• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shady streamer 'DarkSydePhil' solicits $1K+ for receiving false copyright strikes

DSP15.jpg

I say shady because this particular streamer, DarkSydePhil (DSP), has been known to say and do shady shit in the past, involving disclosing confidential medical information about his-then fiance to the internet. If you know who DSP, you might be facepalming right now, or looking in intrigue. Either way, these past few days he has in my opinion committed himself to conning/scamming his fans to beg for money for financial gain through a legal situation that I'm about to roughly breakdown.

So, the story:
This past Friday DSP allegedly received 2 copyright strikes from Rockstar Games, Inc in which he immediately described as illegitimate himself. He took to Twitter to describe the situation briefly and also during the Twitch stream he did. However, DSP also had a genuine copyright strike from Atlus that hit him on June 22nd last month, meaning he had 3 strikes. However, as we know that on YouTube copyright strikes only last for 2 weeks unless the strike is counter-claimed by the claimant and then would remain there. Now, let's add 2 weeks from the 22nd. The date ends at 4th July, which ironically is American Independence day. Though as I said above, DSP said he had 3 strikes on July 7th. That's an extra 3 days after the Atlus copyright strike would have ended. So where am I going with this? He was telling his fans on Twitter that he had 3 strikes on July 7th, when he should have only had 2, since he was saying his ability to upload videos was taken away that would have meant he had 3 strikes. But there's more, with the fact that he went to Twitch to make an "emergency" stream where he begged his fans for bits and cheers to support his upcoming vacation this Wednesday, and also made a Twitlonger about this.

So in summary, quickly, July 7th he apparently received 2 copyright strikes from Rockstar Games, Inc which he himself said were not genuine. He went to Twitter and Twitch to make public announcements regarding 3 strikes against his channel, the extra from Atlus, although the expiration date of the strike would have ended 3 days prior. However, it may not be known to all, but asking your followers/fans on Twitch for bits/cheers/donations for financial gain is actually against Twitch's 'Bits Acceptable Use Policy' TOS. And DSP does this almost every single day he streams. Let's take a quote from the TOS:
Improper and/or inappropriate uses include, but are not limited to:
i. Soliciting money or monetary value in exchange for Bits, or exchanging Bits for money or monetary value;
ii. Soliciting Bits in exchange for money or monetary value, or exchanging money or monetary value for Bits;
iii. Soliciting goods, services or digital content (including displaying certain chat messages, playing a game, being “friends,” or starting a private conversation) in exchange for Bits, or exchanging Bits for goods or services or digital content;
iv. Soliciting Bits for goods or services or digital content (including displaying certain chat messages, playing a game, being “friends,” or starting a private conversation), or exchanging goods or services or digital content for Bits;
v. Giving Bits to a broadcaster as a payment substitute to a broadcaster, or in response to a request for financial support; or
vi. Soliciting Bits for donations or other financial support.
i., v. and vi. in particular show that asking your fans to donate via bits/cheers is against the TOS, and as mentioned, he does this every day both on Twitch and in his weekly VLOGs on his YouTube channel.

That aside, it's of my opinion that the 2 allegedly false strikes from Rockstar Games, Inc that DSP claimed he got are either completely made up by him, OR he is using these fake strikes to solicit money from his fans. Somebody added up the total amount that DSP was donated during the broadcast he did about the 2 copyright strikes and well...:

"As I was asked to check on the Twitch income for the Rockstar strikes emergency, I checked on-screen tips too: ~$899.50, plus ~$272.12." He made over $1K from his viewers for this "emergency" copyright situation I am not the only one who thinks these 2 strikes were fake, or that DSP took advantage of them to beg/solicit/ask his viewers/fans for money on Twitch, Twitter AND YouTube.

Is this behaviour allowed? Can a YouTuber streaming on Twitch solicit his fans for money through, what appears to be, false copyright strikes? Oh and by the way, all 3 strikes are allegedly now removed, just 2 days before his vacation begins. As far as I know, copyright strikes (that are genuine) from giants such as Rockstar, do not last for 3 days then magically disappear; despite contact with them or a MCN directly, though I am not 100% on this. However, there seems to be a disgruntle of facts that his genuine Atlus strike lasted 17 days, whereas the 2 alleged strikes from Rockstar Games, Inc only lasted 3.

ZangBa

This is a lot effort, OP. More effort than anything DSP puts into himself. He begs for money everyday, this time is really no different.

Fancolors

Goddamn DSP. If he played his cards right back in YouTube's beginnings, dude could been huge now.

I can't believe he is still around.

He's been breaking ToS for sure, but Twitch won't do anything about it. This has been an ongoing pattern with him. Bad thing happens > do emergency vlog > beg for money > profit. His fans actually fall for it every time.

Literally all I know about DSP is from the GAF threads about his disgusting behavior. Rather than not being banned on youtube/twitch, I'm more concerned/confused about why he not only has fans, but has fans donating to him to make sure he keeps streaming.

Literally all I know about DSP is from the GAF threads about his disgusting behavior. Rather than not being banned on youtube/twitch, I'm more concerned/confused about why he not only has fans, but has fans donating to him to make sure he keeps streaming.

Kinda like Spoony, was really popular back in the days and still got that hard nugget of supporters from it.

13ruce

Banned
Ah the gamer with the worst gaming skills known to mankind and a crazy ego.... Kinda expected he would do crazy shit. If you don't know the guy i highly recommend the this is how you don't play mgs video's (don't worry not made by him so no free views for him). He screams fuck Kojima like crazy lol and is the worst player i have ever seen.

How this guy has a fanbase? I dunno...

Timu

He's been breaking ToS for sure, but Twitch won't do anything about it. This has been an ongoing pattern with him. Bad thing happens > do emergency vlog > beg for money > profit. His fans actually fall for it every time.
Yep, that happened a lot this year...it's getting crazy now!

Justinh

This freakin' guy...

I thought that when you got three strikes, it was a "do not pass go" situation and your channel was just nuked, not "unable to upload videos."

I mean, I'm no expert, I just thought that was the way it was.

Ah the gamer with the worst gaming skills known to mankind.... Kinda expected he would do crazy shit. If you don't know the guy i highly recommend the this is how you don't play mgs video's. He screams fuck Kojima like crazy lol and is the worst player i have ever seen.

How this guy has a fanbase? I dunno...

It's not that he has the worst gaming skills of all time even though it's true, but he's also a piece of shit human being on top of that

Not surprising. DSP has done quite a few things I disagree with (Other than being impossible to watch) and honestly I feel like he's a guy who's in it for the money, not the love. If he can get a quick 1K from being dishonest to the few people who actually like him, I don't doubt he'd do it multiple times either.

Does it really matter if his fans give him money?

you can actually see my donation in the OP. I only did $2, same username as on here.

When he was first starting out, I legitimately enjoyed his videos. I would watch full playthroughs of his, the only time I have ever done that. Hes been around so long that I would legit be kinda sad to see him go, even though he has become an asshole. The "This is how you dont..." series is some of the most entertaining stuff on youtube. And anytime he plays a souls game(which he was at the time of my donation), is very fun to watch imo.

Matty77

I don't get this or the effort put into it.

Isn't any DSP following based on watching a human train wreck, and if so isn't this par for the course.

You can find begging distasteful but if people want to donate money to him so he can continue to redefine the bounds of human idiocy I don't see the issue. Distasteful yes, unethical maybe but it's not breaking any laws that I can see.

If your not actually donating to him I don't see the reason for the outrage, and though I don't find watching him fail funny and do not donate money to him if others do because it entertains them who am I to judge?

Unless laws are being broken I kind of see and think of money spent on entertainment to be completely subjective. If you find it that distasteful wouldn't be easier to just ignore him than create a thread and get yourself worked up?

I am pretty sure the majority of GAF is not being "fooled" by DSP.

Boke1879

DSP aint thinking of an elaborate plot like this. OP you put more thought into this.

Dude asks for donations/money every time he streams and his fans end up breaking out the wallets.

I used to mod for the guy on both his Twitch chat and his forum.

Between his own ridiculous and ever-increasing faux pas, the legion of online stalkers that record and analyse his every move and the sheer amount of high-school drama that came with it all, walking away was the best decision I ever made.

Bakercat

Lol, I literally started looking into DSP and all his bullshit over the years yesterday cause I got bored. Found a lot of stuff from YouTube about him and his shitty ex girlfriend. I love
the, "this is how you don't play series" too. I think they get more views than his main content. Also, for those that don't know much about DSP, there is a pretty good mini documentary I found that explains everything about him from the beginning. It's 30 minutes long, but well worth the time to watch for all the bullshit.

DarksydePhil Down the Rabbit Hole

Top Bottom