• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shady streamer 'DarkSydePhil' solicits $1K+ for receiving false copyright strikes

I think he used to have a comfy office job but stopped working there because he really wanted to stream and now doesn't want to work at an office job because he wants to be a streamer?..

It's true. He can't seem to get rid of it which is also why he's in such debt now.

Yep. Which makes his reasons for moving even worse.
Dude.................
I think he used to have a comfy office job but stopped working there because he really wanted to stream and now doesn't want to work at an office job because he wants to be a streamer?..

According to him years ago, he got laid off around late 2000s. By that time he had grown a decent sized following that he decided to go full-time with Let's Plays. If he gets a job he probably see's it as defeat from the "trolls" and "haters" or some BS like that.

Dude.................

According to him years ago, he got laid off around late 2000s. By that time he had grown a decent sized following that he decided to go full-time with Let's Plays. If he gets a job he probably see's it as defeat from the "trolls" and "haters" or some BS like that.

1) His grandma or aunt (can't remember which) was originally going to take over the lease or pay him rent (once again, can't remember), but due to a medical emergency wasn't able to, if I remember correctly. So now he's stuck with an expensive ass condo in Connecticut he doesn't live in, while also living in an expensive ass house in Seattle.

2) The thing is, he has a large and dedicated enough following that he can still do what he does as a hobby to make some nice side cash while also maintaining a day job, but he's too stupid to do that.

What's this? DSP is a shady asshat who regularly convinces his fans to pay him all while breaking the rules of every services he's using to solicite money? AND the sky is blue?! Quite the turn of events...

But yeah, in all seriousness, fuck him...

Sandfox

Dude.................

Yeah, he got laid off and decided to see if he could make full-time streaming work. I remember watching him back then.

Stencil

OP are you a lawyer? Or a detective? That's a weird amount of research you seemed to have put into this...

So it seems like you're trying to catch a man (regardless of the fact that he seems a bit unsavory) on a technicality to stop his fans from giving him their money? Who cares, people spend money on dumb shit all the time. If you really want to be some kind of a whistle blower, write YouTube or Twitch a letter or something.

Giga Man

He has the same attitude and personality as Trump just without all the money. But honestly everyone should know by now the type of person DSP is and I don't feel bad for those that donated money.
The Trump comparison is fairly accurate. He always boasts in his vlogs about how he "tells it like it is", but he just rants with no substance, and some of things he says and believes are straight up vile.

I've honestly always wondered if DSP had some really terrible case of bronchitis. Lots of throat clearing, coughing, nasal clearing, etc.

I honestly think he should see a doctor with all money he's leeching off of his fanbase.
I don't think he ever got his "back injury" fixed either. He just uses it as an excuse every chance he gets.

Wow. This guy still around? I remember him from the early SFIV days.

His act got tired fast.
The sad part is that I used to find that act funny. I was searching SFIV videos to see if I wanted the game, and I found his channel. After that, I followed his youtube escapades for a while. His Assassin's Creed 2 playthrough is a particular favorite of mine and probably his peak in my opinion. Eventually, though, he got stale, and I couldn't stand his onslaught of daily uploads that flooded my sub box every day of LPs I didn't care about. He was also steadily revealing himself as more and more of a repulsive asshole with no redeeming qualities that I didn't want to associate myself with, so I unsubbed. He also talks too damn much.

That was a long time ago, though. Nowadays, every time I see his name pop up, I just hold my head and sigh.

IronLich

Dude's been getting away with murder for years. I really doubt there will be any recourse for this situation either. And even then, he's simply not going to just bow out without a fight.

I don't really WANT someone to lose their job, but this isn't even a job for him. It's just an excuse for him to not go out and get a real job. Dude can barely make ends meet as it is. Being relieved of his Youtube responsibility would do him a favor,

Freshmaker

I am Korean.

He's said that he doesn't see how he'd manage to get another job in a business setting given he now has a large blank on his resume.

ISee

DSP is just a victim OP. If you think otherwise you are just a psychotic, jealous detractor with too much time. Use your time for something else and leave him alone. DSP only wants to entertain his audience. To do so he is working very hard every single day for 6-8 hours to play games, beg for money, burp like a disgusting pig, do racist jokes, rage, behave like an ass and insult his viewers on a regulary basis. At the end of a hard day playing games, he doesn't enjoy, DSP splits up his gameplay into a ridiculous amount of videos and than uploads them to YT without any kind of editing. Do you even understand how hard it is to upload unedited videos to YT after playing for 6 hours? No, I didn't think so. He deserves every cent he is scamming from his audience because he is a comedic genius: https://youtu.be/_JhPMbdNI5M?t=29m5s

Timu

DSP is just a victim OP. If you think otherwise you are just a psychotic, jealous detractor with too much time. Use your time for something else and leave him alone. DSP only wants to entertain his audience. To do so he is working very hard every single day for 6-8 hours to play games, beg for money, burp like a disgusting pig, do racist jokes, rage, behave like an ass and insult his viewers on a regulary basis. At the end of a hard day playing games, he doesn't enjoy, DSP splits up his gameplay into a ridiculous amount of videos and than uploads them to YT without any kind of editing. Do you even understand how hard it is to upload unedited videos to YT after playing for 6 hours? No, I didn't think so. He deserves every cent he is scamming from his audience because he is a comedic genius: https://youtu.be/_JhPMbdNI5M?t=29m5s
Oh god, not that part in the playthrough!=O

Also, you perfectly described him.

He's said that he doesn't see how he'd manage to get another job in a business setting given he now has a large blank on his resume.

I mean, why the hell does he if not for his own stupidity? Did he not create an LLC or something for his brand? I know he has some merch and swag and stuff with his name/face on it. He never did anything about making his brand it's own corporate entity to make sure he had record that he was "working" this whole time?

Jesus he's even fucking stupider than I thought if true. Dude's dicked.

Especially with the condo stuff, like dude put a fucking ad on craigslist or something to lease the damn thing.

Dante83

Banned
I have reported this to twitch with any evidence I can find, not just from here, but other places and from my own experiences as well, and twitch mentioned that they will look into it. Even if nothing happens, at least they are aware of guys like him and others who may do the same thing.

Sandfox

I have reported this to twitch with any evidence I can find, not just from here, but other places and from my own experiences as well, and twitch mentioned that they will look into it. Even if nothing happens, at least they are aware of guys like him and others who may do the same thing.

I'm sure Twitch is aware and just doesn't care about enforcing their rules depending on how popular the streamer is.

I still watch him on stream sometimes, I've actually watched him since 2011 actually. His community was huge back then, but a lot of fans have deserted him because of his attitude. I and many people have told him to go edit his videos before and he just flat out refuses to do it because "raw gameplay is his unique thing". His Dark Souls 2 playthrough is quite fun to watch because his salt, rage and blaming the game is funny, so he is entertaining when he does certain games, which is why I still stick around. He's using this OP build and it's so damn annoying though. If he played his cards right he would be big. I don't watch his videos on Youtube anymore because his videos are....just boring to watch for long periods of time because of no editing. I'm surprised he didn't ban me for telling him that, lol

ISee

I mean, why the hell does he if not for his own stupidity? Did he not create an LLC or something for his brand? I know he has some merch and swag and stuff with his name/face on it. He never did anything about making his brand it's own corporate entity to make sure he had record that he was "working" this whole time?

Jesus he's even fucking stupider than I thought if true. Dude's dicked.

Especially with the condo stuff, like dude put a fucking ad on craigslist or something to lease the damn thing.

The problem is not just the blank in his biography. It's especially his persona. Every company offering a nice and well payed job will do a basic social media search before hiring him and the results for Phil Burnell won't be pleasing. All DSP can get is a low income job and that won't be enough to pay of his massive debt. He is well aware of this dilemma and that's why he will keep on streaming and begging for money till the end. The funny thing about this is that he really dislikes playing games and even the most simple obstacle is a chore to him because he only cares about playing through a game as fast as possible.

Murkas

I can't believe there are people making multiple hour long podcast/videos about DSP. And that they have thousands of views each.

That's gotta be more hilarious than DSP.

Dremark

Banned
At this point I can't feel bad for anyone swindled by him.

Doesn't make him any less of a scumbag, but they should know not to trust him by now.

KHlover

Banned
I can't believe there are people making multiple hour long podcast/videos about DSP. And that they have thousands of views each.

That's gotta be more hilarious than DSP.
I've spent more time watching TIHYDP videos than I want to admit...

Roufianos

Yeah he is a pathatic guy and i kinda feel bad for fans who donate to him it's a money waste.

Parody videos about him are pure gold tho he even made enemy with lots of people for repeating insults about Kojima and his dumb racist jokes/slurs. + he is just a piece of shit personality wise.

Literally the worst turd of youtube/twitch tbh.

Yea some of the montages are hilarious. I was taking more about the podcasts and commentaries or the videos that desperately find any angle to make him look bad.

It's pathetic, you'd think people would have something more productive to do on their channels.

Roufianos

this, 100%. On the podcast dedicated to hating on him(sokast), they claimed to have the Founder or something of an MCN phil was partnering with for a little bit on their show for over an hour and shit talked phil together the whole time. Its ridiculous

Yea I agree completely. Who's the real loser? DSP or the people who spend their lives talking about him?

It blows my mind that this guy is somehow staying afloat.

To be honest it blows my mind how anyone actually wanted to subscribe to this guy's channel in the first place, because I wouldn't say his playthroughs were all that great at all. Maybe it was because he sucked so much at it and this was entertaining for people?

Didn't he also fuck with his long time friends which ended in with him losing them as friends? I also recall at one point he was crying in a video about how he needed money or else he'd need to quit his business. The money he received from people (why people?) was however spent on a overpriced hotel close to his home, lol.

It really doesn't seem like a pleasant person to me and his videos sure aren't all that special at all but I do want to mention that the many hate videos on YouTube are becoming quite pathetic too. There are actually tons of videos that consist of dudes talking shit about him and that he sucks and what not. It's extreme and sad.

ISee

Sudden thread twist: Who are the real loosers? The people spending their life talking about DSP or the loosers wasting their time talking about the loosers spending their life talking about DSP.

/play dramatic music now.

I think most people are just aware of his bad attitude and like to watch a TIHYDP from time to time. The whole 'spending their entire free time to stalk him angle' is a tiny bid exgarated. DSP is a very polarizing person. It's just natural for people to take notice of him.

Skronk

Banned
Sad thing about these situations is as soon as he makes an insincere apology video the very fans he scammed with then start defending him.

It's usually lonely kids who see him as a friend. There really should be harsher consequences for people like this.

ISee

Only thing worse than watching DSP videos is the weirdos that have a hate boner for the guy. Seriously who cares.

Are you talking about the SoK? Yeah they are kind of weird. But I really enjoy a TIHYDP of a new souls game. DSPs rage is funny especially because he blames everything but himself. The same goes for his rage after loosing in a beat 'em up game and for some other videos like the hospital sketch that was posted in this thread. But the truth is, even that gets boring after a while. I also tried to watch his unedited gameplay on YT/Twitch but his commentary during normal gameplay is either to childish (stupid sex jokes) or boring, he just burps into my ear, talks about his personal stuff or gets triggered by chat comments.
His bigest problem is that he encourages people to laugh at him instead of laughing with him because of all the hate and rage he is throwing at people, devs and games. People stumbling uppon his videos will also find the DSP is a racist videos on their YT recommendations after some time. This definitely doesn't help to make him look likable.

Hektor

InApJj7.jpg

The most traumatizing thing about this was how he didn't even bothered to go wash his hands and got right back to streaming

G R O S S

entremet

The Trump comparison is fairly accurate. He always boasts in his vlogs about how he "tells it like it is", but he just rants with no substance, and some of things he says and believes are straight up vile.

I don't think he ever got his "back injury" fixed either. He just uses it as an excuse every chance he gets.

The sad part is that I used to find that act funny. I was searching SFIV videos to see if I wanted the game, and I found his channel. After that, I followed his youtube escapades for a while. His Assassin's Creed 2 playthrough is a particular favorite of mine and probably his peak in my opinion. Eventually, though, he got stale, and I couldn't stand his onslaught of daily uploads that flooded my sub box every day of LPs I didn't care about. He was also steadily revealing himself as more and more of a repulsive asshole with no redeeming qualities that I didn't want to associate myself with, so I unsubbed. He also talks too damn much.

That was a long time ago, though. Nowadays, every time I see his name pop up, I just hold my head and sigh.

I never watched his not SFIV stuff. But for SFIV he would just complain about scrubs all the time he got beat lol. It was funny for a video or two, but then got tired.

Marcel

Why do people give him money?

It's my understanding that while he has the regular streamer contingent of genuine fans there are some who donate to support DSP's self-destructive feedback loop and get their kicks watching him consistently backslide and implode. People also gave money to the guy from bob's game to live in a van so you can't account for logic in these situations.

Ploid 3.0

Goddamn DSP. If he played his cards right back in YouTube's beginnings, dude could been huge now.

I can't believe he is still around.

Imagine him doing the shoutcast at EA's Battlefront 2 pre E3 event with i don't understand how portals work Justine? Match made in youtube gaming heaven. Could call their brand, cringe let's play. How long can you watch without throwing a couch through your screen?

MisterR

What a lot of effort for something that in the end is just baseless speculation. Who gives a shit if his fans want to donate to him.

What am I looking at here?

DSP's ex-fiance (Leanna/PandaleeGames) had an anxiety attack at work bad enough they called an ambulance. Phil stopped his stream to deal with it. When he got home he did a vlog/stream telling the whole private story while she slept. She moved out very shortly after he uploaded it. This animation visualizes the story hilariously.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
What am I looking at here?

One of DSP's many narcissistic rants animated. This was the one that lead to Leanna breaking up with him, Phil exposing all that personal info to the world.

I feel more of these need to be made. Instead of Game Grumps stuff, do Phil's insane rants. Including the one where he clearly ripped off South Park.

I just know that one of his fans is going to offer a lot of bits to make him say racist shit. His Dead Space 2 and MGS videos show he has no problem with that.

DSP is literally a cancer. An old organ in the streaming/LP body that has far outlasted it's natural lifespan and is dying a very painful and slow death.

Top Bottom