• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shady streamer 'DarkSydePhil' solicits $1K+ for receiving false copyright strikes

Gorillaz

InApJj7.jpg
I'm laughing hard as fuck right now but I shouldn't

Dude needs help

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Following Phil is like watching the world's greatest trainwreck. It just doesn't stop.
And with every crash, the conductor will scream it's not his fault. That's DSP.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
"
i. Soliciting money or monetary value in exchange for Bits, or exchanging Bits for money or monetary value;"

by OP's logic, we should ban summer games done quick/agdq every year

Timu

Yeah i agree the first few parody videos (the this is how you don't play) were funny but some channels literally are dedicated to making them on a regular basis wich is abit too much.
Yeah, there's like over 400 This Is How You Don't Play videos nowadays!

L Thammy

What is going on in this pic?

It is making me uncomfortable.

See:

Isn't DSP the guy who got caught masturbating on stream?

See:

But I have to admit, I'm not familiar with YouTube's rules, so I'm just kind of confused here. I'd like to think Phil's not so bad as to actively scam his fans, too.

Was there anything Phil could have done about the fake copyright claims, and could those fake copyright claims have been abused so that he actually faces the three strikes problem? If he faces the three strikes problem, would it be visible to a viewer like an account suspension? I mean, do we have any way of knowing whether or not Phil is facing a legitimate issue?

Strax

Yeah i agree the first few parody videos (the this is how you don't play) were funny but some channels literally are dedicated to making them on a regular basis wich is abit too much.

There is a 3 hour podcast/video about his breakup with his girlfriend made by people who hate him. The video has over 100,000 views and only came out a month ago.

He's bleeding subs and money so no surprise he'd do anything to keep the money going as long as possible before he needs to go back to working.

Averon

I always found DSP's "Oh I'm so desperate! I'm on the verge of ruin!!" shtick he trots out on a regular basis to either be a scam to fool people into donating to him or grossly exaggerated to gain sympathy.

In either case, this guy is not trustworthy imo.

Yeah, but he was following followers for a reason. We are talking about someone who was too lazy to get a capture card and recorded footage with a camera for "couch experience".

What he was doing wasn't unique but he was one of the few Let's Players that had a personality.

Wagram

DSP isn't a mastermind. He's a fucking moron and the OP is completely fluff bullshit with no substantiated evidence.

Timu

There is a 3 hour podcast/video about his breakup with his girlfriend made by people who hate him. The video has over 100,000 views and only came out a month ago.
You're referring to the Sons of Kojima, who normally make 1-4 hours vids about him.

Farsi

I always found DSP's "Oh I'm so desperate! I'm on the verge of ruin!!" shtick he trots out on a regular basis to either be a scam to fool people into donating to him or grossly exaggerated to gain sympathy.

In either case, this guy is not trustworthy imo.

Nah, honestly looking at his stats all added up including his patreon and the average cuts, unless he saved up a bunch of money in his prime which I doubt because he was too stubborn to open a paypal account when his fans asked him too. He needs the money. It wouldn’t shock me if he’s in serious debt honestly depending on how much his mortgage is if he has one.

Nah, honestly looking at his stats all added up including his patreon and the average cuts, unless he saved up a bunch of money in his prime which I doubt because he was too stubborn to open a paypal account when his fans asked too. He needs the money. It wouldn’t shock me if he’s in serious debt honestly depending on how much is mortgage is if he has one.
He lives in Seattle and houses there aren't cheap so I imagine he has one.

As others have said, dude's not intelligent enough to pull something like this off. Dude legitly compared the American Revolution to restaurant franchising on his 4th of July stream.

woof

them jew jokes

forgot about those

Unlike Weston Chandler, the creator of Sonichu (who the creator of that video also did a Down the Rabbit Hole on), who I sympathise with due to his condition and the extent of harassment sent to him, it's really hard to sympathise with DSP due to his antagonistic behaviour and overt greed. That said, people do take it way too far, and often cherry pick the worst moments from his playthroughs.

DSP aint thinking of an elaborate plot like this. OP you put more thought into this.

Dude asks for donations/money every time he streams and his fans end up breaking out the wallets.

I mean, its not like it's any different from other Twitch streamers who take donations.

Nah, honestly looking at his stats all added up including his patreon and the average cuts, unless he saved up a bunch of money in his prime which I doubt because he was too stubborn to open a paypal account when his fans asked him too. He needs the money. It wouldn't shock me if he's in serious debt honestly depending on how much his mortgage is if he has one.

He bought a house. Apparently he's living in a pretty expensive neighborhood.

If he were smart he'd lean into all these parody videos and mock accounts and use them to leverage at least some alternative revenue stream since it's obvious his gaming shit isn't buoying him financially anymore.

If he were smart enough to do this, he would have been smart enough to carve his niche deeper so he at least had, you know, a freaking brand. Something to grow, something that wasn't slowly dying and stagnating over a decade of neglect and being a shit human being.

Boke1879

As others have said, dude's not intelligent enough to pull something like this off. Dude legitly compared the American Revolution to restaurant franchising on his 4th of July stream.

Unlike Weston Chandler, the creator of Sonichu (who the creator of that video also did a Down the Rabbit Hole on), who I sympathise with due to his condition and the extent of harassment sent to him, it's really hard to sympathise with DSP due to his antagonistic behaviour and overt greed. That said, people do take it way too far, and often cherry pick the worst moments from his playthroughs.

I mean, its not like it's any different from other Twitch streamers who take donations.

Yea i really don't have an issue with him asking for donations. way too many people do it anyway. He's definitely scummy. But him begging isn't new and it's definitely no exclusive to him.

Timu

It's crazy that there are channels that only do This Is How You Don't Plays on him as making those vids take a long time to do. The most insane ones are those that are multi part and one vid being 3+ hours long!

EmiPrime

Woooooow, this is bullshit. He didn't even do anything! Bunch of scrubs spamming copyright strikes. *racist joke* *annoying laugh*

Haines

Banned
Ive followed twitch since the justin.tv days religiously.

Never paid a dime in donations or subscriptions.

Its insane how this service hosts all these shady people screwing kids outa hard earned money.

I love twitch, but i cannot stand the whole money side of it.

Ryaaan14

Banned
I have been following this DSP shitshow ever since he got dropped from Machinima this year.

It may make me a bad person but I just eat up all this misfortune. Dude is the biggest scumbag piece of shit ever.

I have been following this DSP shitshow ever since he got dropped from Machinima this year.

It may make me a bad person but I just eat up all this misfortune. Dude is the biggest scumbag piece of shit ever.

Him being a racist and anti-semite helps a bit with making him easy to dislike.

"
i. Soliciting money or monetary value in exchange for Bits, or exchanging Bits for money or monetary value;"

Does GDQ ask for bits specifically?

Don't know why Twitch makes the distinction, though. I mean, bits ARE money.

KarmaCow

Isn't this what bits are for? I don't get it.

You can buy bits with real money to tip streamers and that reads like Twitch doesn't want the opposite/people cashing it out, ie. a streamer saying they'll give you $4 if you cheer 500 bits.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Does GDQ ask for bits specifically?

Don't know why Twitch makes the distinction, though. I mean, bits ARE money.

They tried to solicit for 5 million bits and was really pushy on the last day, they weren't close to the goals though

mrlion

"

That's different though it is an approved charity that is allowed to ask for donations for a cause.

Top Bottom