehe....made it past Chapter 4 finally but now i`m stuck in Chapter 5, I only have ammo left on the Bonechrusher I think it`s called(the green weapon)and i`m at a mini Boss fight(guys with all the electrodes on them)....might have a hard time there as well lol.

Ricker said:

just to let you know, man: every time i consider getting back into this (somewhere in chapter 3), i come here, read your latest post, & decide to pass :) . yer a better man than i, & i thank you...

mattp

semiconscious said:
just to let you know, man: every time i consider getting back into this (somewhere in chapter 3), i come here, read your latest post, & decide to pass :) . yer a better man than i, & i thank you...
you're only hurting yourself, man

kliklik

Banned
BaronLundi said:
And a tip for the end of the game : upgrade the dentist as much as possible (damage and capacity should be max).

Very important. But also the shotgun damage for when you face six-eyes if you're playing on Legion hunter. It's easier to get him to the vulnerable state and the fight doesn't take as long. I think some people who hadn't fully upped shotgun damage reported 30-40 minute fights because they couldn't get him to the vulnerable state.

kliklik said:
Very important. But also the shotgun damage for when you face six-eyes if you're playing on Legion hunter. It's easier to get him to the vulnerable state and the fight doesn't take as long. I think some people who hadn't fully upped shotgun damage reported 30-40 minute fights because they couldn't get him to the vulnerable state.

Didn't use the shotgun once except for when he protected himself with the green errr... cheese bell. But it may be a matter of preference (easier to aim and reload quickly with the boner).

The way I see it is : shoot him however you see fit > stop shooting when Paula's out > dodge his attack > resume shooting > .... > green bell > skullblaster in hole > (he should be weakened now) > sticky bomb > dentist on red floating parts.

The fight was indeed long on legion hunter.

kliklik

Banned
BaronLundi said:
Didn't use the shotgun once except for when he protected himself with the green errr... cheese bell. But it may be a matter of preference (easier to aim and reload quickly with the boner).

The way I see it is : shoot him however you see fit > stop shooting when Paula's out > dodge his attack > resume shooting > .... > green bell > skullblaster in hole > (he should be weakened now) > sticky bomb > dentist on red floating parts.

The fight was indeed long on legion hunter.

I always ended up out of ammo and needing to reload for the brief window that he's vulnerable when I was using the red pistol (which means you gotta fight him allllll over again), and if I used the blue machinegun, I ended up too low on ammo for the floating part and the fight afterwards.

Also, the time period that he's vulnerable after the green bell section... I never found that long enough to squeeze out a sticky bomb and shoot it. It is unmistakably a shorter time period than when you make him vulnerable just by shooting him. So I always just waited through that and made him vulnerable shortly after just by shooting.

When I used my fully damage upped green shotgun on Legion hunter, the fight took 12 minutes. I timed it because I had read those horror story posts and was wondering how I'd fare on Legion with a higher dam shotgun than them.

Top Bottom