• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shady streamer 'DarkSydePhil' solicits $1K+ for receiving false copyright strikes

stn

I got in a discussion once with him over ST. My position was that touch-of-death combo setups were a huge part of Dictator/M. Bison's game plan. He called me an idiot and said I didn't know the game at all. All of this given that I've played hundreds of matches with the best Bison on all of Fightcade, and still do (close friends).

I unsubbed this prick and never looked back.

I get depressed hearing about Dsp. He always seems frustrated playing games and doesn't seem to be enjoying himself and heard he broke up with his partner and also has no actual friend anymore. Can't see this going well for him in the future.

So the guy who I first found out about because he was asking for money when his identity was stolen like a decade ago, is once again asking for money.

People care about celebrities, especially when things turn shady. He's a special case because he's been in the business for so long.

Celebrity? 99.9% of the world has never heard of him... Celebrity is a bit much. I guess i see it as i was never in danger of ever giving him a penny... Why anyone would I'll never understand it.

Viewers voluntarily donate money to streamers they like. It's how this whole streaming thing works.

The only sad thing in this thread is how much effort went into discrediting someone who the OP clearly doesn't like. Especially when nothing the streamer did even affects anyone negatively.

Blam

I get depressed hearing about Dsp. He always seems frustrated playing games and doesn't seem to be enjoying himself and heard he broke up with his partner and also has no actual friend anymore. Can't see this going well for him in the future.

Yeah I know how you feel. Just sad that this is all gonna catch up to him sooner or later.

Timu

I still watch him on stream sometimes, I've actually watched him since 2011 actually. His community was huge back then, but a lot of fans have deserted him because of his attitude. I and many people have told him to go edit his videos before and he just flat out refuses to do it because "raw gameplay is his unique thing". His Dark Souls 2 playthrough is quite fun to watch because his salt, rage and blaming the game is funny, so he is entertaining when he does certain games, which is why I still stick around. He's using this OP build and it's so damn annoying though. If he played his cards right he would be big. I don't watch his videos on Youtube anymore because his videos are....just boring to watch for long periods of time because of no editing. I'm surprised he didn't ban me for telling him that, lol
Editing is something he normally refuses to do in his playthroughs. That's why you have parts in vids where he makes no progress at all(like some of his recent Dark Souls 2 vids)

I've spent more time watching TIHYDP videos than I want to admit...
Well, they tend to show why many people watch him, which is rage and such.

Are you talking about the SoK? Yeah they are kind of weird. But I really enjoy a TIHYDP of a new souls game. DSPs rage is funny especially because he blames everything but himself. The same goes for his rage after loosing in a beat 'em up game and for some other videos like the hospital sketch that was posted in this thread. But the truth is, even that gets boring after a while. I also tried to watch his unedited gameplay on YT/Twitch but his commentary during normal gameplay is either to childish (stupid sex jokes) or boring, he just burps into my ear, talks about his personal stuff or gets triggered by chat comments.
His bigest problem is that he encourages people to laugh at him instead of laughing with him because of all the hate and rage he is throwing at people, devs and games. People stumbling uppon his videos will also find the DSP is a racist videos on their YT recommendations after some time. This definitely doesn't help to make him look likable.
Yeah, that's true. In fact, if he would change his attitude, none of this would had happened!

mrlion

Why do people give him money?

Because of the pity factor. When he gets into these "emergencies" (99% of the time he exaggerates them or its just a miscommunication which is why this thread exists) his fans and his 3 lackeys of moneymaking come to the rescue and donate obscene amounts of money to him. People feel bad that's all. Why they feel bad about an unemployed 36 year old is beyond me.

Farsi

Playing his cards right would have to involve spending millions on some sort of miracle personality transplant.

Have you seen some of the top YouTubers over the years? There have been some slimy fucks far worse than DSP that have achieved great success. They just were crafty enough to see where the trends were going and capitalized on them. DSP isn’t a closer. He’s a the guy who complains about the closers.

Foxxsoxx

The one and only DSP

x7RKhX.gif

MechaX

DSP gets really salty but LowTierGod rage quits matches a lot!

Oh it's not even just the matches, the both of them have their own... feats in general.

Like, DSP may have jacked it on stream, but then again... LTG leaves gallon sized piss jugs around his house...

The one and only DSP

x7RKhX.gif

I miss John Rambo, hasn't been the same since Phil moved. Random question, is there anything that you believe Phil could do to fix his situation right now? It's really depressing seeing a man destroy himself like that, but at the same time he kind of brought it on himself. Arguably it's that move which caused most of DSP's troubles today. Before it he still had a thriving community around him. He should have embraced his reputation as someone who fails a lot in games and made people laugh along with him, he would be huge if he did.

Yea some of the montages are hilarious. I was taking more about the podcasts and commentaries or the videos that desperately find any angle to make him look bad.

It's pathetic, you'd think people would have something more productive to do on their channels.

Bahaha, they don't need any angles to make him look bad. He does all that on his own. And people have always gotten joy from watching douchebags get mocked. Welcome to earth.

DSP's ex-fiance (Leanna/PandaleeGames) had an anxiety attack at work bad enough they called an ambulance. Phil stopped his stream to deal with it. When he got home he did a vlog/stream telling the whole private story while she slept. She moved out very shortly after he uploaded it. This animation visualizes the story hilariously.

One of DSP's many narcissistic rants animated. This was the one that lead to Leanna breaking up with him, Phil exposing all that personal info to the world.

I feel more of these need to be made. Instead of Game Grumps stuff, do Phil's insane rants. Including the one where he clearly ripped off South Park.

I just know that one of his fans is going to offer a lot of bits to make him say racist shit. His Dead Space 2 and MGS videos show he has no problem with that.

Holy shit. Yeah no wonder she left his ass. I think I saw his one video where he introduced her to his fans and she seemed like a nice person, which in that case it certainly is his loss. Man what an idiot. Nobody in their right mind would do that.

Have you seen some of the top YouTubers over the years? There have been some slimy fucks far worse than DSP that have achieved great success. They just were crafty enough to see where the trends were going and capitalized on them. DSP isn’t a closer. He’s a the guy who complains about the closers.

Yes, slimy fucks who don't play the victim card all day, every day. There's a reason he was first yet didn't make it. There are characteristics of his personality that would never allow it.

Holy shit. Yeah no wonder she left his ass. I think I saw his one video where he introduced her to his fans and she seemed like a nice person, which in that case it certainly is his loss. Man what an idiot. Nobody in their right mind would do that.

According to Phil they broke up a month before and not because of the hospital video, make of that what you will.

I pity the dude. He has no one but his "fans" and they won't stick around for long. They'll grow up and move on and then he'll have no one. Hell, He truly doesn't have anyone now and it sadly looks like he's gonna be alone for the rest of his life.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
He never paid John and the other guy in that gif the money they deserved. He used the money he got from that to buy a new car.
That's not entirely accurate. John said that he got paid because he yelled at DSP finally and Phil agreed to pay him. He never paid the others since they never asked.

Sounded more like a case of Phil living in his own world rather than him actively screwing anyone. (Still crappy tho.) That's the risk of assuming there is some kind of implicit contract.

Boke1879

I miss John Rambo, hasn't been the same since Phil moved. Random question, is there anything that you believe Phil could do to fix his situation right now? It's really depressing seeing a man destroy himself like that, but at the same time he kind of brought it on himself. Arguably it's that move which caused most of DSP's troubles today. Before it he still had a thriving community around him. He should have embraced his reputation as someone who fails a lot in games and made people laugh along with him, he would be huge if he did.

Nope. Because Phil rarely takes accountability for himself. He's burned bridges and lost friends. Hell his girlfriend left him a couple of months ago right?

He was one of the first people on youtube to start what he did. He amassed a huge following because of that. Then he refused to change with the times. As Twitch started to blow up he just hunkered down more in the youtube loop. Him posting videos instead of jumping to streaming and making it there as well.

Then after the ship sailed he went to twitch. Most of his "fans" at the time didn't switch over. Then he stopped Twitch because he was getting trolled constantly.

Now it's just been a constant cycle of him doing literally everything possible to just get by.

That's not entirely accurate. John said that he got paid because he yelled at DSP finally and Phil agreed to pay him. He never paid the others since they never asked.

Sounded more like a case of Phil living in his own world rather than him actively screwing anyone. (Still crappy tho.) That's the risk of assuming there is some kind of implicit contract.

He still bought a new car which was fucked up.

Boke1879

According to Phil they broke up a month before and not because of the hospital video, make of that what you will.

I'm sure that hospital video was the straw that broke the camels back for her to move out though.

I wouldn't be shocked if she just got tired of his shit. With as much he begs and complains about money on his vlogs. I can imagine he was giving her shit for "not pulling her weight." so to speak.

L Thammy

I watched that DSP documentary thing. Was DSP seriously really that big early on? I didn't hear about his until after his downfall, I think. I understand that he's getting hundreds of views on YouTube now instead of tens of thousands, and apparently he used to be on the front page, but I'm having trouble putting that in perspective. I'm also trying to understand the claim that he could have been something big if he played his cards right.

Glancing at Deceased Crab's views, it looks like he was getting around 10-30K per video ten years ago, maybe around half of what DSP got. And he was supposed to be one of the early influential YouTube Let's Players, right? He's collapsed to around 1-3K per video, which is still multiple times what DSP gets now, but it's a significant fall.

Then looking at Protonjon, who I think was the first or one of the first Let's Player to get monetized, and he was getting like 200K at that time. Now he's down to 30K-60K on his main channel with 75-100K on his second one. Much better than even DSP's early numbers, but still a decrease.

I know their current numbers won't point at what they were ten years ago, but I'm not sure where else to look. It seems to me like he would have taken a hit as more competition entered the scene anyway; the opportunity he missed was better weathering the storm and having a more stable career.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Holy shit. He really seems to have it in for Chinese people in particular.
Yeah, most of his racism is directed at Asians from what I've seen. And it's not subtle stuff, he's full 1940's style racist when there's an Asian in a game. So he did a let's play for Sleeping Dogs. It is pretty fucked.

Boke1879

I watched that DSP documentary thing. Was DSP seriously really that big early on? I didn't hear about his until after his downfall, I think. I understand that he's getting hundreds of views on YouTube now instead of tens of thousands, and apparently he used to be on the front page, but I'm having trouble putting that in perspective. I'm also trying to understand the claim that he could have been something big if he played his cards right.

Glancing at Deceased Crab's views, it looks like he was getting around 10-30K per video ten years ago, maybe around half of what DSP got. And he was supposed to be one of the early influential YouTube Let's Players, right? He's collapsed to around 1-3K per video, which is still multiple times what DSP gets now, but it's a significant fall.

Then looking at Protonjon, who I think was the first or one of the first Let's Player to get monetized, and he was getting like 200K at that time. Now he's down to 30K-60K on his main channel with 75-100K on his second one. Much better than even DSP's early numbers, but still a decrease.

I know their current numbers won't point at what they were ten years ago, but I'm not sure where else to look. It seems to me like he would have taken a hit as more competition entered the scene anyway; the opportunity he missed was better weathering the storm and having a more stable career.

When I say he could have been better of had he played his cards right.

I mean he could have not been stubborn when Twitch was just starting out. The man flat our refused to stream for the longest time. Had he started on Twitch early on he could have possibly gotten himself a nice base.

But no he's at a point where he has to do both just to get by

The biggest downfall was he never went out of his way to improve himself and his tech. By the time 2010 hit most people had capture cards and were streaming direct capture of games. Phil didn't do that. He thought capture cards were not the "pure" way of recording a Let's Play. He fumbled his sponsorship with Machinima and because of his toxic attitude he can't get other sponsors or make healthy connections with anyone. The only way he can afford to buy games and keep up is by trading them in and selling figures and statues. The simple fact is that he can't hang with today's Let's Play community.

Top Bottom